Strikers ECNL rumors

Whose got Next?

Look, when GDA was announced as the new girls super elite developmental league and the age change came on top of that four years ago, my phone rang off the hook from most of the old Docs ((except from Beach...lol)) looking to see if my goat would have any interest to come to their club and play for FREE!!! I mean free everything. Like no dues, no team fees, no travel cost and much much more.........I was told by all of them that the GDA is mandating that you your team flies for free and no dues for the GDA team. Come on folks, low cost anything is a dangerous phrase to use in the market place. GDA club teams needed to fully fund all GDA teams ((3 teams at the beginning)) or at least offer up some help to the poor families who can't cough up $15,000 a year to try to make the YNT.

Last edited:
The only requirement is that clubs have financial options available for players/families in order to be considered to join Next. Virtually every club that had a DA team has this sort of option for families.

You were insinuating that it is a league requirement which is false.

Nope thats not I said. When a club applies they are asked to provide proof, track records of certain items, and agreement to follow recommedations.

Your defending pay to play since you have some sort of financial stake in the matter.

Your insinuating that NExt is just a regular pay to play league but they tell you at every avenue that's it not. From the application process, club agreement, rules and regulations they are specific mentions telling you that they want to be different.

The goal or recommendations are too provide many low or no cost options not a few token ones if a club wants to or not.

Even on there main page says the same

"MLS NEXT will also aim to provide more opportunities to more players to broaden the pool of talent entering the elite youth landscape. No cost and low-cost programs will be introduced around the country to reduce barriers for new players to enter the pathway to professional soccer"

Ignore it all you want but obviously it's all there for good reasons to expand the pool not keep it like it is where only certain "demographics" are given the opportunity to participate due to there family economy situations.

Long time follower of the forums here and what I have come up with is that for some reason Lafalafa has always had a bone to pick with Strikers , he always has a opinion on their club. Never ever a positive one, and always slides in a negative comment.
Perfectly fine to have a opinion.
I do agree with the the other posters, no where does it say what you are interpreting .
I personal TFA WAS a good club many moons ago, I liked their model of help kids (parents) afford to play.
I think some LA clubs are strong, and others aren't. Just like OC, theres great clubs and not so great.
Strikers Irvine is a small club that has done well , and as of recently (last 2 years) has been on the up tick with quality of players......
something is going right there Too have that many teams in the ECNL league on top , is not by chance....
Id be curious as too what club you play for and at what age group (dont need to know either) it does feel like you have something against that club:)

More power to those clubs that can provide low or no costs to the player, they should be commended (I'm going to assume LAG, LAFC and TFA). However, for many clubs its just not a reality to cover the costs of 100+ players, they should be expected to cover some costs for those in need, but for all is unrealistic. I seriously doubt that Strikers represented to MLS Next that all players would have no or low cost options.

I can confirm that there are other clubs in the MLS Next league beyond the three mentioned that charge low (a few hundred dollars) or no club fees across-the-board for their MLS Next players (not just for those in financial need). Of course, the MLS Next teams haven't been jetting all around the country for games this year, so that makes it easier right now. Lost of clubs provided discounted fees this year in SoCal due to the pandemic.

Nope thats not I said. When a club applies they are asked to provide proof, track records of certain items, and agreement to follow recommedations.

Your defending pay to play since you have some sort of financial stake in the matter.

Your insinuating that NExt is just a regular pay to play league but they tell you at every avenue that's it not. From the application process, club agreement, rules and regulations they are specific mentions telling you that they want to be different.

The goal or recommendations are too provide many low or no cost options not a few token ones if a club wants to or not.

"MLS NEXT will also aim to provide more opportunities to more players to broaden the pool of talent entering the elite youth landscape. No cost and low-cost programs will be introduced around the country to reduce barriers for new players to enter the pathway to professional soccer"

Ignore it all you want but obviously it's all there for good reasons to expand the pool not keep it like it is where only certain "demographics" are given the opportunity to participate due to there family economy situations.
Beating a dead horse, but I will indulge. I don't think anyone is defending "pay to play". We just don't believe its a requirement, or a reality, for all MLS Next teams, particulary non-MLS Academy teams, to fully fund, or have low cost for every player on their MLS Next teams. The two links you provided are pretty soft references and/or just hopes for low cost options. Now, I haven't seen the agreement between my Club and MLS Next so it could very well be a requirement as you claim...I can't dispute that. I hope I'm wrong and I will soon be paying no or low cost fees, I just don't see it being possible with all teams. Again I commend those clubs that can provide it, but I don't disparage those that can't. It's parents choice to write a check and for whatever amount they are comfortable with.

Whose got Next?

Look, when GDA was announced as the new girls super elite developmental league and the age change came on top of that four years ago, my phone rang off the hook from most of the old Docs ((except from Beach...lol)) looking to see if my goat would have any interest to come to their club and play for FREE!!! I mean free everything. Like no dues, no team fees, no travel cost and much much more.........I was told by all of them that the GDA is mandating that you your team flies for free and no dues for the GDA team. Come on folks, low cost anything is a dangerous phrase to use in the market place. GDA club teams needed to fully fund all GDA teams ((3 teams at the beginning)) or at least offer up some help to the poor families who can't cough up $15,000 a year to try to make the YNT.

Same shit different name(s).

You think by now some would have learned the lessons but apparently not and a new set of parents a going to learn the hard way again. Many Clubs are about collecting your $ first and worrying about if they are competitve later.
Long time follower of the forums here and what I have come up with is that for some reason Lafalafa has always had a bone to pick with Strikers , he always has a opinion on their club. Never ever a positive one, and always slides in a negative comment.
Perfectly fine to have a opinion.
I do agree with the the other posters, no where does it say what you are interpreting .
I personal TFA WAS a good club many moons ago, I liked their model of help kids (parents) afford to play.
I think some LA clubs are strong, and others aren't. Just like OC, theres great clubs and not so great.
Strikers Irvine is a small club that has done well , and as of recently (last 2 years) has been on the up tick with quality of players......
something is going right there Too have that many teams in the ECNL league on top , is not by chance....
Id be curious as too what club you play for and at what age group (dont need to know either) it does feel like you have something against that club:)

Ok "newUser" that's a positive post that includes some useful information

Do you any references to what your referring to? What's negative about the facts? I said "good" for the strikers when I heard they got in if you had been following along or read my earlier post. I'm glad they are in the MLS-NEXT league and hope they do well for the record so there is no confusion.

Do you even notice my user name?

Beating a dead horse, but I will indulge. I don't think anyone is defending "pay to play". We just don't believe its a requirement, or a reality, for all MLS Next teams, particulary non-MLS Academy teams, to fully fund, or have low cost for every player on their MLS Next teams. The two links you provided are pretty soft references and/or just hopes for low cost options. Now, I haven't seen the agreement between my Club and MLS Next so it could very well be a requirement as you claim...I can't dispute that. I hope I'm wrong and I will soon be paying no or low cost fees, I just don't see it being possible with all teams. Again I commend those clubs that can provide it, but I don't disparage those that can't. It's parents choice to write a check and for whatever amount they are comfortable with.

Yeah that's it in a nutshell no problems with any parents or club that does things they way they want to. I wish they all could be on similar pages but guess that's not in the cards sometimes.

Im hoping for some change for the rest of you, our time is just about up with my youngest son who's off to play college ball in the fall. We have zero stake in NEXT or youth soccer in a few months so I hope that is better than what came beforehand.

Same shit different name(s).

You think by now some would have learned the lessons but apparently not and a new set of parents a going to learn the hard way again. Many Clubs are about collecting your $ first and worrying about if they are competitve later.

Ok "newUser" that's a positive post that includes some useful information

Do you any references to what your referring to? What's negative about the facts? I said "good" for the strikers when I heard they got in if you had been following along or read my earlier post. I'm glad they are in the MLS-NEXT league and hope they do well for the record so there is no confusion.

Do you even notice my user name?
I thought it was la la la la. Now I see it's lafa lafa. Please share the meaning bro, thanks. Go Strikers BTW too :)

Yeah that's it in a nutshell no problems with any parents or club that does things they way they want to. I wish they all could be on similar pages but guess that's not in the cards sometimes.

Im hoping for some change for the rest of you, our time is just about up with my youngest son who's off to play college ball in the fall. We have zero stake in NEXT or youth soccer in a few months so I hope that is better than what came beforehand.
2021 had it so bad. I mean that 100%. DD or DS, it doesnt matter. Im praying my DD can finish what she started and end on a real positive note in 2022. Good luck to your son :)

At the end of the day someone has to pay, either sponsorship (unlikely as someone pointed out), maybe tournaments can bridge the gap, or ultimately every other kid not on an "elite" program is paying an "elite" premium to subsidize the club.

I found this blog post interesting, The Corona Effect - Exposing The Insanity of "Elite" Leagues (developingthefuture.club) - basically "elite" is nothing more than a marketing message. The recent advent of the Elite Academy (for boys) seems to support that.

From what I can see locally in AZ, there are lots of announcements of girls going to college (ECNL has always been pay to play) but for the boys, there are very few college announcements and miniscule announcements of any boys "making it".

The soccerwire quote from the article is interesting (to me anyway), and I thought Pulisic didn't play DA as his dad figured he'd get more out of the team he was in but could be wrong on that.

"The most efficient and useful response I can offer is, where? Where are the players? [Marc Seber] named four American players that are playing at a high level in a world class league. Let’s run them down: Tyler Adams, Christian Pulisic, DeAndre Yedlin, Weston McKennie… Gio Reyna is yet to make his first team debut, but he looks like he’s on a Pulisic-like trajectory, possibly. Tim Weah has been injury racked, but he puts us in the half-dozen range, and this is 12 years of Development Academy play. Is this the ROI, is this the norm? I reserve the right to be under-impressed by this ROI. It’s approaching a 9-figure overall investment, maybe already past 9-figures if we look at what everybody has spent, with all the players in the DA trying to grow elite players over the last 12 years. And this is our ROI?- Charles Boehm, SoccerWire "

does anyone really know of a boy that turned down DA because he couldn't play in HS? I dont and I know alot of soccer kids...HS sports is where its at just for the community aspect, the play is not anywhere near club soccer (top flight ) of course. Girls HS is horrendous , period.
I know a lot of _dads_ who _say_ their kid turned down DA to play HS...

I'm not going back and forth with what you said, anyone can go back and read for themselves if they have questions. I am a paying parent at Strikers so when you accuse me of having a financial stake in pay to play... I suppose I do, but I'm on the "paying" side so again your insinuation is wrong.

I'm open to be proven wrong about the "reduce fee" Next program but I know specific clubs in Maryland that didn't receive much of a "discount" from original club fees when they made the move. Again, I'm open to looking at the numbers if you have something but unless they come out with a standard "fee" across the nation then IMO it's just talk...

I'm not going back and forth with what you said, anyone can go back and read for themselves if they have questions. I am a paying parent at Strikers so when you accuse me of having a financial stake in pay to play... I suppose I do, but I'm on the "paying" side so again your insinuation is wrong.

I'm open to be proven wrong about the "reduce fee" Next program but I know specific clubs in Maryland that didn't receive much of a "discount" from original club fees when they made the move. Again, I'm open to looking at the numbers if you have something but unless they come out with a standard "fee" across the nation then IMO it's just talk...

Real simple one of the corner stones of MLS and Next is lowing the cost of youth soccer participation at the higher levels. Can you agree that is the case?

In 2020 this was the case:

In 2021 that is still going on

You can believe, participate or not in promotion or accepting lowering the cost of soccer and expanding the base to a bigger player pool or not. Youth soccer reimagined hopes do some of that. Agreeing on a mission or not.

DE is great salesman, he can sell you anything.

He's a smart business person and has contributed to advancing youth soccer for a number of years.

The idea of sharing the parking lot revenue at sliver lakes w/ the home teams that book fields seems like a good business decision for all parties.

Paying parents might not agree but youth soccer has various ways to redirecting or redistribution $ to keep those non profits turning over $$.

Exactly what?

MLS-NEXT forces a choice to either play high school or play NEXT for most participates as outlined in the rules and regulations that I posted earlier.

There are exceptions and waviers if you attend a private school, meet some of the other requirements. Mostly this is for reglious or catholic schools that cost bank to attend who give out "scholarships" to students athletes who happen to excell at certain Sports.

With our team a decient number of kids play for the #1 ranked team in SS D1 boys soccer (catholic school) for HS on waviers from the NEXT team.

The continuation on the prohibition of high school soccer players is really a silly one for NEXT seeing how they are all are non mls but a few.

MLS-NEXT forces a choice to either play high school or play NEXT for most participates as outlined in the rules and regulations that I posted earlier.

There are exceptions and waviers if you attend a private school, meet some of the other requirements. Mostly this is for reglious or catholic schools that cost bank to attend who give out "scholarships" to students athletes who happen to excell at certain Sports.

With our team a decient number of kids play for the #1 ranked team in SS D1 boys soccer (catholic school) for HS on waviers from the NEXT team.

The continuation on the prohibition of high school soccer players is really a silly one for NEXT seeing how they are all are non mls but a few.

Let's be honest, these "waivers" for the Saints kids aren't real waivers and Saints gives out scholarships based on financial need, not talent. They might be given so kids can play both as Saints and the club both want them, but it's all b.s.

And yes, the prohibition on HS is dumb. Somehow it's ok for GA girls to play, but not for MLS boys to play.

Either or except for thee

Let's be honest, these "waivers" for the Saints kids aren't real waivers and Saints gives out scholarships based on financial need, not talent. They might be given so kids can play both as Saints and the club both want them, but it's all b.s.

And yes, the prohibition on HS is dumb. Somehow it's ok for GA girls to play, but not for MLS boys to play.

I not sure which "Saint's" your referring to but financial need can be a consideration on some private school acceptance.

Some players that attend these school can afford them but won't neccassily be selected for acceptance unless they have some other redeeming qualities, high marks, referrals, etc.

Whatever the methods are the coaches and Schools have a habit of attraction a demographic or skill sets they are looking for.

MLS-next is a perfect example of high school public vs closed private schools inequities that try to compete with one and other.

If the private schools only accepted people that could afford the fees they would not be the powehouses they are now. The MLS-NEXT people reconciled or reckon this and promote lower cost or no cost soccer so more people can participate but at the same time prohibit HS except for a certain privilege class which is contrary to that mission.

Back