Silver Lakes College Showcase, Surf College Showcase, November Nights

We have never smelled "cow crap" but have smelled the garbage at Surf cup to the point I was nauseated. Bottom line though, I go where my daughter gets the best exposure, smell or no smell doesn't matter.

Then you have never been there when the wind is blowing from the east. Mine is a U19 so I have been in this for over 10 years watching the evolution from CSL vs. Presidio to ECNL vs. DA. You will see with time.

What I like about you Cali is you are tenaciously persistent and you at least try to back up what you say.

First, regarding AD never attending Silverlakes. you are correct he probably did not visit is nor likely will until somebody he really wants to see is playing there. Surf tends to get more high profile out of area teams in addition to top local teams so he is not likely to go just to "check it out."

Second, regarding the $10 parking. Are we really making decision based on parking? Buy the weekend pass it is like $24 and the college coaches write it off anyway.

Next, I think that the elite teams are going to want to play the elite competition. Teams come to SoCal to play Surf and Blues. You cannot deny that. Surf and Blues will continue to be at the Surf Cup which leads top teams, top players and top colleges to attend. Pretty simple concept with no marketing really needed.

Now let's talk YOUR personal preference since this is what this is really about. YOUR homer preference. For some of us it is just as far or farther to go to Norco. Not to mention it is YOUR preference to stay in a hotel when your team played at Surf Cup (or any other SoCal tournament/showcase) instead of simply driving home at the end of the day. Personally outside of once or twice during National Cup when the morning schedule was not favorable or when the tournament/showcase was out of state or in NorCal I almost always would drive home at the end of the day.

Next let's talk Oceanside vs. Norco. Umm the smell of cow crap versus the occasional smell of garbage (which I have never smelled and I have been to the facility numerous times). The opportunity to go to breweries and the beach or the 909 and whatever it is your guys do out there. By the way I never mentioned the Mercedes golf carts. I don't really care and personally I would never eat sushi from a soccer tournament (GROSS!!). I agree that their is really no comparison when you look at what showcase has the highest concentration of elite players and teams. No matter how hard you want it to be otherwise, any statement to the contrary just isn't true and you know it.
OMG, ROFLMAO eating sushi at a soccer facility while smelling cow shit. Love it!

OMG, ROFLMAO eating sushi at a soccer facility while smelling cow shit. Love it!

I've been lucky to attend a number of events at Silverlakes, and I have never smelled any foul odor. Only been at O-side twice, and I got hit with the famous O-side odor both times. And I guess your idea of a good meal at the field is eating a hot dog on a heap of rotting garbage? To each his own, I guess.

I've been lucky to attend a number of events at Silverlakes, and I have never smelled any foul odor. Only been at O-side twice, and I got hit with the famous O-side odor both times. And I guess your idea of a good meal at the field is eating a hot dog on a heap of rotting garbage? To each his own, I guess.

No mine is going to the BJ's in Carlsbad and running into the YNT technical director there and having a conversation with her. She was at Surf looking at her players there and scouting for additional ones. Or running into Jill Ellis at another restaurant. The great part about Oceanside (or Del Mar) is that you aren't in the middle of nowhere and having to eat at the field. I can honestly say I haven't eaten food purchased at the field other than snow cones since U13 national Cup quarterfinals.

I've been lucky to attend a number of events at Silverlakes, and I have never smelled any foul odor. Only been at O-side twice, and I got hit with the famous O-side odor both times. And I guess your idea of a good meal at the field is eating a hot dog on a heap of rotting garbage? To each his own.

A few years back, the land on both sides of I-15 just north of the Santa Ana River bridge was cattle feed lots and horse ranches. My wife and kids already knew to shut down the vents and windows at the first whiff. I grew up in dairy-farming towns, so the smell didn't bother me that much. I thought all that was gone years ago, replaced by housing developments and shopping malls.

Actually she is my youngest already have one playing D1, my middle one is in another sport! Next year DA girls will not be there!

We have never smelled "cow crap" but have smelled the garbage at Surf cup to the point I was nauseated. Bottom line though, I go where my daughter gets the best exposure, smell or no smell doesn't matter.

So if you have one playing D1 then perhaps you had one play at Surf Cup and perhaps you are just a LLH stirring the pot? If you have one playing D1 you KNOW that there is no comparison. Although I guess the level of D1 would matter. A player playing at North Dakota St. is a little less likely to have played at Surf Cup than one playing at Stanford.

Cali you have been to Norco. The whole town smells like cow crap. I roll up my windows once I hit the 91/15 junction due to the smell.

"You ain't got to lie Craig!"

So if you have one playing D1 then perhaps you had one play at Surf Cup and perhaps you are just a LLH stirring the pot? If you have one playing D1 you KNOW that there is no comparison. Although I guess the level of D1 would matter. A player playing at North Dakota St. is a little less likely to have played at Surf Cup than one playing at Stanford.
Yes she did play there. But again, it won't matter next year because DA girls won't be there.

Nice try, but I don't eat at the fields

Actually she is my youngest already have one playing D1, my middle one is in another sport! Next year DA girls will not be there!
What part is it you don't understand that Surf College Cup is already an established National College Showcase? About half of the top teams weren't there last week, yet they still attracted a ton of college coaches.

BTW, for a parent that has been through the recruiting process. Why do you get all jazzed for 2-4 D1 college coaches at a U14 game?

And this is exactly the attitude that lost Hillary Clinton the election.

Enjoy watching the rest of the tourney.

I have been watching the entire tourney so not sure what you are referring to. Enjoy your kid never getting to the tourney. Whereas mine started every game this season for a top D1 team. Will you ever be able to say the same?

I have been watching the entire tourney so not sure what you are referring to. Enjoy your kid never getting to the tourney. Whereas mine started every game this season for a top D1 team. Will you ever be able to say the same?
Just saying have a good time, what's wrong with that?

What part is it you don't understand that Surf College Cup is already an established National College Showcase? About half of the top teams weren't there last week, yet they still attracted a ton of college coaches.

BTW, for a parent that has been through the recruiting process. Why do you get all jazzed for 2-4 D1 college coaches at a U14 game?
Why? Because she is young and hopes to follow in her sisters foot steps and is very good! As a parent you celebrate all your children's successes, one step or goal at a time. :) If you have more than one child I am sure you understand that. Best of luck to all soccer lovers in the coming year.

Why? Because she is young and hopes to follow in her sisters foot steps and is very good! As a parent you celebrate all your children's successes, one step or goal at a time. :) If you have more than one child I am sure you understand that. Best of luck to all soccer lovers in the coming year.
Simple, if your older DD is playing D1 college soccer. Seeing 2-4 D1 college coaches at U14 is NOT a lot of coaches and you wouldn't be posting with so much excitement.

At surf Thanksgiving they were giving out Gatorade energy drinks and bars. I had a breakfast burrito that was small, contained French fries and wasn't very authentico.

They also had some new So Cal Baywatch lifeguard tower. Could this be some sort of top secret coach viewing pod for the future?

Back