SCDSL Splitting Off from Cal South

Well...if they are going to play “club level” in another sport, you’re in for a financial awakening.
The other sport is definitely rec. Just trying to make sure my kid doesn’t get burned out with soccer only with 11 months (including tryout season).

Will this mean CSL and SCDSL players can actually be rostered on two teams or can switch from one league to another league mid season regardless of roster freezes (which always permitted AYSO core players to join midseason) since there isn’t one governing body that sets rules and issues IDs for both? I know each could have their own rules against it, but it used to be Cal South would catch it even when the teams didn’t know.

Will this mean CSL and SCDSL players can actually be rostered on two teams or can switch from one league to another league mid season regardless of roster freezes (which always permitted AYSO core players to join midseason) since there isn’t one governing body that sets rules and issues IDs for both? I know each could have their own rules against it, but it used to be Cal South would catch it even when the teams didn’t know.

No cross checking, can be rostered to multiple teams /w the same club in USclub at the same time, multiple teams for different associations at the same time: Cal South, USYS MLS Next, USclub: ECNL, RL, NPL but only one team per day for USclub for the same club.

Not many people are multiple rostered (max sizes still apply 22 for the season) during regular league season but come playoff or post season time there is some movement. The higher number of rostered players makes for less possible movement, carrying 18 leaves 4 open for later for example.

Parents, please don't do this.

I haven't studied the proposed league dates, other than I see that a fall season, a fall state cup, a spring season and spring state cup (I think) are proposed.
What does this do to the Spring tournament season?

I haven't studied the proposed league dates, other than I see that a fall season, a fall state cup, a spring season and spring state cup (I think) are proposed.
What does this do to the Spring tournament season?
Teams who join US Club Soccer go there knowing they’re most likely not going to have a free weekend which will be supplemented by “higher quality” league play. If someone were to tell you NOW they’re going to play So Cal NPL instead of National Cup they’d say you’re insane but that’s how it was back in 2016 when SCNPL was the only NPL in this area if the country.

You mean $1.7m that will come in form of fees for clubs. I heard our fees will go up but it’s because now it’s a year long season. My wife did ask me when are the kids going to be able to play another sport. She has a valid point.
A lot of it is money they already have banked. That profit everyone thinks gets pocketed that actually isn’t. They’re reinvesting back into the program. I know it’s crazy. League fees have already gone down the past 2 seasons because of that same surplus. That also includes the addition of the discovery division which the league covers the extra cost for that as well. The new cost breakdown is still cheaper. For youngers $1100 total for league and State Cup. So $400 for a 16 game league which is less than the $450 we were paying 3 years ago and and now an extra 4 games. $700 for State Cup which is less than we were Paying at cal south and now getting guaranteed Min 5 games instead of 3 (among other things mentioned in this thread). For olders it’s something like $1700 total but also Includes the college showcase tournaments. So still a better cost.

For kids to play multiple of any competitive/club sports it’s a tough juggling act. It’s not a soccer thing. My 2 kids play at least 2 sports at a time and while it’s tough and really expensive on me and my wife it’s still plenty doable. And when I say really expensive I ain’t talking about the Soccer cost either. That’s the cheapest of them. Plus if you asked them to take 6 months off any one sport to play the other they wouldn’t want to. Trust me I’ve tried. I think It’s actually a luxury we have here in So Cal. Other states that deal with weather issues aren’t playing half these sports outdoors in the winter time so doing multiple isn’t even a choice there.

CalSouth has been terrible for a very long time. ODP is a joke. State Cup has become increasingly irrelevant. Ask CalSouth to see the insurance policy that covers your kids. See how much they pay vs. how much they collect in player fees. It's a bloated bureaucracy that is intensely political and incredibly inefficient. This has been a long time coming.

CSL & CS apparently don't like this move and shots fired.

Instead of working together once again it's about the $$ instead of the players. Us .vs. them mentality doesn't do anybody any good

Why they single our surf not sure?

"Coast Soccer League 1/15/21 **UPDATE**

Everyone in Southern California is now dealing with the increased restrictions imposed by the spike in the number of COVID cases. For those of us who anxiously await the opportunity to take the field, the possibility that games will be delayed until March or April is disappointing. Despite the delay CSL remains committed to playing games as soon as possible knowing that everyone is anxious to get going. Once we see a pathway that will allow us all to return to play safely, a schedule will be made available to everyone. Hopefully, we shall see an improvement in the outlook in the coming weeks.
The league does plan on opening applications for the Fall 2021 season as usual in April. Clubs who have submitted payment for the 2020 season will be given a full credit for these fees if we do not have any games this Spring. If the upcoming season is shortened then a proration of fees will be made, and the unused portion credited to the 2021 fees. There will be no fee increase – (CSL is proud to be able to hold the fees for the 15th year in a row.)
At the recent town hall held by CalSouth, questions arose about the Southern California Developmental Soccer League (SCDSL) leaving CalSouth.
Coast Soccer League would like to address this development.
Coast Soccer League (CSL) has operated for almost 50 years and over that time frame it grew both organically and by merging with other local leagues. This benefitted all concerned as it led to easier scheduling, better field utilization and the great benefit of less travel for the newer teams. By having all the clubs playing under one circuit, Clubs could then grow by offering a more local playing experience for those teams just starting out – allowing them to branch out from only having just a few all-star travelling teams.
Youth soccer benefitted; and we saw the number of players, clubs and team grow exponentially.
With the arrival of US Club Soccer (a competing player registration organization to Cal South), came a period of disruption with new Leagues springing up almost every year, each claiming to be more special than the last. The result has been more travel, increased costs for families, and a stress on the demand for quality referees and fields.
Since the recent demise of the US Soccer’s Development Academy, the chief protagonists in the ongoing fracturing of youth soccer are now a few of the local Elite Club National League (ECNL) clubs which are also in turn administering the SCDSL. They recently announced they would be leaving CalSouth and in turn be sanctioned by US Club Soccer. This was cynically thrust on their members with no vote (in contravention of their Bylaws) by the leaders whose top teams do not even participate in the very league they are ostensibly managing. They are asking their C and D teams to leave the governing body (CalSouth) and forgo playing in State Cup, participating in ODP, California Regional League etc. causing a further fracturing of the marketplace as those teams will no longer have the chance to play CSL or Presidio Soccer League teams.
Not a tough choice for these clubs given the fact this does not impact their elite teams. However, for those SCDSL clubs who are not a part of the ECNL, their top teams are now forced to accept further limits on their playing options.
The presentation to the member clubs stated they were going to mirror some of the programs already now provided by CalSouth.
While we have reason to be skeptical that these promises will be upheld. One suggestion being presented is the idea of the league running “ID2” player identification camps. Such an event would serve as a recruiting bonanza for those clubs operating teams in the ECNL. The ODP program run by CalSouth identifies players for the ODP teams who play ODP teams from other States. Since the clubs who oversee the operation of the SCDSL do not have their top teams playing in the SCDSL, the “ID2” player identification camps would allow the top clubs to recruit players to their ECNL teams as the other participating clubs cannot play in ECNL given that it is a “closed circuit”.
In the ten years that the SCDSL has been in existence the league has never attempted to help with Referee Recruitment and Retention. The same is true for US Club. With the growth in the game this lack of commitment has placed a strain on the availability of referees. The only organizations that have consistently done so are CSL – and Calsouth. To think that the league will NOW do what is good for the game is a far reach.
CalSouth has also supported many successful efforts in getting local soccer fields developed. The SCDSL has shown a preference to drive revenue for a few select sites that appear to mostly benefit Surf SC.
SCDSL has also announced they would be running a “State Cup” – a misnomer since US Club does not sanction States but only individual leagues – truly this new event is at best a League Cup – but one that requires an increase in fees to $1100 a team! The SCDSL had the opportunity to emulate CSL during the last decade by offering matching services but chose not to. This new direction is not a sudden enlightenment, but a repackaging designed to drive a sharp increase of revenue for the founding few.
CSL will continue (with no fee increase) to provide its League, (with League Cup included at no extra charge) as a better gaming experience, with the use of CSL’s industry leading technology, a scheduling program with referee scheduling integration, proprietary app with mobile editing, push notifications, more dynamic and meaningful games, a reputation for treating clubs fairly with no league politics, team-based results and standings and a long history of consistent performance.
CSL believes that the soccer community is better served by working together and not by trying to further isolate from the surrounding clubs, teams, and players. We believe this change may offer CSL clubs the opportunity to grow their membership, by highlighting to teams the loss of choice and greater risks that this new development presents and we would welcome them to join your club this year.
At CSL we take pride in delivering a superior service for our members, and the enforced pause in the game created by the pandemic has heightened our commitment for 2021.
We look forward to getting back to the fields!
I am available to address any questions regarding this or any other League matters.
Sincerely,
Bernard Towers
CSL President.
On behalf of the CSL Board"

CSL & CS apparently don't like this move and shots fired.

Instead of working together once again it's about the $$ instead of the players. Us .vs. them mentality doesn't do anybody any good

Why they single our surf not sure?

"Coast Soccer League 1/15/21 **UPDATE**

Everyone in Southern California is now dealing with the increased restrictions imposed by the spike in the number of COVID cases. For those of us who anxiously await the opportunity to take the field, the possibility that games will be delayed until March or April is disappointing. Despite the delay CSL remains committed to playing games as soon as possible knowing that everyone is anxious to get going. Once we see a pathway that will allow us all to return to play safely, a schedule will be made available to everyone. Hopefully, we shall see an improvement in the outlook in the coming weeks.
The league does plan on opening applications for the Fall 2021 season as usual in April. Clubs who have submitted payment for the 2020 season will be given a full credit for these fees if we do not have any games this Spring. If the upcoming season is shortened then a proration of fees will be made, and the unused portion credited to the 2021 fees. There will be no fee increase – (CSL is proud to be able to hold the fees for the 15th year in a row.)
At the recent town hall held by CalSouth, questions arose about the Southern California Developmental Soccer League (SCDSL) leaving CalSouth.
Coast Soccer League would like to address this development.
Coast Soccer League (CSL) has operated for almost 50 years and over that time frame it grew both organically and by merging with other local leagues. This benefitted all concerned as it led to easier scheduling, better field utilization and the great benefit of less travel for the newer teams. By having all the clubs playing under one circuit, Clubs could then grow by offering a more local playing experience for those teams just starting out – allowing them to branch out from only having just a few all-star travelling teams.
Youth soccer benefitted; and we saw the number of players, clubs and team grow exponentially.
With the arrival of US Club Soccer (a competing player registration organization to Cal South), came a period of disruption with new Leagues springing up almost every year, each claiming to be more special than the last. The result has been more travel, increased costs for families, and a stress on the demand for quality referees and fields.
Since the recent demise of the US Soccer’s Development Academy, the chief protagonists in the ongoing fracturing of youth soccer are now a few of the local Elite Club National League (ECNL) clubs which are also in turn administering the SCDSL. They recently announced they would be leaving CalSouth and in turn be sanctioned by US Club Soccer. This was cynically thrust on their members with no vote (in contravention of their Bylaws) by the leaders whose top teams do not even participate in the very league they are ostensibly managing. They are asking their C and D teams to leave the governing body (CalSouth) and forgo playing in State Cup, participating in ODP, California Regional League etc. causing a further fracturing of the marketplace as those teams will no longer have the chance to play CSL or Presidio Soccer League teams.
Not a tough choice for these clubs given the fact this does not impact their elite teams. However, for those SCDSL clubs who are not a part of the ECNL, their top teams are now forced to accept further limits on their playing options.
The presentation to the member clubs stated they were going to mirror some of the programs already now provided by CalSouth.
While we have reason to be skeptical that these promises will be upheld. One suggestion being presented is the idea of the league running “ID2” player identification camps. Such an event would serve as a recruiting bonanza for those clubs operating teams in the ECNL. The ODP program run by CalSouth identifies players for the ODP teams who play ODP teams from other States. Since the clubs who oversee the operation of the SCDSL do not have their top teams playing in the SCDSL, the “ID2” player identification camps would allow the top clubs to recruit players to their ECNL teams as the other participating clubs cannot play in ECNL given that it is a “closed circuit”.
In the ten years that the SCDSL has been in existence the league has never attempted to help with Referee Recruitment and Retention. The same is true for US Club. With the growth in the game this lack of commitment has placed a strain on the availability of referees. The only organizations that have consistently done so are CSL – and Calsouth. To think that the league will NOW do what is good for the game is a far reach.
CalSouth has also supported many successful efforts in getting local soccer fields developed. The SCDSL has shown a preference to drive revenue for a few select sites that appear to mostly benefit Surf SC.
SCDSL has also announced they would be running a “State Cup” – a misnomer since US Club does not sanction States but only individual leagues – truly this new event is at best a League Cup – but one that requires an increase in fees to $1100 a team! The SCDSL had the opportunity to emulate CSL during the last decade by offering matching services but chose not to. This new direction is not a sudden enlightenment, but a repackaging designed to drive a sharp increase of revenue for the founding few.
CSL will continue (with no fee increase) to provide its League, (with League Cup included at no extra charge) as a better gaming experience, with the use of CSL’s industry leading technology, a scheduling program with referee scheduling integration, proprietary app with mobile editing, push notifications, more dynamic and meaningful games, a reputation for treating clubs fairly with no league politics, team-based results and standings and a long history of consistent performance.
CSL believes that the soccer community is better served by working together and not by trying to further isolate from the surrounding clubs, teams, and players. We believe this change may offer CSL clubs the opportunity to grow their membership, by highlighting to teams the loss of choice and greater risks that this new development presents and we would welcome them to join your club this year.
At CSL we take pride in delivering a superior service for our members, and the enforced pause in the game created by the pandemic has heightened our commitment for 2021.
We look forward to getting back to the fields!
I am available to address any questions regarding this or any other League matters.
Sincerely,
Bernard Towers
CSL President.
On behalf of the CSL Board"
They DO have a point regarding the SCDSL State Cup really being a League Cup.

Was it really ever a true “State Cup”?

No it's a regional or area tournament for part of the state

The CSL league cup is just interleague tournament that does qualify for any other CS competition or have any bearing on their state cup tournament.

DSL's state cup or league cup is a qualifer for USclub regional state cup tournament between South and North a true CA state cup.

CSL/ CS is attempting to spin the narrative to hang on to more $$ basically. Spend more get less is what there selling just a fall season while DSL, ECXX, & NPL give fall & spring programming & league options.

It was a SoCal cup. We are too large of a state to have a state cup at all ages. Scdsl’s move only benefits the elite teams. Their state cup will be mostly a league cup for most teams.
I am not a fan of what they are doing. Just make it one league and play all teams in SoCal. Top 2 teams play NorCal teams to make it a state cup if that’s what everyone else wants.

It was a SoCal cup. We are too large of a state to have a state cup at all ages. Scdsl’s move only benefits the elite teams. Their state cup will be mostly a league cup for most teams.
I am not a fan of what they are doing. Just make it one league and play all teams in SoCal. Top 2 teams play NorCal teams to make it a state cup if that’s what everyone else wants.

Who is paying for it?

Who is paying for it?
Paying for what? The top 4-8 teams in each age group to play a weekend of games?

That's about 120 teams. It's smaller than most local tournaments for flight 3 teams.

It's not sounding like a major expense. The worst part is the hotel once every two years. But very few teams will get that far.

Paying for what? The top 4-8 teams in each age group to play a weekend of games?

That's about 120 teams. It's smaller than most local tournaments for flight 3 teams.

It's not sounding like a major expense. The worst part is the hotel once every two years. But very few teams will get that far.

You didn't answer the question.

Considering that Socal has the population greater than most states, I would vote yes. The North vs South thing that SCDSL is floating just sounds dumb, though -- "a true state cup" is just another way to siphon more dollars and it only serves for the extreme indoctrinated like EJ to talk about how their kids won "the statey" back when they were 12. That and five bucks will get you a number one combo at In n out.

Considering that Socal has the population greater than most states, I would vote yes. The North vs South thing that SCDSL is floating just sounds dumb, though -- "a true state cup" is just another way to siphon more dollars and it only serves for the extreme indoctrinated like EJ to talk about how their kids won "the statey" back when they were 12. That and five bucks will get you a number one combo at In n out.
Most top clubs in Norcal are U.S. Club if I am not mistaken with their premier league. Their state cup run by CalNorth is very small compared to calouth

Back