Recruiting Tips for Parents Just Starting the Process

Pay attention to the NCAA Board of Governors this week. The D1 counsel has made recommendations that could effect your kids. "Members also recommended the board give all fall sport student-athletes both an additional year of eligibility and an additional year in which to complete it, a recommendation that is even more flexible than what it endorsed last week. " This would mean no matter if a someone plays or doesn't play soccer this Fall or this Spring, they would get an additional year. That is every single senior, junior, sophomore and freshmen.

In addition they recommend "The financial aid of fall sport senior student-athletes who take advantage of the additional year of eligibility and extended clock should not count against team limits in 2021-22." This is actually good news for 2021 HS grads since the scholarship limits will be relaxed. But it is bad news for 2022-2024 HS grads since they did not recommend the same thing for the next three years of college students. So if colleges take advantage of the additional year granted for those players they will have less scholarships to offer those three year of HS students.
College is expensive, and 90% of soccer scholarships are around 50%. How many kids are actually going to stay for a 5th year to play if they are graduating in 4 years? Getting the degree is king for 95% of these kids. Very few are going to play soccer after college. I want my kid in and out of school in 4 years. So it makes me wonder how many will stay an extra year just to play soccer? I know this will be a boon to those that were taking 5 years to graduate or planning on doing grad school immediately. What about D2, D3 and NAIA, same rules?

College is expensive, and 90% of soccer scholarships are around 50%. How many kids are actually going to stay for a 5th year to play if they are graduating in 4 years? Getting the degree is king for 95% of these kids. Very few are going to play soccer after college. I want my kid in and out of school in 4 years. So it makes me wonder how many will stay an extra year just to play soccer? I know this will be a boon to those that were taking 5 years to graduate or planning on doing grad school immediately. What about D2, D3 and NAIA, same rules?

These are the same questions I have. Most kids graduate (or should) after 4 years. Why would they stay for that 5th year of soccer and not go to school. Unless they did a graduate program, but most kids move onto another school for that. I for one would not be paying room and board, etc for my kid to play that 5th year. As you said its expensive enough as it is...

Will be interesting to see, w/cash-strapped athletic departments, how many WILL go beyond the 14 scholarships and how many WON'T - not because they want to but b/c the funds are just not there. Doesn't UCSB only fund 12 scholarships? How many schools are like that? How many of those just can't go beyond, whether it is 14 or 18 or 20?
I feel like many seniors will just move on, but I have no real basis for saying that... just gut feeling. I may be completely off.

THIS.

Most are not going to hang around another year of college when they have graduated is my guess.

Who might want to? Those on a team that has a good chance of winning a natty.

if my kid were a senior and could have a year or even a semester of grad school paid and play another year of the game she loves (assuming she loves it b/c if she doesn't, ouch), I'd encourage it. The only downside that I see is that, after 4 years of being on the squad, the incoming freshman probably look like (and, more importantly, act like) babies to the much more mature college graduate.

I had a conversation with a Yale grad (she graduated a couple of years ago) - she had a nice Ivy career and had a chance to play pro for a couple of years. She was all-in b/c if it worked out for a few years or if it did not work out at all, she was still exceptionally young and could start her career or grad school then. How many of us are doing the thing they started after graduating college? How many of us think that putting off jobs for a year at age 22 would have been really detrimental to where you are today?

They really only need to stay for the fall semester. Say they were getting 50% (though if they are an impact senior they likely were getting more). School costs say $40k. That would be paying $10k for your kid to have a final season. If the coach really wants them they could increase this to say 75%. That lowers the cost to $5k. If my kid was a starter and their team was competing to win league and play in the NCAA I would pay that.

@Ellejustus- I see your point why you want games for your dd. Personally you can send over clips of your daughter training rather than game footage. After 4 months of no training, not sure any player will show well in in a game. Sending training clips is the way to go and just think, for 5 months your dd has been injury free. Chalk that up as a win. Good luck.
Something like this but for soccer players? What kind of drills can she do to show top D1 school. BTW, when I say top D1, do you know what I mean? I'm old school. i was planning on being a HS School Hoops coach or big time D1 coach. I would 100% have to see my top recruits play in tough games before I court them. I need to see something something and you can only see that in the heat of battle. You only get so many picks, you cant mess it up. DD is putting together a highlight video from all her great plays over the years and will email at least 200 of the top D1, D2 and D3 schools when the time is right. I'm hoping one of them will show some interest in her abilities.

Some people have given me grief for saying that playing for the handful of queen maker coaches is the best and safest way to get recruited. If you did not heed it and your kid is an uncommitted junior or senior, you may be in real trouble, as Covid-19 has closed the door on the narrow path of playing showcases, getting seen there and emailing a lot of awesome recent video. A so so player at Blues before this happened is probably in much better shape right now than a much better player at the small club who hadn’t been found yet. Oh, and now is not the time to whine about fees if you’re one of the fortunate ones at a club with a coach who only needs to make a phone call on your kid’s behalf.

If it’s that important, you might consider moving to TX or GA, hopefully getting on one of their teams there, and taking your chances with Covid-19. Or get uber aggressive with the email and phone calls, and probably end up still having to try walking where you can get in academically and isn’t a soccer power. Even walking on may be rough at a lot of schools next fall if the season doesn’t move to spring, however, because a lot of seniors will come back or play as grad transfers, leaving a lot of teams with 5 years worth of players on the team. Also don’t discount juco until roster sizes return to normal.

One more “I told you so”. I was also critical of the NCAA changing the recruiting rules so that kids could not have contact until end of sophomore year or visit until junior year, as it left kids with a very compressed time frame to educate themselves and make commitment decisions. A lot of people are probably really wishing their sophomore and junior daughters could have met with coaches as freshman and possibly committed much earlier.

Seriously, when I say it’s probably gonna snow in CO in April or GDA will fail, maybe ya’ll should listen.
Don't fall for the EOTL puffery. He/she's a Blues Homer (maybe even coach) who is stuck in the glory days of early 21st Century soccer and recruiting--when Netflix wasn't around, Blackberry was the phone of choice and mega clubs were the only game in town. If your kid is a mediocre club player then yes, they will have a better chance getting that 35th roster spot at UCLA if playing for a "queen or king maker". But if your player is good enough to start for an ECNL or MLS squad and is diligent with their academics and personal communications...2020 technology, social media, and league showcases, level the playing field and present plenty of opportunity for players to be found and join the college of their choice while playing for a club/team/coach that they enjoy.

Don't fall for the EOTL puffery. He/she's a Blues Homer (maybe even coach) who is stuck in the glory days of early 21st Century soccer and recruiting--when Netflix wasn't around, Blackberry was the phone of choice and mega clubs were the only game in town. If your kid is a mediocre club player then yes, they will have a better chance getting that 35th roster spot at UCLA if playing for a "queen or king maker". But if your player is good enough to start for an ECNL or MLS squad and is diligent with their academics and personal communications...2020 technology, social media, and league showcases, level the playing field and present plenty of opportunity for players to be found and join the college of their choice while playing for a club/team/coach that they enjoy.
Best take ever Mr Canada. Blues homer and does not like me at all or my little baby girl that was at Blues and then left to the competitor down south and low and behold, 4 other goats came one at a time all by their loss-oms. I got blamed for the mass exodus and I swear I never forced or even told someone to follow us. My dd is an Eagle and flies alone, not in a pack of 5. BS what these coaches will do to make someone look bad.

Should bear in mind that soccer is a team sport...watch top German clubs (yes, I’m biased that way) and most play is close to one touch...

Agree with @ohcanada...play with people you enjoy, find a coach you like, choose a program where you’re wanted and needed (who in their right mind wants to be player #38 on the depth chart!!??) and make damn sure you like the school soccer aside.

Should bear in mind that soccer is a team sport...watch top German clubs (yes, I’m biased that way) and most play is close to one touch...

Agree with @ohcanada...play with people you enjoy, find a coach you like, choose a program where you’re wanted and needed (who in their right mind wants to be player #38 on the depth chart!!??) and make damn sure you like the school soccer aside.
I interview people for a living. If you like to play soccer, watch out. It's a job and you earn every penny. If your happy being at the school and #43, then all good and so happy. If you want to play, you need serious help. I like a good and healthy coach who knows and cares about everyone.

It just get's worse for the 2022s. My gosh, can I get a refund on my $50,000 I spent going around through country looking for a coach to like my dd? This is insane. I guess the old Doc was right, "get your deal now before all the money dries up." That was three years ago too. Dam, I blew it for telling my baby girl who was 13 and 14 note to email. Oh well, sh*t out of luck for the 2022s and olders.
Please tell me you are being sarcastic about traveling around trying to find a coach who would like your player?

They really only need to stay for the fall semester. Say they were getting 50% (though if they are an impact senior they likely were getting more). School costs say $40k. That would be paying $10k for your kid to have a final season. If the coach really wants them they could increase this to say 75%. That lowers the cost to $5k. If my kid was a starter and their team was competing to win league and play in the NCAA I would pay that.
I could see more players transfer to where they want to go to grad school with a year of eligibility in hand and play there, unless their school happens to have the graduate program they are going into. This will create more scenarios for players, that is for sure.

A couple of folks wrote about TopDrawer rankings.
How do the kids get on the rankings? And how does one "crack the top 150"?
I thought this was something the coaches do.

A couple of folks wrote about TopDrawer rankings.
How do the kids get on the rankings? And how does one "crack the top 150"?
I thought this was something the coaches do.
found this for you: As far as I know, my daughter is not on Topdrawer list so not sure how that works other than either coach recommendations or parental lobbying..

Yeah that’s a comment I made a few days ago but it’s just me speculating... someone else commented that the foundation of the list is Made up of players who have been invited to YNT camps.

Yeah that’s a comment I made a few days ago but it’s just me speculating... someone else commented that the foundation of the list is Made up of players who have been invited to YNT camps.

it has more to do with clubs and whether the clubs are advocating players or submitting blurbs to TDS writers. It looks like that’s the primary element, whether the player’s name has been mentioned in a TDS article about YNT rosters, about standout players in last weekend’s games, about whatever. If your player’s club isn’t feeding the TDS writing and clicking machine, then less likelihood of a TDS rank for your player.

Back