Recruiting Tips for Parents Just Starting the Process

I've heard from a few insiders who said the coaches have a lot on their plate right about now. Shoot them the ranking report that shows the green arrow going up ((dont send if you have a red arrow)) and I'm sure that might grab their attention. Good luck 310 and be patient. My dd ((2022)) has not emailed yet and is looking crack the top 150 before hitting send.
A lot on their plate? I would think it slowed down a bit given the 50% of teams have been moved to the fall. Maybe there concentrating on only 04's?

A lot on their plate? I would think it slowed down a bit given the 50% of teams have been moved to the fall. Maybe there concentrating on only 04's?
I wouldnt know for sure, but some are just hoping their program is alive after all this is over. I was trying to get my player in the top 150 before all this went down. I know your cool with no actual soccer games and just develop this season, what about next year? No games for 12 more months or longer? Is there even going to be a girls soccer program at some of these schools?

I wouldnt know for sure, but some are just hoping their program is alive after all this is over. I was trying to get my player in the top 150 before all this went down. I know your cool with no actual soccer games and just develop this season, what about next year? No games for 12 more months or longer? Is there even going to be a girls soccer program at some of these schools?
I heard top drawer is not reliable because its ran by 3 dudes in Socal and the rankings are useless because anyone can email them barking that there dd is worthy of being top 150 and then 2 weeks later there dd is ranked. Any truth to that? 2 college scouts said they don't pay attention to top drawer. I see how it can help get your player some recognition though.

Question! Should you email a college coach during Covid? Better question is should you email a college coach with updates on how a player (05 Girl) is progressing with there strengths they've been working on, how training is starting up, Topdrawer ranking has went up, etc. It is overkill to reach out at this time or a waste of time?
Yes, especially if your daughter is really interested in the schools. Now is a great time. Email is not invasive. Our coach advised we start writing freshman year (especially before showcases). Even in absence of them, it does not hurt to try to get on their radar for when they resume. Developing a relationship early may help differentiate her later when they're deciding between players that look similar/equal. If playing in college is the goal, I would NOT advise waiting for their junior year to get started. If the rules stay the same, it will be really important to write schools and send videos during her sophmore year before the June 15th date. I think that will give your daughter the best positioning and options for whatever happens.

@Ellejustus- I see your point why you want games for your dd. Personally you can send over clips of your daughter training rather than game footage. After 4 months of no training, not sure any player will show well in in a game. Sending training clips is the way to go and just think, for 5 months your dd has been injury free. Chalk that up as a win. Good luck.

I heard top drawer is not reliable because its ran by 3 dudes in Socal and the rankings are useless because anyone can email them barking that there dd is worthy of being top 150 and then 2 weeks later there dd is ranked. Any truth to that? 2 college scouts said they don't pay attention to top drawer. I see how it can help get your player some recognition though.
I have no idea of who is what at TDS. I like their site. I was hoping someone from TDS would have saw something in my player to just add her name to it but never happen. Just like no college coach is blowing up my phone. This is all about 100% going after it and doing your home work and letting coaches and schools you have interest. Go to ID camps and all that stuff. It's just so hard to predict the future. All I know from my sources is my dd wont be playing this year or next year most likely. She will stop playing and never go back because she will age out. It sucks for me as a paying customer but I will save thousands and thousands of dollar and I get all my time to do as I please. I was hoping for HS but that is not going to happen at this time unless something super radical happens.

As far as I know, my daughter is not on Topdrawer list so not sure how that works other than either coach recommendations or parental lobbying..

every single coach that has communicated with her has asked her to complete the school’s Athletic Questionnaire so I guess it stands to reason that completing the Questionnaire proactively would be a good idea..

I think there’s definitely some truth to all of that. But, colleges also quote it to promote their own players and school. So, it means something to some people.

The building blocks of the lists are those invited to USYNT training centers or other official camps or teams.
I hear you get bonus points for making a camp. Get called up to a game and even more bonus points. Plus, The List is emailed to all the D1 coaches. I get all this now and the actual soccer games being played to be in pole position. So interesting to pause and then reflect on the past. It's all adding up in my little clueless brain of mine with no memory of the past.

Pay attention to the NCAA Board of Governors this week. The D1 counsel has made recommendations that could effect your kids. "Members also recommended the board give all fall sport student-athletes both an additional year of eligibility and an additional year in which to complete it, a recommendation that is even more flexible than what it endorsed last week. " This would mean no matter if a someone plays or doesn't play soccer this Fall or this Spring, they would get an additional year. That is every single senior, junior, sophomore and freshmen.

In addition they recommend "The financial aid of fall sport senior student-athletes who take advantage of the additional year of eligibility and extended clock should not count against team limits in 2021-22." This is actually good news for 2021 HS grads since the scholarship limits will be relaxed. But it is bad news for 2022-2024 HS grads since they did not recommend the same thing for the next three years of college students. So if colleges take advantage of the additional year granted for those players they will have less scholarships to offer those three year of HS students.

Pay attention to the NCAA Board of Governors this week. The D1 counsel has made recommendations that could effect your kids. "Members also recommended the board give all fall sport student-athletes both an additional year of eligibility and an additional year in which to complete it, a recommendation that is even more flexible than what it endorsed last week. " This would mean no matter if a someone plays or doesn't play soccer this Fall or this Spring, they would get an additional year. That is every single senior, junior, sophomore and freshmen.

In addition they recommend "The financial aid of fall sport senior student-athletes who take advantage of the additional year of eligibility and extended clock should not count against team limits in 2021-22." This is actually good news for 2021 HS grads since the scholarship limits will be relaxed. But it is bad news for 2022-2024 HS grads since they did not recommend the same thing for the next three years of college students. So if colleges take advantage of the additional year granted for those players they will have less scholarships to offer those three year of HS students.
That is good news for my DD. However, it still doesn't address the log jam effect. What if all the seniors do come back... Do rosters balloon to 40+?

Rosters will be bigger next year and teams can go above the 14 scholarships to bring back seniors. But not the next three years so if those kids are staying and getting money it will need to come from somewhere.

It just get's worse for the 2022s. My gosh, can I get a refund on my $50,000 I spent going around through country looking for a coach to like my dd? This is insane. I guess the old Doc was right, "get your deal now before all the money dries up." That was three years ago too. Dam, I blew it for telling my baby girl who was 13 and 14 note to email. Oh well, sh*t out of luck for the 2022s and olders.

Rosters will be bigger next year and teams can go above the 14 scholarships to bring back seniors. But not the next three years so if those kids are staying and getting money it will need to come from somewhere.
Sounds like a log jam to me the next few years. 45 girls on a roster and only 11 play. Again, everyone has a different reason why they play soccer.

1597945948489.png

Will be interesting to see, w/cash-strapped athletic departments, how many WILL go beyond the 14 scholarships and how many WON'T - not because they want to but b/c the funds are just not there. Doesn't UCSB only fund 12 scholarships? How many schools are like that? How many of those just can't go beyond, whether it is 14 or 18 or 20?

Back