Recruiting Tips for Parents Just Starting the Process

Also if there's no college soccer this year, it will have a ripple affect. At least 50% less for 2022 and 2023 in scholarships.

The NCAA requires schools to offer at least 14 sports (7 men, 7 women or 6 men, 8 women) to be D1. Title IX in theory (though many violate) requires that scholarships be provided to men and women in the ratio of their student enrollment. So it is difficult to cut women's soccer scholarships without also cutting men's football scholarships.

Former Associate Head Coach and Recruiting Coordinator. He has worked with AC at UCLA for 4 years and recruited almost every player on the roster and was with her previous to that at Central Florida. The guy is as honest as they come and is definitely a players coach.

Continued good fortune for you and your player!
Definitely an honest guy....oh wait wasn't he recruiting for UCLA when Lauren Isackson was recruited and we know what a great player she turned out to be.

Wait? Come again? Did you say How you play the money depends on the major, sport and RACE? Do get more money because of your race in women's soccer?
Yes.
You can get more money because of RACE, therefore reducing how much you need from the sport.
Below was also what my daughter majored in, that exact year, and was not qualified to receive that money, so about $250->$300K difference in money based on race (5 year program). Coaches are very aware of the other money students get.

1595115679150.png

The NCAA requires schools to offer at least 14 sports (7 men, 7 women or 6 men, 8 women) to be D1. Title IX in theory (though many violate) requires that scholarships be provided to men and women in the ratio of their student enrollment. So it is difficult to cut women's soccer scholarships without also cutting men's football scholarships.
The major conferences asked for a blanket exception to this rule due to covid. The NCAA denied the blanket exception, but said it will analyze a request on a case by case basis. With football being gutted, you can bet every school is applying to the NCAA for waivers from this rule.

Yes.
You can get more money because of RACE, therefore reducing how much you need from the sport.
Below was also what my daughter majored in, that exact year, and was not qualified to receive that money, so about $250->$300K difference in money based on race (5 year program). Coaches are very aware of the other money students get.

View attachment 8187

Dartmouth still has scholarships for Native Americans (the school was founded for educating the inhabitants up in what was then the wilderness) and any student graduating from high school while a resident of Wheelock, Vermont (they have to attend school somewhere else - it's pretty much back to wilderness now) is guaranteed admission and a full ride. The town of Wheelock was granted to Dartmouth in its early cash-starved years, and Dartmouth agreed to a payback - 9 scholars so far in about 200 years.

Dartmouth still has scholarships for Native Americans (the school was founded for educating the inhabitants up in what was then the wilderness) and any student graduating from high school while a resident of Wheelock, Vermont (they have to attend school somewhere else - it's pretty much back to wilderness now) is guaranteed admission and a full ride. The town of Wheelock was granted to Dartmouth in its early cash-starved years, and Dartmouth agreed to a payback - 9 scholars so far in about 200 years.
That was a final 2 of the schools my DD was considering. Beautiful area. NO merit scholarships, as in all the Ivy's. Just "needs" based and the other stuff.

That was a final 2 of the schools my DD was considering. Beautiful area. NO merit scholarships, as in all the Ivy's. Just "needs" based and the other stuff.

They don't have merit scholarships, but they do have merit admissions, for the most part.

They don't have merit scholarships, but they do have merit admissions, for the most part.
I think all DI schools are like that. I shopped my son for rowing and the Ivy's were happy to talk. In the end, he didn't want to row and ended up at the USAFA basically for being fit and smart enough. At the time my DD selected on major, not money, not soccer, but soccer got her in.

BTW - if you've got a kid who is wanting to serve, smart enough, and tough (athletics more important than grades) - the service academies are great. @21 he's a 2nd Lt, bought a house and has a job the next 10-20 years.

I think all DI schools are like that. I shopped my son for rowing and the Ivy's were happy to talk. In the end, he didn't want to row and ended up at the USAFA basically for being fit and smart enough. At the time my DD selected on major, not money, not soccer, but soccer got her in.

BTW - if you've got a kid who is wanting to serve, smart enough, and tough (athletics more important than grades) - the service academies are great. @21 he's a 2nd Lt, bought a house and has a job the next 10-20 years.
Good advice. Those open to service academies can also look into ROTC at most universities too.

Good advice. Those open to service academies can also look into ROTC at most universities too.
True, but ROTC is a bit like junior college. It all works. I also comes and goes/can be taken away. I would not advise ROTC over the actual service academies except for the researched focused. Those are not, should not be DI athletes .

How many years of service do you have to complete once your 4 years of ncaa eligibility are over when you play sports at a service academy?

How many years of service do you have to complete once your 4 years of ncaa eligibility are over when you play sports at a service academy?
5 years active and 3 years in reserve for Air Force Academy graduate. I think other service academies are similar.

Not sure if playing sports make any difference. If I recall correctly, David Robinson was allowed to serve only two years because he was deemed too tall to have a career with Navy.

True, but ROTC is a bit like junior college. It all works. I also comes and goes/can be taken away. I would not advise ROTC over the actual service academies except for the researched focused. Those are not, should not be DI athletes .
Service Academies (SA) are great options IF you can get in. Your kid is a “rockstar.” Many will not be successful in gaining admission into a SA and can take ROTC at their university as an alternative route to SA.

Sports have nothing to do with it. You have a mandatory job for at least 5 years depending one what job you choose. It can be 10 years.
The graduate is an officer getting paid $60K+. That and putting their life on the line if needed. So again, if they are the type willing to serve, great deal. If not, wrong direction.

Service Academies (SA) are great options IF you can get in. Your kid is a “rockstar.” Many will not be successful in gaining admission into a SA and can take ROTC at their university as an alternative route to SA.
IMO most elite female soccer players are a shoe-in. As are male cyclists. The physical demands for females were not at my DD's soccer level and way below my son's level. But sure you need to have good grades and test scores and tell a story and really really be an athlete. The ROTC thing is not a good option for the soccer player. If you are a player, do the DI athletic thing. The ROTC is not a sports path. If you are an academic - like 95+ percentile then maybe ROTC and just do school and more school. I think the kid is better off going in the front door, or doing sports.

I am not sure what you mean "ROTC is a bit like junior college"? They have ROTC at all levels of colleges (UCLA, etc) and it can be a great option. It is a big commitment and a lot of work. You can get a full scholarship where you might not get money like that for soccer and it can be at whatever college you are applying to. If you are at a D1 school it would be challenging to do both ROTC and soccer because of the time commitment for each. You do have to complete the years of service after graduating college but it can open doors for a lot of career paths and opportunities, many benefits as a veteran

Unless some players graduate.
By the time the young women are 22 and ready to graduate and move on, many of them will, unless they are in the pool to turn pro. They can also use their one year of eligibility to help them get into a grad program and play one year for the new school.

I am not sure what you mean "ROTC is a bit like junior college"? They have ROTC at all levels of colleges (UCLA, etc) and it can be a great option. It is a big commitment and a lot of work. You can get a full scholarship where you might not get money like that for soccer and it can be at whatever college you are applying to. If you are at a D1 school it would be challenging to do both ROTC and soccer because of the time commitment for each. You do have to complete the years of service after graduating college but it can open doors for a lot of career paths and opportunities, many benefits as a veteran
Junior college works, you get a degree. ROTC works too, you get a degree and end up in the military. You probably do not play DI soccer on ROTC. The kids from the service academys seem to get promoted faster. A particular ROTC officer I know would complain about being just as smart, but not getting the treatment that the academy kids did. He was just as smart, but did not get promoted as quickly. Maybe because of his personality, maybe because the others came out of the US Naval Academy, West Point or USAFA. They just got more creds, except for the top academic majors where ROTC provided ways to do research at top universities.

This scope here is kids that play soccer. If you want to be a ROTC and research scientist and play competitive DI that is just not going to happen at a competitive school. You CAN be in the service academy and play soccer. Your game/team will suffer a bit as they generally don't care that that marching might affect your game, but you certainly can do both.

If you are after a degree where you need to be at a school that offers ROTC - do it, and forget soccer.
If you want to play soccer, there is not much at a DI university that is valuable for ROTC and allows you to play soccer. Classes may will conflict with practice etc. It is just super hard to do both.

So - if you want to play soccer AND be in the military - just go to a service academy

For US Air Force Academy (Navy is similar, I don't know West Point, but I'd expect also similar)
5, 8 or 10 - depends.
Min is 5, that is typically an office job.
8 I think for remote piloted aircraft (drones). They are licensed pilots.
10 for pilot from when you get out of pilot training. Very many stay longer.
10 for certain post graduate degrees but some time can be served concurrently.
A pilot that owes 10 who gets a Masters or Phd does not now owe 20 to the best of my understanding.
It also depends what that major is. A graduate degree helps promotion. That means more money sooner, and more when retired.

Back