quality of HS soccer compared to club

What do you mean by SD? If you mean San Diego schools, I don't believe it would be legal for a school to not allow players from any league.

It's actually the other way around. DA does not allow HS play.

Another question: Why don't high school schedule matches over the weekend? Seems obvious on the benefits of doing that.
we had a game last weekend. only one of this year but last year we had 3 Saturday games during league

This! DD plays at a D3 school in SD. Kids from 2 DA clubs on the team, so DPL players. It is rare when she can play it out of the back or make a quick throw to start a fast counter, just not what they (players) are looking for. Last year at her club the coach spent tons of time moving the ball around right in front of own net, hours & hours. They played exclusively out of the back. It takes time and a commitment to make it work, not to mention you need to have the players capable of playing that style. Far less risk pushing the ball up the field and retrying to win it there.

keep in mind the quality of the fields as well. Most of the non-varsity games in our area are on patchy dirt/crabgrass. Tough to make passes when the ball is skipping around in unexpected directions. Much easier to boot it

keep in mind the quality of the fields as well. Most of the non-varsity games in our area are on patchy dirt/crabgrass. Tough to make passes when the ball is skipping around in unexpected directions. Much easier to boot it
Understood, but DD is on the varsity team and they play/practice on turf. Every game (so far) has been on turf as well.

Here's another perspective on why teams don't build out of the back in high school.
Many JV and Frosh/Soph coaches are former players at the high school (maybe the graduated last year). Some are local club coaches. Some are biology teachers. Lots of varsity coaches have club experience and may have a few licenses. At the JV and Frosh/soph level all you need is to take the NFHS online course.
Teams typically have at least 20 players on the roster. It is pretty hard to run an effective practice with 1 coach and that many players. Especially a bunch of giggling freshman. So you have a new coach (who may not have ever been taught to play out of the back by any of her former coaches. Especially if she was the star forward). And you have a large roster of girls that haven't played together before. And you have a strong sense of school pride and REALLY wanting to win against your buddies at other schools. And you have a pretty short season with minimal time in between games. And you have girls who are getting hurt (Great to play out of the back when your starting back line is all healthy. But if the back up isn't as strong, you risk it).
You have 90 minutes 2-3 times per week and 2 games per week. And the "season" is really the month of January. Not saying it's the right way to do things, but I understand why teams play this way.

This! DD plays at a D3 school in SD. Kids from 2 DA clubs on the team, so DPL players. .
I thought SD did not allow DA players this year?
What do you mean by SD? If you mean San Diego schools, I don't believe it would be legal for a school to not allow players from any league.
MyDaughter said that there are 2 DA clubs on his dd's high school team, so I was questioning that because I thought CIF San Diego does not allowing DA players even at private schools this year/need based exemptions. He clarified it by saying DPL players are on the team.

But maybe someone can clarify for me San Diego CIF rules this year:
I know that many DA teams do not allow their players to play high school soccer (I am correct that it is a club rule or is it a DA Rule?)
Last year, DA players were allowed to practice with their DA teams and also play high school if they had an exemption-enrolled in a private school with a scholarship predicated on playing high school soccer.
This year, I heard that no DA players could play high school soccer in San Diego -CIF was not granted exemptions.
But then I saw some DA players on high school rosters. Did the players quit DA and plan to rejoin the same or other team after the high school season? OR are they still allowing exemptions for private school players.

When my ds was playing, the loophole was easy to get around. Quit DA during high school and rejoin afterwards. But I thought they did away with the loophole?

DA has a rule that you can’t play any other soccer. Some can get exemptions.
High School has a rule that during the season, you can’t participate in the same sport with an outside team. (Doesn’t matter if it’s DA, dpl, AYSO or even a pick up scrimmage with lots of your teammates). The Hs rule is not specific to DA). If the high school (or really if a rival high school) has proof that players are attending practices with the club, that high school would likely have to forfeit games.
I’m not sure what the consequences are if a DA player is on a HS team without a waiver. Will US soccer or the club kick them out?

DA has a rule that you can’t play any other soccer. Some can get exemptions.
High School has a rule that during the season, you can’t participate in the same sport with an outside team. (Doesn’t matter if it’s DA, dpl, AYSO or even a pick up scrimmage with lots of your teammates). The Hs rule is not specific to DA). If the high school (or really if a rival high school) has proof that players are attending practices with the club, that high school would likely have to forfeit games.
I’m not sure what the consequences are if a DA player is on a HS team without a waiver. Will US soccer or the club kick them out?
Chiming in.. High school/CIF rule is that a high school player may play the same sport if that sport has less than 1/2 the players on the court as the high school sport. eg, a high school basketball player cannot play in a 3v3 basketball tournament but a high school volleyball player may play in 2v2 beach volleyball tournament.

Presumably, high school soccer players could play/practice 5v5 futsal team/tournament.

DA does have a rule that says no high school soccer. Exceptions to this rule can/do include DA players playing on a private high school soccer team when said players are on soccer-related scholarship.

Chiming in.. High school/CIF rule is that a high school player may play the same sport if that sport has less than 1/2 the players on the court as the high school sport. eg, a high school basketball player cannot play in a 3v3 basketball tournament but a high school volleyball player may play in 2v2 beach volleyball tournament.

Presumably, high school soccer players could play/practice 5v5 futsal team/tournament.

DA does have a rule that says no high school soccer. Exceptions to this rule can/do include DA players playing on a private high school soccer team when said players are on soccer-related scholarship.
Would it make sense to move high school to full year season - like they're looking to do with college - and then have one game on Saturday's?

Could pay the coaches 50% to 100% of a teacher's salary - i.e. if they coach just Varsity, or both JV and Varsity. (Assumes 4 practices per week at 2 hours per practice and 30 games per year)

I don’t know why I am thinking that there are no exemptions in San Diego this year but OC still have them.

I don’t know why I am thinking that there are no exemptions in San Diego this year but OC still have them.
believe there's a private OC high school that has several Pats DA players on their high school roster...

Back