quality of HS soccer compared to club

Are these numbers specific to boys high school soccer coaches only? Or do they apply to all sports, both genders, and all levels (JV, FR, & Varsity)? If they only include boy's soccer, we're gonna need a little more from Fort Knox. Although, .2% seems small, it is a large amount when you have thousands of things to finance.

I like the idea of bringing club soccer back to high school because it opens up access to all and would make the quality of high school soccer better.
the $400m would cover head coaches for both boys and girls, and JV and Varsity. Any additional $ for frosh, and assistant coaches would be incremental to current system. And, to be conservative, assumes every high school in CA would participate

At our HS, we had over 150 girls try out. Most of them are currently playing club soccer. About half of them made one of the 3 teams.
So under your model, there's 75 kids between the ages of 14 and 18 that won't be playing soccer. (And our boys tryouts were similar). I know this isn't the case for all schools.

I'd rather see California put sports back in at the middle school level. Basketball, soccer, baseball, tennis for sure. Maybe even tackle football. Give kid that can't afford the time or money associated with club sports.

At our HS, we had over 150 girls try out. Most of them are currently playing club soccer. About half of them made one of the 3 teams.
So under your model, there's 75 kids between the ages of 14 and 18 that won't be playing soccer. (And our boys tryouts were similar). I know this isn't the case for all schools.
probably clubs don't go away for high school. just that high school is expanded.

anyone who didn't make high school, could keep playing club, as they do now. thinking about it, high school would compete more w/ DA than club level play.

probably clubs don't go away for high school. just that high school is expanded.

anyone who didn't make high school, could keep playing club, as they do now. thinking about it, high school would compete more w/ DA than club level play.
K-read your material on the boys side. Good stuff. I truly am enjoying your devils advocate here. A new twist your adding.

On pay, absolutely fair point re; current pay structure. Looks like most coaches get about $10-$15k w/ no benies

Point would be to pay coaches for their time. So the hours would be 16 hours per week (4 days -m thru r - practice m-r 2hrs x 2 teams (JV and Varsity) plus two games on Saturday (3 hours per game x 2 games). Doing the math, 22 hours per week w/ teacher's break during summer. Assumes also that coaches put in similar prep as teachers do for class prep for practices, games, video analysis etc.

Would be reasonable to pay someone who did those hours a full time teacher's salary plus benies. In CA, this would average to about $60k+ salary plus another 20% for health insurance etc, and then same professional development that teachers' get. i.e. essentially make soccer coaches full time teachers.

What are the other objections to this? Genuinely asking.

Where are you getting the 10-12k number for coaching high school soccer from?

High school coaching stipends are usually around $3-4K per year.
I’m assuming you are actually asking a serious question...but where in the world would the money come from to pay coaches full time? Soccer is not special. Take a stab at the added cost per school district to make all its coaches full time employees. Might as well keep going - include the performing arts programs too.
Educators would just like full funding for the academic needs of students.
How is fully funding year round extracurriculars in the public interest?

I heard the pay is not good at all. I don;t know how much refs get paid these days but the abuse they go through is insane. With all the price increases in club I think it's now time to pay good refs good pay. Bad pay=bad refs or just unhappy refs who don't feel appreciated imho. I say refs should strike for more pay. HS has been good so far and not as bad as club. Thanks to all the refs who work hard for us :)
Ref pay in HS games is a lot better than Club. 80 minute HS game 3-man is $77-62-62 and 2-man is $68 each. Club 3-man for an 80 minute game is $62-37-37. ARs make considerably more in a HS game. My guess would be that 75 percent of HS refs also work Club games and 20 percent work college, so the quality of refs in HS and Club should be similar.

Would it make sense to move high school to full year season - like they're looking to do with college - and then have one game on Saturday's?

Could pay the coaches 50% to 100% of a teacher's salary - i.e. if they coach just Varsity, or both JV and Varsity. (Assumes 4 practices per week at 2 hours per practice and 30 games per year)
And, where are HS going to get this extra money to pay these coaches. They barely have enough to pay the coaches now.

On pay, absolutely fair point re; current pay structure. Looks like most coaches get about $10-$15k w/ no benies

Point would be to pay coaches for their time. So the hours would be 16 hours per week (4 days -m thru r - practice m-r 2hrs x 2 teams (JV and Varsity) plus two games on Saturday (3 hours per game x 2 games). Doing the math, 22 hours per week w/ teacher's break during summer. Assumes also that coaches put in similar prep as teachers do for class prep for practices, games, video analysis etc.

Would be reasonable to pay someone who did those hours a full time teacher's salary plus benies. In CA, this would average to about $60k+ salary plus another 20% for health insurance etc, and then same professional development that teachers' get. i.e. essentially make soccer coaches full time teachers.

What are the other objections to this? Genuinely asking.
Most coaches are lucky to get paid $2000 for the current season. They get a set budget that has to cover any new uniform items, buses, Coach salaries for F, JV and Var, plus other expenses that may come up. No way do any So Cal coaches make anywhere near $10K.

Watch the videos @Fact. It's been posted multiple times. If he ran from the sidelines to punch the kid that hard, what makes you think he won't continue to do the same? I don't judge a man by his fatherly instinct to protect against an attacker nor claim to do better than him.
I saw the video and the kid that gets punched flies backward and lays on the ground. It was a pretty scary punch thrown. If it was your kid, you might act the same way. Look here at the 57 second mark.

So to your point if only half of 150 girls made 3 teams, the other half is not good enough to make HS teams, even though they playing club?

And, where are HS going to get this extra money to pay these coaches. They barely have enough to pay the coaches now.
CA gov. Money's there but some choices would have to be made. key would be making the argument that playing year long soccer is critical to student's academic success. other programs focusing on the academic success of a set of students throughout the year exist.

CA gov. Money's there but some choices would have to be made. key would be making the argument that playing year long soccer is critical to student's academic success. other programs focusing on the academic success of a set of students throughout the year exist.
Actually many boys keeping grades in HS so they can play. Off season they don't care about their grades.

Back