quality of HS soccer compared to club

question for folks. went to a big rivalry high school match a couple of weeks back. both schools are good and one is ranked by tds.

both schools did nothing but long goal kicks with no attempt to play out of the back, and long throw-ins down the side w/ no attempt to play short or into the middle, despite having opportunities to do so.

Am familiar w/ a number of players on each team, and know that they know how to play.

in folks' experience, is this typical of high school soccer these days?
thanks that is what my OP was about.

i do not have a horse in this race, but as i was dropping my dd off for her lacrosse practice, she coaches a bunch of ulittiles at esperanza. They were waiting for the Esperanza boys varsity to finish their game against Foothill. Foothill was up 2 nil. Esperanza scores a sloppy goal and celebrates. After the goal a Foothill player charges, punches and knocks out an esperanza player. fist to the head = two fire trucks and several ambulances later....the player still unconscious and leaves in an ambulance.

quality of soccer, coaching, refs and parenting seems to be on par with what happened last weekend at galway downs.

i do not have a horse in this race, but as i was dropping my dd off for her lacrosse practice, she coaches a bunch of ulittiles at esperanza. They were waiting for the Esperanza boys varsity to finish their game against Foothill. Foothill was up 2 nil. Esperanza scores a sloppy goal and celebrates. After the goal a Foothill player charges, punches and knocks out an esperanza player. fist to the head = two fire trucks and several ambulances later....the player still unconscious and leaves in an ambulance.

quality of soccer, coaching, refs and parenting seems to be on par with what happened last weekend at galway downs.
It was probably about more than soccer. Someone was probably dating an ex-girlfriend or was talking too much. At least the parents didn’t rush the field or pull a gun.

South County is only very small area of HS soccer. Most other games at schools in Orange county start at 3:15 pm. You are lucky with games starting at 4:30 pm
My experience with schools is that they think everyone has at least 1 stay at home parent and/or are independently wealthy. Absolutely no concern from schools for scheduling events during the middle of the day.

Playing out of the back requires a bit of rehearsal and comfort with your teammates. HS soccer is pretty short term, so not a lot of teams will work on it.
And most hs teams will put in a fast kid over a technical kid. And/or they put the tall kids on the backline to win 50/50 balls and smack it forward.
The 1st pass when trying to build from the back is the easy one. The 2nd, 3rd and 4th are where it takes practice and patience.
This! DD plays at a D3 school in SD. Kids from 2 DA clubs on the team, so DPL players. It is rare when she can play it out of the back or make a quick throw to start a fast counter, just not what they (players) are looking for. Last year at her club the coach spent tons of time moving the ball around right in front of own net, hours & hours. They played exclusively out of the back. It takes time and a commitment to make it work, not to mention you need to have the players capable of playing that style. Far less risk pushing the ball up the field and retrying to win it there.

Another question: Why don't high school schedule matches over the weekend? Seems obvious on the benefits of doing that.
That would add to the staffing costs for the school by having a janitor there to open and close gates, bathrooms, etc.

This! DD plays at a D3 school in SD. Kids from 2 DA clubs on the team, so DPL players. It is rare when she can play it out of the back or make a quick throw to start a fast counter, just not what they (players) are looking for. Last year at her club the coach spent tons of time moving the ball around right in front of own net, hours & hours. They played exclusively out of the back. It takes time and a commitment to make it work, not to mention you need to have the players capable of playing that style. Far less risk pushing the ball up the field and retrying to win it there.
I thought SD did not allow DA players this year?

That would add to the staffing costs for the school by having a janitor there to open and close gates, bathrooms, etc.

Transportation/ cost would also be a problem since may teams travel by bus during the week. Weekend busing would be a lot more expensive I would image. Some schools rent our there fields on the weekends also to make some $ so don't see it happening for the most part but tournaments and whatnot sure.

My son went to one his friends game the other night, more scoring in HS and less defensive played according to what hes used to. Not that many can defend 1-1 vs good attackers so you get mismatches, double teams, and more wide open games. Lots of balls flying in the air, keeper punts, not nearly as much playing out the back or passing is the impression I got from him

@Emma - this is why you never punch anyone unless in self defense.

I have always thought that in addition to sex ed. and drug education, high school kiddos should have to have a day or 2 of education about consequences of bad behavior, including how harmful a punch can be. I hope the player makes a speedy recovery.

I have always thought that in addition to sex ed. and drug education, high school kiddos should have to have a day or 2 of education about consequences of bad behavior, including how harmful a punch can be. I hope the player makes a speedy recovery.
@Fact - I don't promote violence and I would never hit anyone unless it was self defense. However, the example at Galway Downs is Self Defense. That person took a swing at the 9/10 year old kid that sent him flying at least 5-7 feet. Self Defense doesn't stop at yourself, it can also be used to defend your helpless young child. You may think that you can assess a situation quickly and figure out that the person who swung at your child, sending him flying, is just a teenager that needs to be held down but I am honest and know that I would make sure I physically neutralize that person to make sure his 2nd punch doesn't send my kid in an ambulance or worse, after that I check on my child.

I understand why the father hit that teenager. He's a father and he reacted to the situation as a father. It's very easy to play Monday morning quarterback and say how we would have been very calm in that moment and go hug that teenager so tight that he couldn't hit our child anymore and hand him over to the refs or authority. Then go check back and check on our child. While this is a very perfect scenario, we're humans and not perfect.

I am with you and hope the kid makes a speedy recovery.

@Fact That person took a swing at the 9/10 year old kid that sent him flying at least 5-7 feet.
The child went flying at least 5-7 feet? Were did you hear that? And if true, I think he was clearly away from the teen and out of warms way. I would love to see any video you have of were the dad, his kiddo and the teen were when the dad decided to go after the teen. The teen depending on the age should be charged as an adult and the dad should be held accountable as well.

The child went flying at least 5-7 feet? Were did you hear that? And if true, I think he was clearly away from the teen and out of warms way. I would love to see any video you have of were the dad, his kiddo and the teen were when the dad decided to go after the teen. The teen depending on the age should be charged as an adult and the dad should be held accountable as well.
Watch the videos @Fact. It's been posted multiple times. If he ran from the sidelines to punch the kid that hard, what makes you think he won't continue to do the same? I don't judge a man by his fatherly instinct to protect against an attacker nor claim to do better than him.

Watch the videos @Fact. It's been posted multiple times. If he ran from the sidelines to punch the kid that hard, what makes you think he won't continue to do the same? I don't judge a man by his fatherly instinct to protect against an attacker nor claim to do better than him.
Don't deflect, answer the quetion.

Kid might be in the wrong sport if he can wear a glove and knock out a kid wearing a mask and helmet.

Back