Placer United stirring it up

Yes dk! Love your picture of the Snowman. Sorry your daughter's frosh year isn't going as planned. Hopefully she is doing OK with it.

You saw that Lamorinda withdrew from norcal, right? Is it over the recruiting complaints? GAL league and tourneys for them. It will be interesting to see how that model works.

I thought someone within Lamorinda was suing NorCal for racial inequality within the leadership team or something like that.

I thought someone within Lamorinda was suing NorCal for racial inequality within the leadership team or something like that.

I had not heard that but it’s hard to believe that norcal would have ejected the club after someone filed suit. And I do know that many many clubs complained about Lamo’s aggressive in-cycle recruiting (a number of PAD filings over the years)

I had not heard that but it’s hard to believe that norcal would have ejected the club after someone filed suit. And I do know that many many clubs complained about Lamo’s aggressive in-cycle recruiting (a number of PAD filings over the years)

I have no idea of the timeline regarding the chicken or the egg on this one but the info seemed legit. On another note, it's really sad for the Lamo teams if they cannot get adequate competition to keep their talent even though all they can do right now is train anyways. They've put out some legit teams over the years too.

I have no idea of the timeline regarding the chicken or the egg on this one but the info seemed legit. On another note, it's really sad for the Lamo teams if they cannot get adequate competition to keep their talent even though all they can do right now is train anyways. They've put out some legit teams over the years too.

yes but it’s been a while since they had their last great team - I think those women would be Srs in college this year if I’m not mistaken.

This is how I have the story...although I can't say for sure. I think they were getting pounded at the RAC level. Clubs were refusing to play them because of alleged rule violations. I think the entire region was refusing to schedule them. The matter got kicked up to the norcal bod and they were going to settle it with some sanctions. Before the sanctions were agreed to, Lamorida sent a letter to formally withdraw from norcal. I don't think norcal wanted that outcome. I don't know how it got so heated at the RAC level. I never heard of a lawsuit, but emotions were certainly running hot.

They still have some great teams.

OK. Which age groups would you consider to be among their "great teams"? Just curious (I recognize that that is entirely subjective and it is not a reflection on their style of play (I think their players play some nice soccer))

I know you didn't ask me, (but we did play in that club for almost 3 years,) but I agree. They teach some great soccer. Building from the back, no kick ball, etc. BUT-they let politics get in the way of their overall success. Maybe that will shift with their new leadership? One can hope I guess.

OK. Which age groups would you consider to be among their "great teams"? Just curious (I recognize that that is entirely subjective and it is not a reflection on their style of play (I think their players play some nice soccer))

Going to be interesting to see how much impact there was with the demise of DA. Being on hiatus makes it tough to keep on top of gossip.

I know you didn't ask me, (but we did play in that club for almost 3 years,) but I agree. They teach some great soccer. Building from the back, no kick ball, etc. BUT-they let politics get in the way of their overall success. Maybe that will shift with their new leadership? One can hope I guess.

new leadership? or you mean new competitive platform?

So back to Placer United... What's the latest? None of the allegations are the least bit surprising. That club has always embraced an arrogant posture towards the rules. Once families get past the honeymoon phase they realize the club is more about hype and marketing and money rather than substance. Its all about the Benjamin's at Placer United. It's been quite the dumpster fire over there with coaches and players, some really good players, checking out even before DA collapsed. Some would say karma is a bitch. So what's the latest? I hope it's gory.

So back to Placer United... What's the latest? None of the allegations are the least bit surprising. That club has always embraced an arrogant posture towards the rules. Once families get past the honeymoon phase they realize the club is more about hype and marketing and money rather than substance. Its all about the Benjamin's at Placer United. It's been quite the dumpster fire over there with coaches and players, some really good players, checking out even before DA collapsed. Some would say karma is a bitch. So what's the latest? I hope it's gory.
Although we’re not there this year, my girls played 7 good years at Placer. I never saw any arrogant rule breaking. They were lucky to learn from a number of good coaches and they were consistently taught to play good soccer there. They were supported by Placer in all their extra development platforms. We paid less at Placer than most of the surrounding clubs were charging and received more training. It was tough for the club to lose DA, and they did lose some good players who wanted more than the NPL platform could offer. I don’t think calling that a dumpster fire is accurate or fair. As I understand it, the “allegations” were one parent/coach from a competing club taking pics of kids waiting outside the indoor training facility to be let in for country approved training. Unfortunately for Placer the local media ran with the story assuming the club was violating state order, and upon learning that the county had approved the club training plan, never issued a retraction. The two DOC’s currently leading the club put a lot of time, energy and heart into the club and their players. Besides that they’re both very good coaches. There’s an update and another perspective for you. I wish all the staff and players at Placer well.

Although we’re not there this year, my girls played 7 good years at Placer. I never saw any arrogant rule breaking. They were lucky to learn from a number of good coaches and they were consistently taught to play good soccer there. They were supported by Placer in all their extra development platforms. We paid less at Placer than most of the surrounding clubs were charging and received more training. It was tough for the club to lose DA, and they did lose some good players who wanted more than the NPL platform could offer. I don’t think calling that a dumpster fire is accurate or fair. As I understand it, the “allegations” were one parent/coach from a competing club taking pics of kids waiting outside the indoor training facility to be let in for country approved training. Unfortunately for Placer the local media ran with the story assuming the club was violating state order, and upon learning that the county had approved the club training plan, never issued a retraction. The two DOC’s currently leading the club put a lot of time, energy and heart into the club and their players. Besides that they’re both very good coaches. There’s an update and another perspective for you. I wish all the staff and players at Placer well.
Your 05 team was good.

I think the "arrogant rule breaking" reputation came to them in the late 90s early 2000s. Their staff coaches could teach a master class in it....Billy Wiskel, AJ Utush, Gregg Thompson, and O'Brien.

O'Brien is on the Norcal Boad of Directors. Getting busted was not a good look. Calling in legal made it worse. PUSC is now on probation for a year...for whatever that is worth. That said, I still hate that they are enforcing the "code of ethics" when soccer was completely shutdown with no hope of reopening before the tryout window. It doesn't make any sense.

O'Brien had been with Placer United for 20+ years. Not sure what happened that they couldn't make some sort of "send off" for appearances. From 2019 to now, it looks like they dropped quite a few of the highly credentialed coaches. Most clubs held pat.

Regardless of league or other issues, PUSC will continue to be a top option in Region 6.

Ya..late 90’s and early 2000’s was well before our time and 3 of those 4 haven’t been there since we have. The rest is not my business nor my place to speak about.

They put out some great teams and do teach some great soccer. Gregg is still around, (which you probably know, over at Blues,) and not sure what happened to Paul after leaving Placer. They do have some solid coaches. We just didn't have a great experience last year, but that was likely isolated to our age group going to crap.

Say and believe what you want, but Placer got caught red handed and I think you are cherry picking the facts. The media didn't just run with the story, they also presented facts such as the county response that they didn't approve or were even aware of the trainings and that they provided State guidance which at the time prohibited trainings. See the news article here.

And the picture taken by the parent/coach was of the players waiting at the back door with no social distancing. Nobody ever enters that facility using the back door. That door is usually only opened for ventilation. So the use of the back door in this instance/context is seemingly an attempt to conceal nefarious activity.

What's also interesting are the blue shirts that look similar to the Blues FC training kits. Recruiting violation? Probably.

Placer United lost more than 'some' good players. They lost a lot of good players looking for something more than NPL. So no ECNL (girls side), which is a better platform than NPL other wise Placer never would have bothered to apply for it, and the loss of quality players and coaches, paired with probation and possibly recruiting violations, and topped with the normal nonsense within the club's leadership you get the stench of a dumpster fire and kool aid for the same price as the surrounding clubs.

Blind loyalty is all good until it impairs your ability to see the objective truth. I'm curious to know if your dds aged out or if they chose to go to a different club?

Say and believe what you want, but Placer got caught red handed and I think you are cherry picking the facts. The media didn't just run with the story, they also presented facts such as the county response that they didn't approve or were even aware of the trainings and that they provided State guidance which at the time prohibited trainings. See the news article here.

And the picture taken by the parent/coach was of the players waiting at the back door with no social distancing. Nobody ever enters that facility using the back door. That door is usually only opened for ventilation. So the use of the back door in this instance/context is seemingly an attempt to conceal nefarious activity.

What's also interesting are the blue shirts that look similar to the Blues FC training kits. Recruiting violation? Probably.

Placer United lost more than 'some' good players. They lost a lot of good players looking for something more than NPL. So no ECNL (girls side), which is a better platform than NPL other wise Placer never would have bothered to apply for it, and the loss of quality players and coaches, paired with probation and possibly recruiting violations, and topped with the normal nonsense within the club's leadership you get the stench of a dumpster fire and kool aid for the same price as the surrounding clubs.

Blind loyalty is all good until it impairs your ability to see the objective truth. I'm curious to know if your dds aged out or if they chose to go to a different club?
My DD’s chose to go to a different club this year, but left on good terms, grateful for a wonderful experience at Placer. We value the relationships we’ve made with many good coaches and families there over the years. Your lens is a little different than mine and that’s ok too. Perhaps you had a bad personal experience there.

I just looked up the guy that is quoted in this article....Dude is like a mustache-less Magnum PI. He runs his own Private Investigation firm and is retired FBI. No wonder this went so big and had such an impact on PUSC. Before retiring from the FBI, he helped infiltrate the Vagos MC and was the dude that caught the Kings exec who stole all that money from the Kings and Golden 1!

From the article:
“It was made clear to all of us,” John Sommercamp said. “No organized soccer events outside of your own family.”

Sommercamp is a coach at another local club and he cited health concerns related to unsanctioned indoor practices, which the CDC lists as higher risk.

From Sommercamp's website:
"Professional, Accomplished, Trusted
Owen Investigations

Owen Investigations (formerly the 1811 Group) is a private investigation and consulting firm specializing in criminal defense for businesses and individuals. Whether you’re facing a federal, state, or local criminal prosecution – we review the evidence and discovery to identify strengths, weaknesses, and vulnerabilities that can affect your case.

Retired FBI Special Agent John Sommercamp created this firm to offer affordable investigations and consulting services to private individuals and companies. We aim to provide the same level of quality, dedication, expertise, and professionalism to our clients as the Federal Bureau of Investigation provides to the United States.

License Number: 27438
John Sommercamp
Retired FBI Special Agent John Sommercamp
Accomplishments

FBI Director’s Award winner for nation’s most successful investigation into mortgage fraud following the collapse of the industry.
Successfully indicted dozens of health care fraud individuals who were involved in defrauding the State of California Medi-Cal Program.
Infiltrated several nationwide outlaw motorcycle gangs, resulting in a multitude of convictions and the disruption of their illegal drug and weapons activities.
Recovered over $14 million in assets purchased with stolen funds from an NBA franchise and obtained the confession and cooperation of the insider who devised the scheme to abscond with the funds. Read Full Story"

Back