MLS Next Expanding in SoCal?

That's true of the top ECNL teams, but the middle and lower teams are not great. The AZ teams would be competitive but not dominant in the local AZ state leagues. Those top AZ state league teams play ECNL competition in various tournaments & showcases and can comfortably compete in head to heads against ECNL teams outside the very top ones. That's not an elite league imv. There are some elite teams though obviously.

I'd have to wonder why Surf, for example, would want to stay in ECNL on the boys side. Their U13 team has a +108 goal difference. They top their division in every age group for a combined goal difference of +238. So U13 through U18/19 they have out scored their opponents by 346 goals.

I guess the MLS academies don't really care as they just wait and cheery pick who they want at U14 & 15 from the SoCal ECNL pool, so it works for them.
middle and lower MLS next clubs are worse than the ECNL middle and lower

That's true of the top ECNL teams, but the middle and lower teams are not great. The AZ teams would be competitive but not dominant in the local AZ state leagues. Those top AZ state league teams play ECNL competition in various tournaments & showcases and can comfortably compete in head to heads against ECNL teams outside the very top ones. That's not an elite league imv. There are some elite teams though obviously.

I'd have to wonder why Surf, for example, would want to stay in ECNL on the boys side. Their U13 team has a +108 goal difference. They top their division in every age group for a combined goal difference of +238. So U13 through U18/19 they have out scored their opponents by 346 goals.

I guess the MLS academies don't really care as they just wait and cheery pick who they want at U14 & 15 from the SoCal ECNL pool, so it works for them.
surf would have the same goal differences in mls next and only the mls academies would beat/tie them

surf would have the same goal differences in mls next and only the mls academies would beat/tie them
I don't know if that's true, e.g. the AZ MLS teams (not academies per se) are levels above the AZ ECNL teams. Those AZ teams would be a way better matchup, and if I were a Surf parent I'd much prefer to play those 4 AZ teams than the existing AZ ECNL teams.

That's not to say that some MLS Next teams are not poor, I don't doubt that they are.

I don't know if that's true, e.g. the AZ MLS teams (not academies per se) are levels above the AZ ECNL teams. Those AZ teams would be a way better matchup, and if I were a Surf parent I'd much prefer to play those 4 AZ teams than the existing AZ ECNL teams.

That's not to say that some MLS Next teams are not poor, I don't doubt that they are.
sorry about that. I was meaning only the Socal teams. Arizona ecnl teams aren't good across the board.

Most AZ if not all ECNL teams will no longer be ECNL next season. There may be a move out of southwest ECNL but staying in ECNL.

Surf cup and surf college cup is one of the few places we see these teams meet. ECNL teams had a near 80 percent winning percent over MLS next teams.

Cal South and Cal North had better results over ECNL teams than MLS next. At like 40 percent win rate.

These tournaments are the only places we can get a true sample. College coaches I know we’re much more impressed with the play of ECNL teams BUT more importantly the academics of those teams as a whole. MANY mls next teams has ballers but they didn’t have grades to get into even the least selective colleges. A CSU coach was lamenting to me that one team didn’t have a single player he could recruit despite wanting a couple of those players. Not a single player was carrying a 3.0 or above and over 1/2 had below a 1.5.

Why would Surf move out of ECNL in either gender? Over the last two or three years their U18/19 teams in both genders have sent many players to top academic colleges that play D1 like Stanford, Cal, UCLA, UCSD, UCI, UCD, UCSB, Northwestern, Notre Dame, UPenn, Princeton and more.
These kids have better luck playing college D1 and getting drafted by the MLS than kids playing for non-MLS academies.

Why would Surf move out of ECNL in either gender? Over the last two or three years their U18/19 teams in both genders have sent many players to top academic colleges that play D1 like Stanford, Cal, UCLA, UCSD, UCI, UCD, UCSB, Northwestern, Notre Dame, UPenn, Princeton and more.
These kids have better luck playing college D1 and getting drafted by the MLS than kids playing for non-MLS academies.
Nope, when you're 14-16 players start to get funneled into the College Track or the Professional Track. It might not sound like much but it's really hard for a 22 year old to compete after college with 18 year olds that dont care about education.

Theres always exceptions but for the most part once you start down a certain path that's where you end up.

Nope, when you're 14-16 players start to get funneled into the College Track or the Professional Track. It might not sound like much but it's really hard for a 22 year old to compete after college with 18 year olds that dont care about education.

Theres always exceptions but for the most part once you start down a certain path that's where you end up.

If a player is not in the top 3-4 of his year at an MLS academy by 16 then it is very unlikely that he will make a real living playing soccer. For most, attending college is the better life option.

San Diego getting an MLS team, which sets up its own MLS Academy, would fundamentally disrupt the Boys youth soccer market for Surf ECNL and other San Diego and Temecula-area teams, both MLS Next and ECNL. It's probably only a matter of time for both San Diego and Phoenix.

It already has as you have SD kids playing at LAFC, Galaxy, Austin, Philly and RSL. But agree it would be even more disrupted with a local academy. The expansion of fully funded MLS youth academies has been a game changer for the boys soccer market and will continue to be.

San Diego getting an MLS team, which sets up its own MLS Academy, would fundamentally disrupt the Boys youth soccer market for Surf ECNL and other San Diego and Temecula-area teams, both MLS Next and ECNL. It's probably only a matter of time for both San Diego and Phoenix.

LA has had three MLS teams (including a failure) while SD gets none. Someone at MLS/USSF seems to have had their eyes closed for the past few decades. They have missed the box-office success of the SD Spirit in the former women's league and multiple sellouts of the big stadium (70,000+) for meaningful games involving USMNT or Mexico MNT.

Snapdragon Stadium is designed to seat 35,000+ as is, with drawings in place to expand to 55,000.

It already has as you have SD kids playing at LAFC, Galaxy, Austin, Philly and RSL. But agree it would be even more disrupted with a local academy. The expansion of fully funded MLS youth academies has been a game changer for the boys soccer market and will continue to be.
Imagine what would happen to the SD local boys club landscape. Instantly everyone would become B teams. So much arrogance that would get laughed at with a pro acadamy program in town.

SD Surf boys from U15-19 already play for the Loyal Select Academy. When the MLS gives SD the go ahead for a team the, the Loyal would that team and their MLS youth academy would be the Surf teams.

Surreal that the coach from liverpool gets fired which results in all the players from two teams following him to play for strikers EA ONLY for liverpool to get MLS next.
How are SoCal Reds going to build a quality team when their Liverpool EA team struggled? Are they promoting the team to struggle even more or will they recruit all new players?

6gcj2g-jpg.13569

I'm sure they're both trying right now.

Problem is ECNL has made it clear that if you go MLS Next you'll lose Girls ECNL.

Eventually something is going to happen. My prediction is that 2-3 top ECNL teams in Socal will break off to go MLS Next. When this happens will they put the girls in GA? Socal? Form some new super élite league? As long as they do it as a group whichever league they play the girls in will become the place to be.

I'm sure the issue with above is that clubs are comfortable with ECNL + like holding all the cards. Which wouldn't be the case if they went to GA (as an example).
Surf has made it clear to parents they are NOT moving to MLS Next.

Back