MLS Next Expanding in SoCal?

They would never go to Next, to much invested in ECNL Boys and Girls
Correct . Gotta Remember ECNL wants Clubs that are fully invested so they're not fans of pulling one side out. Seems like Pulling out the boys could risk the girls side for some clubs.

Found out it is Liverpool. MLS sanctioned league doesn't allow international club names to be represented therefore So Cal Reds is the name

Surreal that the coach from liverpool gets fired which results in all the players from two teams following him to play for strikers EA ONLY for liverpool to get MLS next.

Hilarious !!! Luckily my friend just stayed and just watched the exodus of all the players.

I feel like that coach wanted to leave for a while anyway and it doesn't look like MLS wanted to give Liverpool olders, so maybe it was for the better???
I doubt MLS will end up giving them olders next year, I kinda feel like its similar to the old DA, they would give new clubs a couple younger teams and see how they'd do, and if they did well continue to bring in the younger teams....older teams are kinda out of luck

if MLS is the top league then they'll roster about 20 of the best kids and make a MLS team. On the boys side MLS is the top draw. ECNL started as a girl league and with ECRL on the boys side they just watered it down, having two tiers. Good Luck to the the new teams, GS has always had decent teams, Liverpool I haven't been impressed with since they started in OC, ridiculous fees, and overpromising everything......

Any word if San Diego Surf or Legends will try to join MLS this upcoming season?
I'm sure they're both trying right now.

Problem is ECNL has made it clear that if you go MLS Next you'll lose Girls ECNL.

Eventually something is going to happen. My prediction is that 2-3 top ECNL teams in Socal will break off to go MLS Next. When this happens will they put the girls in GA? Socal? Form some new super élite league? As long as they do it as a group whichever league they play the girls in will become the place to be.

I'm sure the issue with above is that clubs are comfortable with ECNL + like holding all the cards. Which wouldn't be the case if they went to GA (as an example).

If Legends and Surf girls left ECNL, I assure you that Beach, Blues, Slammers will chuckle and enjoy the plethora of new talent that heads their way. They would have no motivation to follow those two clubs. Legends just got into ECNL after years of trying. Surf is not sacrificing their girls club for the boys. They are way too successful.

I'm sure they're both trying right now.

Problem is ECNL has made it clear that if you go MLS Next you'll lose Girls ECNL.
They don't do that in AZ. Rising has ECNL on the girls side and MLS Next & ECNL on the boys side. The boys ECNL is a way lower standard than their MLS teams.

RSL-AZ has ECNL on the girls side, via the Royals label, and actually got kicked from ECNL on the boys side for some naughty goings on. They also have (& had) MLS Next.

So I don't understand why they would only apply the "all in" rule in SoCal.

As an aside, I see RSL-AZ now has 2 U13 & U14 MLS Next teams.

If Legends and Surf girls left ECNL, I assure you that Beach, Blues, Slammers will chuckle and enjoy the plethora of new talent that heads their way. They would have no motivation to follow those two clubs. Legends just got into ECNL after years of trying. Surf is not sacrificing their girls club for the boys. They are way too successful.
If Surf, Slammers/KOGE, Legends and Beach moved to GA, it would make a difference in Socal and no one would leave those clubs bc of the transition to GA. The only reason people are not in GA is because of the level of competition in Socal but GA does have a reputation for having good showcases and getting scouts to their games.

If Surf, Slammers/KOGE, Legends and Beach moved to GA, it would make a difference in Socal and no one would leave those clubs bc of the transition to GA. The only reason people are not in GA is because of the level of competition in Socal but GA does have a reputation for having good showcases and getting scouts to their games.
But, they would not move there. That is my point. Why would they? They all have boys in ECNL.

All indications are that the Strikers boys side pulling out, cost the girls ECNL.

if MLS is the top league then they'll roster about 20 of the best kids and make a MLS team. On the boys side MLS is the top draw. ECNL started as a girl league and with ECRL on the boys side they just watered it down, having two tiers. Good Luck to the the new teams, GS has always had decent teams, Liverpool I haven't been impressed with since they started in OC, ridiculous fees, and overpromising everything......
Who’s opinion- every college coach I know says ECNL boys has the better teams and players overall minus the MLS teams.

But, they would not move there. That is my point. Why would they? They all have boys in ECNL.

All indications are that the Strikers boys side pulling out, cost the girls ECNL.

That's what my sources said. ECNL was very upset that Striker Boys were added to ECNL a few years ago and the moment they saw MLS Next, they decided to move. The reality is more teams will move to MLS Next. On the girls side who cares if ECNL is better than GA in SoCAL. There's a real college path for good (not great) players in ECNL teams that are not starters to move to GA to get visibility from college scouts. Once more parents realize this, you will see more players move to GA rather than sit on the ECNL bench/ECRL. ECNL only exists because they have sold parents that this is the best program in Socal. It's true but GA definitely can get you visibility.

Who’s opinion- every college coach I know says ECNL boys has the better teams and players overall minus the MLS teams.
That's true of the top ECNL teams, but the middle and lower teams are not great. The AZ teams would be competitive but not dominant in the local AZ state leagues. Those top AZ state league teams play ECNL competition in various tournaments & showcases and can comfortably compete in head to heads against ECNL teams outside the very top ones. That's not an elite league imv. There are some elite teams though obviously.

I'd have to wonder why Surf, for example, would want to stay in ECNL on the boys side. Their U13 team has a +108 goal difference. They top their division in every age group for a combined goal difference of +238. So U13 through U18/19 they have out scored their opponents by 346 goals.

I guess the MLS academies don't really care as they just wait and cheery pick who they want at U14 & 15 from the SoCal ECNL pool, so it works for them.

I’ve actually seen very little MLS academies cherry pick from ECNL. For most US soccer players college is the goal. I have had several players offered LAG academy and declined because of the online school and have had many former Galaxy II players share the reality. Very low pay once they make Galaxy II with little chance at a call up. Every time they thought they had a shot another international player gets the shot instead. They now are out of the league with little education, working jobs they don’t like and discourage the jump.

Back