MLS Next Expanding in SoCal?

I’ve heard rumors of MLS next adding more teams in SoCal. Anyone know if there is any truth in that?

and if this is true what does it mean for boys ECNL soccer?

How many are there in SoCal?

Is it:

SD area - Albion SD, City SC, Chula Vista
Murrieta/Temecula - Murrieta Surf SC
LA - Galaxy, LAFC, LA UFA, TFA
Santa Barbara - Santa Barbara SC
OC - Strikers

Am I missing any?

word is Golden State or LA Force will be moving from ECNL to MLS NEXT
I am going to guess that ECNL expands by 1 club to balance out the North and South divisions of the SW conference. If FC Golden State leaves that would maybe mean 2? Purely a guess but am also hearing MLS next expansion happening.

word is Golden State or LA Force will be moving from ECNL to MLS NEXT

It's official

It's official

Good for mls next. Consolidate into one path for boys.

Are the So Cal Reds affiliated with Liverpool IA Socal? I see Paul Holohan with Liverpool is a coach or director at So Cal Reds

This past weekend I saw a few games at Silver Lakes between ECNL teams. I saw FCGS U15 lose to SD Surf 1-0 in a game that Surf should have won by 3 or 4 goals. If any team needs to be added to the MLS Next league in SoCal it should be SD Surf since all their teams are in first place in the ECNL Southwest Conference. LAFC is by far the best club in SoCal along with LA Galaxy but I don't think SD Surf is too far behind them.

can they delete some teams as well, huge difference from top to bottom. Good luck to the newly added teams.

This past weekend I saw a few games at Silver Lakes between ECNL teams. I saw FCGS U15 lose to SD Surf 1-0 in a game that Surf should have won by 3 or 4 goals. If any team needs to be added to the MLS Next league in SoCal it should be SD Surf since all their teams are in first place in the ECNL Southwest Conference. LAFC is by far the best club in SoCal along with LA Galaxy but I don't think SD Surf is too far behind them.

They would never go to Next, to much invested in ECNL Boys and Girls

ECNL is stronger in Socal with the exception of galaxy and lafc

ECNL is stronger in Socal with the exception of galaxy and lafc
Maybe in San Diego as long as Surf remains ECNL (although Chula Vista has had some strong MLS Next teams in certain age groups), but it's hard to say that in areas farther north. With Strikers leaving last year for MLS Next and FCGS East leaving this year for MLS Next, that's two of the six former Socal DA clubs that originally went to ECNL who are leaving for MLS Next in just two years. Not a promising trend. It also may be no coincidence that the two former DA/ECNL clubs affiliated with pro teams - Strikers (Cal United Strikers) and FCGS (LA Force) - are the ones making the move first. They may want to be associated with a pro league and their pro affiliated teams may ultimately look to move to MLS Next Pro.

Now, if you're saying that there are individual ECNL teams better than MLS Next teams, absolutely, probably at every age group. That's particularly true with some of the legacy DA clubs in ECNL. Ideally, the top teams/clubs of ECNL and MLS Next would combine. That is effectively what is starting to happen with Strikers and FCGS returning. You also saw a lot of ECNL players try out for MLS Next teams once high school season ended. Kids tend to seek out whatever is perceived as the best, especially as they get older.

Would love to see a league with LAFC, LAG, SD Surf, FCGS, Strikers, Pats, Earthquakes, Sac Republic, Timbers, Sounders, Crossfire and RSL or a tournament with all of them!

Back