LA Surf Implodes

I agree.....ya just got to remember to put the SD before Surf in these current times....though most of us know that just "Surf" means SD ;)

Do you suppose anyone at the old San Dieguito Surf of the 80's and 90's would eventually evolve into a franchising operation that actually reduces the reputation of the club's legacy?

Do you suppose anyone at the old San Dieguito Surf of the 80's and 90's would eventually evolve into a franchising operation that actually reduces the reputation of the club's legacy?
Excellent point. I think Surf has a strong brand in SD, but someone(s) has watered the brand just like they have with competition in SoCal. More is not always better and were ALL finding out why.

Just to clarify, SD Surf is a wholly own subsidiary of Surf Sports.

Surf Sports owns and franchises "Surf SC" branding, along with the lease to the polo fields and Oceanside complex, not to mention the tournaments.

SD Surf SC has no control over who the parent license the name to nor do they see any financial benefit from it, as I understand to be.

All that said, clearly the SD Surf started the parent company and at some point became a victim of their own success.

Just to clarify, SD Surf is a wholly own subsidiary of Surf Sports.

Surf Sports owns and franchises "Surf SC" branding, along with the lease to the polo fields and Oceanside complex, not to mention the tournaments.

SD Surf SC has no control over who the parent license the name to nor do they see any financial benefit from it, as I understand to be.

All that said, clearly the SD Surf started the parent company and at some point became a victim of their own success.

Interesting theory, that rates a half a coocoo --

Coo.

So this press release is Surf admitting their affiliates are a REC program.....NJ Surf will have the teams and name below ECNL level and Match Fit Academy will have the name and run the ECNL program........but it really is about being The Best of the Best, not $$, you got that haters!!!!???? It is almost like this week with the three announcements has just been made up as an early April fools...... :p

Yes, but I bet they were hoping to poach players to fluff up their DA teams - remember none of the DA teams were that strong so it seems like it would be difficult to recruit
At least on the boys side, it really isn't very difficult to recruit for the DA, even if your teams isn't that great, it's still the DA. They can poach players whether they're affiliated with the club or not. The only advantage to having a larger club is for part time players who get to play with their club team and some games on the DA.

Interesting theory, that rates a half a coocoo --

Coo.
I know you live in Poway (by your own statements in the past) and believe you know all about SD soccer scene but you really owe it to yourself to do some due diligence before dismissing some information that you may not be aware of. You may be surprised to see what is really going on....

At least on the boys side, it really isn't very difficult to recruit for the DA, even if your teams isn't that great, it's still the DA. They can poach players whether they're affiliated with the club or not. The only advantage to having a larger club is for part time players who get to play with their club team and some games on the DA.
You definitely see the latter phenomenon this year among the boys DA clubs with a large number of affiliates. For instance, just in Boys U14, LA Surf, Pateadores, and FC Golden State all have added PT players between the end of league season and Nat'l club, some from affiliates that aren't particularly close to where the DA team practices. It helps the DA teams with injuries etc., but it allows top kids at the affiliate clubs a chance to get a taste of DA and a chance to develop/impress without leaving their club teams high and dry right before Nat'l Cup

I know you live in Poway (by your own statements in the past) and believe you know all about SD soccer scene but you really owe it to yourself to do some due diligence before dismissing some information that you may not be aware of. You may be surprised to see what is really going on....

I rated it as only half crazy, so you could say that I half believe it to be true. The Surf Cup operation disconnected from SD Surf long before I was interested in those things, and the evolution into Surf Cup Sports looks like material for a book someone on the inside should write someday.

I am pretty much disconnected from local youth soccer except through my niece, whose team's games are usually too far away for me to go watch (unless they get some local National Cup games). She passed on the chance to play HS JV because the scheduling required missing some of her tougher classes in order to get out early enough for the bus rides, among other things.

And I don't live in Poway any more (although houses over the city line are visible from my street), my son moved away so he doesn't play, coach, or ref around here anymore, and I had to give up the high school volunteer work because of my health.

It's not just LA, OC has some news I'm sure will hit the wire soon. @RedCard do you think parents will wait it out til May 31st?
I just think when the DA season ends on MAY 31st, all hell will break out (IMO). It's just like the same scenario last year when news hit the day after the DA season ended that LAP was coming on board. That's when parents; especially those who were with LAP in the past; got upset. In regards to the SGV Surf teams, I can see them not waiting until June 1st as those teams are in the National Cup which starts in early April. They will probably bolt right after the National Cup. But I will have a huge bag of popcorn next to me on June 1st, that's for damn sure...

Yes, but that is pure speculation on my part based on what I've heard. It's interesting that all this is happening right after the meetings in Nashville.

Given how helpful you have become, please tell us what you’ve heard and why it’s going to create all the movement. Don’t leave us hangin’...

More than the age group change?

2020 has been changing and facing change for 6 years, but they are headed to college and it is what it is. The 2021 and forward are going to have to get a grip. Youngers are good. Olders are stressed. So many rule changes, yet early recruits. And then we have club changes and coaching changes. Take your time peeps. Just take your time. Let your player figure out their place and focus and go with it. Trust in your player, since most clubs seem to only trust in the $.

2020 has been changing and facing change for 6 years, but they are headed to college and it is what it is. The 2021 and forward are going to have to get a grip. Youngers are good. Olders are stressed. So many rule changes, yet early recruits. And then we have club changes and coaching changes. Take your time peeps. Just take your time. Let your player figure out their place and focus and go with it. Trust in your player, since most clubs seem to only trust in the $.
I agree 2023 and younger are all good. What US Soccer/DA/Surf Cup Sports pulled on all of us was horrible. I told everyone we will see later. 2020 and 2021 have had it the worse. Let's all go back to memory lane shall we....
2016-2017 age groups 02/03 and 03/04 School year. All is good for most except those at Legends and Beach
2017-2018 Age groups 04, 03 and 02/01 Birth year change (Change teams)
2018/2019 Age group 04, 02/03. Combo meal for 02/03 (03 and 02 change teams again)
2019/2020 Age groups 04, 03 Back to single band (change again) Beach, Legends and Surfing USA are the happy ones. Can you all see who the winners are and the losers?
Now what? What are they all cooking up in da kitchen with all the chefs? They don;t care about your kid. They only care about getting more sign ups and more affiliates so they can make more $$$$ and grow franchises like Ray Kroc did when he took the best burgers and ice cream shakes that were made with real ice cream and took McDonald's across the county. Kroc didn;t know how to "develop" good food, only a salesman and he is now the Founder? He decided to make fake ice cream so he could sell more franchises faster. He wanted everything sped up fast so HE could make more money. He also hustled the two cooks who actually invented the best burgers west of the Mississippi. Go watch the founder and tell me how the soccer business is any different.

Last edited:
Back