LA Surf Implodes

So basically from what I understand, the teams from San Marino will leave. But Surf will keep San Marino as a location and try to build new teams. I don't think they will have much luck though because its just LA Premier with a new coat of paint.
Where will they play out of? Field space isn’t exactly widely available in that area.

I hear many different things about him. Not hear to judge the coach. Prior to June last year, both LA Surf family and the Chavez clan were selling ECNL to all the parents. I know this from a dad from socal. Then coach Barry who also was the u15 girls YNT coach came in to make one big family. Instead of ECNL, they were sold DA. So no DA?
This is not entirely true. From my sources I heard it wasn’t Chavez or SoCal trying to sell ECNL. They were hoping to get ECNL on their own and didn’t succeed. It was when SD Surf came in looking to form LA Surf with the three clubs whom I hear was certain they can get ECNL or DA in the area but failed too because Premier was around the corner.

Reactions: JV6
This is not entirely true. From my sources I heard it wasn’t Chavez or SoCal trying to sell ECNL. They were hoping to get ECNL on their own and didn’t succeed. It was when SD Surf came in looking to form LA Surf with the three clubs whom I hear was certain they can get ECNL or DA in the area but failed too because Premier was around the corner.
Interesting. I find that really hard to believe. Surf was never ever going to get ECNL. Trust me. I was there when they were forced to pick one or the other. Not winning like the blues was putting them in a tough business corner. I was the type of customer who asked questions. I called customer service line and the help desk. Sad thing, no one helped me. I was sold ECNL when in fact they were going DPL 100%. This is horrible however you look at it. Especially for the kids right in the middle of recruiting. What about the super star 13 year old. What are her parents going to do. So sad :(

Last edited:
This is true. I talked to Chavez several times before we even transitioned to Surf, and he wanted ECNL and was denied. ECNL was always the goal.

This is true. I talked to Chavez several times before we even transitioned to Surf, and he wanted ECNL and was denied. ECNL was always the goal.
Thanks for sharing and I'm only interested because I went through ECNL, DA and DPL decisions and I'm always curious about what others have to struggle with in youth soccer. So he joined LA Surf in Jan 2019 because they told told him and all of you they will get ECNL because they have a special connection at ECNL BOD and LA Surf was a shoe in to get ECNL spot? Then June 11th, 2019 the big merger happen with LA Premier and Coach Barry. Did you guys and coach Chavez say anything then about why no ecnl and then the old switcheroo to DA and DPL? That's the big beef I hear most parents complain about and some parents filling a little but mislead. I almost made a decision with thousands of dollars off of a big fat lie :( That sucks and then you feel stuck and trapped for 6 months and now all this? Gee, something is not right somewhere in the communication imho. Good luck LA......

Thanks for sharing and I'm only interested because I went through ECNL, DA and DPL decisions and I'm always curious about what others have to struggle with in youth soccer. So he joined LA Surf in Jan 2019 because they told told him and all of you they will get ECNL because they have a special connection at ECNL BOD and LA Surf was a shoe in to get ECNL spot? Then June 11th, 2019 the big merger happen with LA Premier and Coach Barry. Did you guys and coach Chavez say anything then about why no ecnl and then the old switcheroo to DA and DPL? That's the big beef I hear most parents complain about and some parents filling a little but mislead. I almost made a decision with thousands of dollars off of a big fat lie :( That sucks and then you feel stuck and trapped for 6 months and now all this? Gee, something is not right somewhere in the communication imho. Good luck LA......
Sounds about right...

So it looks like not only LA Surf will be losing teams, but @methood just posted that the former West Coast FC teams are leaving OC Surf and are taking their West Coast FC name back. What in the blue hell is happening at Surf?!?!?!?!?!

It was just a matter of time before this exploded, thought it would last longer but didn’t last a year. From what I am hearing all fingers are pointing to LAPFC management for this explosion. Welcome to US Club soccer where greed and wins surpasses your kid and their true development. All the lies and sweet talking these coaches/DOC do with parents is quite sad. Don’t fall for it folks. Remember we are the cu$tomers so choose wisely and do what is in your child best interest. Good Luck to all involved
What kinds of sweet talks and Lies bro? My friend just threw his hands up last night and is about to lose his marbles.....

So is anyone going to share more on this thread or did an order go out to stop talking about this circus? Curious about what is going to happen to the DA teams as this can’t be good for the club no matter how hard they try to spin it. Also, BR was Coach for U16 GNT one time and then disappeared from that arena. Wonder why happened?

I have the easiest job in the world so I can sit by my computer all day and wait for the latest news. Nothing today at all. I think you nailed it on the head 43. Calm before the big storm?

I thought I was a strong "He Man." However, I'm still trying to figure out, "WHATS GOING ON" the last three years in youth soccer and I think I finally figured out, "whats going on."

Last edited:
So is anyone going to share more on this thread or did an order go out to stop talking about this circus? Curious about what is going to happen to the DA teams as this can’t be good for the club no matter how hard they try to spin it. Also, BR was Coach for U16 GNT one time and then disappeared from that arena. Wonder why happened?
Nothing will happen with the DA teams. The only reason the word DA is associated with LA Surf is because LA Premier, who had the status joined the party. If they leave, which is unlikely, the status would go with them.

Yes, but I bet they were hoping to poach players to fluff up their DA teams - remember none of the DA teams were that strong so it seems like it would be difficult to recruit

Yes, but I bet they were hoping to poach players to fluff up their DA teams - remember none of the DA teams were that strong so it seems like it would be difficult to recruit
Aside from the u17 age group, they are stronger than oc surf.

I’m not sure that says much to compare to OC Surf - we’ll see where all the teams end up at the end of the season when all the games have been played and counted - right now they all have different number of game that have been played so it is not a fair comparison. Also, they don’t include the scores from the showcases in the standings so that is not an even comparison with the rest of the DA teams.

Aside from the u17 age group, they are stronger than oc surf.

That's like saying the 2016 Browns were stronger than the 2017 Browns....they still weak lol

But to be more accurate the u17 (03) and u14 (06) OC Surf teams are both just ahead of the LA Surf teams....LA Surf is just ahead in u15, u16 and u18/19.......soccer 43 is right about game played.....BUT both club's teams are nearer the bottom than the top of the standings and it's pretty clear these two mostly represent $$ with the SD teams the only ones actually doing business on the field.......

Also, I am more interested in success of the team/club measured by college commits. If you look at clubs and which players are committed to top or decent colleges the best clubs seem to be SoCalBlues, Legends, Surf, and Slammers

Also, I am more interested in success of the team/club measured by college commits. If you look at clubs and which players are committed to top or decent colleges the best clubs seem to be SoCalBlues, Legends, Surf, and Slammers

I agree.....ya just got to remember to put the SD before Surf in these current times....though most of us know that just "Surf" means SD ;)

Back