Is DA done?

yup, am assuming The Athletic was waiting for solid confirmation before publishing.

They are left center bias but try to get the facts right mostly.

Waiting until the "official" annocement instead of the old "as soon as tommorow" bit might have been more prudent but that's media today sometimes they run with things and can always retract or make updates.

I have to say since I have a DA playing son that I will be bummed if the rumor is true. However, the termination of DA is probably the best decision in the long term. DA failed miserably in its mission. Of course, it was run by US Soccer so its failure was inevitable. COVID may have done us all a favor in this instance.

My biggest concern is that in the panic by clubs to replace it as the "top" league that youth soccer will become even more disjointed and diluted. I'm thinking that it may be best to sit this one out for a year to see if and how it settles out and have my son play futsal in the meantime...he would'nt complain.
Don't sit out when the next season starts - whenever that ends up happening. Find a place that has the training and a culture that you and your son will enjoy - and play. Take care of what you will do the following season next year. One season/year at a time is enough to plan.

Announcements will come tomorrow. 2 big press releases which will bring clarity to some of the rumors mentioned above. 8am and 11am (or 1pm).

Per source Pats are telling their 03-04 players that they are trying to go ECNL but it’s a long shot as they have already missed the application deadline for the 20-21 ECNL season. Several players have begun to reaching out about moving teams

For beng 0-3 you should be buying. Maybe you can get a hit tomorrow. Brush up in the batter's cage. Someone called the shots last week

For beng 0-3 you should be buying. Maybe you can get a hit tomorrow. Brush up in the batter's cage

Sometimes when you swing for the fence you get a hit! I'll keep swinging

This should have happened years ago. Many of the DA's outside California wouldn't be top 50 teams in SoCal and half of the SoCal DA's were mediocre. Some actually got worse after going from club to DA. How can you claim to have the best players playing on the best teams when it was pay for play at many of these DA's and much of the top talent was not geographically or financially able to play at a DA,. That's a big reason our MNT struggles. The politics of pay to play have ruined the sport. They should make all the MLS Academies residential and invite the top teams within a 3-4 hour driving radius to compete in a promotion/relegation league. Players in really rural areas would still have opportunities to get scouted by other means and would have the ability to join an MLS Academy if it was residential and fully funded. This is the only way to consolidate the best talent in the U.S. Remove the politics and give the truly talented kids a real opportunity to become world class players like they do in Europe. The DA experiment was a miserable failure. I'm glad the powers that be are waking up to that reality.

Don't sit out when the next season starts - whenever that ends up happening. Find a place that has the training and a culture that you and your son will enjoy - and play. Take care of what you will do the following season next year. One season/year at a time is enough to plan.

That would work too. He told me today he wants to play water polo of all things, not a knock on water polo, just a curious choice.

Get the focus right now on near term. 100% makes sense.

But, for folks to consider it's the right time to lift the head up, here's an article describing - among other things - the scouting system Bielsa set up for Newell's and Atlas.

Key Bielsa quote: "I designed a structure to observe 20,000 players a year,...” in Argentina, a geo about 1/3 the size of USA and pop about 15% of USA. Even assuming an order of magnitude discount for hyperbole, seems like we could be doing much better than we are in USA, with or without DA.

Here's article: https://thesefootballtimes.co/2019/09/19/marcelo-bielsa-the-mexico-diaries/

Screen Shot 2020-04-14 at 9.30.16 PM.png

That would work too. He told me today he wants to play water polo of all things, not a knock on water polo, just a curious choice.

Water polo is fun, brother was always at the pool in HS. If I didn't surf so much might have joined him.

Email sent out to strikers parents about an important announcement tomorrow.

Hearing about a lot of virtual meetings tomorrow, going to be a busy day.

Golden State boys already in ECNL.

You don't join ECNL you apply and get approved or not.

Doesn't have to be anything but carry on
I'm guessing that the FCGS ECNL team moves to ECRL or Flight 1.
The MLS DA Teams will only field a U17 and U19 team, players on the other age group teams will need to find new teams.

What's going to happen with teams that have DA and ECNL? Will DA become the ECNL team and the ECNL become the gold/flight 1 team?

Back