How is the MLS league different from DA?

Here is the reasons that the NWSL will not sponsor a league for the girls like the MLS for the boys.
1. None of them make a profit.
2. ENCL/clubs do all the development and then Title 9 takes care of development in college, why spend money when most of the work is already done. Just stand back and offer the dreamers a pittance to keep playing.
3. The success of the USWNT will eventually draw enough people that they make a profit without investing more than they have to.
Such a bummer that in order for your dd to play in America after college you have to pay for her to be a pro. No thanks!!!

To be honest, I think this "MLS Elite" league is all a smokescreen, MLS league? I don't think so, I've heard it will have different categories, one for MLS clubs and then a separate category for those "elite" clubs. Why not have both regular club teams and MLS play against each other?

The non-MLS are only involved for filler games and for MLS reserves to get their games in. I’m not sure the parents understand that yet. They will be shit on, taken advantage of, will travel more and they will be the bottom of the food chain. MLS clubs don’t want to play non-MLS but they need the filler games. Attached is the competitive format (shhhh, it’s top secret) and as you can see the MLS teams are only committing to 20% of their games being played against non-MLS in specific age groups and everything else is TBD.

I think this was the inevitable next step for MLS. It’s years in the making so they can do what they want and not be under the control of US Soccer but the better move for the non-MLS was boys ECNL which just gained legitimacy on the boys side because of the clubs that jumped in on that. I’m guessing that the clubs that got in to this MLS league weren’t accepted in to ECNL so they had to have some flavor of kool-aid for their families to drink. I doubt anyone would turn down the established ECNL platform for a new and unproven league just because MLS is backing it.

Attachments

• 9778A24C-1BAF-4ADF-8428-26F2A348D3DC.jpeg
    9778A24C-1BAF-4ADF-8428-26F2A348D3DC.jpeg
    435.9 KB · Views: 160
The non-MLS are only involved for filler games and for MLS reserves to get their games in. I’m not sure the parents understand that yet. They will be shit on, taken advantage of, will travel more and they will be the bottom of the food chain. MLS clubs don’t want to play non-MLS but they need the filler games. Attached is the competitive format (shhhh, it’s top secret) and as you can see the MLS teams are only committing to 20% of their games being played against non-MLS in specific age groups and everything else is TBD.

I think this was the inevitable next step for MLS. It’s years in the making so they can do what they want and not be under the control of US Soccer but the better move for the non-MLS was boys ECNL which just gained legitimacy on the boys side because of the clubs that jumped in on that. I’m guessing that the clubs that got in to this MLS league weren’t accepted in to ECNL so they had to have some flavor of kool-aid for their families to drink. I doubt anyone would turn down the established ECNL platform for a new and unproven league just because MLS is backing it.

We're a non-MLS team in the MLS league and our DOC had said that we'd be play non-MLS teams more than MLS teams due to competitive differences. It makes sense to me. IDK what Koolaid other DOC's are selling. I'm still skeptical about the MLS league until play begins, but the support of USYS is very significant to the viability of the league. At the end of the day, DA, MLS, ECNL are just leagues nothing more, nothing less. If someone tells you otherwise they're drinking the Koolaid.

I like the fact that they actually spelled out the 80% vs 20% (assuming your attachment is public information). As long as it's transparent, it's up to each player to decide what works for him.

I like the fact that they actually spelled out the 80% vs 20% (assuming your attachment is public information). As long as it's transparent, it's up to each player to decide what works for him.
Someone else can do the math, but that's probably the ratio of MLS to non-MLS teams in the league anyway.

We're a non-MLS team in the MLS league and our DOC had said that we'd be play non-MLS teams more than MLS teams due to competitive differences. It makes sense to me. IDK what Koolaid other DOC's are selling. I'm still skeptical about the MLS league until play begins, but the support of USYS is very significant to the viability of the league. At the end of the day, DA, MLS, ECNL are just leagues nothing more, nothing less. If someone tells you otherwise they're drinking the Koolaid.
In reading the USYS announcement their “collaboration‘ is more with the MLS directly. Here is the only thing they mention about this league “USYS also looks forward to collaborating with the new MLS elite youth competition platform which will include more than 8,000 players throughout the U.S. and Canada and will consist of elite year- round competition, as well as player identification initiatives, coaching education opportunities, and additional programming to create the premier player development environment.’

Which Is basically what USYS offers every member anyways. Player ID initiatives = ODP, Coaching Education = because that’s where they make their money and additional programming to create player development environments = vague statement meaning nothing at this time since no details are provided.

The MLS league originally stated they were going to be sanctioned through USSSA, this could also be a move by USYS to keep those 8,000 players worth of registration dollars. If they still sanction through USSSA then the collaboration is truly only at the MLS level. The issue will be if USYS tries to put their foot into this pond they are going to stir the muddy waters because of the USYS philosophy of being ”all inclusive” instead of “Exclusive”. This league should only be one of all of the numerous leagues they sanction, not one that is elevated above the numerous leagues they sanction. This makes your statement Watfly on point. ”At the end of the day DA, MLS, ECNL are just leagues, nothing more, nothing less”. What koolaid flavor everyone likes to drink is up to them.

That document isn’t public info. It was part of the contract signed by the non-MLS clubs that are part of this league. Whether or not the clubs share this information with the parents is another story. They should be transparent about it. Whether they are or aren’t is another story.

I think you have plenty of former DA parents that would be okay in the Elite pathway with the "chance" of the Pro Pathway, regardless of how many games they play the MLS clubs, than not in consideration at all (ECNL). That's basically what the DA offered to some extent. Potential ID for national team/MLS clubs. Agree, it's ALL koolaid drinking but we have lots of thirsty grown ups.

I think you have plenty of former DA parents that would be okay in the Elite pathway with the "chance" of the Pro Pathway, regardless of how many games they play the MLS clubs, than not in consideration at all (ECNL). That's basically what the DA offered to some extent. Potential ID for national team/MLS clubs. Agree, it's ALL koolaid drinking but we have lots of thirsty grown ups.
1589930353181.png

If that attachment is accurate, it sounds like the non-MLS teams in U15 in Socal will get MORE games against MLS Academy teams than they did when they were in DA. In DA at U14, they got 4 games against Galaxy and LAFC (two each) out of 28 games (assuming they played no MLS teams in the showcase). In other words, they only got a little over 14% of their games against MLS teams. Now they get 20% against MLS Academy teams according to the right side of the table in the attachment, or 8 out of 40. The rest of their games are against former DA teams that are not affiliated with an MLS team, which is the same as they had in DA.

Even if we assume the former DA clubs in Boys ECNL negotiated a similar 80/20 split so they could mostly play the other former DA teams (and I don't know if that is true), that still leaves them playing 20% of their games against the pre-existing Boys ECNL teams, many of whom in Socal were not even competitive against CSL Gold teams and SCDSL Flt 1 Championship teams.

So, it seems like both groups of non-MLS former DA teams may continue to mostly play other non-MLS DA teams for the majority of their games, but the ones in the MLS league play stronger teams for the rest of their games and the one in Boys ECNL play weaker teams for the rest of their games.

If that attachment is accurate, it sounds like the non-MLS teams in U15 in Socal will get MORE games against MLS Academy teams than they did when they were in DA. In DA at U14, they got 4 games against Galaxy and LAFC (two each) out of 28 games (assuming they played no MLS teams in the showcase). In other words, they only got a little over 14% of their games against MLS teams. Now they get 20% against MLS Academy teams according to the right side of the table in the attachment, or 8 out of 40. The rest of their games are against former DA teams that are not affiliated with an MLS team, which is the same as they had in DA.

Even if we assume the former DA clubs in Boys ECNL negotiated a similar 80/20 split so they could mostly play the other former DA teams (and I don't know if that is true), that still leaves them playing 20% of their games against the pre-existing Boys ECNL teams, many of whom in Socal were not even competitive against CSL Gold teams and SCDSL Flt 1 Championship teams.

So, it seems like both groups of non-MLS former DA teams may continue to mostly play other non-MLS DA teams for the majority of their games, but the ones in the MLS league play stronger teams for the rest of their games and the one in Boys ECNL play weaker teams for the rest of their games.
So how long until those former DA clubs in ECNL are negotiating to switch to the MLS League? ;)

That's basically what the DA offered to some extent. Potential ID for national team/MLS clubs.

That is probably true especially on the YNT ID but many Boys ECNL Players and other Club players have been targeted by the MLS and accepted into their academies across America.

So how long until those former DA clubs in ECNL are negotiating to switch to the MLS League? ;)

And we are back to which is the stronger league. I could say that the Non-MLS teams will still be trying to get into boys ECNL. It is a set-up in place with showcases over 4 dates throughout the country and close enough to limit travel. Are Nomads and City going to get tired of playing Albion over and over. I think right now the Southwest is where there are great players in both leagues and it will be interesting to see where they all land.

And we are back to which is the stronger league. I could say that the Non-MLS teams will still be trying to get into boys ECNL. It is a set-up in place with showcases over 4 dates throughout the country and close enough to limit travel. Are Nomads and City going to get tired of playing Albion over and over. I think right now the Southwest is where there are great players in both leagues and it will be interesting to see where they all land.
I think it's more of which is the league that is perceived to offer what the thirsty parents are after. Playing MLS clubs seems to be a big draw. Give it a year of MLS and if they seem to have it together, clubs like Surf will likely attempt the one foot in each league approach with their boys teams that they did on the girls side with ECNL/DA, if not just make the switch entirely.

I think it's pretty simple, MLS will have a stronger Boys league now and into the future and ECNL will continue to have the stronger Girls league. With the DA shut down, the only real change is that ECNL will have even more of the top girls than before. Most of the top boy players whos clubs that moved to ECNL will eventually move to a nearby MLS league club.

I think it's pretty simple, MLS will have a stronger Boys league now and into the future and ECNL will continue to have the stronger Girls league. With the DA shut down, the only real change is that ECNL will have even more of the top girls than before. Most of the top boy players whos clubs that moved to ECNL will eventually move to a nearby MLS league club.

I think you discount the fact that across the country many strong former DA clubs moved into boys DA and really is playing LA Galaxy and LAFC twice the biggest draw in the southwest? Or is it that one road trip to SLC the draw. MLS only brought in the other non-MLS clubs to limit their travel expense. I do not doubt the the MLS teams are stronger but the rest of the non-MLS teams across America are on par with Boys ECNL. Coming into your last few years you are looking for exposure and I think Boys ECNL will have that in their showcases. I hope for a inter-league showcase at some point but we are governed by two differing bodies USClub and USYS.

I think you discount the fact that across the country many strong former DA clubs moved into boys DA and really is playing LA Galaxy and LAFC twice the biggest draw in the southwest? Or is it that one road trip to SLC the draw. MLS only brought in the other non-MLS clubs to limit their travel expense. I do not doubt the the MLS teams are stronger but the rest of the non-MLS teams across America are on par with Boys ECNL. Coming into your last few years you are looking for exposure and I think Boys ECNL will have that in their showcases. I hope for a inter-league showcase at some point but we are governed by two differing bodies USClub and USYS.
Inter-league showcase would be great but not gonna happen for reason you pointed out. I disagree that the non-mls clubs are on par with Boys ECNL. The bottom DA teams were on par with the top boy's ECNL teams last year. Now ECNL did pick-up some quality clubs like Crossfire. But I do believe the top Boy's ECNL players where possible will gravitate to an MLS League Club. The difference between the leagues is closer I will say on the boy's side than the girls side where ECNL now clearly has the best pathway for the girls if it wasn't already clear before.

But I do believe the top Boy's ECNL players where possible will gravitate to an MLS League Club

Yeah in areas with MLS teams. But what about the non MLS locations.. Is a player at Chula Vista going to drive to LA to play? I know players at some of these teams have been knocking on the ECNL door already. MLS' League is still undefined where ECNL is already working on schedules and showcases for 20/21. ECNL sends players to MLS Academies all the time so the pathway argument is thin. Again, there are a ton great players in both leagues. I just think ECNL wins this year. There is no proof bottom last year non-mls teams are better than the majority of ECNL as they never played because of DA rules.

Back