How is the MLS league different from DA?

Kooks can always share the ocean, but they can't share the soccer pitch. So your exclusivity idea doesn't work in surfing...but it does in soccer.
It all depends where you surf Messy. Many kooks at all the public beaches.....lol!!! Soccer kooks? No comment but any kook is dangerous, regardless of their sport of choice. I had a kook I played basketball against at Main Beach back in the 80s. Crazy Dom was his name I think. Body builder with long blond hair surfer "looking kook" and one crazy ass man who ruined games every week. A true kook in every sense of the word. Lets also understand the true meaning of the word kook in surfing Messy.

What is a kook in surfing?
A kook is a pre-beginner surfer, an aspiring wave rider, a nerd, or someone who tries - and fails - to mimic the surfing lifestyle. Kooks are careless, dangerous and can hurt true surfers, odd, exotic, and ridiculous. They disrespect the nobility of surfing.

I am a little unclear on the amount of travel for the elite academy teams. I understand there will be games between San Diego, OC and LA teams. But what about more nation wide travel? Does anyone know the details on that? Specifically for U15 and up.

I’m surely not the only parent trying to help their son decide between non-MLS and ECNL and time is running out. Seems a key difference is at the top - are you hoping to be noticed by an MLS club and go pro? Then play non-MLS, rock those 10-20% MLS Academy games, and get “mentioned” as a kid to watch. Are you hoping to play in college? Then do ECNL/NPL and get the showcases and organized infrastructure. I understand the travel and HS differences, because those are stated, but I’m trying to understand the unspoken side of it. Am I generally on point or way off? San Diego area. U16. Thank you. And yes, I do worry about him making the committment to non-MLS just to become a tackle dummy for MLS teams located far away and a minuscule shot at being noticed. Kinda leaning toward ECNL For the slightly higher chance at college (good student). I welcome any thoughts on 3rd options for post-HS play, like USL paths?
You're definitely not the only one. We're in a similar position. Getting information about whether and to what extent the MLS league will have showcases or similar events that college scouts attend would be useful. Although it's not the orientation of the league, D1 colleges are likely going to assume many of the best players are playing with the MLS academies and the vast majority of them are not actually going to get an offer to go pro. So, it's hard to imagine colleges would ignore the league as long as there are some centralized opportunities to scout. Then the question is whether non-MLS teams will have a chance to compete at those events.

Quick question, I have been hearing from parents from various clubs that the clubs will know what age groups they will have and be part of with this new MLS Elite league next week. Has anyone else heard something similar, or is it all speculations/rumors.

Quick question, I have been hearing from parents from various clubs that the clubs will know what age groups they will have and be part of with this new MLS Elite league next week. Has anyone else heard something similar, or is it all speculations/rumors.

No but sounds possible.

With the new agreement in place and tournament play in FL maybe MLS can have a season afterall? although losses have been estimated to over $1B even if they do. Least we can watch on ESPN or whatever.
https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020...rn-full-team-training-after-moratorium-lifted

It will be interesting to see if enough non/MLS clubs form U16 teams to have a viable U16 division.

I believe U16 is not an age group at the academy level at LAFC, RSL, or LAG, so I am not sure how a non MLS team gets 20 percent of their games against MLS teams unless they are flying a lot or playing against San Jose 9 times a year. If non MLS U16 doesn't play out of league it looks like a large burden for missing HS and not even getting MLS competiton. Maybe it needs to be viewed as an investment in the following year.

I believe U16 is not an age group at the academy level at LAFC, RSL, or LAG, so I am not sure how a non MLS team gets 20 percent of their games against MLS teams unless they are flying a lot or playing against San Jose 9 times a year. If non MLS U16 doesn't play out of league it looks like a large burden for missing HS and not even getting MLS competiton. Maybe it needs to be viewed as an investment in the following year.

There is another local league besides MLS-EYDP that teams can play in that's all calendar year besides the combo u18/19. NPLwest is offering u16 calendar year.

Back