How is the MLS league different from DA?

gkmom

SILVER
Will there be any major differences, or more of the same?

The first obvious difference is they left out half or more of young elite players in this country! The girls.

In MLS’s carefully crafted announcement letter, the author talked about including the entire soccer family... whoops...

But I get it. Economics are completely different.

Would be cool to see leaders in the women’s game take the reins of girls clubs...Mia, Abby, Carly, Megan, Tobin, Alex.

The first obvious difference is they left out half or more of young elite players in this country! The girls.

In MLS’s carefully crafted announcement letter, the author talked about including the entire soccer family... whoops...

Would be cool to see leaders in the women’s game take the reins of girls clubs...Mia, Abby, Carly, Megan, Tobin, Alex.
Brother Giesbock, this has always been my argument. The girls get left out bro. There just girls and boys come first. When LA Galaxy announced a Girls DA, fully funded girls program and equal treatment and all that cool stuff, I was sold and so happy. "Finally" I said. "The girls will be treated equally" I said to myself in my little brain. Fully funded too bro. Yes sir, that was 100% being sold in 2016 for the new 2017-2018 GDA league that I heard MLS was going to support with $$$$. So the first ones let go are the girls? Of course, what else is new. Just read about how my dd was treated when she was 12 bro. Foreign Docs lying numerous times through their teeth to her face!!!! Coaches screaming at little 11 and 12 year olds. This had to get shut down to fix all the wrongs. The cool thing brother, my dd still loves and wants to play soccer. She is enjoying surfing right now and is starting to rip some cool off the lips and tube rides :) Maybe a pro surfer instead? I could have gone pro but I was way into Jah back then and surfed for the peace brah and not with a dog leash and all those NSSA contests.

I would think the difference is as follows.

In theory the idea behind DA was to get/create a pipeline for the various national teams (adult/youth).
In theory to have a consistent training methodology so US Soccer could "plug and play" players from various areas into their teams.

MLS? MLS is concerned about creating a pipeline into the pro leagues.
I would think that the MLS academies are the important clubs in this new league as well.

We just had in DA the oldest age group split between basically the MLS clubs and the rest.
I would think that will happen in the MLS league at some point as well. If the MLS clubs were unhappy their youth had to play inferior opponents in DA, why would including those same clubs into a new MLS suddenly become better.

I personally think that as the MLS academies age and get better and more widespread, the MLS starts to get better. And as the MLS gets better, US Soccer has a better pool to pick from.

Brother Giesbock, this has always been my argument. The girls get left out bro. There just girls and boys come first. When LA Galaxy announced a Girls DA, fully funded girls program and equal treatment and all that cool stuff, I was sold and so happy. "Finally" I said. "The girls will be treated equally" I said to myself in my little brain. Fully funded too bro. Yes sir, that was 100% being sold in 2016 for the new 2017-2018 GDA league that I heard MLS was going to support with $$$$. So the first ones let go are the girls? Of course, what else is new. Just read about how my dd was treated when she was 12 bro. Foreign Docs lying numerous times through their teeth to her face!!!! Coaches screaming at little 11 and 12 year olds. This had to get shut down to fix all the wrongs. The cool thing brother, my dd still loves and wants to play soccer. She is enjoying surfing right now and is starting to rip some cool off the lips and tube rides :) Maybe a pro surfer instead? I could have gone pro but I was way into Jah back then and surfed for the peace brah and not with a dog leash and all those NSSA contests.

Yes, your daughter should become a pro surfer. That sounds like a much better idea than pro soccer player and, with a father who “could have gone pro” as a coach, she won’t have to worry about any more coaches with delusions of grandeur.

Yes, your daughter should become a pro surfer. That sounds like a much better idea than pro soccer player and, with a father who “could have gone pro” as a coach, she won’t have to worry about any more coaches with delusions of grandeur.
1589557694137.png

Being a pro surfer would be WAY better than being a pro soccer player. The work locations are better (a beach versus some pitch somewhere). You would almost never work at night. I doubt fans would ever make racists chants or throw things at the athletes. It would be fairly easy to make sure you never have to work when frozen water is falling from the sky.

If the MLS League teams in California ever use publicly funded facilities, an argument could be made they are in violation of AB2404 by not providing equal opportunities for girls.

Why didn't San Diego Surf join? Very surprised to see that.
They jumped ship early to ECNL. I suspect because of the importance of the girls sided and likely because they could exert more influence over the ECNL than the MLS league. Plus they probably didn't want to play second fiddle (on the boys side) to the better MLS clubs.

Way too early to tell. But my suspicion is that it will be just another league like DA was. I hope I'm wrong.

This, will need at least a full season to compare.

I don't think it will be just another league for the MLS units. For Non-MLS yes until they get some training solidarity payments. For MLS they need to have a better return in the investments. If they don't see it eventually it will go they way da did.

To be honest, I think this "MLS Elite" league is all a smokescreen, MLS league? I don't think so, I've heard it will have different categories, one for MLS clubs and then a separate category for those "elite" clubs. Why not have both regular club teams and MLS play against each other?

I'm starting a new "Elite Surfing Club." Basically, I teach you how to become an elite surfer. More news to come if @Dominic is ok with me sharing this new concept that also has beach soccer tied to it? I don;t want to break the rules like some do on here :)

Girls are not MLS responsibility,
Parents of girls should complain to NWSL and ask them to start a league and invest in the players they will ultimately profit from. They’ve done a great job at putting the cost on everyone else yet support equal pay. #equalinvestment

Girls are not MLS responsibility,
Parents of girls should complain to NWSL and ask them to start a league and invest in the players they will ultimately profit from. They’ve done a great job at putting the cost on everyone else yet support equal pay. #equalinvestment
I understand that MLS has no responsibility for the girl’s game, since this new version will be a pathway for boys to go pro.

But, MLS could benefit by continuing to build the broad, general interest in the game from a fan base perspective. Viewership. Team apparel sales. Moms who love the Seattle Sounders like moms love the Philadelphia Eagles or Boston Red Socks...

I don’t have stats to support this, but anecdotally, parents spend more on their daughters than on sons, irregardless of whether there’s a pathway to becoming a well paid pro or not.

It may not be a completely fair comparison, but many of the major men’s teams abroad also help support a girls /women’s counterpart. I guess Galaxy was tinkering with that but no one has figured out a business model that works.

I agree, time for leaders of the women’s game and NWSL to step up and support girl’s youth soccer either financially or through active leadership on team and league boards. Would be awesome to see.

I understand that MLS has no responsibility for the girl’s game, since this new version will be a pathway for boys to go pro.

But, MLS could benefit by continuing to build the broad, general interest in the game from a fan base perspective. Viewership. Team apparel sales. Moms who love the Seattle Sounders like moms love the Philadelphia Eagles or Boston Red Socks...

I don’t have stats to support this, but anecdotally, parents spend more on their daughters than on sons, irregardless of whether there’s a pathway to becoming a well paid pro or not.

It may not be a completely fair comparison, but many of the major men’s teams abroad also help support a girls /women’s counterpart. I guess Galaxy was tinkering with that but no one has figured out a business model that works.

I agree, time for leaders of the women’s game and NWSL to step up and support girl’s youth soccer either financially or through active leadership on team and league boards. Would be awesome to see.
The problem is, as you said, the benefits to the club are only there anecdotally. Eagles and Red Soxs are not investing in women' football league or softball.

I believe a professional league needs to stand on its own. It's an entertainment. We all make fun of greedy people making money from soccer on this website. But that also means if there is money to be made in soccer, someone will put together a business plan to do it. If not, the ROI is not there.

Lastly, the problem with a subsidized league is that the payroll will always be limited, and its survival will always be on shaky ground. Spanish Primera Division's women had a strike last year just to ask for a meager €20K per year.

Here is the reasons that the NWSL will not sponsor a league for the girls like the MLS for the boys.
1. None of them make a profit.
2. ENCL/clubs do all the development and then Title 9 takes care of development in college, why spend money when most of the work is already done. Just stand back and offer the dreamers a pittance to keep playing.
3. The success of the USWNT will eventually draw enough people that they make a profit without investing more than they have to.

Here is the reasons that the NWSL will not sponsor a league for the girls like the MLS for the boys.
1. None of them make a profit.
2. ENCL/clubs do all the development and then Title 9 takes care of development in college, why spend money when most of the work is already done. Just stand back and offer the dreamers a pittance to keep playing.
3. The success of the USWNT will eventually draw enough people that they make a profit without investing more than they have to.
This explanation makes sense. Thanks.

Back