GA Showcases

Full disclosure, my DD is a YNT pool kid. I'm not going to mention club/state/DOC, etc. No need to unjustly scrutinize relationships, scenarios, unproven biases, etc.

The process is always under scrutiny and has likely been abused by clubs. In my experience, the scouts and the staff coaches have seemed objective, and they do their research. You are correct that the coaches/DOCs are the decision makers in the context of who they recommend from their own teams. It doesn't mean that's who actually attends an ID center. Scouts will observe everyone on the pitch, not just the recommended kid. Do some DOCs have more pull than others? sure, especially if they have a track record of grooming YNT kids. Kinda of like Calipari at University of Kentucky. If he calls an NBA team to come out and scout, they come. He has a proven track record of identifying talent and having them succeed at the next level. Same thing goes for the YNT staff/scouts and relationships with clubs/DOCs.

The savy scouts know where to look and they don't just rely on clubs/coaches. Their end state is higher stakes than a college scout/coach. College coaches can get fat and lazy, show up to a ________(fill in the blank for the letter league) showcase, and recruit a year group. The pipeline for the USWNT is higher stakes, and they tend to take it more seriously.

For now, the YNT staff has done a great job of keeping in touch with the kids and keeping a finger on their pulse. The clubs are not involved, there is a direct line to the kids and that's the way the staff likes to operate. I sat in on one this week (in the background, in another room where I was banished to by my DD). I can't overemphasize enough how much they emphasize that this is a process, it's hard, and it's not for everyone, even if you think it's for you. What I really like about what they do is the complete removal of the parents from the process. I didn't receive an email telling me about this meeting. I didn't even know about it until the day before. The regional camp (@Chula Vista) is run like this as well. Parents are generally not allowed to attend any sessions. The only sessions that are open to the public is the last session, and that's from a distance. Zero interaction with your child as they step off of the field. If your daughter flies in, they pick her up at the airport and transport her. You put them on the plane on your end. If you drive, it's drop off at the front, a kiss and a wave.

YNT is not for everyone, for the very few in fact. Will my DD make it through the pipeline? who knows. She may change her mind when the YNT thing really begins to intrude on her social life, because it will. Will she ever get called up to a team? Who knows. YNT staff is brutally honest in their feedback, especially after camps. NO feedback is offered after ID centers, only camps. You have to be in for the long haul and have to do well with rejection and feedback that describes your weaknesses. Negative feedback can be a challenge for high level athletes, some do well, some don't. It is a long term grind. Next step for my DD is to be called to a national camp (if selected), she's made the regional camp. Long term, the next big step is being age eligible for the U17 world cup in 2022. That is a lot to consider for someone so young.

If she decides it's not for her, fine. If she's not good enough to be called to a team, fine. She loves to play futbol but she's a damn good b-ball player and mountain biker. I'd honestly be most happiest if she quit everything and raced mountain bikes for her HS team. It would allow me to justify all the hours I spend on my bike to my wife. But that's just me being selfish.

Lastly, and this if for anyone that read this, if you think your kid has what it takes, send the YNT staff an email. They'll read it and likely reply. They are always on the lookout for talent. Be prepared to have an honest conversation about your kid, style of play, futbol IQ, and their current environment.

Now back to work - this was my early lunch break!!
Are you saying you wrote the YNT staff regarding your DD? That is something new. I've never heard of anyone doing that.... typically a red flag when a parent reaches out...particularly at that level.

Are you saying you wrote the YNT staff regarding your DD? That is something new. I've never heard of anyone doing that.... typically a red flag when a parent reaches out...particularly at that level.
Ha, no, not even close. I'm just saying they have an email on their website that you can send to, if you want. I also say that tongue in cheek because parents (myself included) seem to think our kid has what it takes. Everyone is guilty. I think my daughter is a better basketball player than what she really is, but that's because I coached her for many years. I have zero background in soccer coaching.

You are spot on about the red flag. They really don't want to hear from parents about their own kids.

Full disclosure, my DD is a YNT pool kid. I'm not going to mention club/state/DOC, etc. No need to unjustly scrutinize relationships, scenarios, unproven biases, etc.

The process is always under scrutiny and has likely been abused by clubs. In my experience, the scouts and the staff coaches have seemed objective, and they do their research. You are correct that the coaches/DOCs are the decision makers in the context of who they recommend from their own teams. It doesn't mean that's who actually attends an ID center. Scouts will observe everyone on the pitch, not just the recommended kid. Do some DOCs have more pull than others? sure, especially if they have a track record of grooming YNT kids. Kinda of like Calipari at University of Kentucky. If he calls an NBA team to come out and scout, they come. He has a proven track record of identifying talent and having them succeed at the next level. Same thing goes for the YNT staff/scouts and relationships with clubs/DOCs.

The savy scouts know where to look and they don't just rely on clubs/coaches. Their end state is higher stakes than a college scout/coach. College coaches can get fat and lazy, show up to a ________(fill in the blank for the letter league) showcase, and recruit a year group. The pipeline for the USWNT is higher stakes, and they tend to take it more seriously.

For now, the YNT staff has done a great job of keeping in touch with the kids and keeping a finger on their pulse. The clubs are not involved, there is a direct line to the kids and that's the way the staff likes to operate. I sat in on one this week (in the background, in another room where I was banished to by my DD). I can't overemphasize enough how much they emphasize that this is a process, it's hard, and it's not for everyone, even if you think it's for you. What I really like about what they do is the complete removal of the parents from the process. I didn't receive an email telling me about this meeting. I didn't even know about it until the day before. The regional camp (@Chula Vista) is run like this as well. Parents are generally not allowed to attend any sessions. The only sessions that are open to the public is the last session, and that's from a distance. Zero interaction with your child as they step off of the field. If your daughter flies in, they pick her up at the airport and transport her. You put them on the plane on your end. If you drive, it's drop off at the front, a kiss and a wave.

YNT is not for everyone, for the very few in fact. Will my DD make it through the pipeline? who knows. She may change her mind when the YNT thing really begins to intrude on her social life, because it will. Will she ever get called up to a team? Who knows. YNT staff is brutally honest in their feedback, especially after camps. NO feedback is offered after ID centers, only camps. You have to be in for the long haul and have to do well with rejection and feedback that describes your weaknesses. Negative feedback can be a challenge for high level athletes, some do well, some don't. It is a long term grind. Next step for my DD is to be called to a national camp (if selected), she's made the regional camp. Long term, the next big step is being age eligible for the U17 world cup in 2022. That is a lot to consider for someone so young.

If she decides it's not for her, fine. If she's not good enough to be called to a team, fine. She loves to play futbol but she's a damn good b-ball player and mountain biker. I'd honestly be most happiest if she quit everything and raced mountain bikes for her HS team. It would allow me to justify all the hours I spend on my bike to my wife. But that's just me being selfish.

Lastly, and this if for anyone that read this, if you think your kid has what it takes, send the YNT staff an email. They'll read it and likely reply. They are always on the lookout for talent. Be prepared to have an honest conversation about your kid, style of play, futbol IQ, and their current environment.

Now back to work - this was my early lunch break!!
Thank you so much for this. I have no reason to doubt you based on how you write. I super appreciate it and I mean that. Were you around in 2016 sir during the Wild West Recruiting Derby in SoCal?

I almost said that. I was told if you ever do that kiss that dream goodbye. My dd got direct feedback from the Doc and her coach and that was it. Doc was head TC Director as well. No need to go there with you Happy. PM me and I'll fill you in on the back drop :)

Thank you so much for this. I have no reason to doubt you based on how you write. I super appreciate it and I mean that. Were you around in 2016 sir during the Wild West Recruiting Derby in SoCal?
No sir, my family and I were on the opposite coast back then, about to make our way back west of the Mississippi.

Are YNT camps actually going to occur?
I took Happy's advise and I just emailed all the coaches from before and now and just asked why my goat was bypassed in 2017 and I also asked what the heck she can do to make up lost time and maybe make a future list. I hear U17 and U20 only so she has some time. @happy9, was I a fool to believe the Doc that their would actually be a U14 National team back in 2017 that actually would play against the likes of Spain and Brazil? I understand things a lot better today and I appreciate all the help.

Are YNT camps actually going to occur?
From what I understand, there will be an attempt to hold ID centers in 2020. They will schedule true YNT camps for 2021. Obviously everything is in a state of flux. 2020 was the first year their was a true YNT program for U14 girls. The 06s will be age eligible for the 2022 U17 world cup. I will be the first to admit I get somewhat confused by how they bracket the ages and how the progression within the pipeline occurs.

I believe U17 WC in 2022 will be 2005s. So 2006s would have to beat out 05s (which is possible I’m sure. 2026 U20 WC, 06s will be the older age group.

GA announced the hiring of long time Huskies head coach Lesle Gallimore as commissioner today. Seems like a solid hire. I can't help but be hopeful for the success of this league.

Good on them. Appears to be a smart pick, an icon in the PAC 12. Can only assume she is well respected across the woman's soccer landscape. Slow and steady, we will see where this goes.

OC surf/WC certainly struggled, Pats on the other hand hung tough, always competitive. They played very well building out of the back, just always had trouble finishing. They always stayed true to their style. Coaches love that. Finishing can be worked on. Always interesting to look at individual team goal differential. Records don't always tell the whole story - The Pats are a solid club and would do well in either ECNL or the GA. If their top team played in ECRL, I don't think they would have much of a problem. I would put them towards the top. They held their own across the age groups against the top socal teams in the DA who are now in ECNL. We will see which way they truly lean. I don't have any insider information on any team but I would guess they want to play the best competition available, for the sake of their players that are in the recruiting cycle. What happens after a year to two is anyone's guess.

The idea that the GA is a second rate league filled with also rans is pretty silly. Until a comprehensive/consolidated approach can be figured out for youth soccer, there is room for two leagues who claim to be the best at what they do. We will leave it up to the parents to argue or advocate for their league. Both leagues are happy to take our money and college coaches will continue to recruit (we hope).

It would be nice for the leagues to meet on the pitch every once in a while to add fuel to the fire.
Gee interesting OC surf and Pats tied the last two times they played.
OC surf/WC certainly struggled, Pats on the other hand hung tough, always competitive. They played very well building out of the back, just always had trouble finishing. They always stayed true to their style. Coaches love that. Finishing can be worked on. Always interesting to look at individual team goal differential. Records don't always tell the whole story - The Pats are a solid club and would do well in either ECNL or the GA. If their top team played in ECRL, I don't think they would have much of a problem. I would put them towards the top. They held their own across the age groups against the top socal teams in the DA who are now in ECNL. We will see which way they truly lean. I don't have any insider information on any team but I would guess they want to play the best competition available, for the sake of their players that are in the recruiting cycle. What happens after a year to two is anyone's guess.

The idea that the GA is a second rate league filled with also rans is pretty silly. Until a comprehensive/consolidated approach can be figured out for youth soccer, there is room for two leagues who claim to be the best at what they do. We will leave it up to the parents to argue or advocate for their league. Both leagues are happy to take our money and college coaches will continue to recruit (we hope).

It would be nice for the leagues to meet on the pitch every once in a while to add fuel to the fire.
I don't know what age group you are in, but in our age group OC Surf/WCFC had one win and one tie with Pats. How many national championships have the Pats Girls had? OC Surf/WC FC have had in 24 years of competition 5 Girls national championships, 10+ Regional Championships, 25 National Players and 500+ athletic scholarships. The girls Pats are an emerging league and improving every year but have not had the success of WCFC. Sounds like you are a disgruntled parent of a player who was not picked for OCSurf/WCFC DA teams last year or the year before and have left to join Pats. Good luck to your player on which every college she decides to play for, which is what this journey is a major part of.

I don't know what age group you are in, but in our age group OC Surf/WCFC had one win and one tie with Pats. How many national championships have the Pats Girls had? OC Surf/WC FC have had in 24 years of competition 5 Girls national championships, 10+ Regional Championships, 25 National Players and 500+ athletic scholarships. The girls Pats are an emerging league and improving every year but have not had the success of WCFC. Sounds like you are a disgruntled parent of a player who was not picked for OCSurf/WCFC DA teams last year or the year before and have left to join Pats. Good luck to your player on which every college she decides to play for, which is what this journey is a major part of.
Sorry if you are offended by last years standings in the GDA. I don't buy into standings, but apparently you do. If you look at last year, the Pats, across ALL age groups, were a solid team, OC Surf was inconsistent (in the standings). Do they have great history? Hell, I don't know, I guess I do now, awesome and congrats. I hope they continue to rebuild. Pats on paper was a middle of the pack GDA team, OC Surf towards the bottom. By the way, we could argue the details until the cows come home. I wish both clubs well in the development of their playes.

Look at their records across the board - consistency matter, if you are keeping track. Generally speaking, any team can beat another team on any given day.

OC Surf GD: -47
Pat GD: +5

Sorry if you are offended by last years standings in the GDA. I don't buy into standings, but apparently you do. If you look at last year, the Pats, across ALL age groups, were a solid team, OC Surf was inconsistent (in the standings). Do they have great history? Hell, I don't know, I guess I do now, awesome and congrats. I hope they continue to rebuild. Pats on paper was a middle of the pack GDA team, OC Surf towards the bottom. By the way, we could argue the details until the cows come home. I wish both clubs well in the development of their playes.

Look at their records across the board - consistency matter, if you are keeping track. Generally speaking, any team can beat another team on any given day.

OC Surf GD: -47
Pat GD: +5
Pats were the better club based on my observation. Nice stats to back it up too. That's important.

Easy big guy, I don't even live in CA but have played both teams over the last few years. Great history lesson though. I had no idea and congrats to them. It's good to see them go back to their roots and not depend on Surf for marketing. Hometown brand is much cooler.

Enough with the personal attacks and talk girls futbol, much more fun that way as opposed to jumping in someone's ass.

Pats were the better club based on my observation. Nice stats to back it up too. That's important.

They are a solid club, would be proud if my daughter played for them - possession, skilled back line, disciplined, can't beat that. That's hard to coach and hard to sell to parents. You will lose games, especially at the younger ages by playing out of the back. You have to commit and have patience - not a common trait for soccer parents.

Back