GA Showcases

Easy big guy, I don't even live in CA but have played both teams over the last few years. Great history lesson though. I had no idea and congrats to them. It's good to see them go back to their roots and not depend on Surf for marketing. Hometown brand is much cooler.

Enough with the personal attacks and talk girls futbol, much more fun that way as opposed to jumping in someone's ass.
Socal has crazy jealous and rich parents who are very pissed right now because they can't pay to play anymore in the top league and brag on Facebook that their kid is all that and on a GDA team. They usually get what they want and if they can't have what they want, they will make sure to ruin it for you.

Socal has crazy jealous and rich parents who are very pissed right now because they can't pay to play anymore in the top league and brag on Facebook that their kid is all that and on a GDA team. They usually get what they want and if they can't have what they want, they will make sure to ruin it for you.
Ha, that may be the case. I try to not buy into the hype, but it's hard. Find a club/coach that is good for your DD, be realistic in what they can accomplish, and let them play. Letter leagues are happy to have the pot stirred to take your money, especially the money from those that have unrealistic goals. Just the way it goes. Both leagues will do just fine. And if they don't, one league will remain standing and that's when we may truly have an elite league. Until then, the fireworks will happen.

Ha, that may be the case. I try to not buy into the hype, but it's hard. Find a club/coach that is good for your DD, be realistic in what they can accomplish, and let them play. Letter leagues are happy to have the pot stirred to take your money, especially the money from those that have unrealistic goals. Just the way it goes. Both leagues will do just fine. And if they don't, one league will remain standing and that's when we may truly have an elite league. Until then, the fireworks will happen.
Well, dd will be signing her NLI in November barring covid interrupting. Won't matter after that. Good luck to all the great WCFC players and to any other deserving players on being recruited!

Mid-Atlantic GA might contend nationally if, as keeps being said on this board, DA/GA players from other regions are moving to ECNL teams. That’s not happening in much of the Mid-Atlantic. That’s truly my only point.

This statement is fact for the Mid-Atlantic. NoVA ECNL clubs are generally quite week within the conference. Essentially, EACH club has ONE really good team and the rest are bottom dwellers. VDA is probably the strongest at the youngest age groups but as teams at McLean and BRYC age out they are shells of themselves due to dilution. The Carolina's are mediocre as well outside of the before mentioned new additions.
Or, if the GDA made smarter biz decisions and open to listening to others in 2016, they would have made hs soccer a part of their philosophy. Nope, they tried to destroy a tradition and they got nailed for it imo. Took to much power and when folks get power, they get drunk with power.
"A tradition?"

Seriously? A decade is a "tradition" now? When did ECNL become Augusta National or Thanksgiving?

This statement is fact for the Mid-Atlantic. NoVA ECNL clubs are generally quite week within the conference. Essentially, EACH club has ONE really good team and the rest are bottom dwellers. VDA is probably the strongest at the youngest age groups but as teams at McLean and BRYC age out they are shells of themselves due to dilution. The Carolina's are mediocre as well outside of the before mentioned new additions.

"A tradition?"

Seriously? A decade is a "tradition" now? When did ECNL become Augusta National or Thanksgiving?

You really don't think girls HS soccer was a tradition?

"A tradition?"

The tradition of playing High School Sports Mullet. Did you play any sports in High School? It looks like my dd never really got a chance to play in the GDA or the ECNL. OH well :) High School soccer has been the brightest spot for her and I think is a great way to play with your local friends and it's free.

You really don't think girls HS soccer was a tradition?
I think Mullet was thinking I was referring to the ECNL like Augusta National or the Rose Bowl. No, just the the freedom to choose to play travel ball and hs ball and not be told pick one or the other while all the rich kids at private schools got to do both. I love private schools and rich people. This shouldnt have been about either or for soccer for pete sakes. Now, you cant go to charter school or home school. This is insane!!!!

The tradition of playing High School Sports Mullet. Did you play any sports in High School? It looks like my dd never really got a chance to play in the GDA or the ECNL. OH well :) High School soccer has been the brightest spot for her and I think is a great way to play with your local friends and it's free.

Is High School soccer really free if you are paying for 10 months of ECNL when you are only getting 6 months?

Here is what my take on ECNL and High School soccer is. Before DA ECNL coaches determined or granted permission for kids to play HS soccer. THis was based on the player and the value of the player to the team etc because the ECNL season was still 10 months long. Most ECNL coaches frowned upon their players playing in HS and actively discouraged it when they could.

Then when DA announced GDA and the same HS restrictions as the boys side ECNL saw an opportunity to distinguish themselves as the HS friendly league. They went as far as adjusting their schedules to allow for HS soccer. This has the effect of taking a 10 month training and league season of "elite" soccer and trimming it down to 6 months. So parents pay full ECNL price for a 1/3 less training with the best players to play free school soccer.

So now ECNL has painted themselves into a corner with their exuberant support of a non-league activity, coached by inferior coaches, played in an inferior style. And because the ECNL season is a dead period during HS if a kid wants to play soccer they have almost no choice but to play HS soccer now. And this equates to two very compressed seasons in a 10 month span.

GA will allow HS soccer but up front have already stated, within our club, that it will be case by case basis the way ECNL USED to be. A GA season will not be overloaded with games in a compressed fashion to get the same number of games in 6 months when they can done in 10 months.

Is High School soccer really free if you are paying for 10 months of ECNL when you are only getting 6 months?

Here is what my take on ECNL and High School soccer is. Before DA ECNL coaches determined or granted permission for kids to play HS soccer. THis was based on the player and the value of the player to the team etc because the ECNL season was still 10 months long. Most ECNL coaches frowned upon their players playing in HS and actively discouraged it when they could.

Then when DA announced GDA and the same HS restrictions as the boys side ECNL saw an opportunity to distinguish themselves as the HS friendly league. They went as far as adjusting their schedules to allow for HS soccer. This has the effect of taking a 10 month training and league season of "elite" soccer and trimming it down to 6 months. So parents pay full ECNL price for a 1/3 less training with the best players to play free school soccer.

So now ECNL has painted themselves into a corner with their exuberant support of a non-league activity, coached by inferior coaches, played in an inferior style. And because the ECNL season is a dead period during HS if a kid wants to play soccer they have almost no choice but to play HS soccer now. And this equates to two very compressed seasons in a 10 month span.

GA will allow HS soccer but up front have already stated, within our club, that it will be case by case basis the way ECNL USED to be. A GA season will not be overloaded with games in a compressed fashion to get the same number of games in 6 months when they can done in 10 months.
I have much to say about this but I have to leave. High School Soccer in Socal was attacked by most top Docs here. before the GDA In other parts of the country high school sports and soccer rule the community. I'll share more later. Great takes btw and I agree with most of them. HS Soccer in socal was under attack but not no more :)

The GDA had already decided they were going to pivot to this for this upcoming season, then the DA imploded. The decision to allow (more frequenlty) players to play HS was to minimize girls jumping ship to ECNL for their HS years AFTER they had signed. Makes sense to me, it's a recruiting thing.

HS soccer is a touchy, emotional, and personal thing for the girls. You will get different opinions if you poll them. Just the way it is.

From a pure soccer perspective (and my opinion), HS is not a good place to be for an elite player. The competition is not consistent, and the risk for injury increases. I know there is a risk of injury every time you take to the pitch, but HS soccer to me presents a more dangerous game. If may differ from state to state, county to county, city to city, but I've seen enough HS soccer to have formed an opinon (and that's all it is, an opinion).

I also think that a break is a good thing. Going from high level club to HS season is a grind. A more natural break in the winter is beneficial to your body and only makes sense. But try making sense to a teenager doesn't always work. My oldest has played high level club into HS over the last 3 yrs, each year resulted in injuries during the HS season. The schools that he's interested and that have shown interest have cautioned against playing club into HS for his senior year. Will he listen, who knows, maybe he'll listen to a prospective college coach.

My youngest is about to enter HS and is on the fence to play HS. Her coaches will encourage her to NOT play. I think she'll listen but the pull of playing with friends or against club team mates that go to another school is very STRONG. I will encourage her to not play - purely from a physiological perspective. I will not ban her from playing HS- who knows, she may decide club is dumb and will move on to other things.

The GDA had already decided they were going to pivot to this for this upcoming season, then the DA imploded. The decision to allow (more frequenlty) players to play HS was to minimize girls jumping ship to ECNL for their HS years AFTER they had signed. Makes sense to me, it's a recruiting thing.

HS soccer is a touchy, emotional, and personal thing for the girls. You will get different opinions if you poll them. Just the way it is.

From a pure soccer perspective (and my opinion), HS is not a good place to be for an elite player. The competition is not consistent, and the risk for injury increases. I know there is a risk of injury every time you take to the pitch, but HS soccer to me presents a more dangerous game. If may differ from state to state, county to county, city to city, but I've seen enough HS soccer to have formed an opinon (and that's all it is, an opinion).

I also think that a break is a good thing. Going from high level club to HS season is a grind. A more natural break in the winter is beneficial to your body and only makes sense. But try making sense to a teenager doesn't always work. My oldest has played high level club into HS over the last 3 yrs, each year resulted in injuries during the HS season. The schools that he's interested and that have shown interest have cautioned against playing club into HS for his senior year. Will he listen, who knows, maybe he'll listen to a prospective college coach.

My youngest is about to enter HS and is on the fence to play HS. Her coaches will encourage her to NOT play. I think she'll listen but the pull of playing with friends or against club team mates that go to another school is very STRONG. I will encourage her to not play - purely from a physiological perspective. I will not ban her from playing HS- who knows, she may decide club is dumb and will move on to other things.
So wrong you are Happy. The GDA Docs told me the same BS every year. They were just lying again, trust me. They gone too so forget about them. Did you play any HS Sports Happy?

So wrong you are Happy. The GDA Docs told me the same BS every year. They were just lying again, trust me. They gone too so forget about them. Did you play any HS Sports Happy?
I sure did. No way I could have afforded to play "elite" level club sports. I was a 3 sport HS athlete, then played D1 baseball. I was a rather average player, played a few innings here and there. Just happy to be on the team and go to cool parties. The girls really liked it!

We will have agree to disagree. I think there is large gap between HS soccer and elite club soccer. My argument has nothing to do with GDA VS ECNL. The HS thing was used effectively by ECNL to get girls to come over when they went to HS. Early on, ECNL highly discouraged HS play. Once they switched their tune, very effective in getting girls to come their way - and I don't hate them for it.

On the flipside, many talented girls, influenced by college coaches and well intending club coaches, did not play HS. It's my opinion that if your player is in the 1%, then HS is the last place you want them to play. I think you need an off season, it's how you grow physiologically. Of course, not everyone has national team aspirations or power 5 D1 aspirations. And there are plenty of quality players who will play HS and club and still play in college. Do what you and your player feel is right. If HS is kickass, the play on the pitch is good, have at it. It sure is fun. My son loves it and will likely play again this year for his senior year, in spite of what his college coaches are telling him. My DD, we will see. It will be up to her. HS play where I live is marginal at best, with only a few schools that are good - and that's been traditionally because the ECNL girls are located in close proximity zip codes to each other (imagine that).

I get it, HS sports are fun, school spirit, parties, etc. Been there, done that, all I knew. Who knows, if my parents had the money to throw down club ball and private instruction, maybe i could have been Derek Jeter before Derek Jeter. That would have been cool.

I sure did. No way I could have afforded to play "elite" level club sports. I was a 3 sport HS athlete, then played D1 baseball. I was a rather average player, played a few innings here and there. Just happy to be on the team and go to cool parties. The girls really liked it!

We will have agree to disagree. I think there is large gap between HS soccer and elite club soccer. My argument has nothing to do with GDA VS ECNL. The HS thing was used effectively by ECNL to get girls to come over when they went to HS. Early on, ECNL highly discouraged HS play. Once they switched their tune, very effective in getting girls to come their way - and I don't hate them for it.

On the flipside, many talented girls, influenced by college coaches and well intending club coaches, did not play HS. It's my opinion that if your player is in the 1%, then HS is the last place you want them to play. I think you need an off season, it's how you grow physiologically. Of course, not everyone has national team aspirations or power 5 D1 aspirations. And there are plenty of quality players who will play HS and club and still play in college. Do what you and your player feel is right. If HS is kickass, the play on the pitch is good, have at it. It sure is fun. My son loves it and will likely play again this year for his senior year, in spite of what his college coaches are telling him. My DD, we will see. It will be up to her. HS play where I live is marginal at best, with only a few schools that are good - and that's been traditionally because the ECNL girls are located in close proximity zip codes to each other (imagine that).

I get it, HS sports are fun, school spirit, parties, etc. Been there, done that, all I knew. Who knows, if my parents had the money to throw down club ball and private instruction, maybe i could have been Derek Jeter before Derek Jeter. That would have been cool.
Cool. I played all sports too. Sophia Smith ring a bell? Mallory Pugh? So many of the best of best lead their HS teams to state championship. My dd team is good and plays possession and I think will be really good this year and next. All girls are different too. HS soccer rocks!!!

Cool. I played all sports too. Sophia Smith ring a bell? Mallory Pugh? So many of the best of best lead their HS teams to state championship. My dd team is good and plays possession and I think will be really good this year and next. All girls are different too. HS soccer rocks!!!

We can go back and forth all you want in regards to HS. There are many who didn't play HS soccer (Julie Ertz, Megan Rapinoe, to name a few, and there are more). YOUR CHOICE and YOUR OPINION. Where I live, HS soccer is not very good. Sure it's fun, but it's bad play. I prefer my DD to rest her body or play another fall sport. Year round single sport kids tend to burnout, get injured, not have fun, etc. Usually parent driven. Let them rest, have fun doing other things, have easy, fun practices. I've coached youth baseball when my son used to play, brutal. Talk about a sport with early injuries. Year round single sport kids don't fare well when they get into their mid teens. Some do, a lot don't.

But anyway, if HS is cool for you, then cool. Enjoy the weekend!!

We can go back and forth all you want in regards to HS. There are many who didn't play HS soccer (Julie Ertz, Megan Rapinoe, to name a few, and there are more). YOUR CHOICE and YOUR OPINION. Where I live, HS soccer is not very good. Sure it's fun, but it's bad play. I prefer my DD to rest her body or play another fall sport. Year round single sport kids tend to burnout, get injured, not have fun, etc. Usually parent driven. Let them rest, have fun doing other things, have easy, fun practices. I've coached youth baseball when my son used to play, brutal. Talk about a sport with early injuries. Year round single sport kids don't fare well when they get into their mid teens. Some do, a lot don't.

But anyway, if HS is cool for you, then cool. Enjoy the weekend!!
Are you playing too...lol? I right like that two :) I support whatever my dd wants to do. I'm only there to help her when she falls or cry with her when she cries and laugh when she laughs or jump in my arms after winning the natty when she was 13 :) She spent 18 months of her early prime teen years chasing a national Championship and tasted sweet victory. HS Soccer is super fun for her and she has a goal to bring her school their first CIF girls soccer championship. She loves trophies and medals and only keeps first place. She picked HS Soccer over the GDA. The play in OC was spotty at best because many top females were told by their Docs, Coaches and even their dads and some moms that HS Soccer was bad and even dangerous and basically too much soccer and the soccer was horribly played. I think if soocer is played in HS this coming season you will have a huge turnout and better play.

I’m not sure the HS level of play will improve across the board with a possible influx of former DA players... Coaches are still who they were last season. Compressed season will compel same long ball type strategy. Inconsistent skills from player to player will still lead to crash and bang tacked that are missed or ignored by refs.

I admit being totally down on HS due to what I watched from our coach for two seasons of varsity for my 04.

I’m not sure the HS level of play will improve across the board with a possible influx of former DA players... Coaches are still who they were last season. Compressed season will compel same long ball type strategy. Inconsistent skills from player to player will still lead to crash and bang tacked that are missed or ignored by refs.

I admit being totally down on HS due to what I watched from our coach for two seasons of varsity for my 04.
I'm 100% sure High School Soccer level verys based on leagues. I'm sure HS Soccer appreciates you and Happy's kind ringing endorsement....lol

I'm 100% sure High School Soccer level verys based on leagues. I'm sure HS Soccer appreciates you and Happy's kind ringing endorsement....lol
Yeah our leauge is rife with burley enforcers who couldn’t pass a clean ball, don’t know what to do off the ball, can’t collect without the ball bouncing 6’ away, etc, etc.

More power to the top girls. Sorry but for us, club is a different level.

Yeah our leauge is rife with burley enforcers who couldn’t pass a clean ball, don’t know what to do off the ball, can’t collect without the ball bouncing 6’ away, etc, etc.

More power to the top girls. Sorry but for us, club is a different level.
I wouldnt compare level of play between HS and club. It's a social, fun and cool thing to do. Then you go out and try and beat a rival. Not about tier 1 or flight two or Elite or Premier. It's just fun and that's all that matters to my little baby girl and a medal at the end like a CIF Championship :)

High school sports are meant for kids who want to participate in athletics and represent their schools. If you find the level and the style of play below your typical club standard, keep in mind that many of those kids' parents did not pay $2,500+/yr for 8 years like many of us on this forum.

Back