ECNL Playoffs

I have a crush on ignore, so I have no idea what he saying. I'm not here to debate anything, I'm just telling you what I was told. Seems like this is a hot button issue for several of you!
Oh man, I thought you said you had "a crush on Crush." No debating, just point out that SF2 has eye witness and personal experience. I know I should just let Nocal handle this but I'm bored today :)

Last edited:
By not live streaming you encourage college coaches to watch the games live. That would be incentive not to stream them.
I get what you are saying.

Live streaming is getting positive feedback from many coaches in oceanside. Staff not present live can watch as well. Can watch multiple players at a time. The concept is somewhat new, it's easy, and its convenient. A pandemic adaptation that favors the player. Much more exposure. There are hundreds of schools that didn't show up that are able to watch. I certainly think it's something they will continue and ECNL should adopt for their players. Win win for all involved.

Live streaming is getting positive feedback from many coaches in oceanside. Staff not present live can watch as well. Can watch multiple players at a time. The concept is somewhat new, it's easy, and its convenient. A pandemic adaptation that favors the player. Much more exposure. There are hundreds of schools that didn't show up that are able to watch. I certainly think it's something they will continue and ECNL should adopt for their players. Win win for all involved.
How about this one for college coaches, why is the same age group playing ALL their games at one time slot for the GA event? It may be the single most annoying thing for a college coach and hurts our kids In the end. It seems like ECNL nationals things are spread out a decent amount

How about this one for college coaches, why is the same age group playing ALL their games at one time slot for the GA event? It may be the single most annoying thing for a college coach and hurts our kids In the end. It seems like ECNL nationals things are spread out a decent amount
Can certainly be frustrating, especially if the player(s) you want to see aren't playing on adjacent fields. We will see if that feedback was provided. Some coaches stay for the whole game, others divide up their time by halves. Having all of the games in one time slot can be more efficient for some coaches.

I do not see good value in evaluating a prospect on film versus seeing them in person. Video is better than not watching at all, but I do not think many coaches recruit straight off video.

I do not see good value in evaluating a prospect on film versus seeing them in person. Video is better than not watching at all, but I do not think many coaches recruit straight off video.
Many coaches disagree with your view. Video is a valuable tool used by most schools and coaches. It's not better than watching in person, it never will be. Recorded video is often manipulated. Live stream is a different animal and is being seen as useful.

Besides, recruiting is a process. For many, it starts with a video, leads to a showcase, then ends with in person school camps. There are hundreds of coaches, thousands of players, and hours of videos. Many players get recruited off of a video and a campus visit. Likely not going to happen this way in the world of Stanford, UCLA, etc but most schools aren't them.

Many coaches disagree with your view. Video is a valuable tool used by most schools and coaches. It's not better than watching in person, it never will be. Recorded video is often manipulated. Live stream is a different animal and is being seen as useful.

Besides, recruiting is a process. For many, it starts with a video, leads to a showcase, then ends with in person school camps. There are hundreds of coaches, thousands of players, and hours of videos. Many players get recruited off of a video and a campus visit. Likely not going to happen this way in the world of Stanford, UCLA, etc but most schools aren't them.

Videos are a good screening tool, but since they admittedly show the player at his best they only set an upper limit on how good a player is. Factor in other things a coach has to consider, like available money or returning players (and conversely, field spots that need filling). Another dimension is what the player/parents are looking for -- help with admission, the likelihood of a playing roster spot, scholarship money?

The GA live streams are pretty good actually. No sign of streaming from ECNL FL. Embarassing for ECNL.
Wow, I was just looking into this, since I’m not making the trip to NC. Pretty weak, especially the older kids so scouts can view their games. Been thru this for years w my daughters softball journey, guess softball is ahead of soccer.

Videos are a good screening tool, but since they admittedly show the player at his best they only set an upper limit on how good a player is. Factor in other things a coach has to consider, like available money or returning players (and conversely, field spots that need filling). Another dimension is what the player/parents are looking for -- help with admission, the likelihood of a playing roster spot, scholarship money?
Yes - Recruiting is comprehensive, skill or perception of skill is part of the equation. Don't disagree with anything you've listed.

Streaming live games is not captured video that is edited and then sent to a program -it's live. The pandemic forced leagues to work harder to meet their part of the deal - platform their players. Other youth sports/leagues have been doing it for some time. It's good to see a league innovate and then make the product better. Their has always been game video for sale at major showcases. This is completely different and many coaches like it. They got a taste of it during the pandemic and realize their is a place for it. Parents/family members also like it.

ECNL is savvy, I'm sure they'll jump on board soon. If they don't, then that's their decision.

Yes - Recruiting is comprehensive, skill or perception of skill is part of the equation. Don't disagree with anything you've listed.

Streaming live games is not captured video that is edited and then sent to a program -it's live. The pandemic forced leagues to work harder to meet their part of the deal - platform their players. Other youth sports/leagues have been doing it for some time. It's good to see a league innovate and then make the product better. Their has always been game video for sale at major showcases. This is completely different and many coaches like it. They got a taste of it during the pandemic and realize their is a place for it. Parents/family members also like it.

ECNL is savvy, I'm sure they'll jump on board soon. If they don't, then that's their decision.
My dd played at 7:30am at last years ECNL showcase in AZ. We had live stream games and I pumped it up for my goat. I told her all the coaches she emailed are getting up early to especially watch her play. It worked like a charm and made her try harder. Grandma & Grandpa tried to watch live but they got lost trying to follow their dgd and had the wrong game on at first. Then they had the wrong team. I like the effort of GA and not everyone can fly across the country to watch live.

My dd played at 7:30am at last years ECNL showcase in AZ. We had live stream games and I pumped it up for my goat. I told her all the coaches she emailed are getting up early to especially watch her play. It worked like a charm and made her try harder. Grandma & Grandpa tried to watch live but they got lost trying to follow their dgd and had the wrong game on at first. Then they had the wrong team. I like the effort of GA and not everyone can fly across the country to watch live.
I watched some of the ECNL NOV live stream. It was a great first attempt. I've been told by other parents that it was hit or miss based on the field. Looks like the GA took those lessons learned and improved on it. No reason ECNL couldn't put together a package just as good or better.

The GA improved their product from the Florida Showcase to their most recent. They used a different naming convention and were able to accurately match up fields to cameras. Camera view appeared to be pretty good as was the resolution. It's not a hard problem to solve with today's technology. I'm sure it wasn't cheap but it was appreciated.

Back