ECNL Expansion In Socal SW Division

There was, but US Soccer managed to F it all up.
That specific GA club that you are referring to has “13” D1 commits @ U19. Many Power 5 schools. Not too shabby. If you can play, they will find you, no matter what the league.
I only know of a few in the ECNL Southwest Conference that have more. For the record, I have girls in both leagues.

That specific GA club that you are referring to has “13” D1 commits @ U19. Many Power 5 schools. Not too shabby. If you can play, they will find you, no matter what the league.
I only know of a few in the ECNL Southwest Conference that have more. For the record, I have girls in both leagues.
Legacy DA teams dont count for GA teams.

That U19 was a solid group that benefited from the DA and the club does not have the talent in the lower ages to keep that pace up. They are losing their best kids on the younger teams. Saying "many" of the girls going to P5 is misleading. Do you know the number? Whatever that number is I am guessing it will drop considerably in the next few years.

Why not? It's the same club, same leadership, same facilities, and often the same coaches.
Because without the DA all of the items above are not good enough. Most (not all) are reasons people are leaving the club. People would tolerate it for the DA.

Because without the DA all of the items above are not good enough. Most (not all) are reasons people are leaving the club. People would tolerate it for the DA.
All GA clubs will be 2nd tier as soon as all their legacy DA teams graduate. all talent at younger GA teams are leaving to play ECNL because that's where all the top DA clubs went. GA clubs pointing at the past, while ECNL clubs are pointing at the future. Plain and simple

The bigger question is North County SD is HUGE + always has a lot of talent why isn't there a local option?

We all know the answer to this. It's just unfortunate.

Del Mar is North County; you have two options already. The region that has a vacuum is East County. I've seen numerous East County players at SD Surf, Sharks, and Rebels in the G2008-G2006 groups. Certainly enough East County talent currently playing in the three San Diego ECNL clubs to field competitive teams out of East County. I agree having another ECNL club out of Great Park is ignorant.

I do agree that in Socal ECNL clubs are very good.

However, I don't think it's a smart to write GA clubs off 100%. Sure some parents will chase whatever alphabet league they feel strongly about. But this is a marathon not a sprint. Going full tilt from youngers all the way through college isn't realistic for most players. There will be movement + over time the best players will get recruited no matter what club they play for.

Think about this potential outcome. Say your kid is on a top ECNL team but not getting minutes. Or what if they get hurt + need time to rehab + play at a lower level. Does it make sense to drive and hour+ for practice just to keep a spot on the bench? Maybe you could bump down to ECRL but parent egos wont allow that. Bam, suddenly you're trying to get on the #1 GA team that's local.

Like I said before GA coaches/leadership that were able to get players college looks during DA often hasn't changed. Just like bottom of the barrel ECNL clubs coaches/leadership that has problems getting players in the JCs hasn't changed.

Finally who do you think ECNL clubs are going to try and recruit from if they hear about a hot player. A top ECNL club they would never leave from or a top GA club where there's a good chance they would be happy to jump.

Think about this potential outcome. Say your kid is on a top ECNL team but not getting minutes. Or what if they get hurt + need time to rehab + play at a lower level. Does it make sense to drive and hour+ for practice just to keep a spot on the bench? Maybe you could bump down to ECRL but parent egos wont allow that. Bam, suddenly you're trying to get on the #1 GA team that's local.

100% agree. The goal for our kids has to be to get visibility when playing these college showcases. What's the point of being a bench player on a top team if you are not getting the looks from the coaches? Access to college scouts and visibility are available with both ECNL and GA.

100% agree. The goal for our kids has to be to get visibility when playing these college showcases. What's the point of being a bench player on a top team if you are not getting the looks from the coaches? Access to college scouts and visibility are available with both ECNL and GA.
100% brother. ECNL was spot on at Silver Lakes yesterday. I had no idea all the games were being played. I thought it was really cool to see many of the top college coaches from all the top schools at Silver Lakes yesterday. My dd finally got to play in a soccer game after her high school break to heal her body from all her injuries. I was impressed with games and ganas :) League games mean something more then the....."showcase the individual" in the games in AZ Showcase. Fields looked good but not like in AZ. I talked to one dad that said his dd was all ready to commit to a school in early Feb but the coach got whacked and she didnt feel any love from the new coach. This weekend, she found a great coach and a great school and got a deal. Really smart and excellent kid too. Lastly parents, your kid got's to be on the field to be seen.

I do agree that in Socal ECNL clubs are very good.

However, I don't think it's a smart to write GA clubs off 100%. Sure some parents will chase whatever alphabet league they feel strongly about. But this is a marathon not a sprint. Going full tilt from youngers all the way through college isn't realistic for most players. There will be movement + over time the best players will get recruited no matter what club they play for.

Like I said before GA coaches/leadership that were able to get players college looks during DA often hasn't changed. Just like bottom of the barrel ECNL clubs coaches/leadership that has problems getting players in the JCs hasn't changed.

Finally who do you think ECNL clubs are going to try and recruit from if they hear about a hot player. A top ECNL club they would never leave from or a top GA club where there's a good chance they would be happy to jump.

I agree with your assessment, the GA is a place for some kids that don't fit on the big club roster for whatever reason but are good enough to play in college.

My response was more about your point about a certain North County GA club and that it could keep talent when they were with the DA. They can't keep it now. That is not necessarily because of the change in leagues (from DA to GA). Some kids are getting recruited but more are leaving because of the leadership. Families would overlook that when they were in the DA. Not happening anymore.

I agree with your assessment, the GA is a place for some kids that don't fit on the big club roster for whatever reason but are good enough to play in college.

My response was more about your point about a certain North County GA club and that it could keep talent when they were with the DA. They can't keep it now. That is not necessarily because of the change in leagues (from DA to GA). Some kids are getting recruited but more are leaving because of the leadership. Families would overlook that when they were in the DA. Not happening anymore.
1000% correct

The reason that club is able to get away with what they're doing is because on the Boys side they have MLS Next which is the doing much better against ECNL than GA.

In the end it doesn't matter, players/parents will gravitate to whatever solution they feel strongly about. I mean come on, if Southwest ECNL really wanted to be the super league certain clubs wouldn't have been invited to the party. On the other side if GA really wanted to be the "best of the best" they would just join ECNL. Take a step back and you'll see the reality is that leagues are about separating parents from their $$$. Competition is important but $$$ is importanter.

At least we have tournaments like Surf Cup + others where the big clubs show off their finished products.

"if GA really wanted to be the "best of the best" they would just join ECNL"

This is not a choice they have though. They created their own league for clubs that were victims of DA folding, and ECNL did not offer.

"if GA really wanted to be the "best of the best" they would just join ECNL"

This is not a choice they have though. They created their own league for clubs that were victims of DA folding, and ECNL did not offer.
Wonder why we haven't started a discussion topic of "expansion of GA in the SW". Its because there is nothing on the horizon, and no one wants to join a dying league.

Wonder why we haven't started a discussion topic of "expansion of GA in the SW". Its because there is nothing on the horizon, and no one wants to join a dying league.
Actually.... FC Tucson and SC Del Sol are joining SW GA in the 2022 - 2023 season. SCDS is moving from mountain and FC Tucson is new to GA/DPL. The top girls were having to drive from Tucson to Phoenix for practice as there were no top level teams in the metro area. FC Tucson will now capture all that talent for their GA teams. There were many girls on ECNL and GA teams in phoenix that will now join that GA program.

Actually.... FC Tucson and SC Del Sol are joining SW GA in the 2022 - 2023 season. SCDS is moving from mountain and FC Tucson is new to GA/DPL. The top girls were having to drive from Tucson to Phoenix for practice as there were no top level teams in the metro area. FC Tucson will now capture all that talent for their GA teams. There were many girls on ECNL and GA teams in phoenix that will now join that GA program.
ECNL is still going to be the draw for the best girls in Tucson.

That said there are not large numbers of girls in Tucson currently driving up to Phoenix to play for ECNL clubs.

del Sol is struggling in the recruiting game as it relates to GA. With the advent of GA del Sol hasn't been able to recruit much. The best players in the area are going to the ECNL clubs. The 2 youngest age groups for del Sol in the GA show that. Neither team has a win. Between the 2 teams they have managed a total of 5 goals over 28 games.

GA doesn't seem to be of interest for those aging into the years where you can either join and ECNL club or a GA club.

Also, FRAM was recently added to GA, so there doesn't seem to be a shortage of teams wanting in.
But I'd love to do a study to see what percentage of the GA haters on this board have kids playing on the struggling ECNL teams, as opposed to the top ECNL teams. Because I'm missing the point of bashing GA. Clubs seem happy to join GA, regardless of the relative strengths of the two leagues. If your kid is on the strongest team in the strongest league, I'm happy for you, but I doubt you'd see much point in bashing the "dying" league.

Also, FRAM was recently added to GA, so there doesn't seem to be a shortage of teams wanting in.
But I'd love to do a study to see what percentage of the GA haters on this board have kids playing on the struggling ECNL teams, as opposed to the top ECNL teams. Because I'm missing the point of bashing GA. Clubs seem happy to join GA, regardless of the relative strengths of the two leagues. If your kid is on the strongest team in the strongest league, I'm happy for you, but I doubt you'd see much point in bashing the "dying" league.
It certainly seems some clubs do want in. It also appears their showcases are well run and attended.

That said in the SW it is a distant 2nd. In other parts of the country it may not be a distant second.

In Phx based on where kids go, the GA club seems to be the 4th choice (the other 3 ECNL clubs being the top options).

I am not bashing the league. Just observing that in Phx when kids age in, where they seem to prefer to go to.

It certainly seems some clubs do want in. It also appears their showcases are well run and attended.

That said in the SW it is a distant 2nd. In other parts of the country it may not be a distant second.

In Phx based on where kids go, the GA club seems to be the 4th choice (the other 3 ECNL clubs being the top options).

I am not bashing the league. Just observing that in Phx when kids age in, where they seem to prefer to go to.
Can't argue with any of that. (My comment was a response to someone else's post). Maybe someday we can get promotion/relegation, so this particular argument can end, and teams and players can "decide things on the field."

Can't argue with any of that. (My comment was a response to someone else's post). Maybe someday we can get promotion/relegation, so this particular argument can end, and teams and players can "decide things on the field."

It's not clear where you would promote from, since ECNL is a self-contained entity.

Back