Double practices

So you want a HS coach to develop a player in a 2 month HS season? :oops:

They better coaches do and will help with development.

HS is not typical 2 months, this year everything is shorten but in a regular season can be a summer program, fall , and finally winter play until March+ depending on the post season. That's like 6 months worth of practices, scrimmages, tournaments, league playing, post season, and team bonding. If players can't develop during that durations well yeah might be time to look at something else.

Maybe because I wasn't born in US, I could never understand "everyone plays" mentality. Playing time has to be earned. Don't get me wrong, I agree with you that on FS and JV teams everyone should be playing and having fun, but on Varsity level it should not be the same. The way I'm looking at it, HS Varsity it's a just one step before College ball for many kids. Same principal - training every day and a lot of games in a short period of time. Do you think college players all play?
HS coaches get kids playing most of the year for a different club coaches playing different styles and positions, as well as kids who don't play at all. Expecting those HS coaches to improve anything with this bunch in 2 month is a pipe dream.
The beauty of HS is that parents have little to no influence on playing time. It's not 100% pay to play. I know that quality of play varies from state to state, county to county.

Generally speaking, the kids who don't play many minutes or who don't play at all at least get the social aspect of it. The HS sports experience transcends "playing time". Just to be part of the team can be a win for players. Wearing the jersey during the week, practices, dressing up for home games, etc...It's way beyond playing time. Some frankly don't care if they play or not. Not a bad thing. The social thing is needed, especially now.

My son dropped off an acronym team last year so that he could play high school with his friends. We found a club team with a bunch of players in the same situation and a coach that understands. So right now, while high school is ramping up, his club is ramping down. They will still play in their spring league but the coach is not going to be all hard core with practices.

As a parent of one of the 99% of youth soccer players who wont go pro and who will [hopefully] get into college based on his grades and not soccer (saw too many commits to places like North Central North Dakota State to make playing soccer a prerequisite to choosing a college), my preference is which ever one makes him happy. I have also seen an added benefit that playing sports at his high school makes him want to go to school, which has helped his grades shoot up. Before, school was something that just got in the way of his 4-5 day a week soccer training schedule. Now it is what he does with his teammates while waiting for practice to start.

They better coaches do and will help with development.

HS is not typical 2 months, this year everything is shorten but in a regular season can be a summer program, fall , and finally winter play until March+ depending on the post season. That's like 6 months worth of practices, scrimmages, tournaments, league playing, post season, and team bonding. If players can't develop during that durations well yeah might be time to look at something else.
Regular HS season at public school is 2 month. Now you are talking about Private schools 6 month season. It's comparing apples with oranges.

Regular HS season at public school is 2 month. Now you are talking about Private schools 6 month season. It's comparing apples with oranges.

My kid goes to a public HS they start in summer, practice and play in the fall, tournaments, scrimmages, league starts Dec goes through Feb, post season in march yeah it's 6 months of playing and development in a typical season. Been like that for both my players going on about 7 seasons not count this year.

My son dropped off an acronym team last year so that he could play high school with his friends. We found a club team with a bunch of players in the same situation and a coach that understands. So right now, while high school is ramping up, his club is ramping down. They will still play in their spring league but the coach is not going to be all hard core with practices.

As a parent of one of the 99% of youth soccer players who wont go pro and who will [hopefully] get into college based on his grades and not soccer (saw too many commits to places like North Central North Dakota State to make playing soccer a prerequisite to choosing a college), my preference is which ever one makes him happy. I have also seen an added benefit that playing sports at his high school makes him want to go to school, which has helped his grades shoot up. Before, school was something that just got in the way of his 4-5 day a week soccer training schedule. Now it is what he does with his teammates while waiting for practice to start.
Agree and the grades are important - I assume its the same in most schools - in my son's school there a minimum grade level or you're off the team. This season a key player was pulled the day of a game due to a grade in one subject. They lost the game - he got it back up pronto to play. All the boys were aware ... but not aware. That focused them.

In AZ you can't do club & HS at the same time, so no conflict as people on here have been saying. I agree the level is below top club teams, but when you get some of the top HS teams playing, the level is good - plenty of letter league kids on each team (and plenty of kids showing they are just as good as those letter league kids too). My kid absolutely wanted to play HS and loved every minute of it.

My kid goes to a public HS they start in summer, practice and play in the fall, tournaments, scrimmages, league starts Dec goes through Feb, post season in march yeah it's 6 months of playing and development in a typical season. Been like that for both my players going on about 7 seasons not count this year.
Where is that, LA? HS soccer is a Winter season, Dec-Feb. Only couple of schools will be playing in March in Playoffs. Summer is normally some camps and maybe few games. In Fall or Spring you not suppose to play HS soccer (not saying you don't), but not suppose to.

And they have kids that play top level club as well participating in that entire 6 month process for a public HS soccer team? This is both of my daughters first year playing, but from my understanding of previous years it was like 3-4 weeks of conditioning and tryouts then a couple of month season and then playoffs -- i guess that makes about 3.5-4 month season.

And they have kids that play top level club as well participating in that entire 6 month process for a public HS soccer team? This is both of my daughters first year playing, but from my understanding of previous years it was like 3-4 weeks of conditioning and tryouts then a couple of month season and then playoffs -- i guess that makes about 3.5-4 month season.
100%, but a coach only get to work with kids Dec-Feb, which is 2 - 2.5 month.

Where is that, LA? HS soccer is a Winter season, Dec-Feb. Only couple of schools will be playing in March in Playoffs. Summer is normally some camps and maybe few games. In Fall or Spring you not suppose to play HS soccer (not saying you don't), but not suppose to.
My experience has been that there is a summer camp (3x week for 2 weeks), then HS Summer league (2 games per week for 6 weeks), then Fall Semester "Soccer Class" (conditioning, weights, some practice), then you have pre-season and league which starts in late November and typically does not take any time off during Christmas break.

My experience has been that there is a summer camp (3x week for 2 weeks), then HS Summer league (2 games per week for 6 weeks), then Fall Semester "Soccer Class" (conditioning, weights, some practice), then you have pre-season and league which starts in late November and typically does not take any time off during Christmas break.
Correct. That's what most public schools do. What I'm saying is that real soccer coaching and games only happens in Dec - Feb

Maybe because I wasn't born in US, I could never understand "everyone plays" mentality. Playing time has to be earned. Don't get me wrong, I agree with you that on FS and JV teams everyone should be playing and having fun, but on Varsity level it should not be the same. The way I'm looking at it, HS Varsity it's a just one step before College ball for many kids. Same principal - training every day and a lot of games in a short period of time. Do you think college players all play?
HS coaches get kids playing most of the year for a different club coaches playing different styles and positions, as well as kids who don't play at all. Expecting those HS coaches to improve anything with this bunch in 2 month is a pipe dream.
I clearly stated playing time should be earned, not given or payed for. I’m speaking more for the kids who never play. And from my personal experience with my kids I’ve seen improvement in as little 2 months when they switched clubs, had a new environment and a different coach. It didn’t always happen but it can be done. I’ve also seen the opposite where a player leaves a coach or team and they regress in their development. I bet plenty of kids in college that don’t play would rather play. Never met anyone who loved warming up the bench. From last years varsity team 2 out of 7 seniors went on to play college. HS is the last hurrah for most, for the lucky few it ends in college and even less on to semi-pro or pro.

I put the blame on ECNL. Why would you throw in so many games in a short period of time? Injuries will happen due to mismanagement of ECNL/DA. There’s a reason why professional teams don’t play more than 1 game every 3 to 4 days.
First of all this is club season. Club soccer should not have to take a back seat to high school soccer, which dropped into club season. Yes, all coaches involved need to respect the schedules these kids are dealing with this spring. But it is not on ECNL or any club to adjust for high school soccer. Also, these are not professionals. Playing two youth soccer games in a weekend is not difficult. If you have a roster of any depth it is easy to do.

First of all this is club season. Club soccer should not have to take a back seat to high school soccer, which dropped into club season. Yes, all coaches involved need to respect the schedules these kids are dealing with this spring. But it is not on ECNL or any club to adjust for high school soccer. Also, these are not professionals. Playing two youth soccer games in a weekend is not difficult. If you have a roster of any depth it is easy to do.
It's soccer season for all. Some kids get to do both and want the action that HS and club bring. No one should take a back seat to nothing. Playing two big time ECNL back to back is very challenging, especially having 10 month break.

I clearly stated playing time should be earned, not given or payed for. I’m speaking more for the kids who never play. And from my personal experience with my kids I’ve seen improvement in as little 2 months when they switched clubs, had a new environment and a different coach. It didn’t always happen but it can be done. I’ve also seen the opposite where a player leaves a coach or team and they regress in their development. I bet plenty of kids in college that don’t play would rather play. Never met anyone who loved warming up the bench. From last years varsity team 2 out of 7 seniors went on to play college. HS is the last hurrah for most, for the lucky few it ends in college and even less on to semi-pro or pro.
I understand your position but I strongly disagree. I think the everyone gets to play and gets a trophy mentality creates weak adults that struggle with failure and tend to “lose their shit” when they realize that life isn’t fair.

I loved the training that my kid received from the Rayados when she was playing for Baja California. Basically, they use soccer as a palatable way to teach kids life ain’t fair and that there are winners and losers in the real world.
1615317459410.jpeg

Yes LA.

Tournaments happen in Nov, scrimmages, and non league games with multiple coaches working with them from nov-march and one or more sept-nov which is many months worth of coaching & possible development.

First contest is around mid Nov and playoffs go into March, our school normally gets close to the 28 games max that excludes the sectionals so there can be plenty of coaching and development time.

Some would say the fall club season is shorter and has less actual games so it's hard to say that 3 months offers anymore playing opportunities for the kids if they did just that.

This year is unquie, it's all mashed together which makes things more difficult.

To avoid two much doubling up possible to do HS & Club with one taking place: M,W,F and the other Tue/Thursday with one day as the double for example. That's a lot of soccer and not for everyone but if your used to training 4x and have coaches on both ends that will accommodate could work out.

I understand your position but I strongly disagree. I think the everyone gets to play and gets a trophy mentality creates weak adults that struggle with failure and tend to “lose their shit” when they realize that life isn’t fair.

I loved the training that my kid received from the Rayados when she was playing for Baja California. Basically, they use soccer as a palatable way to teach kids life ain’t fair and that there are winners and losers in the real world.
View attachment 10345
How many star athletes kill themselves, loose their wealth, turn to drugs after the game is over for them? Plenty do. The always got a pass cause they we’re bigger, stronger, more skilled and helped win. Some were not help accountable on the personal side and once the lights go out and they are no being told yes and how great they are, they loose their shit too, not just the ones who always got a trophy and had fair play time. Let’s not kid ourselves. Each person is different and there is not a one size fits all to create a “strong mentality”. Many big bad athletes are weak minded and are only my strong minded when it comes to their sport but can’t function when they are no longer “the man or woman”.

Daughters current club coach keeps the roster to about 15. First half all get some action, 2nd half depends on what you did with your time in the first half. Some don’t come back in the second half cause they played sloppy, had attitude was selfish on the field etc. Doesn’t sound like everyone has fair play time and gets a trophy. Coach leaves it up to the girls to get more play time based on their actions from the first half, nothing else matters. He’s more into developing the person first and player 2nd. Guess my daughter is destined to lose her shit, who hasn’t at some point

Daughters current club coach keeps the roster to about 15. First half all get some action, 2nd half depends on what you did with your time in the first half. Some don’t come back in the second half cause they played sloppy, had attitude was selfish on the field etc. Doesn’t sound like everyone has fair play time and gets a trophy. Coach leaves it up to the girls to get more play time based on their actions from the first half, nothing else matters. He’s more into developing the person first and player 2nd. Guess my daughter is destined to lose her shit, who hasn’t at some point
15 on the Roster at what age? What happens when 5 gets injured?

Back