Double practices

Clear communication between families and coaches is the key-- we have been doing multiple seasons/practices for a few years between club and school. It wasn't always just soccer (volleyball/basketball/soccer) and the family has to have final say -- it may cause diminished playing time, but no injuries and playing time will come back. We have been fortunate that the coaches have mostly worked with us with a few issues.

I put the blame on ECNL. Why would you throw in so many games in a short period of time? Injuries will happen due to mismanagement of ECNL/DA. There’s a reason why professional teams don’t play more than 1 game every 3 to 4 days.
I do commend SCDSL/SoCal for their approach to the spring season. For the HS aged teams, they are playing every other weekend from March 23-April 24th. And then 1 game per weekend until May 16th.

I hope that all coaches are staying aware of playing time. If you are playing 2 games per weekend and riding 11 players for all 80 minutes --- there's a good chance your HS varsity coach is doing the same thing with those same players.

HS is 12 games over about 9 weeks. Take your player out or have her/him talk to your coach if they are cooked.

I'll also add that you need to make sure your player is also getting proper rest and eating right.
This is not the time for them to go "All protein / no carbs" to get ready for beach season.
And for girls - be especially careful during their menstrual cycle

I get what you're saying crush, but that's not really fair to the other players on the team if you just show up for the "important" games. Some coaches give game time based on being at training.

I don't want to be that guy, but without my son on the team they may not get very far. He's their #1 defender and helps to control/run that backline. I'm not saying the team is garbage without him, but he'd be tough to replace with who they have on the roster.

It's the club team he's going to have the problem with, and he'll pick the HS team over the club team if there's a push, and I'm ok with that.

I get what you're saying crush, but that's not really fair to the other players on the team if you just show up for the "important" games. Some coaches give game time based on being at training.

I don't want to be that guy, but without my son on the team they may not get very far. He's their #1 defender and helps to control/run that backline. I'm not saying the team is garbage without him, but he'd be tough to replace with who they have on the roster.

It's the club team he's going to have the problem with, and he'll pick the HS team over the club team if there's a push, and I'm ok with that.
Those Center Backs and Holding Mids are going to be the ones that rarely sub off. As much as I hate it when soccer teams do a basketball substitution at every opportunity (it kills the flow of a soccer game), I think coaches are going to need to swap players on and off frequently.

The issue of fairness don't exist in competitive environment. Goats will play whether they have been at training or not. Unless, of course, you coach or program don't care about results.

You're right, those are the days of the old AYSO teams, but some coaches, particularly HS coaches, still go that way.

That can also go the way of the coach that has "favorites" that play regardless of form and are not always the best player they can field in a given field position.

I'm sure we've seen it go both ways, we all have our stories.

From the past threes years of HS school soccer I noticed most teams carry nice sized rosters but usually start the same 11 and keep the bench rotation to a few players while most of the bench barely play, if at all. Time for HS coaches to stop being selfish and work on developing the bench and rotate more players so everyone gets some play time (obviously more skilled and hard working players should get more time)? Seen too many games where players never get into the game and barely play through out the season.

My oldest c/o 2021, has a unique opportunity to play over seas for the summer. She has decided to forgo her senior season and focus on her club season in addition the weight training and cardio/conditioning . She has chosen to attend the local JC that has a two year transfer program aligned with UC Davis for her major. She has never played ECnL/GA/DA or any of those “elite” leagues. So proud of that girl. She’s kept her head down, worked hard (soccer and academics) and built relationships over the past years with the coaches at the JC and UC Davis. As her parents we are so excited to travel with her this summer while she gets to play soccer in different countries against international competition. Covid could derail all this, keeping our fingers crossed.

My oldest c/o 2021, has a unique opportunity to play over seas for the summer. She has decided to forgo her senior season and focus on her club season in addition the weight training and cardio/conditioning . She has chosen to attend the local JC that has a two year transfer program aligned with UC Davis for her major. She has never played ECnL/GA/DA or any of those “elite” leagues. So proud of that girl. She’s kept her head down, worked hard (soccer and academics) and built relationships over the past years with the coaches at the JC and UC Davis. As her parents we are so excited to travel with her this summer while she gets to play soccer in different countries against international competition. Covid could derail all this, keeping our fingers crossed.
This is a great path and very mature decision - congratulations to your daughter!

Congrats to you and your DD!

From the past threes years of HS school soccer I noticed most teams carry nice sized rosters but usually start the same 11 and keep the bench rotation to a few players while most of the bench barely play, if at all. Time for HS coaches to stop being selfish and work on developing the bench and rotate more players so everyone gets some play time (obviously more skilled and hard working players should get more time)? Seen too many games where players never get into the game and barely play through out the season.
So you want a HS coach to develop a player in a 2 month HS season? :oops:

So you want a HS coach to develop a player in a 2 month HS season? :oops:

I would like for a coach to utilize the players he selected for his team. I would like the coach to give every girl that he selected for his team a chance to play in every game at some point. Attitude, work ethic within the game (and in practice)match ups with in the game and things like that should definitely play a part in how minutes are shared. I don’t see how coaches carry players they never plan on playing unless they have to. Can’t be good for confidence and mental health. HS soccer from all the HS games I’ve been to is obviously not big business like some colleges and pros or other HS school sports that generate money for the school. I guarantee if I train, practice and have the ability to play I will improve in 2 months not matter what it is I’m doing. Doing something in practice but not have the chance to do it against competition and under pressure is not the same. Oh wait, I remember when I started training to run marathons, every day and every month counted. I didn’t know you couldn’t develop in anything at some level if it’s 2 months or less

I’m not advocating for every player to get even minutes and no one has to earn them. But to have a kid show up to practice everyday and on game day they sit on the bench and fetch soccer balls is awesome, thanks coach.

I would like for a coach to utilize the players he selected for his team. I would like the coach to give every girl that he selected for his team a chance to play in every game at some point. Attitude, work ethic within the game (and in practice)match ups with in the game and things like that should definitely play a part in how minutes are shared. I don’t see how coaches carry players they never plan on playing unless they have to. Can’t be good for confidence and mental health. HS soccer from all the HS games I’ve been to is obviously not big business like some colleges and pros or other HS school sports that generate money for the school. I guarantee if I train, practice and have the ability to play I will improve in 2 months not matter what it is I’m doing. Doing something in practice but not have the chance to do it against competition and under pressure is not the same. Oh wait, I remember when I started training to run marathons, every day and every month counted. I didn’t know you couldn’t develop in anything at some level if it’s 2 months or less

Some coaches will play everyone even during the playoff others not so much.

My player actually requested less playing time during the last season and coach agreed but some how that didn't happen.

Anyway some of the players that didn't get big minutes during the regular season ended up with big moments in the playoffs. One player in particular scored there only goal of the season during post season play and later said it was one of the best memories and very rewarding to keep working remaining positive and contributing when called upon.

In general some coaches want to win so bad that the "fear" of using a larger rotation can get the best of them and others just don't like messing with the flow & rhythms of a particular set on the field but yeah I agree spreading out the minutes better would be beneficial to most HS players.

I’m not advocating for every player to get even minutes and no one has to earn them. But to have a kid show up to practice everyday and on game day they sit on the bench and fetch soccer balls is awesome, thanks coach.
Sounds like a debate on Equity vs Equality

Maybe because I wasn't born in US, I could never understand "everyone plays" mentality. Playing time has to be earned. Don't get me wrong, I agree with you that on FS and JV teams everyone should be playing and having fun, but on Varsity level it should not be the same. The way I'm looking at it, HS Varsity it's a just one step before College ball for many kids. Same principal - training every day and a lot of games in a short period of time. Do you think college players all play?
HS coaches get kids playing most of the year for a different club coaches playing different styles and positions, as well as kids who don't play at all. Expecting those HS coaches to improve anything with this bunch in 2 month is a pipe dream.

In college, some players go 4 years and never or barely get in a game. My kid doesn't focus on playing a bunch of minutes in high school games. Girls soccer in high school is more about building friendships, comraderie and school pride playing your rivals. It looks like social hour on the bench during matches. 26 players on her team. Quite a few never get in and the coach tries when he can. I just told my kid yesterday to practice hard so she gets some minutes but she told me that high school game minutes were not her priority but club game minutes were because she knows that's a pathway to college ball. I thought, you know, you're right.

Back