Double practices

Hi. With HS and Club about to start simultaneously, does anyone have experience with double sessions? My 05 midfielder is facing HS practices on M/Tu and games W/F. Meanwhile, club is Tu/Th with games Sat. And then tournaments? Travel? Cross-country runners and swimmers can train 7d/week no problem, but they don't get kicked quite as much. I'm not too worried about motivation, but I am concerned about the physical toll such as overuse injury. Is a double workout on Tue reasonable if his grades and attitude are kept up and Sun is rest day? What can a parent or coach look for as a warning sign? Thank you.

Our coach had an ECRL game this weekend and mentioned that the kids looked exhausted. Apparently they are practicing and playing every day of the week. Talk about soccer burnout for high school kids!

Our coach had an ECRL game this weekend and mentioned that the kids looked exhausted. Apparently they are practicing and playing every day of the week. Talk about soccer burnout for high school kids!
I would say being locked out of soccer for 12 months would make kids exhausted after they played a match. I know a few players that like to do both HS & Club and are not exhausted. I would tell club player to practice club only and then play in all the hs games :) That right there is paradise. Games and more games. Do NOT do double practices. That is insane.

I would not have my kid do double practices - it is going to take a physical toll. My kid has HS practices/games M-F, and it looks like club games on Saturdays & Sundays for the next several months. Club has practices twice each week and she will need to miss 1 day of HS soccer to train with her club. She won't be doing any extra keeper work during this period. Two club games this weekend; I did not see the Saturday game, but the girls were tired on Sunday - you could tell. If your kid won't moderate the practices, then you should (IMO).

I would not have my kid do double practices - it is going to take a physical toll. My kid has HS practices/games M-F, and it looks like club games on Saturdays & Sundays for the next several months. Club has practices twice each week and she will need to miss 1 day of HS soccer to train with her club. She won't be doing any extra keeper work during this period. Two club games this weekend; I did not see the Saturday game, but the girls were tired on Sunday - you could tell. If your kid won't moderate the practices, then you should (IMO).
I count 30 games ((hs+club)) in the next 12 weeks. This does not include playoffs. The only double of anything that I suggest is a double shot of expresso :)

Last edited:
Both club and HS coaches has to be in agreement on both games and practices. It's only the beginning and injuries will be inevitable if both coaches don't know what is happening in each others training.

Both club and HS coaches has to be in agreement on both games and practices. It's only the beginning and injuries will be inevitable if both coaches don't know what is happening in each others training.
Communication is key Eagle. The war on HS Soccer will never end. It's clear some HS Coaches are clueless and vice versa. The month of May will be insane if HS team makes CIF and ECNL team is making a Champions League playoff run. Push will come down to shove and I can;t wait tell see all that dilemma play out. If there is a will, there is a way.

Communication is key Eagle. The war on HS Soccer will never end. It's clear some HS Coaches are clueless and vice versa. The month of May will be insane if HS team makes CIF and ECNL team is making a Champions League playoff run. Push will come down to shove and I can;t wait tell see all that dilemma play out. If there is a will, there is a way.

I put the blame on ECNL. Why would you throw in so many games in a short period of time? Injuries will happen due to mismanagement of ECNL/DA. There’s a reason why professional teams don’t play more than 1 game every 3 to 4 days.

I put the blame on ECNL. Why would you throw in so many games in a short period of time? Injuries will happen due to mismanagement of ECNL/DA. There’s a reason why professional teams don’t play more than 1 game every 3 to 4 days.
I put the blame on others but I wont say WHO. Parents also have to share in the blame. Their desperate to see their child play one more time before they move out of the house. I was talking to a parent with a senior and they were both in tears yesterday. Their senior year ripped away from them or actually stolen, MOO!! Senior year is a very valuable year, just saying. Slow down is all I can say. Manage minutes and step in as a parent if you have to. I know coaches don't like it when papa or mama bear step in for the safety of their child but this calls for action. At least ECNL has no games in April :)

My daughter has chosen the forgo her Senior year of soccer. She’s burned out by the politics side of club/HS soccer. She has some things lined up to play over seas at a low level after graduation. I believe not every kid/adult can handle the same work load. Why not choose one, commit 2 days to cardio, 2-3 days to a gym each week? Or something like that instead of soccer 24/7? My younger son just told be he isn’t enjoying the 24/7/365 grind of soccer anymore. He wants to go back to playing each sport that aligns with Spring/Winter/Fall. Honestly I was so happy and proud to hear it directly from him.

So far our high school coach is only doing light one hour practice twice a week. He probably knows the conflict that is occurring and doesn't want to over strain players. My kid ends up double practice those days though. Right now she has Thursday off and one day on the weekends so that is good and I may have to cancel private sessions for a month to so she gets an additional recovery period. Parents need to monitor their kids and ensure they have adequate recovery time or injuries will happen.

So far our high school coach is only doing light one hour practice twice a week. He probably knows the conflict that is occurring and doesn't want to over strain players. My kid ends up double practice those days though. Right now she has Thursday off and one day on the weekends so that is good and I may have to cancel private sessions for a month to so she gets an additional recovery period. Parents need to monitor their kids and ensure they have adequate recovery time or injuries will happen.
100%. Also, check on their mental state. These times are not like anything we had to deal with as kids.

We also have to remember that not every player on the HS team is also on a club team, so the HS coach has to train the entire team, but could perhaps make some concessions to the club players if they can work something out.

My son has HS games scheduled on just about every practice day that he has for his club team, so that's where we're going to have an issue. It's the club coach that we have to work something out with now.

We also have to remember that not every player on the HS team is also on a club team, so the HS coach has to train the entire team, but could perhaps make some concessions to the club players if they can work something out.

My son has HS games scheduled on just about every practice day that he has for his club team, so that's where we're going to have an issue. It's the club coach that we have to work something out with now.
club coaches will have no choice if you put them against the fact that your player will or not attend the training on a certain day

Practices or games just about every day M-F or the next 9 weeks for HS for some D1 programs.

Some higher level clubs teams have 3-4 practices per next 3 months with league games on the weekend plus travel tournaments.

Obviously that's way too much to even considering doing both. Compromise? I dunno if that's possible for some who's number one priority is school education & coursework.

Trying to do both at the same with the same commitment and level of play is extremely difficult to do, some may succeed but doubling can lead to doing neither well or grades suffering also so be careful and remember every one needs some rest, rehab and time off sometime.

Yes, perhaps the hs coach can allow club player to play only in big match ups and skip practices. I went to school with Rick Leach and he was big time and had to miss tennis practice and some games because of national tournaments. However, you could always count on Rick and his bro to show up for CIF and win it all.

What you all are experiencing right now is what has been happening in Vegas in the fall the last few years. When my oldest kid played ECNL (2016/2017 season) they were not allowed to play high school soccer because of the many reasons that you all are giving such as burnout and injuries. They were also not allowed to do any school activities such as band, theater or student government. When boys ECNL started (and the same year girls DA started) they allowed girls to play high school soccer. One of the reasons I heard was because many of the boys were not willing to give up high school soccer to play ECNL. There would have been no way to justify keeping the girls from playing and allowing the boys. Don't know if this is true or not. So club players who want to play high school have to go through this grind for 4 years here.

Back