DMCV Sharks Girls Director

You have to work. You have to recruit. You have to get your hands dirty.
and you have to offer free rides bro to be truly #1. Come on, if the big dog is offering the best of the best from the rest free soccer, then you need to build a local program and hope the big dog misses out or the team has division and bad chemistry. Start with being honest with the local players. Big dog will recruit players from SD County, Riverside County and Orange County and LA. I hear Vegas too and offer free ride.

Last edited:
If you're confident your child will be starting every A team game, you've got nothing to worry about.
If your child is on the cusp between A and B team, it's a good option because they get more playing time and will have a chance to move in and out of situations based on how hard they work or the match up they will be having.
If your kid is a solid B team player, you don't have anything to worry about either any everything to gain. She's going to play on the B team unless she decides to take soccer more seriously and starts beating out those A team players.

The question is, is your child comfortable being pushed to compete for her position every week or does she prefer the comforts of knowing which team she will be on. Playing time will not be guaranteed regardless is she picks Rebels, Sharks, or Surf. If she sucks during the game and her sub comes in as a great player, your player won't get minutes either. If this continues for a few games, your child will not get playing time no matter which club you paid your 5K to.
While I support the idea of player pools, it does leave out the issue of politics effecting playing time.

Your analogy is off...you might be paying for a porsche 911 or a porsche boxster but you'll know going into the season if you're on the bubble for the better model or not...just tell kids to work harder or switch clubs... this is the model in europe...its best for putting out the best soccer teams weekly...we don't need entitled parents/players... "A" team parents of the "bubble" kids will complain while everyone else will be happy for the chance to actually compete for roster spots...and isn't that what sport is all about?!
The Europe model is for profit professional football academies that are fully funded like some of our MLS youth academies are. I'm not sure it's an equal comparison to our pay to play non-profit youth soccer organizations.

Help me understand how Surf is in decline when the 06's lost in the last minute of the ECNL final (then won Surf Cup), the 07's lost in PK's to go to the semi's of the ECNL playoffs (then won Surf Cup), and the 08's won both Manchester City and Surf Cup.
They are clearly in decline: TWENTY Surf Players Called Up to YNT Camps! – San Diego Surf Soccer Club
This guy clearly doesn't know how to coach: Coach: Andrés Deza – San Diego Surf Soccer Club
Their GK's aren't getting any help from this guy: Coach: Louis Hunt – San Diego Surf Soccer Club
Not to mention what you referenced about the on field success. Haters are gonna hate. Are there problems, sure, but success on the field doesn't seem to be one of them.

The Europe model is for profit professional football academies that are fully funded like some of our MLS youth academies are. I'm not sure it's an equal comparison to our pay to play non-profit youth soccer organizations.
It's not equal. Pay to play will disrupt the player pool approach. No one wants to pay the $$ and be "relegated" to the lower team. There is hardly a parent in this country who is shelling out the money, their time, and their stress to play who will willingly go along with player pools - unless it's free of charge.

They are clearly in decline: TWENTY Surf Players Called Up to YNT Camps! – San Diego Surf Soccer Club
This guy clearly doesn't know how to coach: Coach: Andrés Deza – San Diego Surf Soccer Club
Their GK's aren't getting any help from this guy: Coach: Louis Hunt – San Diego Surf Soccer Club
Not to mention what you referenced about the on field success. Haters are gonna hate. Are there problems, sure, but success on the field doesn't seem to be one of them.
Virtual call ups count? ID Centers? I'm confused but super proud of all the players. Deza is the real deal.

Point taken on Euro being fee free. However, you have to pay the $$ in US to play regardless... whether its at Surf or elsewhere...it will likely be less $ elsewhere...I don't understand the issue: if you don't make one of the prime A team spots go elsewhere...and save money too. If Surf implements pool play, I bet other clubs do the same...it's best for competition...not the best for parents who want guaranteed roster spots...a whole lot can change in a year of 10 or 11 year old growth or lack thereof...why not field the best?!

It's not equal. Pay to play will disrupt the player pool approach. No one wants to pay the $$ and be "relegated" to the lower team. There is hardly a parent in this country who is shelling out the money, their time, and their stress to play who will willingly go along with player pools - unless it's free of charge.

If you're confident your child will be starting every A team game, you've got nothing to worry about.
If your child is on the cusp between A and B team, it's a good option because they get more playing time and will have a chance to move in and out of situations based on how hard they work or the match up they will be having.
If your kid is a solid B team player, you don't have anything to worry about either any everything to gain. She's going to play on the B team unless she decides to take soccer more seriously and starts beating out those A team players.

The question is, is your child comfortable being pushed to compete for her position every week or does she prefer the comforts of knowing which team she will be on. Playing time will not be guaranteed regardless is she picks Rebels, Sharks, or Surf. If she sucks during the game and her sub comes in as a great player, your player won't get minutes either. If this continues for a few games, your child will not get playing time no matter which club you paid your 5K to.
I have so many thoughts and questions about this from my own experiences. With the exception of the obvious skilled smart exceptional player, the decision on who is A team and who is B team can change with so many variables. Coach preference of players (some prefer smart and tactical, some prefer aggressive and big, some value speed over everything, some value team players over selfish players, etc.), coach style of play ([possession, direct, win at all cost, cheat), other level of players on B team, short term approach vs. long term development, goals of the club, culture of the club, politics. The point being the decision is largely subjective and two different coaches would potentially make different decisions. Not to mention that on the boys side, there is a whole physical development issue where the smartest tactical player at 11 struggles from 12-15 and then rebounds at 16 once they hit puberty. Maybe they are okay playing on the B team for those years but in a lot of clubs, the B team is extremely far off from the A team, like a rec team compared to the mentality and commitment of the A team.

70% of kids stop playing sports at age 13. Why does that happen? Is that good for the youth in our communities? And on that same note, what is really the mission of the non-profit youth soccer organization? Is it to line the pockets of the DOC's by creating winning teams to expand their national brand while they treat our kids like commodities? And shouldn't the responsibility of the coach be to get all their players to improve? These aren't fully funded professional academies right? This is local non profit pay to play competitive youth soccer?

I love competitive sports, especially for the character building, but it should still be youth centered, and we've just veered too far to the side of serving the adults in my opinion.

Theres another issue with pool play for youth soccer that's not being discussed. What happens after you sign a commitment to a college. Do you keep playing at 110% week in/out risking injury for a place on a team that no longer matters? I suppose the flip side to the pool play coin is after committing you could just play on the B team just for fun + give others a chance to get noticed.

Theres another issue with pool play for youth soccer that's not being discussed. What happens after you sign a commitment to a college. Do you keep playing at 110% week in/out risking injury for a place on a team that no longer matters? I suppose the flip side to the pool play coin is after committing you could just play on the B team just for fun + give others a chance to get noticed.

Don't assume its just A and B...don't perform and you could be on the C team and vice versa...fixes attitude problems real fast!

Don't assume its just A and B...don't perform and you could be on the C team and vice versa...fixes attitude problems real fast!
If the player has already committed to a college what would dropping them to a "C" team do? If anything a move like that would make the club look bad and the player would leave with a negative perception.

Also with ECNL + ECRL + the pool play Surf intends to deploy you cant drop players to the C team.

Pool play teams suck. Period. You make a commitment to a team for the season, pay the large fee, and the team/coach should make an equal commitment to the player for the season. Invest in the development of a player that you see has potential. Otherwise you aren’t a coach, you are only a manager. You are only managing the talent and not developing shit. This is youth sports, not MLS. Teach, coach and grow US youth players. The kids don’t care about the name on their jersey or the letters after the team name, the parents sitting around eating wings and drinking beer during practice make it about that with their stupid egos.

If the player has already committed to a college what would dropping them to a "C" team do? If anything a move like that would make the club look bad and the player would leave with a negative perception.

Also with ECNL + ECRL + the pool play Surf intends to deploy you cant drop players to the C team.

It applies to all age groups...and pool play means that team status can change weekly

Pool play teams suck. Period. You make a commitment to a team for the season, pay the large fee, and the team/coach should make an equal commitment to the player for the season. Invest in the development of a player that you see has potential. Otherwise you aren’t a coach, you are only a manager. You are only managing the talent and not developing shit. This is youth sports, not MLS. Teach, coach and grow US youth players. The kids don’t care about the name on their jersey or the letters after the team name, the parents sitting around eating wings and drinking beer during practice make it about that with their stupid egos.

This is exactly right, these clubs have managers more than they do coaches. Thank you for articulating it better and in less words than I did.

I'd argue that making it more competitive with pool play makes US soccer more competitive...dont like the pressure then play at a lower level. Also, the coaches see all the players all the time as they cross train and can choose the best every week and not just once a year in a free for all tryout...

Most girls love the team concept and then try and win as a team, not as a pool of players. That ain;t no team. My dd has a friend that did pool play and it sucked. Coach basically tells the girls he will decide out of the 40 sum girls who is A worthy team and who is B worthy team for that week only. I hate it personally too, especially at the youngers. As a coach I want to build a team of 18-20 ((20 for U19 and 18 for all the rest)) players that are 100% committed to winning it all that season. One year only commitment. The politicking that goes on "Behind Closed Doors" is hard to match for some parents to get their kid on a youth soccer team. The sky is the limit....

Most girls love the team concept and then try and win as a team, not as a pool of players. That ain;t no team. My dd has a friend that did pool play and it sucked. Coach basically tells the girls he will decide out of the 40 sum girls who is A worthy team and who is B worthy team for that week only. I hate it personally too, especially at the youngers. As a coach I want to build a team of 18-20 ((20 for U19 and 18 for all the rest)) players that are 100% committed to winning it all that season. One year only commitment. The politicking that goes on "Behind Closed Doors" is hard to match for some parents to get their kid on a youth soccer team. The sky is the limit....

What they love and what creates the best winning teams may be 2 different things...

Point taken on Euro being fee free. However, you have to pay the $$ in US to play regardless... whether its at Surf or elsewhere...it will likely be less $ elsewhere...I don't understand the issue: if you don't make one of the prime A team spots go elsewhere...and save money too. If Surf implements pool play, I bet other clubs do the same...it's best for competition...not the best for parents who want guaranteed roster spots...a whole lot can change in a year of 10 or 11 year old growth or lack thereof...why not field the best?!

Respectfully disagree. If/when Surf implements pool play, it may very well drive talent to other clubs. It's the nature of the beast. Many parents won't operate well in a week to week scenario. Way to much planning goes into getting your DD to practices, games, etc. All of it cost money. The parents are what's keeping the Surf train rolling (and other club's train rolling).

I like the idea of pool play - will not work in a pay to play scenario. The expectation of a return on your investment is etched in everyone's brain. We had an MLS club in AZ implement somewhat of a pool play scenario last season. Didn't go over well at all - weekly trainwreck. Maybe they didn't implement it well, maybe the club didn't articulate the pros over the cons...

Back