DMCV Sharks Girls Director

You should reach out to him. I'm guessing he will be coaching ECNL teams now that he's director of it. He needs to coach more than the 2009 team to recruit players to Sharks.
Why do you assume MW will be involved with ECNL teams?

At this point the only known item is what MW will be a Girls DOC at Sharks. He could be DOC for all of the Girls teams, he could be the DOC of just ECNL teams, he could also be the DOC of just the younger not yet ECNL teams.

All eyes are on Sharks leadership right now. They have the opportunity to turn this into a huge win. They also have the opportunity to make it a huge loss. (By sidelining MW + not providing the environment to be successful)

What I'm curious to see is what coaches stay, leave, and are brought on over the next 6 months. This more than anything will determine how Sharks recruitment will go for next season.

Will the North County San Diego white upper middle-class crowd reject its obsession for big brand name consumption? I'm not sure those parents have the courage and objective foresight and reasoning to choose coaches over club reputation, even if that rep is undeserved. Though Surf is doing its best lately to prove it is in decline.

Will the North County San Diego white upper middle-class crowd reject its obsession for big brand name consumption? I'm not sure those parents have the courage and objective foresight and reasoning to choose coaches over club reputation, even if that rep is undeserved. Though Surf is doing its best lately to prove it is in decline.
Congrats on the gold btw and truly being #1 in the world. You have score board until World Cup 2023.

Help me understand how Surf is in decline when the 06's lost in the last minute of the ECNL final (then won Surf Cup), the 07's lost in PK's to go to the semi's of the ECNL playoffs (then won Surf Cup), and the 08's won both Manchester City and Surf Cup.

Help me understand how Surf is in decline when the 06's lost in the last minute of the ECNL final (then won Surf Cup), the 07's lost in PK's to go to the semi's of the ECNL playoffs (then won Surf Cup), and the 08's won both Manchester City and Surf Cup.
Next season Surf is going to implement player pools. What will likely happen is 3-5 of the "best of the best of the best" will get a golden ticket A team guarantee + likely scholarship. The rest of the players will will either be in the player pool that can play A or B teams or they'll be designated B team only. From a Club perspective player pools makes a lot of sense. If certain players aren't working out on the A team you can shift them off and bring in initially tagged B team players. From a parent perspective player pools doesn't make sense when you're paying 5K+ for soccer fees.

This is where Sharks come in. Surf and Sharks are right next to each other and both play in ECNL. As long as the players and coaches are decent Sharks might be the way to go. Players that are average on Surf will be superstars at Sharks. If you're trying to appeal to college recruiters it might make more sense to be on the field vs on the bench.

must be a Surf parent. Noted. You're making my point for me. It's all about winning tournaments for you and your ilk.

The club is losing good players more than ever before, the coaching turnover is at a higher rate than ever before, their tournaments are not as popular (Surf Cup is not what it used to be), they have more competition in the county than ever before, and oh, there's this little thing you might not have heard about called a sexual harassment lawsuit against current management.

Meanwhile, Sharks just hired a great soccer guy to work in Surf's backyard and Rebels is placing players into top colleges more than ever.

But, that's just my perspective from the OC, so what do I know.

must be a Surf parent. Noted. You're making my point for me. It's all about winning tournaments for you and your ilk.

The club is losing good players more than ever before, the coaching turnover is at a higher rate than ever before, their tournaments are not as popular (Surf Cup is not what it used to be), they have more competition in the county than ever before, and oh, there's this little thing you might not have heard about called a sexual harassment lawsuit against current management.

Meanwhile, Sharks just hired a great soccer guy to work in Surf's backyard and Rebels is placing players into top colleges more than ever.

Swinging a big bat today bro. I have to leave for a few hours. Three is better then 1 in San Diego. I actually think 4 is better then 3, MOO. Let Carlsbad City in as well. Sad Diego County is amazing and needs four. I 100% believe girls need to be on the field and not feel blackballed or worse for making a change for the health of a dd. That's what happens when their is only 1 and that one has the goods. Peace to all of you and make it a great day. Let freedom ring loud and true for EVERYONE!!!

I'm routing for Sharks and Rebels to elevate their game but I'm not sure this is very accurate. Rebels is placing players in top colleges? Rebels has always placed players in colleges but top colleges is a stretch. I need a few examples to be convinced. I heard they're losing their top players to Surf. If Albion had been given ECNL, Surf would have had tough, but with MW gone from Albion and with GA's extensive traveling for league games, it's going to be tough for the girl's program to compete.

Why do you assume MW will be involved with ECNL teams?

At this point the only known item is what MW will be a Girls DOC at Sharks. He could be DOC for all of the Girls teams, he could be the DOC of just ECNL teams, he could also be the DOC of just the younger not yet ECNL teams.

All eyes are on Sharks leadership right now. They have the opportunity to turn this into a huge win. They also have the opportunity to make it a huge loss. (By sidelining MW + not providing the environment to be successful)

What I'm curious to see is what coaches stay, leave, and are brought on over the next 6 months. This more than anything will determine how Sharks recruitment will go for next season.
The guess is a logical guess based on Shark's needs. They have a very strong rec program and their younger teams are generally very good but then they start losing their players without attracting new ones because older ages aren't promising. Their immediate needs is ECNL teams as they are year over year at the bottom quarter of league at every age group. If they can improve their ECNL teams, they can retain more players and recruit more. MW is a great coach and he will have to figure out how to balance his director responsibilities with coaching some ECNL teams to turn the program around. MW's greatest asset is his coaching ability and he'll have to use it where it matters, the ECNL teams. Shannon should get MW an assistant to help with the director role and have him coach with a few assistant coaches to learn from him.

My admittedly second hand, and as such uninformed understanding of things, is that MW will oversee the entire girls program, not just ECNL, and has essentially been given carte blanche in making decisions from top to bottom. From what I've seen of him, he's proactive and thoughtful, and works hard to improve his teams and playing environment. I think Sharks learned that you can't just slap 4 letters on your club and team names and have parents and players flock to your program. You have to work. You have to recruit. You have to get your hands dirty. You have to sell your program on social media and through reputable coach hires. You have to get parents talking about your program again. You have to convince potential recruits that your program is on an upward trajectory, and that more, better players will inevitably follow to strengthen existing rosters. ECNL being the top dog again will make all of this easier, but it still takes effort, personality and passion. MW has his work cut out for him, but if anyone can pull it off it's him.

Things are not going to change overnight of course, but I'm excited to see how it plays out over the next couple of years.

IMO, player pools across all levels are great.. kids get real opportunities to move up... a once a year evaluation with things never really changing is ridiculous...I believe in the Euro youth leagues kids can move up or down weekly based on performance...should be the same here...too many entrenched kids, they should be competing regularly to play at the best levels. If parents really want their kids to be the best, they should support player pools as it pushes them to excell.

Next season Surf is going to implement player pools. What will likely happen is 3-5 of the "best of the best of the best" will get a golden ticket A team guarantee + likely scholarship. The rest of the players will will either be in the player pool that can play A or B teams or they'll be designated B team only. From a Club perspective player pools makes a lot of sense. If certain players aren't working out on the A team you can shift them off and bring in initially tagged B team players. From a parent perspective player pools doesn't make sense when you're paying 5K+ for soccer fees.

This is where Sharks come in. Surf and Sharks are right next to each other and both play in ECNL. As long as the players and coaches are decent Sharks might be the way to go. Players that are average on Surf will be superstars at Sharks. If you're trying to appeal to college recruiters it might make more sense to be on the field vs on the bench.

IMO, player pools across all levels are great.. kids get real opportunities to move up... a once a year evaluation with things never really changing is ridiculous...I believe in the Euro youth leagues kids can move up or down weekly based on performance...should be the same here...too many entrenched kids, they should be competing regularly to play at the best levels. If parents really want their kids to be the best, they should support player pools as it pushes them to excell.
I don't disagree + if all players were scholarship expectation would be player pools.

However if you are a parent of a kid that doesn't have a scholarship and expected to pay 5k to play on a team where your kid may or may not play week in week out other options may become appealing.

I don't disagree + if all players were scholarship expectation would be player pools.

However if you are a parent of a kid that doesn't have a scholarship and expected to pay 5k to play on a team where your kid may or may not play week in week out other options may become appealing.

Agreed, however, nothing wrong with playing on the B team vs sitting on the A team bench...in fact, I'd prefer that...or switch to a different club that's not as strong...and save money too!

Is Surf implementing this for girls and boys?

Agree. If I'm paying, I have a right to know what I'm paying for. Just like I'm not going to hand over $100,000 if you tell me I MIGHT get a Porsche or I MIGHT get a Honda and that I'll just have to trust that you'll give me what's best for me.

Agree. If I'm paying, I have a right to know what I'm paying for. Just like I'm not going to hand over $100,000 if you tell me I MIGHT get a Porsche or I MIGHT get a Honda and that I'll just have to trust that you'll give me what's best for me.

Your analogy is off...you might be paying for a porsche 911 or a porsche boxster but you'll know going into the season if you're on the bubble for the better model or not...just tell kids to work harder or switch clubs... this is the model in europe...its best for putting out the best soccer teams weekly...we don't need entitled parents/players... "A" team parents of the "bubble" kids will complain while everyone else will be happy for the chance to actually compete for roster spots...and isn't that what sport is all about?!

If you're confident your child will be starting every A team game, you've got nothing to worry about.
If your child is on the cusp between A and B team, it's a good option because they get more playing time and will have a chance to move in and out of situations based on how hard they work or the match up they will be having.
If your kid is a solid B team player, you don't have anything to worry about either any everything to gain. She's going to play on the B team unless she decides to take soccer more seriously and starts beating out those A team players.

The question is, is your child comfortable being pushed to compete for her position every week or does she prefer the comforts of knowing which team she will be on. Playing time will not be guaranteed regardless is she picks Rebels, Sharks, or Surf. If she sucks during the game and her sub comes in as a great player, your player won't get minutes either. If this continues for a few games, your child will not get playing time no matter which club you paid your 5K to.

Back