DMCV Sharks Girls Director

You'd think... While the move to bring MW on is a great start. Sharks still need a house cleaning to get rid of the deadwood.
MW will make those teams competitive soon. What's there to lose if your daughter is currently on the bench or on an ecrl team? Your daughter can be a starter and play against ECNL teams, not ECRL teams, and we've seen what MW can do with teams and programs.

I was thinking if 6 or 7 of those kids you described thought about it. They could form a pretty competitive ECNL team with decent playing time over at Sharks. It would create a very different look to Sharks teams.

Just a thought though.

I mean if my kid was on the bench a good amount on an ECNL or on an ECRL team and had a chance to go with a few others in the same boat and kind of start a "newish" team and get to start on an ECNL team, that might be a consideration.

Agree. Sitting the bench is a no-go for my kids. Full stop. Take the top "dual roster" (does anyone really buy into that?) and ECRL kids from Surf and combine them with a few of the top kids from Sharks and other nearby non-ECNL San Diego clubs (City, Albion, SDSC) and you could have yourself an ECNL team at Sharks that can compete with just about anyone. If we lived a little further south, I'd be all over it.

MW will make those teams competitive soon. What's there to lose if your daughter is currently on the bench or on an ecrl team? Your daughter can be a starter and play against ECNL teams, not ECRL teams, and we've seen what MW can do with teams and programs.
100% true Emma. We ALL need to just call the girls soccer players. Some just need a chance to play. This is 100% a win and a big win for all in SD. Congratulations you guys, you deserve it. I don't know this MW, but wow, folks are happy and that makes me happy.

You'd think... While the move to bring MW on is a great start. Sharks still need a house cleaning to get rid of the deadwood.
I think if were all to be honest, we ALL need to clean our own house first and then get rid of the driftwood on our foreheads and then go help others. For example, I was coaching a guy who owned his own business back in the day. Yelpers will let you know how your really doing. He had a 3.3 avg in the trade arena and customers in this arena are scared to get ripped off. He called me because I was helping another guy he knew who had 5 star all over his place. I set up a meeting and had to sit out in front of his call center. Then he came out barking and cussing at his workers. I could see clearly why this guy was 3.5. It's starts with the owner I told him, his leadership style ((mission statement)) and then how he teats the folks that work for him. I told him in a pro way that If you treat people that work for you like shit, then you will get 3.5 or less. He told be to buzz off and he hates Yelp anyways. Dude was spending over $30,000 a month with Google because they dont really hold him accountable. Fake review's is easy peasy on some social platforms. Not yelp!!!

I have no doubts that MW can make teams competitive. The problem with Sharks isn't resolved just by bringing on a new Girls DOC. Leadership has allowed Sharks to swirl around the toilet for 10+ years. Change starts at the top + certain people need to go or be realigned into positions better fitting their skillsets.

No one is factoring in the motivation for girls to play on a certain team (ECRL for example). DD is happy on the team she is on. She plays with her best friend. She has great teammates. Teammates parents are supportive. Her team is competitive against some pretty good talent. She does not aspire to play ECNL. She had the opportunity to go the DA path a few years ago and decided against it. We talked about the other local clubs and she decided against moving. Some times there is more to life.

No one is factoring in the motivation for girls to play on a certain team (ECRL for example). DD is happy on the team she is on. She plays with her best friend. She has great teammates. Teammates parents are supportive. Her team is competitive against some pretty good talent. She does not aspire to play ECNL. She had the opportunity to go the DA path a few years ago and decided against it. We talked about the other local clubs and she decided against moving. Some times there is more to life.
MW is not the right soccer club coach for any player who prioritizes the social aspect of club soccer over the competitiveness of it.

He is screwing over his current Albion teams though right? Didn't they already pay for a full season through Feb/March 2022 expecting him to be their coach? Doesn't he usually coach 3+ younger teams?

Agree with what's been said above about 1 guy not being able to transform a club. To truly improve down there they gotta hire 4+ more quality coaches and have demonstrable success/improvement in play and player placement. It is a start, but still a long road forward with two other ECNL clubs in the county who are well ahead of them.

He is screwing over his current Albion teams though right? Didn't they already pay for a full season through Feb/March 2022 expecting him to be their coach? Doesn't he usually coach 3+ younger teams?

Agree with what's been said above about 1 guy not being able to transform a club. To truly improve down there they gotta hire 4+ more quality coaches and have demonstrable success/improvement in play and player placement. It is a start, but still a long road forward with two other ECNL clubs in the county who are well ahead of them.
The 21-22 season hasn't actually started so my guess is they could get their money back. And I would guess some of the players are following him to Sharks.

I agree with you in regards to pulling a fast one with his Albion teams. How do you think he spins the conversation? Can he offer scholarships to all his Albion players to move?

Lol. My kids have played competitive soccer for years and I don't remember ever seeing in the fine print of my contract that we were guaranteed a particular coach for the duration of the season, as much as we'd all like to assume that will be the case. Life happens. People move. People get better opportunities. It's a job for the coaches and a business for the clubs. Players can follow coaches who leave mid-season if they want to, but I wouldn't expect them to be guaranteed spots on the roster or scholarships by any stretch of the imagination. Plus, despite all the guesses, it doesn't sound like anyone has any reliable intel as to whether this coach will immediately take any teams and, if so, in which age group(s).

He is not screwing his players. Ask the club why they took his 06 team from him after winning the National Title and regulated him to coaching the younger age groups? They screwed the players and parents not him.

Lol. My kids have played competitive soccer for years and I don't remember ever seeing in the fine print of my contract that we were guaranteed a particular coach for the duration of the season, as much as we'd all like to assume that will be the case. Life happens. People move. People get better opportunities. It's a job for the coaches and a business for the clubs. Players can follow coaches who leave mid-season if they want to, but I wouldn't expect them to be guaranteed spots on the roster or scholarships by any stretch of the imagination. Plus, despite all the guesses, it doesn't sound like anyone has any reliable intel as to whether this coach will immediately take any teams and, if so, in which age group(s).
Since Club Soccer is year round now, this is the best time to do it, beginning of a season before roster freeze.

I don't have any details, but I'm sure he'll be coaching some teams, probably in the middle age groups somewhere (9v9 to the first couple of 11v11 years).

At Albion, MW always coached the u14 girls and younger. Maybe expect the same at Sharks.

Yep we had 3 for our ECRL team last year :)

Back