Discovery League- "We've created a monster!!!"

Discovery is a good idea for older age groups. I don’t understand why they have it for 7th graders.
ECNL should be a league on their own. ECRL and flight 1 discovery should be combined as a discovery starting in 8th grade/9th grade.
I don’t understand people complaining about parking fees $20 or less. These are the same people that spend $100 a week in Starbucks and don’t think it’s expensive.
Those that complain about club, league and parking fees don't have a kid in competitive dance.

Discovery is a good idea for older age groups. I don’t understand why they have it for 7th graders.
ECNL should be a league on their own. ECRL and flight 1 discovery should be combined as a discovery starting in 8th grade/9th grade.
I don’t understand people complaining about parking fees $20 or less. These are the same people that spend $100 a week in Starbucks and don’t think it’s expensive.

Can’t argue much with that. Totally true about the Starbucks thing, lol. I used to think soccer was expensive till my daughter started playing club volleyball, FLM. To start with Every club charges for tryouts (imagine how that would fly on here ) then your looking at an average of about $5,000+ for the year, not including uniforms or travel of course. And forget about $12 parking, your talking about $15-$20 at every single venue, not just the 2-3 we have in soccer. Then there’s an entry fee of anywhere from $7-$15 again at Every venue. So a family of 5 is in the hole $65 just to get in the door with watch one kid play. Then of course add on your there all day and no outside food allowed so your stuck eating the expensive food there and the way VB tournaments work you don’t have time to leave and eat. So ya I don’t have too many complaints about the cost of soccer in comparison.

You mean like this? Doesn't look too expensive. Aside from the pleather parachute pants
Those outfits are pre-rhinestone. Come talk to me when they've been rhinestoned.

I may actually get a raise when my child goes to college, even out of state. (of course, a 529 doesn't cover competitive dance)

My wife danced for 20 years, I can honestly say I was happy when my daughter hated it after her first and only competition.
You dodged a bullet financially. I can't really complain because my daughter loves it and although there aren't any material dance scholarships for college, if the dance team is under the athletic department she will get most of the perks and swag that Div 1 college athletes get.

One of The Ideas behind Discovery was to have all the top teams at one location and create a showcase type of event/atmosphere making it easier for college coaches ect. So not too many places that can accommodate that.

Another myth and/or marketing gimmick. Top teams in disco and college coaches going out of there way to attend league games to places like Norco during their busy play season.

The state cup gimmick is another funny one, let's have a league cup charge $700 and call that a state cup.

Club sports are a bubble, very few people where I'm from are going to drive 100+ miles to Norco RT or Oside, spend 5-6 hours, pay for gas, parking, etc for a single game and repeat that 14x.

The only players being discovered are the ones already in club soccer, the rest can't afford the folly of a the discovery League two counties past where they reside.

At least the league fee was reduced but if that includes a mandatory +700 for league cup not so much. Overcharging the rest of the league divisions to subsidized Discovery may not be too cool for those people if they knew.

Switching to usclub is a good move although all the other us leagues had more localized play, home games, and ways to enter the regionals and earn or compete for the playoffs already.

Those outfits are pre-rhinestone. Come talk to me when they've been rhinestoned.

I may actually get a raise when my child goes to college, even out of state. (of course, a 529 doesn't cover competitive dance)

You dodged a bullet financially. I can't really complain because my daughter loves it and although there aren't any material dance scholarships for college, if the dance team is under the athletic department she will get most of the perks and swag that Div 1 college athletes get.
You got it. Soccer dads are weak. Those dudes no absolutely nothing about being the only dad filling in during a hair, makeup, or fitting session either.

That I did. How do you deal with the insane amount of glitter? I feel like I'm still finding that stuff everywhere and it's been six years!

Serious question for parents - Was anyone asking for something like Discovery league? What was wrong with 1/2 home and 1/2 away games? What was wrong with flight 1,2,3? Are we putting out solutions for problems that don't really exist? Is this supposed to be a way for players that don't play for an ECNL club to get exposure? If that is the case- Why do ECNL clubs get to enter their 3rd/4th tier teams in this league?

Funny thing is that soccer team tactics are super easy for my kid because she’s been on a dance team since she was 5. Transference, I guess.
My wife and I loved watching her dance and she look so cute. However, she did not like it at all. It was the moms that got to her Dre.

That I did. How do you deal with the insane amount of glitter? I feel like I'm still finding that stuff everywhere and it's been six years!
Not a ton a glitter at my daughter's studio, more about the rhinestone's and those are like having quarter's laying around...they get picked up quickly.

You got it. Soccer dads are weak. Those dudes no absolutely nothing about being the only dad filling in during a hair, makeup, or fitting session either.
Major respect for you MacDre. Our family is divide an conquer. My wife does dance with my daughter and I do soccer with my son. Regardless, there is no way my wife and daughter would allow me to get anywhere near my daughter's hair and makeup. My only responsibility is getting her Dance Duffel (aka garment rack in bag) down from the attic before competitions.

Another myth and/or marketing gimmick. Top teams in disco and college coaches going out of there way to attend league games to places like Norco during their busy play season.

The state cup gimmick is another funny one, let's have a league cup charge $700 and call that a state cup.
Spot on.

Serious question for parents - Was anyone asking for something like Discovery league? What was wrong with 1/2 home and 1/2 away games? What was wrong with flight 1,2,3? Are we putting out solutions for problems that don't really exist? Is this supposed to be a way for players that don't play for an ECNL club to get exposure? If that is the case- Why do ECNL clubs get to enter their 3rd/4th tier teams in this league?
Discovery was intended for small clubs that aren't able to get into MLS NEXT or ECNL to have a top league for college scouting. Like all intended good things, the big clubs come in with their 3rd and 4th teams to ruin it for the small clubs. Then they are forcing it on younger groups like 6/7/8th graders now too because Big Clubs want to sell it to the parents of the 3rd teams that they have been developing their flight 3 teams and they are no longer JUST flight 1/2/3. 2008 and 2009s playing Discovery is not worth the drive. Discovery should not allow teams in unless they are playing successfully in flight 1 summer tournaments. Hopefully, all this talk of consolidating down to good teams only for next season will happen for the small clubs. If not, the jump back to CSL and other leagues will happen. Centralization was intended to allow college scouts to come and see these smaller clubs with great teams. They also need to rotate locations in order to make the drive easier for teams and local college scouts.

As for state cup, it's not a requirement. The additional $700 for state cup is not a requirement. Teams can choose to join state cup or not.

Discovery was intended for small clubs that aren't able to get into MLS NEXT or ECNL to have a top league for college scouting. Like all intended good things, the big clubs come in with their 3rd and 4th teams to ruin it for the small clubs. Then they are forcing it on younger groups like 6/7/8th graders now too because Big Clubs want to sell it to the parents of the 3rd teams that they have been developing their flight 3 teams and they are no longer JUST flight 1/2/3. 2008 and 2009s playing Discovery is not worth the drive. Discovery should not allow teams in unless they are playing successfully in flight 1 summer tournaments. Hopefully, all this talk of consolidating down to good teams only for next season will happen for the small clubs. If not, the jump back to CSL and other leagues will happen. Centralization was intended to allow college scouts to come and see these smaller clubs with great teams. They also need to rotate locations in order to make the drive easier for teams and local college scouts.

As for state cup, it's not a requirement. The additional $700 for state cup is not a requirement. Teams can choose to join state cup or not.

This is 100% true. There are 3rd teams in discovery that don't even belong in Flight 1. The big clubs don't really develop players, they recruit them...more parents need to understand that and stop chasing a dream with the 3rd and 4th teams...its a mirage.

One of the requirements to apply for Discovery SHOULD BE (Edited from my original post) is that your team applies to play in the top flight of any tournaments they enter. You don't necessarily need to win or even do all that well. But if your team is going to sandbag in the 2nd (or lower) tier of a tournament- your team shouldn't be applying for the top division in this league.

Last edited:
One of the requirements to apply for Discovery is that your team applies to play in the top flight of any tournaments they enter. You don't necessarily need to win or even do all that well. But if your team is going to sandbag in the 2nd (or lower) tier of a tournament- your team shouldn't be applying for the top division in this league.
It appears the league is not enforcing such rule regarding top flight.
Where should the teams sandbagging 2nd tiers be playing? (a real question, not mocking)

Not a ton a glitter at my daughter's studio, more about the rhinestone's and those are like having quarter's laying around...they get picked up quickly.

Major respect for you MacDre. Our family is divide an conquer. My wife does dance with my daughter and I do soccer with my son. Regardless, there is no way my wife and daughter would allow me to get anywhere near my daughter's hair and makeup. My only responsibility is getting her Dance Duffel (aka garment rack in bag) down from the attic before competitions.
The good life you got bro. My son hated the coaches that yelled and was turned off at early age from soccer and baseball. HS football he loved and was first team all league.

Back