Discovery League- "We've created a monster!!!"

Looks like SoCal League (SCDSL) has posted preliminary team assignments for the Fall season.

Starting with the 06 age group and older- It appears that everyone thinks they belong in the Discovery Division.

Just my 2 cents- But I think the league needs to tell clubs "you can only 1 have team per age group play Discovery. Decide which one it is. The other can play Flight 1."

I'm sure there will be some movement before the fall season kicks off.

Looks like SoCal League (SCDSL) has posted preliminary team assignments for the Fall season.

Starting with the 06 age group and older- It appears that everyone thinks they belong in the Discovery Division.

Just my 2 cents- But I think the league needs to tell clubs "you can only 1 have team per age group play Discovery. Decide which one it is. The other can play Flight 1."

I'm sure there will be some movement before the fall season kicks off.

Yes I saw 32 teams in 06b age group in discovery . No way their are 32 top level teams . It’s pretty ridiculous everyone gets a trophy or say they play top flight .

Why are teams listed in discovery that have never beaten a flight one team and were average at flight two the year before? Very strange.
Its an error/work in progress. They have no schedules up for the flights. There will be movement I am sure

It's also shocking how many more boys teams there are than girls teams on that list (not necessarily discovery- Just in general)

Yes I saw 32 teams in 06b age group in discovery . No way their are 32 top level teams . It’s pretty ridiculous everyone gets a trophy or say they play top flight .
Kind of like all those clubs and teams playing in other leagues like ECNL, GA, ECRL, DPL, MLS Next that are in those leagues just to say they play in a top league. Coming out of COVID how is anyone supposed to know how their teams will fare during the season so why not take a chance? The majority of those teams would be lower level ECNL, most ECRL, most DPL, most of the EA and some of the MLS Next teams. Just because the don't have a fancy league title to claim being a part of doesn't mean that the teams can't beat those others so why not give it a try post-COVID and let it be decided on the field rather than in a board room?

So the 10,000th best soccer player in socal can finally make it to flight 1.
Just like many of the players (even lower than the 10,000the best player) that don't belong playing in all of those other leagues. So they can finally say they made it to one of the ABC leagues. What does it matter? At least the players will be out playing again and we can all enjoy being at their games again. People lose site so easily of what really matters.

Kind of like all those clubs and teams playing in other leagues like ECNL, GA, ECRL, DPL, MLS Next that are in those leagues just to say they play in a top league. Coming out of COVID how is anyone supposed to know how their teams will fare during the season so why not take a chance? The majority of those teams would be lower level ECNL, most ECRL, most DPL, most of the EA and some of the MLS Next teams. Just because the don't have a fancy league title to claim being a part of doesn't mean that the teams can't beat those others so why not give it a try post-COVID and let it be decided on the field rather than in a board room?

problem is at least in coast you have to earn your promotion you can’t just say hey I belong here .

problem is at least in coast you have to earn your promotion you can’t just say hey I belong here .
Yes, but parents will blame the league if their child quits because their team isn't promoted. We live in a culture that tries to pretend every child is equivalent on all levels rather than accepting and being proud of their differences and qualities. Club DOCs use this to make money with their 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th teams at older age groups in big clubs. If your child is in the 3rd team after U14, very little chance the child will get a college scholarship no matter what the DOC or coach says. If they are playing for exercise, that's awesome and stop worrying about what flight they are playing in.

You realize that the Discovery NPL has promotion and relegation too right?
So you are saying all the 32 teams were promoted in the 06 b division because I know for a fact that there are teams that were middle of the pack gold team not premiere who are discovery teams now that they moved over leagues and also 3rd or 4th place teams flight one that got promoted to discovery .

Couple thoughts/things on this topic. The first being that Discovery is a promotion/relegation Division but because of covid and the unusual schedule they decided not to relegate anyone down from last season so that's 4-5 extra teams that are being allowed to stay in. On that same note because of covid they obviously felt it a little harder to decide/decipher who deserves to move up considering many teams records and play schedules were gonna vary so much. i.e a 2021 state/national cup deep run isn't quite worth the value it was in past years and same for many other usually renown tourneys. Throw in the fact that the league just added close to 40 new clubs so trying to sift through all those teams and leagues would create some issues trying to compare. To me they're taking the fair and rational approach which is pretty simple, if you think you belong have at it and were gonna relegate as many as half of you after this season if need be. It also came with a caveat of a threat which was if you sign up and get smashed cause you don't belong it wont be taken lightly. The balance will be right in the universe when this dust settles you'll see whos who.

All about the $$$ and selling to parents.

Discover that buying a spot into discovery is what went down.

The premium fees for the bracket might be worth as long you don't mind all road games at Silverlakes or the Oside venue. Lots of paid parking fees, driving ever week if your not local to those places but that's "travel" soccer for you.

Maybe in the following years discovery npl will be more selective or have a committee look at the applications, for now it's DOC submitted, pay more $ to get in and see what happens. Could call it flight 1 and it would be same but "flight 1" just doesn't sell like it used to.

Which begs the question - Why are there multiple levels of "Flight 1" - Just rename them Flight 1,2,3. Take the lipstick off of the pig and call it what it is.
Just had this debate the other day. I don't think its quite that simple. Example If you took the top handful of what i guess would be Discovery teams and put them against or compared to the bottom handful of Flight 2 teams (that's assuming we just throw all of Flight 3 back into Rec) I think there's about a 20 Goal differential and more than 1 level in between those 2 groups which is what would be separating them in your plan.

Back