D1 college soccer under threat

Illuminati is alive?LOL! Fastest Vaccine took 4 years! Not so sure a vaccine will be available in 2021.
No faith in Astra-Zeneca or Moderna? I believe we'll have a vaccine by June 2021 or earlier that offers at least enough protection that it is used. China is already "beta testing" (my phrase, not theirs) on their military and have a couple other vaccines in Phase III.

A vaccine in development by the British-Swedish company AstraZeneca and the University of Oxford is based on a chimpanzee adenovirus called ChAdOx1. The vaccine is in a Phase II/III trial in England and Phase III trials in Brazil and South Africa. The project may deliver emergency vaccines by October. In June, AstraZeneca said their total manufacturing capacity stands at two billion doses.

Moderna’s vaccine dazzled the stock market in May with Phase I data on just eight people, only to see its stock price drop when experts had a lukewarm reaction to the results. The vaccine uses messenger RNA (mRNA for short) to produce viral proteins. Phase III trials are set to begin July 27, and the company hopes to have vaccine doses ready by early 2021.

I was thinking she could play in the NWSL and possibly finish taking classes via zoom like most college students will most likely do this upcoming fall.

If the school continues to give her athlete status when she leaves. Wouldn't she make more $ as the #1 pick in next year's draft? As if any of them make any money... but she's an endorsement's dream.

It does not exist in a vacuum. Postponing a season screws a lot of things up in terms of financial promises to recruits and enrolled players. Even if the ncaa permits bloated rosters for 2021, not every dept can afford the increases scholarships. And what if you have a senior who is on a full ride who is expected to graduate and you have a full ride frosh coming in - the financial commitment matches. But if the Sr comes back, what happens to that 21 frosh? If the player is that good, maybe nothing changes but for the many who are on partials, it means less money for them.

I’m not arguing against scrapping the season (it would suck but if it is necessary for safety, so be it), just pointing out that there are so many moving parts. Thwy will do all they can to get some season in as long as there is football. If no football, no sports.

When the season is canceled or cut short and the revenue stream is damaged by a loss of enrollment (tuition) or football dollars I expect the following to occur:

1) good number of non revenue sports will be cut
2) Asst coaches and admin staff pinks slips
3) head coach furloughes
4) a reduction of scholarships to effect the class on 2021 and beyond

When the season is canceled or cut short and the revenue stream is damaged by a loss of enrollment (tuition) or football dollars I expect the following to occur:

1) good number of non revenue sports will be cut
2) Asst coaches and admin staff pinks slips
3) head coach furloughes
4) a reduction of scholarships to effect the class on 2021 and beyond
Let's not go there yet. That would be a massive cluster F

If the school continues to give her athlete status when she leaves. Wouldn't she make more $ as the #1 pick in next year's draft? As if any of them make any money... but she's an endorsement's dream.
I’ve helped a couple non-athletes get into Stanford and they both received free tuition because their family income fell below a certain level. Maybe Macario can qualify via family income for free tuition?

I’ve helped a couple non-athletes get into Stanford and they both received free tuition because their family income fell below a certain level. Maybe Macario can qualify via family income for free tuition?
I thought I read her parents are doctors.

No faith in Astra-Zeneca or Moderna? I believe we'll have a vaccine by June 2021 or earlier that offers at least enough protection that it is used. China is already "beta testing" (my phrase, not theirs) on their military and have a couple other vaccines in Phase III.

A vaccine in development by the British-Swedish company AstraZeneca and the University of Oxford is based on a chimpanzee adenovirus called ChAdOx1. The vaccine is in a Phase II/III trial in England and Phase III trials in Brazil and South Africa. The project may deliver emergency vaccines by October. In June, AstraZeneca said their total manufacturing capacity stands at two billion doses.

Moderna’s vaccine dazzled the stock market in May with Phase I data on just eight people, only to see its stock price drop when experts had a lukewarm reaction to the results. The vaccine uses messenger RNA (mRNA for short) to produce viral proteins. Phase III trials are set to begin July 27, and the company hopes to have vaccine doses ready by early 2021.
Don’t forget about antivirals. There are several in clinical trials right now that could potentially work to prevent the virus post-exposure. Someone you were exposed to tested positive for COVID-19? Take an antiviral to prevent the virus from taking hold. The antivirals in clinical trials were approved for other viruses so have already gone through the safety phase. They started testing an inhaled version of Remdesivir July 7th.

I thought I read her parents are doctors.
I recall reading her mom is a doctor and the family breadwinner. If I remember the article I read correctly, I think her dad was/is a stay at home dad that accompanied Macario and her older brother to the USA. I’m not sure, but I don’t think most doctors in Brazil make a lot of money. I know many doctors in TJ make about what a person working at Wal-Mart full time in the US makes. There are some doctors such as plastic surgeons that make much more but they are outliers.

I recall reading her mom is a doctor and the family breadwinner. If I remember the article I read correctly, I think her dad was/is a stay at home dad that accompanied Macario and her older brother to the USA. I’m not sure, but I don’t think most doctors in Brazil make a lot of money. I know many doctors in TJ make about what a person working at Wal-Mart full time in the US makes. There are some doctors such as plastic surgeons that make much more but they are outliers.

Jose is a nice guy and yes he did move to the US with his kids while mom remained in Brazil.

Jose is a nice guy and yes he did move to the US with his kids while mom remained in Brazil.
Hey Maps, how long is your Unicorn going to play pro ball? I think young, top top players like SS, AS, TT and YM might just have to go pro out of high school next year and the year after. I just hired one of the premier coaches in Socal to take my goat to the highest elite world class there is. I'm hoping she can hang and maybe try and score on your Unicorn in two years. That is my new dream for her......lol. The other goal is to have my Rocket become the veteran I know she can be and mentor Dre's dd and of course Luis's dd when they come up.

Don’t forget about antivirals. There are several in clinical trials right now that could potentially work to prevent the virus post-exposure. Someone you were exposed to tested positive for COVID-19? Take an antiviral to prevent the virus from taking hold. The antivirals in clinical trials were approved for other viruses so have already gone through the safety phase. They started testing an inhaled version of Remdesivir July 7th.
Nice. You need to put this on "The Good News" thread with the other 200+ pages of "Good News" ;-)

Must be nice to not have to pay for something because you didn't work hard enough to make the money.

Must be nice to not have to pay for something because you didn't work hard enough to make the money.
Many hard working families from all walks of life get free tuition at Stanford and the Ivies. So, I don’t understand your point. Please elaborate.
How is this any different than an athletic scholarship?

Many hard working families from all walks of life get free tuition at Stanford and the Ivies. So, I don’t understand your point. Please elaborate.
How is this any different than an athletic scholarship?

A shorthand definition an Ivy League college (including pretend "Ivies") is that if a student is good enough to get in, the college will make sure the student and family can afford it.

Illuminati is alive?LOL! Fastest Vaccine took 4 years! Not so sure a vaccine will be available in 2021.
Agree with you on this. However, there is one big difference between development of vaccines in the past and now. A lot of the delays for previous vaccines had to do with government red tape not the actual trials. It might be possible to cut off a year or two from development. In addition, every major vaccine producing company in the world is working on this. Also, some biotech companies are trying a different approach using current drugs to "trick" a persons antibodies into attacking the covid virus, some interesting things going on. We need an effective treatment and vaccine before we can gain some semblance of normalcy. Let's hope it is sooner rather than later.

Back