College Entrance Scam includes former Yale Women's Soccer Coach

We're going through the college process with my Senior daughter, not a soccer player, and if I had an extra $200,000 laying around I might consider the back door approach. Seriously though the whole college process has become such a contrived process, particularly in California. Kudos to any kid that can get into a top notch school without any outside professional consulting on essays and tests. My daughter has a 4.6/4.0 with a heavy load of AP and honors classes with a decent extracurricular resume; however, she hasn't cured cancer, founded a woke startup or grown up in a grass hut raised by hyenas. It's highly unlikely she will get into Berkeley, UCLA or even UCSB.

I don't condone anything that the Operation Varsity Blues parents did but our University admissions system is FUBAR'ed. And don't get me started on the cost of a college education.

At the end of the day, I'm a firm believer that it doesn't matter where you go to school, other than maybe your first job. It's just frustrating to see your child work so hard and get great results in their classes, yet have that be not enough.
Can I buy .3 from your dd 4.6? $10,000 for every point? 4.6 is insane and super impressive. My dd is following an old teamate who starts for a P5 program. She just shared her schedule for this week and it made my dd see the truth. This girl had 4.7 and a half full ride for grades and half in soccer.

Is she trying to get into computer or electrical engineering? 4.6 is certainly higher than the average profile of an incoming freshman at UCSB.
No. Hopefully your right although she isn't dying to go to UCSB. I just have to laugh because when I was going to college UCSB was the fall back, party school. Its now rated 28th by US News and World Report.

We're going through the college process with my Senior daughter, not a soccer player, and if I had an extra $200,000 laying around I might consider the back door approach. Seriously though the whole college process has become such a contrived process, particularly in California. Kudos to any kid that can get into a top notch school without any outside professional consulting on essays and tests. My daughter has a 4.6/4.0 with a heavy load of AP and honors classes with a decent extracurricular resume; however, she hasn't cured cancer, founded a woke startup or grown up in a grass hut raised by hyenas. It's highly unlikely she will get into Berkeley, UCLA or even UCSB.

I don't condone anything that the Operation Varsity Blues parents did but our University admissions system is FUBAR'ed. And don't get me started on the cost of a college education.

At the end of the day, I'm a firm believer that it doesn't matter where you go to school, other than maybe your first job. It's just frustrating to see your child work so hard and get great results in their classes, yet have that be not enough.

Yeah for regular non Athletics definitely more difficult to get in.

At UCLA for Athletics you can have a 3.5 and get in even if you don't meet all the NCAA requirements, with the Auto Covid-19 waviers for 21-23 applicants that only need 13 of the required 16 core classes classes with a 2.8gpa to get NCCA qualified.

At UCSB even easier coaches pre-read his qualifications and they asigneed a athletic advisor to him to help with the process. Ultimately decided to go elsewhere due to campus life, coaching staff, and the desire to have more opportunities for minutes as a freshman or sophomore, and a better less tempting housing environment.

Guess we where fortunate that all our students were very good writers with good gpa's and scores that where only about average but they where accepted to all the university they really wanted to attend and just had to narrow down the choices and pick one. Early applications help, admission and qualifications sent help. My students did all the work and I wasn't involved much besides some questions about paperwork. Didn't seem any different vs anything else govt ran to them and I didn't hear too many rumblings.

Where you go can matter from a network, connections, facilities, or professors standpoint. USC has some great alumni, donors, facilities and programs for certain majors that would be difficult to match with industry experience compared to some places. Without FA most people just can't afford to attend but if you do like our neighborhood does can be great.

Specialized field but she already got a good internship her freshman year and now is working part time in her chosen field of study.

Hope things work out for your daughter and she can always transfer in later which can be easier for admissions.

Changing your life and going away to college is big step and it's not easy finding the right match, 2 out of the 3bof ours took much longer to decide vs what they thought originally but where happy on the end the went over everything including multiple on site history before making the decisions. We didn't even know until it was already done,. Oh by the way I accepted and will be attending xyz during a causal conversation or dinner can come as a surprise.

No. Hopefully your right although she isn't dying to go to UCSB. I just have to laugh because when I was going to college UCSB was the fall back, party school. Its now rated 28th by US News and World Report.
Would you rather visit her at UCSB or LA/Berkeley? A weekend getaway to Santa Barbara while getting credit for being loving parents. Might want to persuade her a little to picking the correct school since undergrad isn't THAT important.

Would you rather visit her at UCSB or LA/Berkeley? A weekend getaway to Santa Barbara while getting credit for being loving parents. Might want to persuade her a little to picking the correct school since undergrad isn't THAT important.
She wants to be on the dance/pom team and on the field on gameday Saturday's, which she can't do at UCSB.

FWIW, your local UCSD is #15 in the latest Forbes ranking ahead of Georgetown, Brown, and John Hopkins among others. Forbes changed the ranking methodology this year. Instead of identifying the strongest academic schools, they added more emphasis on return on investment, how quickly the debt is paid off after graduation, etc. Many public schools improved in rankings while private schools dropped as a result.

Applying to these prestige but expensive schools is somewhat like club soccer. Do everything you can to get on the best team possible and worry about the ROI later. :)

FWIW, your local UCSD is #15 in the latest Forbes ranking ahead of Georgetown, Brown, and John Hopkins among others. Forbes changed the ranking methodology this year. Instead of identifying the strongest academic schools, they added more emphasis on return on investment, how quickly the debt is paid off after graduation, etc. Many public schools improved in rankings while private schools dropped as a result.

Applying to these prestige but expensive schools is somewhat like club soccer. Do everything you can to get on the best team possible and worry about the ROI later. :)

That ranking is hot garbage on its face. But if you don't like it then wait 'til next year when they change the formula again to generate buzz.

That ranking is hot garbage on its face. But if you don't like it then wait 'til next year when they change the formula again to generate buzz.

Dependent on what your field of study might be or the Colleges of study. Campus, environment and fellow students also make a significant difference.

If you're into technology, engineering or socal issues maybe Berkeley is your cup of tea?

Liberal arts outside the city maybe Wellesley College if the easy coast is your thing?

ranking are like opinions everybody has something different they look at.

Dependent on what your field of study might be or the Colleges of study. Campus, environment and fellow students also make a significant difference.

If you're into technology, engineering or socal issues maybe Berkeley is your cup of tea?

Liberal arts outside the city maybe Wellesley College if the easy coast is your thing?

ranking are like opinions everybody has something different they look at.

I agree. With that in mind, we know exactly how much schools cost and we can decide if that is important to us individually. But, to say Berkeley is the best school in the nation because it provides ONLY CALIFORNIANS severely discounted tuition is idiotic. This is the ranking I would create for my kid, but it isn't worth anything for my brother's kid out of state.

There was a school a while back that created its own ranking that said the number of books in the library and number of chairs in the library was an important factor. Guess which school was number 1 on that ranking.

Varsity Blues’ mastermind & middleman Rick Singer made $28 million in scam, auditor says. TGIFF and this business model of helping a rich buddy or neighbor get their dd or ds into Big U and tell everyone their kids great success of playing a sport they never played before, is going to finally end. I'm truly sad for all the hard working soccer players over the years ((torn ACLs, concussions, broken legs, broken nose, broken wrist) and let's also not forget all the mental abuse "some" girls have taken from asshole men who should NEVER be coaching females. I think some of these so called men have issues with women from their youth. I'm pissed because some girls got left out of the opportunities because someone else got the spot because dad or mom have some connections and some extra money to buy the spot. This runs very deep my friends. Clean up with bleach takes time.

Varsity Blues’ mastermind & middleman Rick Singer made $28 million in scam, auditor says. TGIFF and this business model of helping a rich buddy or neighbor get their dd or ds into Big U and tell everyone their kids great success of playing a sport they never played before, is going to finally end. I'm truly sad for all the hard working soccer players over the years ((torn ACLs, concussions, broken legs, broken nose, broken wrist) and let's also not forget all the mental abuse "some" girls have taken from asshole men who should NEVER be coaching females. I think some of these so called men have issues with women from their youth. I'm pissed because some girls got left out of the opportunities because someone else got the spot because dad or mom have some connections and some extra money to buy the spot. This runs very deep my friends. Clean up with bleach takes time.
Well lets not get too crazy. Most of those varsity blues players never even saw the practice venue, and were listed at the back end of an overly large roster. Its not like those programs were gonna take on players legitimately for those spots.

Well lets not get too crazy. Most of those varsity blues players never even saw the practice venue, and were listed at the back end of an overly large roster. Its not like those programs were gonna take on players legitimately for those spots.
super cell, good morning. You know what dude, this whole thing and I mean the whole thing is a pile of something. TGIFF and the LIGHT is shinning through the cheating and the mental abuse these girls have been going through. Look at the Pro League and the news about how some men coaches have been treating the females. The girls are starting to feel strong to speak up and this is just the begginning. My dd friend posted the other day she 1 hour of free time of playing big time P5 and she chooses to take a nap. 2022 is the year of the woman. Let's not sweep this under the rug either bro. Let's pull that rug out and let's take a look at ALL of it and get all the mold and cockroaches out and then lay new carpet for everyone to have EQUAL ACCESS based on MERIT not how much money your willing to pay for a spot. Again, maybe they should just sell the spot to help raise money. Just be honest about it.

She wants to be on the dance/pom team and on the field on gameday Saturday's, which she can't do at UCSB.
Maybe she can be a trailblazer at UCSB and get a dance/pom team out on game days. Doesn't have to be American Football, why not do it for a girl's soccer or something else.

He was the fall guy for AC

"Isackson did not play competitive soccer before matriculating at UCLA, prosecutors say, and yet for an entire season she was listed as a midfielder on the roster of a team that finished the 2017 season as runner-up to national champion Stanford. Her profile on a Pac-12 website says she made no appearances and played no minutes during the season"

When she was admitted as a recruited soccer player in June 2016, a UCLA student-athlete admissions committee required she play on the team for at least one year, the indictment says.

Salcedo sent the girl’s transcript and test scores to an unnamed UCLA women’s soccer coach, according to the indictment. About a month later, the “UCLA Student-Athlete Admissions Committee” approved Isackson for admittance as a recruited non-scholarship athlete, the indictment says.

The unnamed womens soccer coach is AC's responsibility and they recommend she be admitted, she did not play one year as required but was listed on the roster for the entire season.

Tamberg blamed Jorge Salcedo, UCLA’s men’s soccer coach, for allegedly submitting a “falsified soccer profile”. If that's not scapegoating don't know what is?
Wait what? Salcedo arranged for the fake profile and took the bribe money. How is he a scapegoat. He set this whole charade in motion, and he committed a crime. I do not know the women's coach's involvment, but to say Salcedo is a scapegoat when he is the one who set it in motion and benefitted from it, is absurd. What did the women's coach or program gain here? Looks more like they did Salcedo a favor (likely not knowing he was being paid handsomely for it).

Jorge Salcedo, the former UCLA soccer coach charged with endorsing the fraudulent admission of two students for $200,000 in bribes

Wait what? Salcedo arranged for the fake profile and took the bribe money. How is he a scapegoat. He set this whole charade in motion, and he committed a crime. I do not know the women's coach's involvment, but to say Salcedo is a scapegoat when he is the one who set it in motion and benefitted from it, is absurd. What did the women's coach or program gain here? Looks more like they did Salcedo a favor (likely not knowing he was being paid handsomely for it).

Jorge Salcedo, the former UCLA soccer coach charged with endorsing the fraudulent admission of two students for $200,000 in bribes

Yeah your vainly attempting to put all the blame on JS which everyone knows is not the case.

Yes he was part of the scheme and was convicted but that doesn't excuse the women's program or the the head coach for what they permitted to happen, you can't blame or scape goat somebody else for what you allowed to happen and approved a ghost player that never saw the field for 1 year.

"UCLA’s own internal documents reveal that, for many years, its Athletic Department has facilitated the admission of unqualified applicants — students who do not meet UCLA’s rigorous academic or athletics standards — through the student-athlete admissions process in exchange for huge ‘donations’ by the students’ wealthy parents,” the motion said.

Do you have any idea what it takes to get a player NCCA approved, put on a roster, given a uniform, appear in the team photos,. About 50 different things, waviers, sign-offs, compliance review all of which have to happen with the approval of the head coach and others.

Don't be navie in thinking creating a fake programs that is vastly underwhelming compared to any other UCLA player is anything but 1 step in 50 that's required to roster a player. Any body that read that profile knew it didn't qualify that player to be on the UCLA squad, doesn't take much too due diligence to figure that out which obviously didn't happen not to mention all the other things this player was approved for by the women's coaching staff and head coach.

Nothing excuses what JC did but at least he admitted what he did was wrong and accepted punishment for taking the bribes due to what he called being in debt from a 2m house that he couldn't afford.

"UCLA’s own internal documents reveal that, for many years, its Athletic Department has facilitated the admission of unqualified applicants — students who do not meet UCLA’s rigorous academic or athletics standards — through the student-athlete admissions process in exchange for huge ‘donations’ by the students’ wealthy parents,” the motion said.

Do you have any idea what it takes to get a player NCCA approved, put on a roster, given a uniform, appear in the team photos,. About 50 different things, waviers, sign-offs, compliance review all of which have to happen with the approval of the head coach and others.

Don't be navie in thinking creating a fake programs that is vastly underwhelming compared to any other UCLA player is anything but 1 step in 50 that's required to roster a player. Any body that read that profile knew it didn't qualify that player to be on the UCLA squad, doesn't take much too due diligence to figure that out which obviously didn't happen or not to mention all the other things this player was approved for by the women's coaching staff and head coach.

Nothing excuses what JC did but at least he admitted what he did was wrong and accepted punishment for taking the bribes due to what he called being in debt from a 2m house that he couldn't afford.
This is deep stuff man. I tell everyone I know to confess if a confession is warranted. You will feel so much better and only then can true healing take place. I do appreciate JC for coming clean and shedding light on all this. Mr. Wilson still thinks his boy was a stud water polo player at SC and is on trial as we speak.

Yes, I am aware of what it takes for a freshman to be eligible to compete. But, there is zero indication that she was truly rostered beyond showing up on the media guide and website. She never entered a game. I highly doubt they even ran her through compliance. Only the SID would have had to list her on those two sites. You act like she played a game for christ sake.

I am not excusing the women's staff. But I am also not judging them for what we do not know.

What we do know is that Salcedo took hundreds of thousands of dollars in bribes. So he is a scumbag and a criminal. I really doubt that UCLA is covering up crimes from the Fed's for their womens soccer coach. Use a bit of common sense here.

Back