Coaching assignments 2024 /2025

seems to me that girls leave. At least that's what happening now. They accumulate younger and win and then get older and leave. The question is why? I think we know why for the 09 and 10's. The only older team that is any good right now is the 08's and they are coached by a coach that has youngers as well. 07's and 06/05 have the same coach that has no youngers. So I think we know what the answer is here.....
Have younger kids so no idea on the older ages...09's and 10's left bc of coaching? or something else?

08's have a coach with a younger team...what's the connection? sibling preferences or multiple scholarships?

regardless of boot ball something needs to be done about the Blues 2009 and 2010 ECNL teams before its too late. Both were in Virginia last year and the 09's will not even make the playoffs this year and the 10's are barely hanging on to a third place spot. The Blues need to stop the bleeding with their older teams. Being so dominate until these girls turn 13/14 and then having these teams fall apart is not a good look for the club and eventually these parents will realize that and not bring their stars to the younger teams. The 09's and the 10's had a really good squad last year going into Virginia. The 10's were the top team in the nation in defense and that was even after losing their USYNT Camp Invitee center mid during the second half of the season and the 09's had one of the best strikers in the age group another USYNT Camp Invitee.
Why are you here? Are you on the Blues? What’s your going ons about? Just out here for the rest of us? If your DD left - then move on. What else are you offering? Just negativity or ax to grind or lashing out or regret?

I've never understood this "boot ball" comment. So if the defense clears the ball up to get out of trouble or plays it 2 levels up because mids are not open that's boot ball? Or is the defenders supposed to go 1v1 if they don't have an immediate passing lane open? I see premier league players consistently playing it over the top. Please explain what boot ball means please because your implying its still happening at the 2009 and 2010 age groups as well. If you’re consistently just kicking it with no direction or care or intent on where it goes that's what I always thought boot ball was but no team would win at this level playing like that. I would agree some players just boot the ball up because they lack the skill to take the time to collect and make the correct decision but I feel those players are few and far between especially on these top blues teams.
From the outside playing Blues - it was always - we don’t play that brand of soccer - bootball. I don’t know if they play bootball but it was the general think that as these girls got older they lacked tactical skills. Maybe they started losing because of that. Maybe the girl that scored 5 goals a game at 13-14 isn’t and unhappy that the ball is not being driven to her feet. Just some view into it. I have nothing to say about the new coaching style or why some teams fall apart. But the comments here look to destroy a coaches reputation and that I find off putting since I come here to find good information - this just seems to have an agenda.
I've never understood this "boot ball" comment. So if the defense clears the ball up to get out of trouble or plays it 2 levels up because mids are not open that's boot ball? Or is the defenders supposed to go 1v1 if they don't have an immediate passing lane open? I see premier league players consistently playing it over the top. Please explain what boot ball means please because your implying its still happening at the 2009 and 2010 age groups as well. If your consistently just kicking it with no direction or care or intent on where it goes that's what I always thought boot ball was but no team would win at this level playing like that. I would agree some players just boot the ball up because they lack the skill to take the time to collect and make the correct decision but I feel those players are few and far between especially on these top blues teams.

and its usually the same club they came from in the first place.
Each club every year bleeds players some from the bottom some from the top chasing dreams.
Can we give a callout to 09 AZ Arsenal currently in first - changing it up for the same ole 3 Surf jumped to 2nd/ Koge- Blues (tied for 3rd)heading into playoffs.
Perhaps parents fold to easily - used to being on top - used to other teams not being strong enough and now they need to work harder !

From a bottom team it’s great to see and give us all renewed hope. Sharks biting and hungry for - try at 3rd as well.

From the outside playing Blues - it was always - we don’t play that brand of soccer - bootball. I don’t know if they play bootball but it was the general think that as these girls got older they lacked tactical skills. Maybe they started losing because of that. Maybe the girl that scored 5 goals a game at 13-14 isn’t and unhappy that the ball is not being driven to her feet. Just some view into it. I have nothing to say about the new coaching style or why some teams fall apart. But the comments here look to destroy a coaches reputation and that I find off putting since I come here to find good information - this just seems to have an agenda.
I think from a developmental point of view, it really doesn't promote calmness on the ball and speed of thought if you're taught from a young age to just clear it out or kick it down the field. You can always learn that later on. But trying to teach older players to be calm and confident on the ball is really tough if you don't do it early.

Each club every year bleeds players some from the bottom some from the top chasing dreams.
Can we give a callout to 09 AZ Arsenal currently in first - changing it up for the same ole 3 Surf jumped to 2nd/ Koge- Blues (tied for 3rd)heading into playoffs.
Perhaps parents fold to easily - used to being on top - used to other teams not being strong enough and now they need to work harder !

From a bottom team it’s great to see and give us all renewed hope. Sharks biting and hungry for - try at 3rd as well.
To be fair, that entire team left another club and came over to Arsenal. I will agree, nice to see them somewhere other than last place, but let's not give the club too many props for their success.

Looking at stats and their youngers dominate and the olders have a big drop off. Maybe the club is not adjusting and giving technical coaches enough resources to make the transition to 11v11 when you need to be a technical player as the 9/10 coach is definitely a technical highly respected coach. The club needs to do something as it’s happening again with 2 more younger teams getting into the olders bracket. I guess we can see what happens with their next batch of 11’s and 12’s.

Looking at stats and their youngers dominate and the olders have a big drop off. Maybe the club is not adjusting and giving technical coaches enough resources to make the transition to 11v11 when you need to be a technical player as the 9/10 coach is definitely a technical highly respected coach. The club needs to do something as it’s happening again with 2 more younger teams getting into the olders bracket. I guess we can see what happens with their next batch of 11’s and 12’s.

It's all relative. They are the #3 rated club in the country (out of #1012), and #2 club in the state (out of #179).

socalblues.jpg

They dominate from the youngest through 2011G, and then still have reasonably strong teams until 2007G.

socalblues2.png

Of course there is always room for anybody to improve, but there are > 1000 clubs in the US that would trade places with them in a minute.

I agree they need to figure something out over there - it’s a small club that may be stuck in the olden days of glory and needs to rewire to compete today with clubs that are becoming more dominant. But as for the 09s losing thier forward - I hear was a shock to the team because she was treated very well and she liked the coach. Its a classless act to leave girls on the team and parents who have invested time and money in a bind when recruiting for a replacement in-season is hard.
I feel bad for her - not a lesson to teach for a long shot at whatever the player and parents are looking for. Very misguided and very selfish. But that’s diva soccer for you. All me not team. I’d personally be happy without that energy on the field. I hear another team has an issue with the same diva mentality.
I teach my kid different. I have no false thoughts of a unicorn the making and unicorns in the making have teamship anyway … teach your children well. Respect, teamship and stick to it - ness. It’s a long road in life if you think you are deserving to screw other people over whenever it potentially rewards you.

Boot ball (aka direct play, playing like an EPL team) is very effective at the younger ages up until U13/U14. Blues are the master of boot ball, err, direct play and is the reason why they win at younger ages. But as players grow and become smarter direct play becomes a lot less effective...especially at 11v11 and against stronger teams. As people posted earlier, these crazy parents that were used to their kid dominating and scoring 2-3 goals every game are no longer able to do so as they get older.

Once U13/U14 rolls around a premium is placed on technical ability, tactical awareness and decision making...because everybody at that higher ECNL level is strong, fast and can defend. Clubs or teams that are playing good soccer (passing, combining, holding possession) are appealing to watch and draw players away from teams that are now desperately pumping the ball forward and not winning as much.

Boot ball (aka direct play, playing like an EPL team) is very effective at the younger ages up until U13/U14. Blues are the master of boot ball, err, direct play and is the reason why they win at younger ages. But as players grow and become smarter direct play becomes a lot less effective...especially at 11v11 and against stronger teams. As people posted earlier, these crazy parents that were used to their kid dominating and scoring 2-3 goals every game are no longer able to do so as they get older.

Once U13/U14 rolls around a premium is placed on technical ability, tactical awareness and decision making...because everybody at that higher ECNL level is strong, fast and can defend. Clubs or teams that are playing good soccer (passing, combining, holding possession) are appealing to watch and draw players away from teams that are now desperately pumping the ball forward and not winning as much.
Perfectly put

In fairness, I don't think Blues played boot ball more or less than any of the other teams. This is specific to the 2010 Rennie younger teams but I'm sure he coached his other u-littles the same. My opinion for why they always won was just because they has had overall more talent on their teams compared to others. Most other teams had a couple of good players, some average players and maybe even 1-2 who probably should be playing Low Flight 2 and even Flight 3 to fill the roster.

Looking at their peak:
Their 2017/18 team has at least 4 girls still playing ECNL (Blues x2 / Slammers x2).
Their 2018/19 team has at least 7 girls still playing ECNL (Blues x3 / Slammers x2 / Koge x2). They beat SDSC in penalties in the State Cup that year.
Their 2019/20 team also has at least 7 girls still playing ECNL (Blues x3 / Slammers x3 / Koge x1).

When you are playing 7v7 and 9v9 and most of your field players are ECNL-level and playing on a small field, you are going to beat other teams that only have a couple of ECNL-level players.

In fairness, I don't think Blues played boot ball more or less than any of the other teams. This is specific to the 2010 Rennie younger teams but I'm sure he coached his other u-littles the same. My opinion for why they always won was just because they has had overall more talent on their teams compared to others. Most other teams had a couple of good players, some average players and maybe even 1-2 who probably should be playing Low Flight 2 and even Flight 3 to fill the roster.

Looking at their peak:
Their 2017/18 team has at least 4 girls still playing ECNL (Blues x2 / Slammers x2).
Their 2018/19 team has at least 7 girls still playing ECNL (Blues x3 / Slammers x2 / Koge x2). They beat SDSC in penalties in the State Cup that year.
Their 2019/20 team also has at least 7 girls still playing ECNL (Blues x3 / Slammers x3 / Koge x1).

When you are playing 7v7 and 9v9 and most of your field players are ECNL-level and playing on a small field, you are going to beat other teams that only have a couple of ECNL-level players.
They still play long at the highest levels. Just played them a few weeks ago and it was dribble or go long. Crazy Larry not to long ago told me they played possession soccer.

It's all relative. They are the #3 rated club in the country (out of #1012), and #2 club in the state (out of #179).

View attachment 20594

They dominate from the youngest through 2011G, and then still have reasonably strong teams until 2007G.

View attachment 20595

Of course there is always room for anybody to improve, but there are > 1000 clubs in the US that would trade places with them in a minute.
In 2016, Blues was warned to comply with the new GDA and The US Soccer Training Centers or else. Tad was one of the Founders of ODP. Before the GDA, no one left the Blues unless they were cut. Now they leave for greener pasture and free soccer.

View attachment 20594

View attachment 20595

What app/website did you find the first image on?

Back