Club soccer stuff that drive you nuts...

Personally I'm double/triple nice to all goalies + goalie parents.
It is best to remember that the only people worse than goalies are parents of goalies. o_O. I say this mostly joking; goalies and their parents have to hear how every dad played goalie as a kid and wants to offer advice (not interested). Over time that seems to go away, but annoying when they are young. If you really want to support goalies, tell your kid to listen and do what the goalies are saying; they aren't talking just to talk.

I got one for you. Coaching your goalkeeper son during the entire match standing next to the goal. We didn't complain as the wasn't competitive.

I saw this once at a NL game in NC. Team from NY had a keeper dad that loudly complained about every little thing his DD did. I almost said something, but figured it would only make things worse and I am not sure I wouldn't have punched him. I still kind of wish I did.

My keeper is for sure a stronger person than I am. I was gifted noise cancelling headphones a year ago on mothers day and I now wear them to every game to drown out the parents on both sides who make comments about the kiddo.
One of the several reasons I think it's time for us to move on. When the parents are bullies, what hope is there for the kids? How is behavior from adults that would not be allowed in schools or even the workplace okay in the youth sports environment.

Personally I'm double/triple nice to all goalies + goalie parents. It's a very hard position to play and often kids get pressured into playing it.
Pressured because they generally aren't as good at 9 years old on the field so they are offered keeper to stay on the team. I know a keeper that pre-puberty wasn't as "athletic" (aka not as "fit") as the other u-littles and so was offered the position of keeper to remain on the team. Also a "scholarship" situation so they would be turning down the ability to play at the club level as well. Post puberty, his entire physique changed and he's now one of the more physically athletic players on the team. While this is great for him in the keeper position, he would LOVE to play as a field player. But alas, all those missed years of development he's behind his teammates in those skills. I would guess within a year he could catch up. But I don't see the club being willing to offer that. Another example of where club soccer fails the kids it's supposed to serve; placing kids in positions at an early age, especially keeper. I don't think we should allow designated keepers until U13.

Pressured because they generally aren't as good at 9 years old on the field so they are offered keeper to stay on the team. I know a keeper that pre-puberty wasn't as "athletic" (aka not as "fit") as the other u-littles and so was offered the position of keeper to remain on the team. Also a "scholarship" situation so they would be turning down the ability to play at the club level as well. Post puberty, his entire physique changed and he's now one of the more physically athletic players on the team. While this is great for him in the keeper position, he would LOVE to play as a field player. But alas, all those missed years of development he's behind his teammates in those skills. I would guess within a year he could catch up. But I don't see the club being willing to offer that. Another example of where club soccer fails the kids it's supposed to serve; placing kids in positions at an early age, especially keeper. I don't think we should allow designated keepers until U13.

Wow...have you watched high level club soccer recently? Keepers are now playing with their feet almost as much if not more than their hands. At practice you could not pick out the keepers from the field players in keep away, passing drills or sprints. Most top level keepers I know could easily play in the forward position but choose to play keeper. Who would stay in that position if they didn't love it. Getting verbally abused by parents, sometimes teammates and having 1 if not 2 extra trainings a week on top of regular team trainings - not something for the "least athletically fit" player on the team. Comments like these are why I keep my headphones in.....I take it too personally and as an insult to my kiddo.

Wow...have you watched high level club soccer recently? Keepers are now playing with their feet almost as much if not more than their hands. At practice you could not pick out the keepers from the field players in keep away, passing drills or sprints. Most top level keepers I know could easily play in the forward position but choose to play keeper. Who would stay in that position if they didn't love it. Getting verbally abused by parents, sometimes teammates and having 1 if not 2 extra trainings a week on top of regular team trainings - not something for the "least athletically fit" player on the team. Comments like these are why I keep my headphones in.....I take it too personally and as an insult to my kiddo.
This is what happened in this case. It wasn't meant to be the story of all keepers. I was sharing an specific experience and in my eyes was not fair to the kid in this position. I absolutely agree that it was wrong. And he is good with his feet and I think he could play on the field, I feel it is wrong that the club likely won't allow it The point was he was pigeonholed too early and they won't be flexible for him now.

I do also have experience with keepers who love their position. I was just describing an experience where that's not the case.

In a perfect world the coach would give the kids he is cutting a heads up so they can start trying out. I hate this time of year as I wait to see the fate of my kiddo for the next season. Most of the time I wish we never started down this path.

Whoa. Get your kid to play down a flight. They will start games and get way more minutes and will be way happier and you won't have to worry about whether or not they have a spot. Fighting for the 15th spot on a roster when you're only going to get a few minutes per game (if that) isn't fun.

This is what happened in this case. It wasn't meant to be the story of all keepers. I was sharing an specific experience and in my eyes was not fair to the kid in this position. I absolutely agree that it was wrong. And he is good with his feet and I think he could play on the field, I feel it is wrong that the club likely won't allow it The point was he was pigeonholed too early and they won't be flexible for him now.

I do also have experience with keepers who love their position. I was just describing an experience where that's not the case.
I’ve seen it too particularly at the lower bronze boys level since at that age you only need to big kid to block the goal as much as possible. The problem is the higher level keepers like my son start intensive training when they are 9 or 10. A super athletic kid can catch up but there’s just a ton of things to learn...I started to count all the skills that need to be mastered the other day...I hit over 100 before I just stopped. Also by the time he hits 12 and needs to cover the full goal if he’s overweight and slow he won’t be able to jump to do the extension dives he needs to cover the entire goal. And as mentioned by 12 the higher level keepers are playing as much with their feet as the field players. The kid you mention (unless puberty changes him) will be dropped as the team moves up in the rankings, eventually recruiting a player who is fit and trained the position.

How about the coaches helping the kids via their network to find the best placement for development for this player without being an ego issue
I am sick and tired or having to hide or feel guilty for looking out for the best of my kid

It is best to remember that the only people worse than goalies are parents of goalies. o_O. I say this mostly joking; goalies and their parents have to hear how every dad played goalie as a kid and wants to offer advice (not interested). Over time that seems to go away, but annoying when they are young. If you really want to support goalies, tell your kid to listen and do what the goalies are saying; they aren't talking just to talk.

That has been my experience, as well. The GK parents tend to be the most over the top parents. Not sure why

That has been my experience, as well. The GK parents tend to be the most over the top parents. Not sure why

It's pretty easy to understand....only the most over the top parents, and sturdiest of mental kids, will survive in the position. It's a position which: a. the coaches rarely know how to coach if they even bother to coach (since coaches even if they know something about GK [most don't but think they do] will tend to focus on skills first, the offense second and defensive line next and then conditioning before getting to the GK), b. the GK is blamed for every mistake while the field player can get away with multiple mistakes and "it's unlucky", and c. for which the skill set is vastly different and for which training is required on top of the usual soccer training. If either the kid or the parent isn't "all in" they won't survive in the position long.

It's pretty easy to understand....only the most over the top parents, and sturdiest of mental kids, will survive in the position. It's a position which: a. the coaches rarely know how to coach if they even bother to coach (since coaches even if they know something about GK [most don't but think they do] will tend to focus on skills first, the offense second and defensive line next and then conditioning before getting to the GK), b. the GK is blamed for every mistake while the field player can get away with multiple mistakes and "it's unlucky", and c. for which the skill set is vastly different and for which training is required on top of the usual soccer training. If either the kid or the parent isn't "all in" they won't survive in the position long.

p.s. my son recently took a promotion leaving a team he dearly loved and had a lot of friends on. His replacement had played GK too, and has a lot of natural talent. He's even done better in a few games than my son could, given the particular shots given. Even though the kid is all in, the parents aren't, hence the team needs to find a new GK.

p.s. my son recently took a promotion leaving a team he dearly loved and had a lot of friends on. His replacement had played GK too, and has a lot of natural talent. He's even done better in a few games than my son could, given the particular shots given. Even though the kid is all in, the parents aren't, hence the team needs to find a new GK.
Grace, I was able to play the great game of soccer for 7 years in AYSO as GK. Club was not around in the 70s so AYSO was tier 1, just so you know. Anyway, if I gave up a goal once in a blue moon, sometimes the older defenders would yell at me because I made a save but it went off my gloves and into the net for a, GOAL!!!!!!. I had one guy get all pissed at me when I let one slip through my fingers and I got so mad back at him. I told him if he was faster, then the defender wouldn't go around you so easily and have a direct shot at my face from 5 feet away. No respect I tell ya with that position :) I will say most of the articles in the local paper had glowing things to say about each of my games. I real reporter with the Daily Pilot would come and take pics and write up a quick take on the each game.

Grace, I was able to play the great game of soccer for 7 years in AYSO as GK. Club was not around in the 70s so AYSO was tier 1, just so you know. Anyway, if I gave up a goal once in a blue moon, sometimes the older defenders would yell at me because I made a save but it went off my gloves and into the net for a, GOAL!!!!!!. I had one guy get all pissed at me when I let one slip through my fingers and I got so mad back at him. I told him if he was faster, then the defender wouldn't go around you so easily and have a direct shot at my face from 5 feet away. No respect I tell ya with that position :) I will say most of the articles in the local paper had glowing things to say about each of my games. I real reporter with the Daily Pilot would come and take pics and write up a quick take on the each game.

Club ball did exist in the 1970s. That's when it was just starting to take off....most of our local clubs were founded in that decade. It was just reserved for the really really good players that had money. Everyone else played AYSO. No B/C/D teams. It was also mostly a girl's game back then....boys thought it was a sport for weaklings.

Club ball did exist in the 1970s. That's when it was just starting to take off....most of our local clubs were founded in that decade. It was just reserved for the really really good players that had money. Everyone else played AYSO. No B/C/D teams. It was also mostly a girl's game back then....boys thought it was a sport for weaklings.
Many areas of the country had little or no soccer in the 1970's, club, AYSO or rec.

Club was limited and is dependent on location. I grew up in the SGV (Pasadena) and club soccer did not attract the best players. And did not really take off till the early 80's in regards to being a known entity. I and a few of my friends/teammates eventually played at the college level and not one of them played club. Those that did were typically the weaker players. I know its weird, but that's who it attracted. Though that changed in the 90's.
Clubs I knew of and started in the 70's are: Claremont Stars, Santa Anita Soccer Club, NHB, and LaCanada Flyers (no longer exist and may have been merged with what is now or where LA Surf/LA Premier/Chelsea.

Last edited:

I coached rec teams in San Diego area for a few years in the '70s (I was in the Navy then and they would let me leave work early and skip Saturday duty in the interest of supporting community affairs). Most of the teams were boys or coed. None of them were AYSO. There was a County Cup tournament organized by the new Presidio league for regular season teams, plus weekend All-Star Team tournaments organized by local clubs.

Club was limited and is dependent on location. I grew up in the SGV (Pasadena) and club soccer did not attract the best players. And did not really take off till the early 80's in regards to being a known entity. I and a few of my friends/teammates eventually played at the college level and not one of them played club. Those that did were typically the weaker players. I know its weird, but that's who it attracted. Though that changed in the 90's.
Clubs I knew of and started in the 70's are: Claremont Stars, Santa Anita Soccer Club, NHB, and LaCanada Flyers (no longer exist and may have been merged with what is now or where LA Surf/LA Premier/Chelsea.

I played AYSO in the 70s early 80s. It was entirely a girl affair and the boys wouldn't be caught dead there. My brothers resisted fiercely, even though they'd play kicking the ball around in Catholic school with the other Latino kids. It's why my dad went in hard with the grandkids to get them into soccer (a move he now seemingly regrets given the club soccer nonsense). It was a struggle sometimes for the boy teams to organize enough players. There was also Latino sunday leagues (my dad played on those) so the Latino boys that knew how to play usually played on the jr. teams there. The girls would have a great time of it and the names were really cute...The Bumble Bees/the unicorns/the starlights. It was also all about the flair in your hair and the colors of the AYSO uniforms were cool too. My dad thought it was funny Americans let girls play soccer considering that didn't happen in the old country.

Only the (white) boys played the club ball, and yeah you are right, they didn't tend to be the most athletic in our area either because those boys were generally playing basketball and gridiron football. Our local clubs, though are still around (though one of them briefly changed to the La Galaxy name and one of them suspended for a while after the 2008 financial crisis).

Back