Club soccer stuff that drive you nuts...

In a perfect world the coach would give the kids he is cutting a heads up so they can start trying out. I hate this time of year as I wait to see the fate of my kiddo for the next season. Most of the time I wish we never started down this path.
I agree. I wish it were more transparent and I hate this time of the year because all the parents are stressed out and there’s a lot of whispering going in. But for the rest of the season, it’s great. I love watching my child improve every year and form bonds with his teammates.

I guess you have to take the good with the bad.

What I hate is when parents try to clique up in an attempt to make their kids tighter on the field + exclude others.

You may get some temp benefits from this type of behaviour. However it doesnt work in the long run. Eventually the clique will fall apart when one of the kids leave the team and you'll be surrounded by people you previously tried to exclude that dont like you.

Instead of playing the dinnerparty/sleepover game you'd be better off taking your kid to the park and shooting on goal.

What I hate is when parents try to clique up in an attempt to make their kids tighter on the field + exclude others.
This...this right here. Reminds me of "kid birthday parties" when they turn 1 or 2 where there's more alcohol than kids. The parents round up and form their posse and could care less about what's going on with the kids. I was sucked into that vortex when my kids first started club and realized real quickly that it would be better to watch practice from the car and show up right before kickoff and sit corner flag, even if it means being the dad that is "stuck up".

Don't get me wrong there are some good sensible parents to befriend that may be "life long" friends but the amount of crud you have to sift through to get to them sometimes isn't worth the risk.

The exception of course being Goats FC, where the criteria to be "selected" was that the parents got along and the parents were in on the joke.

When some Club Docs and some Club Coaches tell soccer players that HSS sucks. This was last week upset of the week and OC Register was their filming live. The back story is NBH beat the Breakers bad at their place 4-0. Breakers needed this win to qualify for CIF and they pulled off the upset in OT. It was senior night and what a way to go out by making CIF playoffs and a good chance to win league.

Last edited:
This...this right here. Reminds me of "kid birthday parties" when they turn 1 or 2 where there's more alcohol than kids. The parents round up and form their posse and could care less about what's going on with the kids. I was sucked into that vortex when my kids first started club and realized real quickly that it would be better to watch practice from the car and show up right before kickoff and sit corner flag, even if it means being the dad that is "stuck up".

Don't get me wrong there are some good sensible parents to befriend that may be "life long" friends but the amount of crud you have to sift through to get to them sometimes isn't worth the risk.

The exception of course being Goats FC, where the criteria to be "selected" was that the parents got along and the parents were in on the joke.
Agree, one of the worst parts of club soccer, other parents. Suck all the fun out of it.

After 8 years of club soccer, my list of things that drive me nuts is much too long to post. Definitely ready to move on. The downsides have seemed to finally eclipsed the upsides. Just waiting to see if my player will make the call before I have to for him.

Will be interesting to see what the club soccer landscape looks like in 10 years. If you look at Gen Y/Millennial consumer and parenting trends thus far, I’m not convinced they will be drinking the pay to play competitive sports kool-aid at the same rate as the Gen X parents did/do. Clubs may need to rethink their strategies for the next generation in the near future.

1 - When parents AND coaches don't read up on the yearly changes in The Laws of the Game.
2 -Advertising tryouts as "#3 ranked team in SoCal" this year when there is really no true ranking system this season due to COVID and not enough games played to be ranked.
3 - $12 parking at Silverlakes when we go twice a weekend.
4 - During practice, when your kid's soccer ball goes to another part of the field where a different club is practicing and they won't return the ball.
5 - Too many Initials leagues (ECNL, GA, ECRL, EA, DPL...)

Agree, one of the worst parts of club soccer, other parents. Suck all the fun out of it.

After 8 years of club soccer, my list of things that drive me nuts is much too long to post. Definitely ready to move on. The downsides have seemed to finally eclipsed the upsides. Just waiting to see if my player will make the call before I have to for him.

Will be interesting to see what the club soccer landscape looks like in 10 years. If you look at Gen Y/Millennial consumer and parenting trends thus far, I’m not convinced they will be drinking the pay to play competitive sports kool-aid at the same rate as the Gen X parents did/do. Clubs may need to rethink their strategies for the next generation in the near future.
Same boat, glad my oldest is “fingers crossed” moving on after next year. Conversation are progressing nicely and her hard work should pay dividends this final season.

Why w
Guilty as charged, well kind of. I was turning over a new leaf this year until HSS started. I will say I was NOT arguing a call though. I was yelling at CR to make calls to warn ((yellow)) players who are playing rugby and ((red)) for those who refuse to stop playing rugby :)
Why would the CR ever take your suggestion/instruction?

How about before playoffs
How about write before big time showcase your kid gets the, "well, are you going to play HSS or go for U14 National Team?" "Well, were waiting?" Too funny and I'm still SMFH that I had deal with Mr. Prick who thought he could buy his way into the game. He almost pulled it off......lol!!!

Last edited:
Why w

Why would the CR ever take your suggestion/instruction?
Why? Why not Frank? Let me be frank with you Frank. I was at a game where our top YNT player and soon to be UCLA star was getting mugged and beaten by hackers and the CR had his whistle stuck in his mouth. I yelled as loud as I could, "Make a call ref. Safety first, safety first." 1 minute later he called a yellow on the hacker. It works Frank.

Last edited:
I got one for you. Coaching your goalkeeper son during the entire match standing next to the goal. We didn't complain as the wasn't competitive.View attachment 10693
Did he at least know what he was doing? The problem is that many coaches think they do (because maybe even they played the position once when they were 12 for a season), but don’t and so tell them things which are wrong. Even some gk coaches can be hacks.

If it match wasn’t competitive what was he coaching? The backpass and positioning?

I got one for you. Coaching your goalkeeper son during the entire match standing next to the goal. We didn't complain as the wasn't competitive.View attachment 10693

I think my kiddo would be done with my husband if he ever did that. We learned to stay as far from the goal as possible. Does drive me nuts when other parents get behind my keepers goal (think the forwards dad trying to get good pictures.... and then yelling instructions to the kid).

I think my kiddo would be done with my husband if he ever did that. We learned to stay as far from the goal as possible. Does drive me nuts when other parents get behind my keepers goal (think the forwards dad trying to get good pictures.... and then yelling instructions to the kid).
Wait until college when parents from the other team fly in from a different state and get seats behind your kid/goalie to yell insults at them the entire game.

Personally I'm double/triple nice to all goalies + goalie parents. It's a very hard position to play and often kids get pressured into playing it.

Wait until college when parents from the other team fly in from a different state and get seats behind your kid/goalie to yell insults at them the entire game.

Personally I'm double/triple nice to all goalies + goalie parents. It's a very hard position to play and often kids get pressured into playing it.

My keeper is for sure a stronger person than I am. I was gifted noise cancelling headphones a year ago on mothers day and I now wear them to every game to drown out the parents on both sides who make comments about the kiddo.

Back