Cal South, phases 0 through 2, permits, and 2021

Schools will open or at least partially open. There’s too much pressure at the federal level and from parents wanting kids to go back to school. Our school district ran a survey and over 80% of parents want their kids back to school. If teachers don’t feel safe (my wife is a teacher), they can always look at hiring substitute teachers for a year. There’s plenty of people that need a job so this shouldn’t be an issue.

Nonsense.

There is going significantly less fields available, premits issued in my county no two ways about that. Some cities like LA might not have any of there municipal sports facilities rented to outside entities.

Whatever ends up happening I don't think we will see normal fall scheduling like we're are used to. Some clubs or teams wont have any home games, number of games reduced, delays in the schedules, etc somethings have to give. Going to have to get creative but whatever happens to fall football is going to have a big impact on soccer since football takes priority at most schools and soccer picks up after.

Schools will open or at least partially open. There’s too much pressure at the federal level and from parents wanting kids to go back to school. Our school district ran a survey and over 80% of parents want their kids back to school. If teachers don’t feel safe (my wife is a teacher), they can always look at hiring substitute teachers for a year. There’s plenty of people that need a job so this shouldn’t be an issue.
I really want to be careful on what I say about this issue. I know more people in the teaching profession than all the other professions combined. I asked 5 of them honest questions because I still want my dd to learn a few things before she turns 18 and not the online school version.

Teacher #1. He has a Phd in Education. He is the boss of the Principles and reports directly to the big boss, the Superintendent. He says it's 100% important that kids get back to normal this fall. Class and sports. He did play hoops for Cal State Dominquez Hills and see's the value of keeping some kids happy with sports and a reason to come to school in the first place. Super stud example and in excellent shape :)

Teacher #2. He is a Principle and he is 100% ready to go back to school and ready to go this fall. Excellent shape and trains as MMA

Teacher #3. Englsih teacher and 100% wants to go back to work. Super healthy

Teacher #4 Science & health teacher. "No way I'm going back unless we have a vaccine" Not a very healthy person to be honest which I find odd when I speak with her. I don;t judge, I just listen.

Teacher #5 French teacher. "No way, I can;t get that virus." Not in good health.

Schools open Sept 1 doesn’t mean that schools stay open.

When we open, schools will have the same half-hearted PPE use that we have seen in other areas, like construction. We will get some high school clusters, and then start shutting down the hot spots. If we have enough hot spots, expect us to close the cool spots, too.

Once the districts have a certain number of teachers infected, the unions aren’t going to stand by and watch their members get sick. Have a distance learning plan for your kids this fall.

Korea tried opening school. They have much stricter measures and extremely low number of community cases.

Even with masks, social distancing, and temperature checks at school entry they still had spikes and had to close hundreds of schools and delay opening the rest.

Received an email from DD school the other day. They are looking at 2 options for students. One is to continue distance learning from home and the other is a hybrid schedule, half distance learning and half on campus so the kids can rotate and there will be less students on campus and in class daily. Each family has the option.

Received an email from DD school the other day. They are looking at 2 options for students. One is to continue distance learning from home and the other is a hybrid schedule, half distance learning and half on campus so the kids can rotate and there will be less students on campus and in class daily. Each family has the option.

I'll point out of the obvious but neither is a great option. At least with distance learning last year, the kids had the benefit of having built up the relationship with the teacher most of the year. This coming year, all distanced will lack that boost. The bigger question is within the short time window if they can even get an active distanced learning program or is it going to be mostly self-led (for example, in our shool district, DYS's bestie didn't have a single live class over the spring....it was all make work which the parents had to oversee with periodic teacher conferences once per week for a few minutes). There's not a whole lot of indication that LAUSD at this point is pursuing such an online learning launch (which would in essence require the retraining of a huge amount of staff). Self-starters might do o.k. and even prosper under such a system, but the least well off (5% of our local students went off-the-grid for some point in time during the spring) will pay the heaviest price.

With the hybrid schedule at least the kids will be able to build a relationship with the teacher, but the parents have the worst of both worlds: risking that the kid will bring home the virus, no full time care, and having to pickup any burden during the remaining time period. For the time off, it will not be in person learning because teachers aren't writing new lesson plans (they are essentially taking the 1/2 that aren't there)...so mostly self-guided learning which for the younger and/or less advanced students will mean substantial parent intervention. It means kids won't be able to cover the usual material, and again the least well off will pay the heaviest price.

I am surprised your wife didn't check you on this. Districts struggle even in normal years to get subs. So we just hire any Joe Smith or Tammy Smith to sub? What an absolute nightmare that would be.

I am surprised your wife didn't check you on this. Districts struggle even in normal years to get subs. So we just hire any Joe Smith or Tammy Smith to sub? What an absolute nightmare that would be.
Don't forget that most subs in public schools really just a babysitter - they were not teaching anything.

The recent protests revealed in CA we can do whatever we want en masse, legal or illegal...just a thought and a starting point.

Okay, soundbite aside, how do we get to phase 3? Per Cal South's guidelines on RTP, anyone who tests positive has to get cleared from their family doctor, similar to the concussion protocol. Assume a 14-day recovery period from first onset of symptoms, then the kid has to get at least one test with negative results, probably two, and only then will you get a doctor to clear them. In a competitive atmosphere, little Brayden's parents are incentivized to give him some tylenol and throw him out there. Then little Rayden on the other team catches the virus, and here come the lawsuits.

Again, realistically, what's the determination to get past phase 2?
It's not a soundbite...The first and most important question should be: who works for who?

Ventura County issued a warning today that if the current levels continue they will not reopen schools.
So many people just doing what they want. I guess it's like they are shooting themselves in the foot, or cutting off their nose to spite their face. If only, if only people had truly sucked it up and complied, but oh no, "I don't want my freedom impinged upon". Now look where we are heading. Definitely the "Me generation"!

So option 1: All virtual
Option 2: All classroom
Option 3: Some classroom, some virtual (Use subs for those teachers that dont want to go to the classroom even if they are not the best)

I will take Option 2 or 3. Nobody wins with Option 1.
I will take the nightmare substitute option over isolating our kids at home for another year. Talk about mental stress and developing bad habits for our youth generation. Keep locking them up at home (err - death by zoom training).

It's not a soundbite...The first and most important question should be: who works for who?

I don't understand your first and most important question. Cal South has mandated very clear guidelines for getting back to playing. My original question is-- how do we get to phase 3 in those guidelines? Right now I don't see it sans vaccine.

Schools will open or at least partially open.
The problem is this. They will open, close, open, close, ad infinitum.

A mid size school with 1k students.

They open. Some kid tests positive or has a family member test positive. Right now the school has to shut for a period of time. They do that. Come back...and then in a week or so another tests positive. Rinse repeat.

With a school of that size as an example...and then factoring in parents, relatives...friends, etc. you can bet your ass someone is ALWAYS going to be testing positive. It is going to be like living in Groundhog Day.

At some point we need to realize covid overall is 2.5 times worse than the flu and LIVE WITH IT.

The median age of people dying is about 80.

Deal with where the risks actually are, and let the rest of us do our thing. We may never get a vaccine. A vaccine might not be very effective. Or a vaccine could be 6 months, 12 months or 18 months away.

It is time people actually looked at the stats and lived accordingly. Forget even soccer. Are my kids going to learn anything when school is on, off, on, off......?

Cal South should have known better they gambled on the camp workaround being a solution, amazing they so quickly embrace that and announced return to play without clearance from the state.

Makes you really wonder how much they really care about players, fees, CRL $$, scheduling without fields, and took out a huge up to $1Mil PPP loan that all of us taxpayers will foot the bill for while there double and triple dipping, what a racket.

In accordance with California Department of Public Health direction, youth sports practices are postponed. https://bit.ly/YouthSportsPostponed
Orange County, California - Health Care Agency

www.ochealthinfo.com
www.ochealthinfo.com

Cal South should have known better they gambled on the camp workaround being a solution, amazing they so quickly embrace that and announced return to play without clearance from the state.

Makes you really wonder how much they really care about players, fees, CRL $$, scheduling without fields, and took out a huge up to $1Mil PPP loan that all of us taxpayers will foot the bill for while there double and triple dipping, what a racket.

In accordance with California Department of Public Health direction, youth sports practices are postponed. https://bit.ly/YouthSportsPostponed
Orange County, California - Health Care Agency

www.ochealthinfo.com
www.ochealthinfo.com
Officially youth sports is over for the summer and possibly fall.
Time to start training our kids for some ping pong! I’m starting a ping pong club. Outdoor, 6 feet apart, and masks.

LA County too today said likely no in person classes in LA County. That's the final nail in the coffin for the fall season in LA County. No school no fields. This is coming from County health, not just LAUSD, so it means it would cover private school as well. Told you guys....get out if you can.

Back