Blues Cup 2019

Eagles 09 parent here, we played in this Blues Tournament this weekend, I thought it was great. Brackets were balanced and fair to me, there were no real blowout games. In regards to the Goats team, kudos to them for forming that team. Our girls knew all the girls, some very well, Goats assembled a great team, well rounded, and honestly some of the best 09's out there, JUST MY opinion. For people getting so upset by this team Goats this tournament, I cant see why, one theory, their kid was not chosen to be on team but who knows?? Personally as a parent I like seeing my DD play the best teams no matter who or what team. Truthfully after playing the Goats and watching those two teams battle it out for an hour, and that game only being 2-1 loss for the Eagles, I cant be mad at that, Eagles proved once again they can be a contender for being one of the top teams and top rated players.

Eagles 09 parent here, we played in this Blues Tournament this weekend, I thought it was great. Brackets were balanced and fair to me, there were no real blowout games. In regards to the Goats team, kudos to them for forming that team. Our girls knew all the girls, some very well, Goats assembled a great team, well rounded, and honestly some of the best 09's out there, JUST MY opinion. For people getting so upset by this team Goats this tournament, I cant see why, one theory, their kid was not chosen to be on team but who knows?? Personally as a parent I like seeing my DD play the best teams no matter who or what team. Truthfully after playing the Goats and watching those two teams battle it out for an hour, and that game only being 2-1 loss for the Eagles, I cant be mad at that, Eagles proved once again they can be a contender for being one of the top teams and top rated players.
Class act fanclub. Eagles always want to play the "best of the best." I remember back in 2013 their undefeated U9 team drove all the way down to Chino to play the Legends Combo Meal Team in a friendly because they wanted to be tested. All the other teams got all mad because we "stacked" our team in a couple tournaments that year. Great job Eagles Club :)

Interesting thread as I have a daughter who plays 2010 F1 and we've literally been on both sides, having been invited to play for a "put together on the fly" tournament team and recently having lost to one...lol...which actually cost us a finals appearance.

With that said, and once the emotions from the game cool down, you realize (at least for me as a parent and former club coach) you want your daughter playing against the best no matter what the team is. And to add to that, we had never seen any of these girls before so that was just an added bonus.

If you're in it for the medals just play all these lousy tournaments where you literally could be half asleep and still win a trophy. That's a completely different topic for another day...Idigress.

Interesting thread as I have a daughter who plays 2010 F1 and we've literally been on both sides, having been invited to play for a "put together on the fly" tournament team and recently having lost to one...lol...which actually cost us a finals appearance.

With that said, and once the emotions from the game cool down, you realize (at least for me as a parent and former club coach) you want your daughter playing against the best no matter what the team is. And to add to that, we had never seen any of these girls before so that was just an added bonus.

If you're in it for the medals just play all these lousy tournaments where you literally could be half asleep and still win a trophy. That's a completely different topic for another day...Idigress.
Thank you!!!!

If Goats is all about friendships, smiles and ice cream...why only top level players?

Building these bonds and friendships with actual team / teammates should be a primary goal in development. But, apparently having to play with average / lesser teammates isn't as much fun...(for some parents). Just a thought.

Winning Blues Cup and Surf Cup had some juice back in the day and I know to some it still does as your pissed off some crazy parents stacked some all start team together. Perceptions wrong again. You want to win that medal too and the GOATs ruined it for some. I always want my dd to play against the best as if you all didn't know that already.
Obvious foul. Easily a caution/yellow card (reckless).
My little goat was a tough one. Got right back up for more abuse. And to think I get labeled a crazy soccer dad when folks have been trying to take my little goat out of the game ever since she was 9. "No respect I tell ya, no respect." I've never seen such an unhappy, angry group of soccer parents then at the Joy Fawcett Invitational in beautiful San Juan Capistrano where the birds come back then in 2014. It still tops them ALL. The GOATS got the invite and that was huge. Not easy getting into big time tournaments as we all know now.

If Goats is all about friendships, smiles and ice cream...why only top level players?

Building these bonds and friendships with actual team / teammates should be a primary goal in development. But, apparently having to play with average / lesser teammates isn't as much fun...(for some parents). Just a thought.

Fair question, but the primary reason may not necessarily be intentional I think ... at first at least. I think those that are most active on these forums, tend to have kids that are in the upper 3rd talent-wise on their various teams and at various ages, and are probably most if not all first team players. I mean, how often are we talking about flight 2 or 3 tournament or league results around here? Yeah, rarely if ever. The vast majority of soccer parents out there have never heard of these forums, or if they have, don't participate. So if regular forum participants are getting together to form a team, it's a decent bet that their kids are better than average. Not all for sure, but most. Just my take.

Fair question, but the primary reason may not necessarily be intentional I think ... at first at least. I think those that are most active on these forums, tend to have kids that are in the upper 3rd talent-wise on their various teams and at various ages, and are probably most if not all first team players. I mean, how often are we talking about flight 2 or 3 tournament or league results around here? Yeah, rarely if ever. The vast majority of soccer parents out there have never heard of these forums, or if they have, don't participate. So if regular forum participants are getting together to form a team, it's a decent bet that their kids are better than average. Not all for sure, but most. Just my take.
Bingo, you made my point. Friendship, smiles and ice cream is nonsense. These parents with top 3rd players on teams obviously need more than having to play with their teams bottom 2/3rd. (Key words being "parents need"... not "players need").

True Teammates fight for each other...they go to war with what they have, not what they wish they had.

Glad to see the Goats are still alive all these years later.

I don’t know who is on the current team.

I do know we set rules early on,...

Had to be an active poster
Had to not be a douche bag parent
First Goat experience was to be made on the 11 v 11 field
No coaching
Three player max from a team

Original team had kids from every level blades, CSC, blues, United, legends, PSA, infinity, Encinitas express, Albion, lasers, Wolfpack, etc.

So it was NOT an all Star team nor a flight one team.

This original team 00/01 has since all graduated - and is represented across the county and playing collegiately at the like of AZ st, Irvine, Fullerton, Vassar, Hawaii, Army, Wake Forest, Pacific, Marian, LMU, etc.

Along the way they won a few events until DA took over. A highlight was playing Baker Blues in a final and losing late 1/0. Highlight of that day and loss was the water balloons thereafter

Clearly not about wins and losses

The next group was 03/04 and they followed the same guidelines they took the green paint, beads, and costumes next level. Players came from Carlsbad lightning, beach, legends south, eagles, surf, NHB, SDSC, Arsenal, Fullerton, Slammers, etc

Again no all star team here.

DA too took its toll on this group as well

So hopefully these are still the same guidelines wearing ridiculous green cartoon goats jerseys and giving the ref an occasional Baaaaaaaaahhhhhh

Glad to see the Goats are still alive all these years later.

I don’t know who is on the current team.

I do know we set rules early on,...

Had to be an active poster
Had to not be a douche bag parent
First Goat experience was to be made on the 11 v 11 field
No coaching
Three player max from a team

Original team had kids from every level blades, CSC, blues, United, legends, PSA, infinity, Encinitas express, Albion, lasers, Wolfpack, etc.

So it was NOT an all Star team nor a flight one team.

This original team 00/01 has since all graduated - and is represented across the county and playing collegiately at the like of AZ st, Irvine, Fullerton, Vassar, Hawaii, Army, Wake Forest, Pacific, Marian, LMU, etc.

Along the way they won a few events until DA took over. A highlight was playing Baker Blues in a final and losing late 1/0. Highlight of that day and loss was the water balloons thereafter

Clearly not about wins and losses

The next group was 03/04 and they followed the same guidelines they took the green paint, beads, and costumes next level. Players came from Carlsbad lightning, beach, legends south, eagles, surf, NHB, SDSC, Arsenal, Fullerton, Slammers, etc

Again no all star team here.

DA too took its toll on this group as well

So hopefully these are still the same guidelines wearing ridiculous green cartoon goats jerseys and giving the ref an occasional Baaaaaaaaahhhhhh
My kid was the third generation to partake. RG who if I recall was an original with his eldest guided the parents and the girls on what GOATS was about their first time around. That group was made up of girls from Surf, Slammers, Legends, Surf & Sand, Arsenal, Real So Cal, Legends, and LAGSB.

Our GOAT group was not hand picked other than being active parents posting who were asked if they were interested in their child playing. The team at the time was composed of players of varying abilities. Despite success on the field none of us knew where our kids would end up now. And till this day that group still has a connection and respect for one another off and on the field. Yet, most playing on different teams even now.

Our GOAT group was not hand picked other than being active parents posting who were asked if they were interested in their child playing. The team at the time was composed of players of varying abilities. Despite success on the field none of us knew where our kids would end up now. And till this day that group still has a connection and respect for one another off and on the field. Yet, most playing on different teams even now.

Honestly, who cares if it was hand picked...isn't it every club's intention to field the most talented teams possible?

Back