Blues COVID email

Agreed. It's just that everything I've seen has been debunked pseudoscience that's akin to anti-vaxxer rhetoric.

Next time I come across the thread I'll PM it to you. Basically it amounts to there being no evidence besides statistical and observational studies that both sides can marshall because its impossible and unethical right now to do a controlled study on the issue.

Well if you are going to slap them on the wrist at this point it won't do anything to deter people considering an ever increasing amount of people are joining team reality and taking the red pill. They don't do anything to slow people on the freeways either.
Speeding tickets work. You have no idea how fast we'd drive without them.

The pill analogy is still insulting, by the way. Similar to how the left uses "woke". Either phrase implies that anyone who disagrees with you must not be a conscious and sentient creature.

Why not just use Plato's cave, and suggest that we all should be dragged into the light? Then we can argue about who sees reality and who is seeing only shadows on the wall.

The pill analogy is still insulting, by the way. Similar to how the left uses "woke". Either phrase implies that anyone who disagrees with you must not be a conscious and sentient creature.

Practically no one in SoCal drives the speed limit. I tend to drive 5-10 miles over it and I'm practically a slowpoke on the lanes. The threat of a ticket doesn't do very much. What does hold down people from driving 80 is that they'll be charged wih reckless driving which isn't a ticketing offense...drive fast enough and you go to jail. It's not the ticket which is dissuading people.

The analogy doesn't really apply to you. You've shown yourself to be a thoughtful person even if we disagree but we tend to disagree more on the margins and reasons for doing things than in the actual approach. The blue pillers are the ones still under the illusion they can control the thing (as opposed to just mitigating it), irrespective of the costs. It also drives them nuts when you point that out because they don't want to see it and will do anything possible for psychological reasons to avoid looking at it.

Practically no one in SoCal drives the speed limit. I tend to drive 5-10 miles over it and I'm practically a slowpoke on the lanes. The threat of a ticket doesn't do very much. What does hold down people from driving 80 is that they'll be charged wih reckless driving which isn't a ticketing offense...drive fast enough and you go to jail. It's not the ticket which is dissuading people.

The analogy doesn't really apply to you. You've shown yourself to be a thoughtful person even if we disagree but we tend to disagree more on the margins and reasons for doing things than in the actual approach. The blue pillers are the ones still under the illusion they can control the thing (as opposed to just mitigating it), irrespective of the costs. It also drives them nuts when you point that out because they don't want to see it and will do anything possible for psychological reasons to avoid looking at it.
Must be that I'm one of those Berkeley hippies. Cant risk the fuzz pulling me and Zonker over: they might find my stash. The tiny little engine on the microbus won't get up to 80 mph anyway.

I wouldn't be so sure about that:

I'm pretty sure @Grace T. pointed this out at some point somewhere that the incentives are bit whacky right now.

I still don't get why we're not focusing on outdoor activities first. I mean I get it...capitalism and all.

Fair enough...you can’t fix stupid.

I don't understand why you are afraid to say the number of people you are okay with dying in order to open up the economy. This is not a hard question.
Zero if possible. But it isn't. But you would also have to consider how many deaths occur because the economy isn't open. What would be a good number for you?

Zero if possible. But it isn't. But you would also have to consider how many deaths occur because the economy isn't open. What would be a good number for you?

That's probably more of argument for continued stimulus initiatives vs opening up the economy. I think there are other issues that could make a stronger argument.

Next time I come across the thread I'll PM it to you. Basically it amounts to there being no evidence besides statistical and observational studies that both sides can marshall because its impossible and unethical right now to do a controlled study on the issue.

Nonsense.

IKR? She says it’s basic math, yet she can’t do it.

Science is hard. It requires years of education, then more years of hard work, sometimes with expensive equipment (some of which the scientist must invent as needed), all subject to review and criticism by others who legitimately understand what you are doing.

Denial, on the other hand, only requires a pen (or, nowadays, a keyboard).

Science is hard. It requires years of education, then more years of hard work, sometimes with expensive equipment (some of which the scientist must invent as needed), all subject to review and criticism by others who legitimately understand what you are doing.

Denial, on the other hand, only requires a pen (or, nowadays, a keyboard).
Cmon, science?! Yeah right! Maybe all the top scientists are saying wear a mask, but we know COVID affects “virtually nobody.”

Cmon, science?! Yeah right! Maybe all the top scientists are saying wear a mask, but we know COVID affects “virtually nobody.”

1. They didn’t in the past. They specifically said not to
2. There are still health officers in countries including the hard hit Low Countries that disagree. It’s a minority position but they are out there. Some including in the us reverse under political pressure because: a. The cost of the policy is minimal so why not if it might help and b. The politicians are under tremendous pressure to “do something”. It’s not science it’s politics
3. Even they can’t seem to wear them properly with health officers around the world being caught more than dozens of time wearing them improperly or removing them.

2. There are still health officers in countries including the hard hit Low Countries that disagree. It’s a minority position but they are out there. Some including in the us reverse under political pressure because: a. The cost of the policy is minimal so why not if it might help and b. The politicians are under tremendous pressure to “do something”. It’s not science it’s politics
3. Even they can’t seem to wear them properly with health officers around the world being caught more than dozens of time wearing them improperly or removing them.
Sorry, that’s some real conspiratorial BS kook talk. So, what you’re saying is if Fauci is caught taking the mask off at a game—gotcha!—it negates the scientific consensus?! Maybe there’s a connection now for why we saw Asian citizens routinely wearing masks in recent years and why their populations have been comparatively unscathed by the virus.

To be fair, Fauci said this because he didn't want hoarding of PPEs/n95 masks for HCWs. I think his approach of reducing panic was apropos.

The science is pretty conclusive. There is absolute efficacy with n95 masks. Perhaps less impactful with other materials, but still worth wearing. Do they create complete barriers? No, but they slow the virus down. Do they have any meaningful impact outdoors?, probably not.

It's unfortunate that federal leadership has made wearing a mask political.

To be fair, Fauci said this because he didn't want hoarding of PPEs/n95 masks for HCWs. I think his approach of reducing panic was apropos.

The science is pretty conclusive. There is absolute efficacy with n95 masks. Perhaps less impactful with other materials, but still worth wearing. Do they create complete barriers? No, but they slow the virus down. Do they have any meaningful impact outdoors?, probably not.

It's unfortunate that federal leadership has made wearing a mask political.
wow, so Fauci intentionally lied to the public putting people at risk of dying of COVID? When all he had to do was tell people to wear a scarf around their face like he did months later? seems like a pretty crappy expert that our leaders are expecting sound advice from.

Back