Bad News Thread

Texas and California have almost identical per cap curves despite different gov policies

The curves are the same shape, but the red line is significantly higher. Total area under the curve is about 1/3 higher. Deaths are about 50% hogher.

If anything, it’s a good argument for masks. Texas has kept a lot of things open, but they have had a statewide mask mandate since July 3. Maybe masks are the solution to everything, after all. ;)

Meanwhile here's the vaccination cards that will be issued. Hope they don't expect people to keep those somewhere safe to board a bus or go in a store. Most people can't even hold onto their Starbucks reward cards. After a few days in my purse that thing is trashed. Shouldn't there be an app for tha?
Just claim you don't need a card and shouldn't be required to show one.

That I believe is the argument used by one party as it relates to voting.

I bet these school districts are doing a great job with their online education right now.

"Several years ago, Project Baltimore began an investigation of Baltimore’s school system. What it found was an utter disgrace.

In 19 of Baltimore’s 39 high schools, out of 3,804 students, only 14 of them, or less than 1%, were proficient in math.

In 13 of Baltimore’s high schools, not a single student scored proficient in math.

In five Baltimore City high schools, not a single student scored proficient in math or reading.

Despite these academic deficiencies, about 70% of the students graduate and are conferred a high school diploma—a fraudulent high school diploma.

The Detroit Public Schools Community District scored the lowest in the nation compared to 26 other urban districts for reading and mathematics at the fourth- and eighth-grade levels.

A recent video captures some of this miseducation in Milwaukee high schools: In two city high schools, only one student tested proficient in math and none are proficient in English.

Yet, the schools spent a full week learning about “systemic racism” and “Black Lives Matter activism.”

The curves are the same shape, but the red line is significantly higher. Total area under the curve is about 1/3 higher. Deaths are about 50% hogher.

If anything, it’s a good argument for masks. Texas has kept a lot of things open, but they have had a statewide mask mandate since July 3. Maybe masks are the solution to everything, after all. ;)

Being disinegenous again. If anything, it stands for the proposition that with all the restrictions on schools, youth sports, worship, businesses, and masks, this is the best that those restrictions do, for all the costs (notably on kids) imposed by California.

Being disinegenous again. If anything, it stands for the proposition that with all the restrictions on schools, youth sports, worship, businesses, and masks, this is the best that those restrictions do, for all the costs (notably on kids) imposed by California.
What? It is disingenuous to actually look up the area under a curve instead of handwaving about the shape? Those two curves appear similar, but one has 4/3 the area of the other.

You need to leave masks off your list of complaints. Texas has them too. If your image says anything, it says that business and school closures are less important than masks. That would be an interesting conversation, but that’s not the axe you want to grind.

Just claim you don't need a card and shouldn't be required to show one.

That I believe is the argument used by one party as it relates to voting.
Or, get your vaccine when it’s your turn, and stop complaining about stupid little things like a card.

We have a world wide depression and a pandemic with over a million and a half people dead, and you’re worried that you might have to carry a piece of paper for 3 months.

Or, get your vaccine when it’s your turn, and stop complaining about stupid little things like a card.

We have a world wide depression and a pandemic with over a million and a half people dead, and you’re worried that you might have to carry a piece of paper for 3 months.
I am wondering why I should take a vaccine when my risk factor is minimal.

And as I look at my kids it is NON EXISTENT.

You on the other hand seem to like every rule put out by government and willingly follow along.

Strip clubs are not dance establishments. They are bars which happen to have naked women exercising their first amendment right to free speech.

I agree that strips clubs should be closed, but you can’t do that without also closing the rest of the bars.

If the strip clubs are open but banned from serving food and drink, then it gets more interesting.
Places that serve alcohol with on site parking, for vehicles the patrons will drive away in, should go the way of the horse and buggy.

Those like DH are afraid of many things, keeping track of a piece of paper now added to the long extensive list.

Those like DH are afraid of many things, keeping track of a piece of paper now added to the long extensive list.
Not afraid.

I for one however like the concept of freedom and choice. And when one looks at the data and who is at risk the choice is even clearer.

If you are scared, by all means get the vaccine.

If as they say the vaccines are 90-94% effective, have the people actually at risk take the vaccine if they want it.

I am wondering why I should take a vaccine when my risk factor is minimal.

And as I look at my kids it is NON EXISTENT.

You on the other hand seem to like every rule put out by government and willingly follow along.
Agree with your Dad4 comment, but disagree with you vaccine position.

Amongst all the arbitrary, window dressing, non-science based and purely political restrictions and rules, getting a vaccination is something that would substantively mitigate the pandemic. When my turn comes I will get a vaccine. Although there is precedent for doing so, I'm not sure how comfortable I would be with the government mandating it, but I have no problem with schools, airlines, or any other organization requiring it as a condition of participation.

Agree with your Dad4 comment, but disagree with you vaccine position.

Amongst all the arbitrary, window dressing, non-science based and purely political restrictions and rules, getting a vaccination is something that would substantively mitigate the pandemic. When my turn comes I will get a vaccine. Although there is precedent for doing so, I'm not sure how comfortable I would be with the government mandating it, but I have no problem with schools, airlines, or any other organization requiring it as a condition of participation.

I have concerns about the mRNA vaccines. They may be fine but I'd like to wait...would take the traditional vaccines in a heartbeat but those would be available later. Without more data, doubt I'd let my kid take the mRNA one.

They've even lost Nate Silver

Nate is a data guy, and the CA rules are largely skew to the actual data. He wasn’t going to be in favor of the current form of the rules.

Don’t misinterpret that to mean he is in favor of ending all rules, North Dakota style. That’s not his point. Ending all covid rules would just be a different way to ignore the science.

I have concerns about the mRNA vaccines. They may be fine but I'd like to wait...would take the traditional vaccines in a heartbeat but those would be available later. Without more data, doubt I'd let my kid take the mRNA one.
I likely missed your post regarding mRNA. Can you explain your concerns again.

Maybe by the time the kids' turn comes there will be better options or more data. One of my concerns with kids being last is that Newsom will use that as an excuse to not allow in-person school and youth sports until kids are vaccinated which could be well into the next school year. My daughter will be a senior next year and if he F$%#s in any way with her senior year, I'm not sure what I will do. For sure I will be a tall dog on our district. I feel really sorry for HS Seniors from last year and this year.

I likely missed your post regarding mRNA. Can you explain your concerns again.

Maybe by the time the kids' turn comes there will be better options or more data. One of my concerns with kids being last is that Newsom will use that as an excuse to not allow in-person school and youth sports until kids are vaccinated which could be well into the next school year. My daughter will be a senior next year and if he F$%#s in any way with her senior year, I'm not sure what I will do. For sure I will be a tall dog on our district. I feel really sorry for HS Seniors from last year and this year.

The technique is new (which is why they were able to deploy first). Long term effects have not been therefore studied. It's probably o.k. Probably is o.k. for me (my life is probably 1/2 over) not o.k. for my kid who is at no risk for this thing. I know some medical professionals too which have expressed the same view....not I won't ever take it....but I need to read and to hear more.

The technique is new (which is why they were able to deploy first). Long term effects have not been therefore studied. It's probably o.k. Probably is o.k. for me (my life is probably 1/2 over) not o.k. for my kid who is at no risk for this thing. I know some medical professionals too which have expressed the same view....not I won't ever take it....but I need to read and to hear more.
I would assume that, by the time kids are allowed to get a covid vaccine, there will be some traditional vaccines on the market.

Mostly from China, I think. Which brings up China’s ability properly regulate their vaccine industry. After all, we got here because of China’s inability to properly regulate their food safety.

This sounds like the way a lot of places come up with covid policies.

"The San Francisco Board of Supervisors voted Tuesday to ban smoking in apartment buildings—but made an exception for marijuana, the San Francisco Chronicle reported. "

Back