Bad News Thread

If you look at Newsom's pandemic response through a Covid only lens and are in favor of blanket restrictions (like some people here still cling to), isn't Newsom's continued goal post moving absolute evidence of his abject failure in combating the virus?

If I look at his health policy decisions in isolation I would give him a C for his Covid response because I believe he has very little control over the virus. I wouldn't give him an F because he didn't pull a Coumo/Murphy, but I can't give him a higher grade because many of his restrictions weren't credible which diluted the effectiveness of credible precautions. I'd give him a D on his economic health policy decisions. Some businesses are still thriving but he's nearly killed some industries or sent them on an insane roller coaster ride. For his education and youth health policy decisions, he hasn't even shown up to class or turned in any assignments so he gets a solid F. His overall health policy grade is an F because I have to give more weight to the damage he has done to our children.

Damn he really moved the goalposts this time. SD should never be lumped together with LA for anything. That's why we have Camp Pendleton...to keep us separated.

But the latest numbers, shared in San Diego County’s daily COVID-19 update Wednesday, show that the region is likely to be put into a more-restrictive lockdown even though its intensive care remains significantly more favorable than Southern California’s.

At the moment, San Diego County comes nowhere close to meeting that threshold. As of Tuesday, 539 of 853 local intensive care beds were occupied, 38 percent of them by COVID-19 patients.

However, Gov. Gavin Newsom announced a new plan Thursday that lumps San Diego in with 10 other counties, many of which have significantly less bed availability than San Diego does. For example, Los Angeles County, according to a report from Health Services Los Angeles County, currently has 86 available staffed adult ICU beds compared to 315 in San Diego.

Damn he really moved the goalposts this time. SD should never be lumped together with LA for anything. That's why we have Camp Pendleton...to keep us separated.

But the latest numbers, shared in San Diego County’s daily COVID-19 update Wednesday, show that the region is likely to be put into a more-restrictive lockdown even though its intensive care remains significantly more favorable than Southern California’s.

At the moment, San Diego County comes nowhere close to meeting that threshold. As of Tuesday, 539 of 853 local intensive care beds were occupied, 38 percent of them by COVID-19 patients.

However, Gov. Gavin Newsom announced a new plan Thursday that lumps San Diego in with 10 other counties, many of which have significantly less bed availability than San Diego does. For example, Los Angeles County, according to a report from Health Services Los Angeles County, currently has 86 available staffed adult ICU beds compared to 315 in San Diego.

Think how San Luis Obispo, Inyo and Mono feel. IIRC one of those 3 is still red.

Here's my headscratcher: Newsom's decided to close playgrounds (and zoos) but the ski resorts are open? But at the same time overnight campgrounds would be shuttered (so no RVs) and hotels would be limited and nonessential travel banned. So you can go to a ski resort if you live near one in driving distance? Does Newsom (or one of his health directors) have some sort of holiday cabin we're unaware of and they want to bunker down in for the winter and want to avoid a French laundry accusation of hypocrisy?

Here's my headscratcher: Newsom's decided to close playgrounds (and zoos) but the ski resorts are open? But at the same time overnight campgrounds would be shuttered (so no RVs) and hotels would be limited and nonessential travel banned. So you can go to a ski resort if you live near one in driving distance? Does Newsom (or one of his health directors) have some sort of holiday cabin we're unaware of and they want to bunker down in for the winter and want to avoid a French laundry accusation of hypocrisy?
I love science, its so fascinating how it works in 2020.

Didn’t he also have a slide where he encouraged people to go to parks, go to beaches and even one that said “go utilize outdoor gyms” to help with mental health concerns?

Bad news day keeps getting worse. Biden has asked Fauci to serve as chief medical officer. National lockdown (and resulting conflict it would bring) just took a step closer out of the realm of impossibility.

Bad news day keeps getting worse. Biden has asked Fauci to serve as chief medical officer. National lockdown (and resulting conflict it would bring) just took a step closer out of the realm of impossibility.

Rational people see this as a good thing.

You might want to post a link for that claim about Newsom closing playgrounds. Are you talking about March?

I watched the whole news conference today and did not hear anything about a decision to close playgrounds.

Current guidance on the state web site says nothing about closing them, either.

It is far too specific, but I don't see a single word there about closures.

You might want to post a link for that claim about Newsom closing playgrounds. Are you talking about March?

I watched the whole news conference today and did not hear anything about a decision to close playgrounds.

It's in the summary run by the local paper.....

BTW....hope all the OC peep out there are o.k. Hearing the news about the fires. To top off a horrible news day.

It was hard to find it but if you dig on the state site link click on "What does Regional Stay At Home Order Do?"

I hope this means you'll finally admit you are wrong about something. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

It was hard to find it but if you dig on the state site link click on "What does Regional Stay At Home Order Do?"

I hope this means you'll finally admit you are wrong about something. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
I was right that I couldn't find it!

I can see why he wouldn't highlight it in the press conference. It's a stupid decision.

3 year olds playing outside are not even a medium size risk. Parents chatting at the edges might be, but that's what masks are for.

At least they put bars, cardrooms, and dining on the list. Those should have been closed months ago.

You can ignore the differences for the sake of argument, but that won't make them go away.

Oh this is supersweat...on the same day I caught Dad being outright wrong and get to catch espola....maybe the day's not such a total burnout afterall

I was right that I couldn't find it!

I can see why he wouldn't highlight it in the press conference. It's a stupid decision.

3 year olds playing outside are not even a medium size risk. Parents chatting at the edges might be, but that's what masks are for.

At least they put bars, cardrooms, and dining on the list. Those should have been closed months ago.

The true idiocy of it all is that despite our disagreements, we actually agree on 90% of the policy prescriptions. You're just 90% wrong on the reasoning. :rolleyes:

The true idiocy of it all is that despite our disagreements, we actually agree on 90% of the policy prescriptions. You're just 90% wrong on the reasoning. :rolleyes:
I think we mostly disagree about the utility of masks. That’s more a question of viewing them as PPE ( they stink ), or as a device to slow transmission (they do ok.)

I think we mostly disagree about the utility of masks. That’s more a question of viewing them as PPE ( they stink ), or as a device to slow transmission (they do ok.)

The reading comprehension always alludes you. I said we agree on the policy prescription: which is people should wear masks. We probably disagree on the edges (e.g. masks outside are stupid) but you indicated on a prior post you'd be happy to concede those points in return for a universal indoor mandate. We do disagree on the utility, which is a different question, and one which the experiences around the world has shown you are wrong about.

This is too convoluted not to be something like that. Or, maybe these are the bans delivered by their Shutdown Ouija Board. Figures, CA got a board with a spirit that hates soccer.

Back