Bad News Thread

Cal on demographics and COVID deaths:

When policy and science are aligned, I’ll support actions taken. All is for the best in the best of all possible worlds. Which ‘best world’ expresses your world view will color the conversation... for me, it’s the kids.

Cal on demographics and COVID deaths:

When policy and science are aligned, I’ll support actions taken. All is for the best in the best of all possible worlds. Which ‘best world’ expresses your world view will color the conversation... for me, it’s the kids.
It's straight up criminal that kids aren't back in school. I understood (but didn't agree with) online learning last spring, but the fact the kids didn't return in fall with all the overwhelming evidence supporting it is just political. F%&k the unions.

It's straight up criminal that kids aren't back in school. I understood (but didn't agree with) online learning last spring, but the fact the kids didn't return in fall with all the overwhelming evidence supporting it is just political. F%&k the unions.
The stats have been there from day one regarding younger people.

They have no risk. It also turns out school are not spreading events either as many in the news and here have long predicted.

As of today on the CDC website they show a TOTAL of 515 deaths in the US of people 24 and under.

And we shut down schools because of that number?
We shut down colleges and college sports?
We have people on these boards wondering if it is safe for their kids to go play soccer, to hang out with friends, etc?

By the way...in that age group 24 and under so far this year there have been about 50k deaths from other illness, accidents, etc. That happens year after year. With that stat we just say OK so? And move on with our lives. And yet with 500 or so deaths a substantial portion of our population thinks not going to school is a rational and good idea.

The news is claiming that England's 2nd lockdown reduced Covid infections by 30%....schools were kept open during that time. Kids risk of infection is actually lower in school than not.

The news is claiming that England's 2nd lockdown reduced Covid infections by 30%....schools were kept open during that time. Kids risk of infection is actually lower in school than not.
There was an Independent study done in NYC schools that showed the same......yet in CA, here we are.

So the El Paso mayor had this to say today.

"“We did a deep dive in our contact tracing for the week of November the 10th through the 16th and found that 55% of the positives were coming from shopping at large retailers, what we’d term as the big box stores,” Margo said. “And those are considered essential under CISA guidelines under homeland security. And we don’t really have- I don’t have any control over any limitations there.”

I think @dad4 thinks bars are the driver though ;)

Rumors flying in our local paper that governor intends to announce lockdowns tomorrow

Not surprising. I’ve been thinking that since the press conference on Monday... my guess was Thursday...

The press conference from Monday indicated a ‘deep purple’ expansion of mitigation efforts, if the trends continued and may be drastic.

Last week, the local reporting was often about how to expect an increase this week due to impacted testing and reporting over the Holiday Weekend.

I’m guessing this was a known outcome and Monday’s Press conference was a trial balloon as to how it would be received.... it made my apple newsfeed and was well received by the media.

Ha! Maybe he's trying to catch it at the top so he can take credit. It is likely very close - especially in the areas that were hit hard the first wave. Santa Clara county, not so close. Ugh. I think it's going to be a while. @dad4

View attachment 9558
As you said, SCC has a long way to go to get out of purple. I wonder which political morons leaned on the health dept. to open up restaurants.

We will know more in a few days as the Thanksgiving infections start to come in. Maybe people were smart enough to have their meals separately.

Not betting on it. Now they have to choose whether to close retail in December, or risk running out of ICU space.

So the El Paso mayor had this to say today.

"“We did a deep dive in our contact tracing for the week of November the 10th through the 16th and found that 55% of the positives were coming from shopping at large retailers, what we’d term as the big box stores,” Margo said. “And those are considered essential under CISA guidelines under homeland security. And we don’t really have- I don’t have any control over any limitations there.”

I think @dad4 thinks bars are the driver though ;)
Really?

No one in the country has managed to contact trace 55% of their positive cases. Wonder how they managed it?

Of course, it is just barely possible that the mayor of El Paso has an incentive to blame Walmart even if he lacks real data.

Not saying Walmart is a smart place to be right now, but you need a better data source than a politician.

As you said, SCC has a long way to go to get out of purple. I wonder which political morons leaned on the health dept. to open up restaurants.

We will know more in a few days as the Thanksgiving infections start to come in. Maybe people were smart enough to have their meals separately.

Not betting on it. Now they have to choose whether to close retail in December, or risk running out of ICU space.

While we’re in the bad news thread, since math is a strong point of yours... at the current rate of spread, you can pick a variable for the duration of that spread rate, when do we hit 200,000 test confirmed infections per day. How many days at that rate will it take to achieve heard immunity? How does that compare with the projected timeline for a vaccine to reach widespread access?

While we’re in the bad news thread, since math is a strong point of yours... at the current rate of spread, you can pick a variable for the duration of that spread rate, when do we hit 200,000 test confirmed infections per day. How many days at that rate will it take to achieve heard immunity? How does that compare with the projected timeline for a vaccine to reach widespread access?
I've been looking at the upper midwest to try to guess where confirmed infections tops out.

Seems to be just over 10% if you insist on being macho. (North Dakota plan.)

Means we don't hit pure herd immunity until we are at 34 million confirmed infections. About 100 days at 200k per day.

Mind you, that plan is bat shit crazy stupid. You'd have something like 2 million extra hospitalizations and 200,000 extra deaths.

Check this link out these 3 links. If you look at the first link, you will see we are actually dropping in new cases/day. We'll see if the drop persists despite the holidays. Also, the rate of spread is almost constantly changing and the level needed for herd immunity is debated - some indicating it's as low as 40% (few believe this is likely) others as high as 70%. As dad states, ND might be our test for it. Reaching herd immunity will be regional. HI will likely get there last, sometime this summer and primarily through vaccination, Florida, Texas, Arizona, and a bunch of the heartland may be pretty close in March if the vaccine progresses as expected.

** Daily data and 7-day averages for each state and the US as a whole. As a nation, we are heading down in cases/day (see the top of the page in link below - scroll down to see "mini" case graphs for the states.)

** 7-day new case/day average for each state. This is actually down about 10% from its high last week of 55/100,000

** This estimates the rate of growth of the new cases - how many people each infected individual will infect, on average.

Check this link out these 3 links. If you look at the first link, you will see we are actually dropping in new cases/day.
It’s interesting that Europe is following the same pattern too irrespective of state interventions (Switzerland/Sweden v France/spain). There are some anomalies (eg Germany is still at peak, Canada still rising). It may also point that the coronavirus may be following the classic 1-2-3 waves of influenza and other respiratory illnesses. The question then is does the vaccine get things under control before the third wave hits.

It’s interesting that Europe is following the same pattern too irrespective of state interventions (Switzerland/Sweden v France/spain). There are some anomalies (eg Germany is still at peak, Canada still rising). It may also point that the coronavirus may be following the classic 1-2-3 waves of influenza and other respiratory illnesses. The question then is does the vaccine get things under control before the third wave hits.
At first glance, those still rising when "comparable" neighbors are not had little to no "first wave".

The word "wave" appears to be used ambiguously - even among experts. Fauci warned of "wave after wave" of new infections a few days ago and on October 26 he stated that we are still in "an elongated first wave". So, is CA in the 2nd wave or the elongated first wave? What about TX, AZ, and FL? Graphically, those states are in a 2nd wave. Has HI even had a virus "wave"? Maybe he means that some places are just now experiencing their first wave - although some appear to be well into their second wave. I don't know. I believe we have a good shot at missing a wave this spring if the vaccine gets out as they plan in the states that have considerable seroprevalence. Either way, the death rate should drop considerably - all other things being equal - since a significant proportion of the population at high risk will be vaccinated by March according to plan.

One thing that struck me was how quickly some of the states dropped from the peak (ND, SD, etc.) compared to the "first wave" in other states. Maybe that's what the "little/no intervention" curve looks like.

At first glance, those still rising when "comparable" neighbors are not had little to no "first wave".

The word "wave" appears to be used ambiguously - even among experts. Fauci warned of "wave after wave" of new infections a few days ago and on October 26 he stated that we are still in "an elongated first wave". So, is CA in the 2nd wave or the elongated first wave? What about TX, AZ, and FL? Graphically, those states are in a 2nd wave. Has HI even had a virus "wave"? Maybe he means that some places are just now experiencing their first wave - although some appear to be well into their second wave. I don't know. I believe we have a good shot at missing a wave this spring if the vaccine gets out as they plan in the states that have considerable seroprevalence. Either way, the death rate should drop considerably - all other things being equal - since a significant proportion of the population at high risk will be vaccinated by March according to plan.

One thing that struck me was how quickly some of the states dropped from the peak (ND, SD, etc.) compared to the "first wave" in other states. Maybe that's what the "little/no intervention" curve looks like.

SD and ND are interesting. ND instituted a partial lockdown though a little late. SD didn't. Their cuves are virtually identical (if anything SD is doing a little better).

Back