Bad News Thread

It appears that this was punitive. New level of insanity. I hope a judge puts a stop to it quickly.
The most disappointing part of our democratic republic has been the silence of the judicial branch during this period. Knowing that many of the edicts being put forth by state and local governments are unconstitutional, this branch of government has failed along with the others. It is just another political body and no longer a check against the other branches.

The most disappointing part of our democratic republic has been the silence of the judicial branch during this period. Knowing that many of the edicts being put forth by state and local governments are unconstitutional, this branch of government has failed along with the others. It is just another political body and no longer a check against the other branches.
Maybe

But then again there is this.

In fairness, the case has to be brought to the judges and maybe the attorneys' aren't making the right arguments. How my daughter's dance studio gets closed down but strip clubs can stay open is proof that this is all a charade.

There was a hearing today regarding the order shuttering outdoor dining. The health experts were hard pressed to explain the science behind the decision. The Supervisors took a vote 2-3...the order stands.

There was a hearing today regarding the order shuttering outdoor dining. The health experts were hard pressed to explain the science behind the decision. The Supervisors took a vote 2-3...the order stands.
What truly amazes me is how much power these unelected experts are weilding. And to the extent there is a political check on them, it's the supervisors. I don't know about you guys, but I've never voted on a supervisor in recent memory, let alone gone out and researched what their potential positions might be on shutdowns when faced with an emergency. At the minimum, for all Newsom's faults, I voted for governor and can hold him accountable for the decisions and generally know where he stands by way of partisan politics, but until all this started I paid more attention to our local council than the supervisors.

Biden telling NBC today schools should be open as soon as possible. O.k....but where were you on this issue months ago when it actually could have made a difference?

Biden telling NBC today schools should be open as soon as possible. O.k....but where were you on this issue months ago when it actually could have made a difference?

As soon as possible under what conditions? Vaccine? Hope not. If so, we’re talking Fall.

Maybe

But then again there is this.

In fairness, the case has to be brought to the judges and maybe the attorneys' aren't making the right arguments. How my daughter's dance studio gets closed down but strip clubs can stay open is proof that this is all a charade.
The Libertarian side of me says when in doubt enforce the rights the constitution guarantees. If a judge even loosely enforces these rights then much of what is being done in this pandemic should be overturned. The issue is mandates are being enacted by the governor everyday. Lawsuits take time and money and without a judiciary willing to stand up for the people and their rights allows this nonsense to continue.

As soon as possible under what conditions? Vaccine? Hope not. If so, we’re talking Fall.

Well have longer to wait for that. It's taken him this long to even say we should try and open them. He reprimanded CBS reporter Bo Erikson 3 days ago for shouting out a question on school openings 3 days ago.

This guy raises the concern that masks may be contributing to the aerosolizing of COVID. For the record, it's probably not true but it does raise an interesting possibility for thought......

I don't see that. What I see is a lot of hand-waving. "Trust me, I used to work for the experts on this.

I also find it curious that you posted the Mark Twain quote. Lack of self-awareness, I suppose.

I bet New Mexican’s are wishing they voted for a fan of “The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy”. At least then the “answer” might have been 42 instead of 4.

I can't resist this side-track. In the Guide, 42 is the answer to the Ultimate Question of life, the universe, and everything. That ultimate question is "what is 6 times 9?" 42 is the correct answer in base 13.

La county supervisors meeting today to discuss banning all in person and outdoor gatherings. Would essentially ban all thanksgiving gatherings (good luck with that) but potentially will also impact sports practices and private trainings (subject to local enforcement of course). Outdoor church and protests exempted.

La county supervisors meeting today to discuss banning all in person and outdoor gatherings. Would essentially ban all thanksgiving gatherings (good luck with that) but potentially will also impact sports practices and private trainings (subject to local enforcement of course). Outdoor church and protests exempted.
So the virus is more communicable indoors, so they want to ban all outdoor gatherings so everyone has to shelter indoors. Got it!

Sooo, the COVID19.CA.GOV site has a mantra, “This data drives decisions that keep California healthy and safe.” So I did some digging to see how the numbers could be driving these further “lockdowns” and found something interesting. July 24th was the previous “high point” for Covid in CA, at which time Outdoor dining was Open (and remains open) and we saw a recovery. So I compared the data to more recent numbers (11/23 to be exact), after the state announced we are shutting down Outdoor Dining and implementing a curfew.

New Positive Cases:
7/24 - 10,066
11/23 - 15,329

New Deaths w/ Covid
7/24 - 151 (14 day rolling ave. 99.4)
11/23 - 43 (14 day rolling ave. 54.9)

Total Tests:
7/24 - 131,479
11/23 - 283,819

Positivity Rate:
7/24 - 7.5%
11/23 - 5.6%

Hospitalizations:
7/24 - 8,444
11/24 - 6,641

ICU Beds Available:
7/24 - 2,572
11/23 - 2,126 (3rd straight day of increased availability)

So remind me again why we are once again sacrificing small business owners and people’s livelihoods?

Sooo, the COVID19.CA.GOV site has a mantra, “This data drives decisions that keep California healthy and safe.” So I did some digging to see how the numbers could be driving these further “lockdowns” and found something interesting. July 24th was the previous “high point” for Covid in CA, at which time Outdoor dining was Open (and remains open) and we saw a recovery. So I compared the data to more recent numbers (11/23 to be exact), after the state announced we are shutting down Outdoor Dining and implementing a curfew.

New Positive Cases:
7/24 - 10,066
11/23 - 15,329

New Deaths w/ Covid
7/24 - 151 (14 day rolling ave. 99.4)
11/23 - 43 (14 day rolling ave. 54.9)

Total Tests:
7/24 - 131,479
11/23 - 283,819

Positivity Rate:
7/24 - 7.5%
11/23 - 5.6%

Hospitalizations:
7/24 - 8,444
11/24 - 6,641

ICU Beds Available:
7/24 - 2,572
11/23 - 2,126 (3rd straight day of increased availability)

So remind me again why we are once again sacrificing small business owners and people’s livelihoods?
This state and much of this country is run by a extremely political band of misfits who don’t believe in the constitution. Can’t think of any scientific or data driven reasons.

Back