Bad News Thread

I've figured out what's happening in California. NoCal is trying to F with SoCal. NoCal has a self esteem problem and is jealous of SoCal (likely because our beaches and soccer teams are so much better than theirs). Look at how Newsom lashed out at OC early in the pandemic and closed OC beaches. Also look how its all the NoCal politicians that are so sanctimonious about their restrictions, but are the ones that ignore them. Pelosi, Newsom, Mayor of SF and Mayor of SJ do as they please, while they come down harshly on any SoCal rule breakers. Just like Russia fomented controversy and discontent on Facebook to guarantee a Trump victory 2016, NoCal is planting surrogates on Socalsoccer.com to create an atmosphere of fear and lash out at any perceived rule breakers. You think its just a coincidence that Dad4 is from NoCal? You may want to rethink that. Qanon has nothing on me.

So here's what I'm hearing about the new state lockdowns. Youth sports will continue as guided/distanced. It probably doubles down on the stupid LA County moves to end outdoor dining and to restrict private gatherings (which no one will pay attention to). Their problem is there are now so many carve outs (school waivers, supreme court church decisions, protests, favored businesses), that they are getting pushed back hard by key interest groups all arguing they should be given exemptions. I'd still get my haircuts this week just in case if you need one.

I can't believe they are still wedded to these stupid projections. None of them have EVER panned out.

Which projections do you like better?

Or would you prefer that we made policy without the use of projections?

I'd prefer they fix the projections, but every time team reality has attempted to do that they've been attacked as heretics. Building government policy time after time on bad projections is not good governance. So yes, given the choices we're left with, I'd prefer we made policy without the use of projections. I know...I know...shocking and inconceivable to a math teacher divorced from practical applications in the real world. Bad math is worse than no math.

Are you familiar with the story of the boy who called wolf?

All kidding aside, I'm concerned with spikes in the hospitalizations fortunately SD County is far from capacity and as we've seen these waves burnout after a few weeks. Lets not rehash the debate caused by dire predictions of one poster from a couple months ago who was adamant that OC would run out of ICU beds.

I trust history over models.

I'd prefer they fix the projections, but every time team reality has attempted to do that they've been attacked as heretics. Building government policy time after time on bad projections is not good governance. So yes, given the choices we're left with, I'd prefer we made policy without the use of projections. I know...I know...shocking and inconceivable to a math teacher divorced from practical applications in the real world. Bad math is worse than no math.
Great. Now is the perfect time for “team reality” to step up and show how awesome they are at predicting pandemics.

Post a link to the “team reality“ covid ICU forecast for Dec 31 and January 31, and we can look at it in 9 weeks.

Looking forward to February, when I can properly admire the amazingly accurate ‘team reality” forecast.

Great. Now is the perfect time for “team reality” to step up and show how awesome they are at predicting pandemics.

Post a link to the “team reality“ covid ICU forecast for Dec 31 and January 31, and we can look at it in 9 weeks.

Looking forward to February, when I can properly admire the amazingly accurate ‘team reality” forecast.

To do that you need a publisher and you need the cooperation of government. Since most of government is not on team reality, this is akin to arguing in the days before space travel prove the moon isn't made up of cheese and then complaining when they won't send up a rocket mission. Plus, as we've seen with the Danish mask study, the scientific community is punishing unorthodox thought with a stunning ferocity. Scott Atlas is exhibit A

The closest wehave to these projections are from the Swedish health ministry, which also erred on the high side of their projections, or the Russian and Belarussian ones, which are tainted by obvious politics.

She: I have told you a dozen times that if you don't slow down before the curve, you are going off the road.
He: I have put the brakes on every time just like you said, and we never went off the road - so I'm not listening to you any more.

Are you familiar with the story of the boy who called wolf?

All kidding aside, I'm concerned with spikes in the hospitalizations fortunately SD County is far from capacity and as we've seen these waves burnout after a few weeks. Lets not rehash the debate caused by dire predictions of one poster from a couple months ago who was adamant that OC would run out of ICU beds.

I trust history over models.

Models are based on history.

To do that you need a publisher and you need the cooperation of government. Since most of government is not on team reality, this is akin to arguing in the days before space travel prove the moon isn't made up of cheese and then complaining when they won't send up a rocket mission. Plus, as we've seen with the Danish mask study, the scientific community is punishing unorthodox thought with a stunning ferocity. Scott Atlas is exhibit A

The closest wehave to these projections are from the Swedish health ministry, which also erred on the high side of their projections, or the Russian and Belarussian ones, which are tainted by obvious politics.

Coocoo.

She: I have told you a dozen times that if you don't slow down before the curve, you are going off the road.
He: I have put the brakes on every time just like you said, and we never went off the road - so I'm not listening to you any more.

If true the projections would have held for South Dakota, Florida, Switzerland, and Sweden at a minimum. They didn't.

Models are based on history.

This is the funniest thing you've ever written.

Link. “Team reality“ needs to post a link.

You are criticizing other people's projections when you have none of your own to test.

If you can do it better, post a link to a "team reality" projection. We can wait two months and see how accurate it was.

Otherwise, you are "team blowhard".

Link. “Team reality“ needs to post a link.

You are criticizing other people's projections when you have none of your own to test.

If you can do it better, post a link to a "team reality" projection. We can wait two months and see how accurate it was.

Otherwise, you are "team blowhard".

Much rather be on team blowhard than on team scared and delusional

Much rather be on team blowhard than on team scared and delusional
So we are back to psychiatric evaluations of those who disagree with you?

Don't forget to paste your words into a meme generator. That will really prove your point.

We both know that forecasts are difficult. Criticizing forecasts without making them is dirty pool. So don't do it.

The Danish mask study correctly demonstrated that surgical masks on the receiving end reduce risk to the wearer by less than 50%.

Then, some fools on the internet misinterpreted the study to claim that masks do not work overall.

Do we need to go back to the study to remember what it does, and does not, say? Or can we agree to stop misrepresenting the study?

Back