Bad News Thread

What, is it still April 2020 on your planet?

Nice to see that you found a new unqualified person to spout the misinformation this time. This one is a Senior Lecturer in Mechanical Engineering. Not even a professor, and talking well outside his field at that.
Imagine that.

Not really about size at all. My current belief is that the main benefit of a mask is that it slows your breath, giving the infected air time to diffuse and rise before it reaches the next person.

Hard to measure that in a lab, though. You would need something like the experiment with two mannequin heads, but in a large room and using warm, moist air.

Large room, so the exhalations have room to diffuse. Warm air, because breath is warm and rises. Moist air, because some masks have hydrophilic fibers and some do not.

My guess is even a bandana has a significant impact at slowing your breath, though it is not a very good filter.
Let me meditate on this a bit.

In the UK cases are now nearing the winter peak. But deaths remain on the floor, even below the first wave, at around 40-50 per day.

It seems that "seasonal" now means that it is likely to peak in any season.

Not really about size at all. My current belief is that the main benefit of a mask is that it slows your breath, giving the infected air time to diffuse and rise before it reaches the next person.

Hard to measure that in a lab, though. You would need something like the experiment with two mannequin heads, but in a large room and using warm, moist air.

Large room, so the exhalations have room to diffuse. Warm air, because breath is warm and rises. Moist air, because some masks have hydrophilic fibers and some do not.

My guess is even a bandana has a significant impact at slowing your breath, though it is not a very good filter.

O.k. It took me a while to process this. This is either: a) a desperate attempt to rationalize and find a way masks works, even against the rising Delta variant which if you assume arguendo masks worked at the beginning and stopped Asia's waves no longer are doing much good, or b) a brilliant new way of thinking of this which has been overlooked by others. I accept that b) is possible, even though its far more than likely its an a) blue pill clinging sort of rationalization attempt.

The only real critique I can offer is that, particular for at least some asthmatics, it works the other way. My breath actually accelerates when wearing a mask (which is one of the reasons I have a personal dislike of them and its not just a minor inconvenience), particularly if my activity level does not slow down from the applicable state. But I have no idea what % of asthmatics it might happen (though given the online complaints it might be substantial) or what portion of the US population would be affect so that it would even be material.

O.k. It took me a while to process this. This is either: a) a desperate attempt to rationalize and find a way masks works, even against the rising Delta variant which if you assume arguendo masks worked at the beginning and stopped Asia's waves no longer are doing much good, or b) a brilliant new way of thinking of this which has been overlooked by others. I accept that b) is possible, even though its far more than likely its an a) blue pill clinging sort of rationalization attempt.

The only real critique I can offer is that, particular for at least some asthmatics, it works the other way. My breath actually accelerates when wearing a mask (which is one of the reasons I have a personal dislike of them and its not just a minor inconvenience), particularly if my activity level does not slow down from the applicable state. But I have no idea what % of asthmatics it might happen (though given the online complaints it might be substantial) or what portion of the US population would be affect so that it would even be material.

Please rewrite this completely, with the objectives of being more clear and using half as many words. It's just gobbledygook as it sits.

yeah, yeah. blue pill, red pill, pink pill, whatevah. Let’s go back to thinking.

Speed of breath in terms of meters per second, not breaths per minute.

That is, how fast is your breath travelling once it is 5 inches from your face? (and what does that imply about the distance it travels in the first 3 seconds after you exhale?)

An asthmatic thinking about speed of breath is thinking about breaths per minute. That’s an important question for personal comfort, but does not affect the velocity I’m talking about.

A simple test is to wet your finger and put it in front of your face. Your breath will cool it when you talk- but not if you have a mask on. The mask is slowing the velocity of your exhalation.

yeah, yeah. blue pill, red pill, pink pill, whatevah. Let’s go back to thinking.

Speed of breath in terms of meters per second, not breaths per minute.

That is, how fast is your breath travelling once it is 5 inches from your face? (and what does that imply about the distance it travels in the first 3 seconds after you exhale?)

An asthmatic thinking about speed of breath is thinking about breaths per minute. That’s an important question for personal comfort, but does not affect the velocity I’m talking about.

A simple test is to wet your finger and put it in front of your face. Your breath will cool it when you talk- but not if you have a mask on. The mask is slowing the velocity of your exhalation.

No one can answer your “Masks work, right?” question. You are asking for a boolean answer to a non-boolean question. It’s no more meaningful than asking whether a goalie blocks goals- and insisting that the only possible answers are “yes” and “no”.

Masks reduce the probability of transmission. That’s all. They do not come close to eliminating transmission.

The argument for masks, distance, and moving things outside has nothing to do with eliminating transmission. If you try to think of it in those terms, you will never get your head around it.

All of these measures work by reducing transmission. The goal isn’t zero. Zero isn’t even possible. The goal is to keep cutting transmission in half until it is less than one.

This is why public health officials can‘t just let you go away and do your thing. What good does it do if 70% of us are busy cutting our transmission, while 30% of you keep spreading disease? The disease will continue to spread, because, no matter what the rest of us do, your 30% is enough to keep transmission above 1.

How about natural immunity?

You still have the wrong answer.

The answer isn't "Maybe". There is not doubt about it. We know that masks reduce the odds of transmission.
No. You don't. You continue to ignore natural immunity. Which makes it easy to discredit you and those that think the same as you.

How about natural immunity?

By which you mean an adaptive (ie making antibodies) response to Cov-2 acquired through infection?

Or do you mean natural immunity as in a broad conception of innate immunity, encompassing all the processes that prevent healthy people from getting sick in the first place. The interconnection between physical/mental vitality affecting a host of processes like complement, interferon, endogenous RNA viral genome chopping stuff, etc?

Back