ASD Loyal takes a stand

I agree I was called a bunch of stuff as well as my mother, sister, etc. back in the day. Not saying it was right. Different world we live in today...many people are very sensitive, on edge, woke, and offended by just about anything that is said. You gotta be careful what you say, because your opinion, belief, or perspective can get you in hot water if somebody finds it “offensive” or if it is different from theirs.

Yeah, I guess people gotta be careful about their gay slurs cuz somebody might find it “offensive.” How ridiculous that people don’t just let bigotry slide.

I’m not denying it was said...or supporting it...or saying their choice to walk off was wrong...Personally I’d be calling out the other coach, refs, etc...the league...I’m just saying I would not have walked off and let a shitbag take something from me. There are many ways to go about fighting against something that is wrong. Walking off in protest is one way, not the only way.

There was something similar in the NBA recently where one player said something to another, it was racial, heard by many and it was worked out. Nobody walked off the court, people took responsibility, and moved on.

Not everything needs a be a social justice movement...some people are just assholes, need to be called on it...hopefully they learn and change...always going to be assholes in the world. No cure for that.

Not everything needs to a place where it’s ok to engage in bigotry.

Of course, given the magnitude of this epic soccer match between two teams no one has ever heard of
in a league no one has ever heard of, maybe the stakes were just so great that they should have just excused bigotry. I mean, how will these players and their army of fans ever recover if they don’t make the playoffs. Lives are at stake for god’s sake!

Yeah, I guess people gotta be careful about their gay slurs cuz somebody might find it “offensive.” How ridiculous that people don’t just let bigotry slide.

Dude...get back under your rock...never said anything of the like. As always...thanks for stirring the pot.

People say reprehensible and cruel shit all the time. Consider the source...kind of like how I think about the things you post...I said it before, I’m not letting some asshole take something from me that I earned and walk out in protest because he/she said something. Many ways to stand-up and address the wrongs in the world. Walking away is one, not backing down is another. Many different ways.

And yes...I believe people are way too sensitive about way too many things. Especially when people are offended by a dissenting opinion as in today’s world...

Grow up...you know I’m not talking about racial, homophobic, supremicist (sp?) beliefs, etc.

Keep stirring it up...you do a great job!

I'm glad you stood your ground to do the right thing. I've always respected the refs that have admonished and then carry out the consequences. I agree that the association should support refs and make sure they emphasize this is the normal expectation in youth sports, all sports. Hopefully what happened at the Albion tournament earlier this year and this stance by the Loyals will make the ref association and leadership more supportive of refs admonishing and carrying out consequences for bad actors. If the leadership doesn't, tell us who we need to write to or how to show the ref team our support for doing the right thing.

Woobie06 and Crush - I would have done the same thing but I'm glad someone else found a long term solution. The problem with our individual quiet action is - ref associations and managing associations have not and will not create rules or enforce rules to prevent these repetitive problems and they continue to be long term problems.

In light of the fact that this is a recurring problem, not handled properly by the coaches and referees, and is occurring during the course of the game, the SD Loyal's actions were necessary.

One loss to force the league and ref association to make a good change towards these types of bad acts in ALL future games? Worth it. They've gained a fan. Looking into season tickets next season for our entire family. Karma. We tell our kids, there's more to winning and losing in games but we rarely are good examples of this. This is one we can actually point to and it's soccer related.
Hopefully the refs can do a better job listening for this crap when someone is losing and stop turning a blind ear. My good friend, who is black was called all sorts of names in the 80s. Horrible and 100% needed to be dealt with then and now if folks still say mean things on the pitch. My other friend played in the NBA and they said crap too. Big babies always resort to name calling when their getting their asses kicked. I'm old school, meaning I have my teammates back, regardless of religion, sexual preference that week or forever and doesn't matter skin color and economic back ground. If you battle with me in sport, at work or at war, I have your back 100%. I swear to God almighty!!! All these woke white dudes have been selfish for too long and they saw that they were losing and got woke. I just hate it when they project their sins on me just because of being a white guy. I knew one kid that got to play all the time because daddy was rich. I also heard that many non deserving students and athletes got into Cal with a little help from a friend. Great October we got so far.

Hopefully the refs can do a better job listening for this crap when someone is losing and stop turning a blind ear. My good friend, who is black was called all sorts of names in the 80s. Horrible and 100% needed to be dealt with then and now if folks still say mean things on the pitch. My other friend played in the NBA and they said crap too. Big babies always resort to name calling when their getting their asses kicked. I'm old school, meaning I have my teammates back, regardless of religion, sexual preference that week or forever and doesn't matter skin color and economic back ground. If you battle with me in sport, at work or at war, I have your back 100%. I swear to God almighty!!! All these woke white dudes have been selfish for too long and they saw that they were losing and got woke. I just hate it when they project their sins on me just because of being a white guy. I knew one kid that got to play all the time because daddy was rich. I also heard that many non deserving students and athletes got into Cal with a little help from a friend. Great October we got so far.
I agree. No one should be lumping people together because of their race.

Woobie - I blocked EOTL a long time ago. One of my better decisions.

I am fine with a red or yellow for language, including racist taunts. It’s in the rules; if you don’t want to get benched, don’t say it.

But there is a place for having a thick skin, too. We seem to be forgetting how to ignore stupid shit.

Not all referees are going to crack down on every comment. Depending on the league, referees are somewhat used to hearing and ignoring stupid comments. Given the comments they have to listen to, it is not surprising that some refs expect others to be able to ignore things, too.

Yes, I applaud Landon for doing this. These imbeciles and their enablers (people like the coach saying "is part of the game"), need to go.

Now, I have to say, if I had been the referee, I wouldn't have taken that insult seriously because I really didn't know what it meant (until this thread). And I wouldn't have taken the word of the opposite coach to red card the offender...

Question for the refs: What's the right thing to do when the derogatory insults is in another language or regional slang? Should refs know ahead of the game where players are from and have a list of derogatory terms from those players' countries? Should let things go, research after the games what things mean and then sanction after the fact (include a note in the game report or whatnot)?

I am fine with a red or yellow for language, including racist taunts. It’s in the rules; if you don’t want to get benched, don’t say it.

But there is a place for having a thick skin, too. We seem to be forgetting how to ignore stupid shit.

Not all referees are going to crack down on every comment. Depending on the league, referees are somewhat used to hearing and ignoring stupid comments. Given the comments they have to listen to, it is not surprising that some refs expect others to be able to ignore things, too.
Thick skin is a must and you're not going to survive in life if you can't ignore shit bc life doesn't have the ignore button like this forum - Thanks Dominic for that option.

Refs are not going to catch everything, but when they do, they should consistently apply the rules bc that's their job and it's important to help keep the players focused on playing soccer rather than focused on trying to be thick skinned and trying to ignore people.

Yes, I applaud Landon for doing this. These imbeciles and their enablers (people like the coach saying "is part of the game"), need to go.

Now, I have to say, if I had been the referee, I wouldn't have taken that insult seriously because I really didn't know what it meant (until this thread). And I wouldn't have taken the word of the opposite coach to red card the offender...

Question for the refs: What's the right thing to do when the derogatory insults is in another language or regional slang? Should refs know ahead of the game where players are from and have a list of derogatory terms from those players' countries? Should let things go, research after the games what things mean and then sanction after the fact (include a note in the game report or whatnot)?
Google Translate:) but in this case, it was confirmed by others as to the meaning of the words. I'm sure I would have done the same thing this ref did. This will force the league and ref association to clarify how to handle situations like this.

Google Translate:) but in this case, it was confirmed by others as to the meaning of the words. I'm sure I would have done the same thing this ref did. This will force the league and ref association to clarify how to handle situations like this.
You really want the ref pausing the game so he can look up every bit of trash talk he can’t recognize?

We can’t even get refs to blow a whistle for straight leg slide tackling an opponents ankle. You think they’ll pause the game so they can look up “Nai Nai?”

You really want the ref pausing the game so he can look up every bit of trash talk he can’t recognize?

We can’t even get refs to blow a whistle for straight leg slide tackling an opponents ankle. You think they’ll pause the game so they can look up “Nai Nai?”
No, whatever they are capable of catching or have seriously been alerted to.

You all are missing a key point. Both teams had discussed the racial slur that happened the previous week. All players on both teams knew the plan to stop the game around the 70th minute and come together to display a banner against hateful speach. Knowing this the player on the other team still dropped this slur and the opposing coach still defending it as no big deal and part of the game.

What happened to the good old days of a solid ass kicking?

Now we talk about our feelings and if that fails its then civil court.

If you feared being punched in the mouth these words would never come out to start with.

You all are missing a key point. Both teams had discussed the racial slur that happened the previous week. All players on both teams knew the plan to stop the game around the 70th minute and come together to display a banner against hateful speach. Knowing this the player on the other team still dropped this slur and the opposing coach still defending it as no big deal and part of the game.

Agreed. The other coach just blew it off completely and I can't support that.

Agreed. The other coach just blew it off completely and I can't support that.
OR, maybe he didn't say it, like he and others on his team claim. Flemings is considered a stand up guy in the PR organization.

I guess it really doesn't matter, another news cycle has set in, this story now goes to the circular inbox.

I am curious, does the ref need to hear a slur or can someone just whisper it to another player? So if any team is losing on the scoreboard, they just have to whisper a slur in the opposing player's ear and the Loyals will forfeit? Hmm? Should be interesting since whispering in someone's ear is a lot easier than scoring a goal.
Seriously?

Back