ASD Loyal takes a stand

Read that article this morning. Good for them for taking a stand as a team. No place for that crap. I read how the LAGII player from the previous week mutually decided to part ways after doing something similar. That’s one way to do it....

The other, up 3-1 is continue to dominate, win the game, embarrass them, move on, and communicate after the game what happened, and bring attention to it that way...bring attention to the shitbag that said it.

I could not imagine an MLS team or any other major pro team exiting a game, walking off the field in an elimination match/game or any game. Probably will happen in this “woke” world we find ourselves in. Too much at stake. There are always going to be shitbags out there...don’t let the shitbag force you to take your marbles and go home...force the shitbag to leave.

Read that article this morning. Good for them for taking a stand as a team. No place for that crap. I read how the LAGII player from the previous week mutually decided to part ways after doing something similar. That’s one way to do it....

The other, up 3-1 is continue to dominate, win the game, embarrass them, move on, and communicate after the game what happened, and bring attention to it that way...bring attention to the shitbag that said it.

I could not imagine an MLS team or any other major pro team exiting a game, walking off the field in an elimination match/game or any game. Probably will happen in this “woke” world we find ourselves in. Too much at stake. There are always going to be shitbags out there...don’t let the shitbag force you to take your marbles and go home...force the shitbag to leave.
I say kick their ass on the field and get that point but that's how I rolled when I was a kid. I would have gathered the team together and told Colin we have your back and let's kick their asses right now. Walking off the field and losing playoff point is rough. I was called a lot worse things when I played ball btw. Revenge on the field is the only place to win imo. The player accused of using homophobic language put out a statement and is 100% saying he never said such a thing and he's getting hammered online. Landon is an interesting person. I hope we can get back to soccer and keep all this stuff out of the game. Their is a way to handle things on the field. Maybe those days are over for good.

I say kick their ass on the field and get that point but that's how I rolled when I was a kid. I would have gathered the team together and told Colin we have your back and let's kick their asses right now. Walking off the field and losing playoff point is rough. I was called a lot worse things when I played ball btw. Revenge on the field is the only place to win imo. The player accused of using homophobic language put out a statement and is 100% saying he never said such a thing and he's getting hammered online. Landon is an interesting person. I hope we can get back to soccer and keep all this stuff out of the game. Their is a way to handle things on the field. Maybe those days are over for good.

I agree I was called a bunch of stuff as well as my mother, sister, etc. back in the day. Not saying it was right. Different world we live in today...many people are very sensitive, on edge, woke, and offended by just about anything that is said. You gotta be careful what you say, because your opinion, belief, or perspective can get you in hot water if somebody finds it “offensive” or if it is different from theirs.

Refreshing as I hear too many selfish justifications not to do the right thing these days. "Loyal head coach Landon Donovan's said giving up the point would likely keep them out of the playoffs, but said he's not worried about that if it means doing the right thing."

For decades, players have just played through this type of "crap" and tried to support each other but it didn't change the leagues. A meaningful action like this, where it does decide a playoff spot, may actually bring change to the league and sports culture.

Their protest is not "a jerk said crap" but because the league did nothing to punish the action. Referees heard it but ignored it like they did in the previous game. An ejection from the game, fine and suspension would have been the right move and prevented the walk off. I hear this type of talk in youth soccer games by parents, coaches, and players. Referees ignore it all the time while it happens during the game. How many times have we told our kids to just deal with it because that's the way the world is. "That crazy soccer mom/dad/player is just jealous of your skills kid!" Maybe it doesn't need to be that way.

Good for the Loyals. Trying to find a peaceful solution and willing to sacrifice for it. Do as Jesus would.

Read that article this morning. Good for them for taking a stand as a team. No place for that crap. I read how the LAGII player from the previous "Players and both team coaches reportedly heard the slur but the match referees did nothing about it," the club said.week mutually decided to part ways after doing something similar. That’s one way to do it....

"Players and both team coaches reportedly heard the slur but the match referees did nothing about it," the club said.

I am curious, does the ref need to hear a slur or can someone just whisper it to another player? So if any team is losing on the scoreboard, they just have to whisper a slur in the opposing player's ear and the Loyals will forfeit? Hmm? Should be interesting since whispering in someone's ear is a lot easier than scoring a goal.

Refreshing as I hear too many selfish justifications not to do the right thing these days. "Loyal head coach Landon Donovan's said giving up the point would likely keep them out of the playoffs, but said he's not worried about that if it means doing the right thing."

For decades, players have just played through this type of "crap" and tried to support each other but it didn't change the leagues. A meaningful action like this, where it does decide a playoff spot, may actually bring change to the league and sports culture.

Their protest is not "a jerk said crap" but because the league did nothing to punish the action. Referees heard it but ignored it like they did in the previous game. An ejection from the game, fine and suspension would have been the right move and prevented the walk off. I hear this type of talk in youth soccer games by parents, coaches, and players. Referees ignore it all the time while it happens during the game. How many times have we told our kids to just deal with it because that's the way the world is. "That crazy soccer mom/dad/player is just jealous of your skills kid!" Maybe it doesn't need to be that way.

Good for the Loyals. Trying to find a peaceful solution and willing to sacrifice for it. Do as Jesus would.

I’m not disagreeing with you. They definitely stood up for what they believe in. I support that. As a group, they decided this was the right thing to do for them. I guess, for me, I’m not going let an asshole take something or ruin something for me that I have worked hard to build or earn. There are many things that happen in life that are wrong, people who are dishonest, mean, say reprehensible crap, etc. Does not mean I’m taking my marbles and going home in protest - this goes for both personal and business lives.

"Players and both team coaches reportedly heard the slur but the match referees did nothing about it," the club said.

I’m not denying it was said...or supporting it...or saying their choice to walk off was wrong...Personally I’d be calling out the other coach, refs, etc...the league...I’m just saying I would not have walked off and let a shitbag take something from me. There are many ways to go about fighting against something that is wrong. Walking off in protest is one way, not the only way.

There was something similar in the NBA recently where one player said something to another, it was racial, heard by many and it was worked out. Nobody walked off the court, people took responsibility, and moved on.

Not everything needs a be a social justice movement...some people are just assholes, need to be called on it...hopefully they learn and change...always going to be assholes in the world. No cure for that.

I’m not disagreeing with you. They definitely stood up for what they believe in. I support that. As a group, they decided this was the right thing to do for them. I guess, for me, I’m not going let an asshole take something or ruin something for me that I have worked hard to build or earn. There are many things that happen in life that are wrong, people who are dishonest, mean, say reprehensible crap, etc. Does not mean I’m taking my marbles and going home in protest - this goes for both personal and business lives.
I agree with your philosophy and most of the time on a daily basis, I follow this. However, if it's a problem that CAN be fixed by changing the rules simply by amplify it in a spotlight without violence, one should. As we talk in our team meetings, we always discuss - is this a one off shit thing we have to deal with or does this happen often enough that we have to find a solution to it? Is there a possible short term & long term solution? Obviously they tried one way last week and it didn't work. Hopefully this will bring about a long term solution.

You think they lost? I don't. Sometimes you have to lose the small fish to catch the big fish.
Maybe the USL will do the right thing too - make the appropriate rule changes, then grant the win to the Loyals so they can move forward. Phoenix owner can also come forth and agree to forfeit in light of the situation. Ahh...a world where we actually do the right things and not the right thing for our individual selves only.

I agree with your philosophy and most of the time on a daily basis, I follow this. However, if it's a problem that CAN be fixed by changing the rules simply by amplify it in a spotlight without violence, one should. As we talk in our team meetings, we always discuss - is this a one off shit thing we have to deal with or does this happen often enough that we have to find a solution to it? Is there a possible short term & long term solution? Obviously they tried one way last week and it didn't work. Hopefully this will bring about a long term solution.

You think they lost? I don't. Sometimes you have to lose the small fish to catch the big fish.
Maybe the USL will do the right thing too - make the appropriate rule changes, then grant the win to the Loyals so they can move forward. Phoenix owner can also come forth and agree to forfeit in light of the situation. Ahh...a world where we actually do the right things and not the right thing for our individual selves only.

I agree with almost all of what you said. There needs to be rules, the rules need to be followed, and the rules need to be enforced with consequences. Reminds me a lot of what is going on now in our country.

We disagree on the approach in this situation. I respect your opinion, and the way they handled the situation as a group, it is just not the way I would have gone about it.

Unfortunately this is no longer a cultural value in our country, in case you haven't noticed.
In the LAG II game, the LAG coaches admitted they heard the racial slur, yet did nothing during the game. In addition to terminating the player, there need to be some form of public consequences for the coaching staff. The refs also heard the slur and did nothing. There need to be public consequences for them also.

In the Phoenix game, the Phoenix coach can be heard saying something along the lines of "it's part of the game". At this point we do not know if the Phoenix coaching staff heard the homophobic slur. There needs to be an investigation and consequences within the organization. USL needs to step up as well.

I commend SD Loyal for standing up for their principals. I believe this situation will gain them more fans than winning some soccer games.

You guys are all going crazy about “batty boy”? Did you guys even know what that meant before this? Even in the article, it says it is used as a “homophobic slur” in Jamaica. Any word that is not favorable to some folks is now declared a “homophobic slur”.

I agree with almost all of what you said. There needs to be rules, the rules need to be followed, and the rules need to be enforced with consequences. Reminds me a lot of what is going on now in our country.

We disagree on the approach in this situation. I respect your opinion, and the way they handled the situation as a group, it is just not the way I would have gone about it.
I also respect your opinion and I can see why you would choose not to. This is what most of America is all about. We agree on almost everything, just the minor details on how to do it. We've blown things out of proportion and act like we are so different but we're not. We all want what's best for the country and most of us, for all of humanity.

Donovan handled it pretty well. He investigated and confirmed it was said. He asked the ref to do something about it, ref didn't. He asked the opposing coach to do something about it, opposing coach didn't. Donovan and his team did something about it, peacefully.

Hopefully following this event, there will be rules in the USL going forward and the rules will be enforced with consequences.

I also agree with you that some people make a political stance out of everything for their own benefit and it's becoming a nuisance. There's always going to be people who try to take advantage and then ruin it for everyone else. Those are the people I choose to ignore. Sometimes it's hard to bc it feels like those people make the most noise and are the loudest.

Would you have asked the referee to handle it? Would you have asked the opposing coach to handle it?

You guys are all going crazy about “batty boy”? Did you guys even know what that meant before this? Even in the article, it says it is used as a “homophobic slur” in Jamaica. Any word that is not favorable to some folks is now declared a “homophobic slur”.
What's your point exactly?

One player directed a homophobic slur against another player who is homosexual. The referee confirmed that he heard the slur, but didn't know what it meant.

It wasn't directed at "you guys" on this forum or "some folk". It was directed at someone who knew exactly what it meant.

So is that cool with you? Would it be ok with you if he had directed a homophobic slur that is more main stream? Would that have been OK?

Why should anyone at their place of work be expected to accept abuse due to who they are, be it their sexual orientation or race or religion etc.?

The guy who said it obviously knew what had happened the week before and was going to participate in a 71st minute "action" because that racist slur was and is unacceptable. Then he does this, like what the absolute fuck!

So back to my question, what's your point exactly?

Just because we went through it or said it doesn't make it "right". Evolution -- I love talking trash, but racist and homophobic types of things are out of bounds like moms and sisters. They probably always should have been but weren't and just because someone doesn't know what it means doesn't mean it is ok to direct it at someone. Obviously people in the competition did, so it's meaning had impact.
Personally I agree with the continue to beat them down in the game and then make it public after mentality, but with Landon's explanation I can respect that from a team perspective what they did. It is also soccer and anything can happen, you lose and then bring it up after the game seems like sour grapes. Like everything else there are grey areas in life where we make the best decisions we can at the time and when that decision is done at your expense to the betterment of a team or society it should be respected.

Back