ASD Loyal takes a stand

How often do you, in person, hear someone use a racial term as a slur?

Maybe it is more acceptable in your crowd. In my circle, it just isn’t done. F-bombs on auto repeat would be more polite.

(Maybe outlaw can recommend some good music for those who like F-bombs on autorepeat. I suggest VFW by Dead Milkmen. )

You sort of reinforced my comment with "in my circle". Maybe you should get out of your circle more and see what real life is like.

How often do you, in person, hear someone use a racial term as a slur?

Maybe it is more acceptable in your crowd. In my circle, it just isn’t done. F-bombs on auto repeat would be more polite.

(Maybe outlaw can recommend some good music for those who like F-bombs on autorepeat. I suggest VFW by Dead Milkmen. )

I think this one pretty much paints the picture.

Pussies. In my time, no game would have made it to the end.
There's a prestigious coaching school in Italy called Coverciano. Google it. Some of the coaches who graduated include, Antonio Conte, Claudio Ranieri, Max Allegri. In other words, soccer coaching royalty. Coaches who, if we were ever so lucky, would ever get close to one of our kids. One of the things you learn there is that you can never say, "in my time." You will never graduate. If you say that, it means you do not understand what is happening in the moment, you can't adjust to the game, you are inflexible and incapable of change. You will lose. @anon. That is you. Stay as far away from the game as possible, you are a dinosaur. No one wants to hear from you, your ideas are prehistoric.

You sort of reinforced my comment with "in my circle". Maybe you should get out of your circle more and see what real life is like.
We all have circles. That is how real life is organized.

I take it from your non-response that your circle doesn't make frequent use of racial insults, either. Nor do you hear them very often. That's because most decent people dont talk like that anymore.

We all have circles. That is how real life is organized.

I take it from your non-response that your circle doesn't make frequent use of racial insults, either. Nor do you hear them very often. That's because most decent people dont talk like that anymore.
You are correct that decent people don't talk like that. Based upon my interactions with distant family and various jobs in Klantee, there are many non-decent people in the world. A few years ago I found a KKK recruiting flyer in a new box of Toastie-O's. Yes, I reported it to the police.

You are correct that decent people don't talk like that. Based upon my interactions with distant family and various jobs in Klantee, there are many non-decent people in the world. A few years ago I found a KKK recruiting flyer in a new box of Toastie-O's. Yes, I reported it to the police.
The KKK used to recruit by having the Mayor talk to the businessmen at the local business roundtable. Now they have to put flyers in Toastie-Os. This is not an organization at its peak.

There are also far fewer chapters and far fewer members than there used to be.

Look at the arrest records when the alt-right holds a rally. They tend to be from out of state. That’s because no one state has enough alt-right loons to hold a rally. So, when they want to hold a “unite the right” rally, they need to drive in from all over the place to avoid looking as small as they are.

I’m not saying the alt-right doesn’t exist. But they’re small. We don’t need to run around accusing decent people because we are afraid of a few wingnuts. We need to be kind to each other and let the hate groups die of irrelevance.

As a San Diego native and having a tendency to dig deeper into most glorified stories in the media, I have a slightly different view of this story. While I agree with you that bias, racism, and homophobia are all ugly behavior, I think that there is more to this story.

Here is how I see it from a business/marketing stand point. First Landon Donovan has been trying to break into the San Diego soccer market for several years and has had zero success until now. His MLS expansion failed, he gets a 2nd tier expansion team playing at a rented college stadium, and then SD Loyal lost out on the Sports Arena revamp. Better than nothing I guess. Everyone in San Diego lived through the hype of the San Diego Loyal build up, great things were expected and promised. LD would lead the Loyal to the promised land, San Diego would finally matter. When things didn't work out quite like they expected with covid, racial justice movement, and no games for fans to attend I believe that the team found another way to matter beyond playing good soccer. They would be the most woke team is the USL, everything from their jerseys to every team statement and media appearance. So did it really matter if they made the playoffs the first year. Apparently not, they think that being the most woke team will finally make San Diego matter. We will see if that's enough to keep their fans paying to see forfeits next year. Maybe they can boycott the whole season next year, and show us all how woke they really are. It appears that they subscribe to the Trump school of media coverage, any press is good press.

They have to be financially viable in the end and forfeiting the playoffs their first year is not they way to do it. I just wonder if there will be a second season.

As a San Diego native and having a tendency to dig deeper into most glorified stories in the media, I have a slightly different view of this story. While I agree with you that bias, racism, and homophobia are all ugly behavior, I think that there is more to this story.

Here is how I see it from a business/marketing stand point. First Landon Donovan has been trying to break into the San Diego soccer market for several years and has had zero success until now. His MLS expansion failed, he gets a 2nd tier expansion team playing at a rented college stadium, and then SD Loyal lost out on the Sports Arena revamp. Better than nothing I guess. Everyone in San Diego lived through the hype of the San Diego Loyal build up, great things were expected and promised. LD would lead the Loyal to the promised land, San Diego would finally matter. When things didn't work out quite like they expected with covid, racial justice movement, and no games for fans to attend I believe that the team found another way to matter beyond playing good soccer. They would be the most woke team is the USL, everything from their jerseys to every team statement and media appearance. So did it really matter if they made the playoffs the first year. Apparently not, they think that being the most woke team will finally make San Diego matter. We will see if that's enough to keep their fans paying to see forfeits next year. Maybe they can boycott the whole season next year, and show us all how woke they really are. It appears that they subscribe to the Trump school of media coverage, any press is good press.

They have to be financially viable in the end and forfeiting the playoffs their first year is not they way to do it. I just wonder if there will be a second season.
Interesting take. Quite frankly it's a bit believable based on what's currently happening in our country and some of the outlandish ideas being floated and decisions being made by supposed intelligent people. Dig a litter deeper and you will find that Landon Donovan has displayed questionable judgement at times. Even as a commentator , some of his dialogue has raised eyebrows.

If his goal was to be part of a 24/36 hr news cycle - mission accomplished

I guess we now know that people will go to any length to deny systemic bigotry, as well as the plainly obvious actual reason this happened. Someone used a homophobic slur against the player, or maybe he misheard something he thought was a slur, so they walked off after the opposing coach and the ref failed to take action. That’s it. Trying to claim LD sabotaged their playoff spot because he wanted personal publicity and/or thought it would help them sell tix and swag is ridiculous. It only shows you know nothing about LD.

I completely agree with the take that Landon has been less than ideal as he’s tried to climb the soccer ladder in San Diego. His soccercity involvement was terrible and alienated a lot of people. And he’s tried to make a splash for sure.
but I can’t quite get to his motives for all this is publicity. And from all accounts the whole team was in on this. Did he convince 18 adult men to sacrifice their season so their coach gets on the news?

PHOENIX, Arizona (Tuesday, October 6) – The USL Championship announced today, it has issued a six-game suspension and an undisclosed fine to Phoenix Rising FC midfielder Junior Flemmings for the use of foul and abusive language during the club’s contest against San Diego Loyal SC on September 30.

The coach I dunno no mention in the article but understand he's on leave also.

PHOENIX, Arizona (Tuesday, October 6) – The USL Championship announced today, it has issued a six-game suspension and an undisclosed fine to Phoenix Rising FC midfielder Junior Flemmings for the use of foul and abusive language during the club’s contest against San Diego Loyal SC on September 30.

The coach I dunno no mention in the article but understand he's on leave also.
There ya go. I wonder if he admitted to saying it or is he still denying it and the USL decided this was in the best interest of the league. And no mention of the coach...

That statement has no meaning.
You may not agree with it, but it absolutely has meaning. Being offended is a choice. The choice is that you have given another's words the power to offend you. It's a discussion I have had with my daughter on more than one occasion. I want her to deal with these types of situations by not giving another that power. What is said is a reflection of who they are. Unfortunately, there's a bigger issue of historical bias based on race and sexual preference. So, I believe it should be addressed when it happens. Last year my daughter heard some inappropriate racial language after a game and reported it to the opposing coach. From what my daughter and her teammates relayed, my daughter told the other coach that she wasn't offended, but others might be and she wanted him to know. To the coach's credit, he took the girls aside and talked to them. I feel like that's a good outcome - maybe the best outcome.

You may not agree with it, but it absolutely has meaning. Being offended is a choice. The choice is that you have given another's words the power to offend you. It's a discussion I have had with my daughter on more than one occasion. I want her to deal with these types of situations by not giving another that power. What is said is a reflection of who they are. Unfortunately, there's a bigger issue of historical bias based on race and sexual preference. So, I believe it should be addressed when it happens. Last year my daughter heard some inappropriate racial language after a game and reported it to the opposing coach. From what my daughter and her teammates relayed, my daughter told the other coach that she wasn't offended, but others might be and she wanted him to know. To the coach's credit, he took the girls aside and talked to them. I feel like that's a good outcome - maybe the best outcome.

You make a great point and good on you for parenting. It's so frustratingly hard to raise your kids these days to have emotional intelligence, thick skin, and to think critically - on their own. Not everything is a societal dumpster fire - as advertised by social medial, mainstream media, and academia.

You make a great point and good on you for parenting. It's so frustratingly hard to raise your kids these days to have emotional intelligence, thick skin, and to think critically - on their own. Not everything is a societal dumpster fire - as advertised by social medial, mainstream media, and academia.

I love how some Americans hate smart people (academia) and legitimate journalism (“mainstream media”). No wonder QAnon exists. Teaching kids to be idiots is not teaching “emotional intelligence.”

I love how some Americans hate smart people (academia) and legitimate journalism (“mainstream media”). No wonder QAnon exists. Teaching kids to be idiots is not teaching “emotional intelligence.”
You crack me up. These 3 sentences don't even make sense. legitimate journalism in this country ends with the High School newspaper. Fortunately for the good ol USA, academia is a small, but vocal minority in this country, easily brushed aside and forgotten by people after 4 years + of college. It's ok though, if you seek comfort in the myopic world of academia. You'll snap out of it eventually.

You crack me up. These 3 sentences don't even make sense. legitimate journalism in this country ends with the High School newspaper. Fortunately for the good ol USA, academia is a small, but vocal minority in this country, easily brushed aside and forgotten by people after 4 years + of college. It's ok though, if you seek comfort in the myopic world of academia. You'll snap out of it eventually.

That’s what you tell yourself because you don’t like hearing the truth every single day. You don’t like what experts and intelligent hard working journalists say because you don’t want to believe the truth, because the implication from what they are saying is you are a f**king imbecile.

Listen to yourself. You deny what legitimate media journalists tell you. You deny what experts in their field tell you. You grew up your entire life knowing you’re an idiot and having it beaten into your thick skull every day by your teachers, the intelligent people around you, and now journalists and experts. The only thing that has changed is Fox News made you think for the first time that maybe you aren’t as stupid as you are, but they were only taking advantage of your mental feebleness to sell you s**t like my pillows from their advertisers. The Internet further caused you to think maybe you weren’t so dumb after all because it has allowed all of you dumb people to congregate, giving you the mistaken impression that if such a large number of imbeciles believe something, maybe it’s not so imbecilic after all. And maybe you’re religious, which also made it easier to just disregard science when it didn’t suit your beliefs. Gosh, God must have planted dinosaur bones to trick people, right?

But let’s get something straight. You were not intelligent growing up. You never did particularly well in school. Maybe you managed to eek out a college degree, but that’s probably about it. You’re not good at anything that requires brain power, and you’re looking up at co-workers who passed you by at work because they’re are smarter than you. You’ve got an excuse and a conspiracy theory for everything, but the truth is you are where you are in life because you’re an imbecile. Fundamentally, you know this even if you won’t admit it.

Back