2022 SD Surf Cup

You're probably right about tying but the only people that care (right now) are parents of players. Say anything and your kid is out of the club.

Overtime lawyers will smell the blood in the water and start taking clubs to court.

Just an fyi Soccer isn't the only sport that does this with Hotels, It's common in all youth sports.
The strength of the antitrust laws has been eviscerated by the supreme court. There's no case there. A change to the system will require the concerted actions by a large enough percentage soccer parents who care about making it fair for everyone, not just the wealthy. And what are the chances of that?

The strength of the antitrust laws has been eviscerated by the supreme court. There's no case there. A change to the system will require the concerted actions by a large enough percentage soccer parents who care about making it fair for everyone, not just the wealthy. And what are the chances of that?
Just to be clear, Surf Cup didnt invent the practice of making a percent off players staying at specific hotels. It's an industry standard for many different types of youth sports.

Last week I heard of competitive dance teams doing a tournement in florida + parents going through the same issues with hotels.

Just to be clear, Surf Cup didnt invent the practice of making a percent off players staying at specific hotels. It's an industry standard for many different types of youth sports.

Last week I heard of competitive dance teams doing a tournement in florida + parents going through the same issues with hotels.

Tournaments could use their power the other way around, offering hotels the opportunity to get preferred billing on the tournament website if they offer group-rate discounts to teams. And them sell advertising to those hotels along with that.

Parents could put a stop to it by speaking with the coach and TM. The club puts high cost, high profile tournaments on the schedule because they think parents want it. If it’s not what you want, say so.

Parents could put a stop to it by speaking with the coach and TM. The club puts high cost, high profile tournaments on the schedule because they think parents want it. If it’s not what you want, say so.
Most parents are not experienced enough to realize that this behavior is abusive -- it just looks like the way things are. By the time that parents are sick of this, their kids have aged out.

So I'm trying to look ahead for this year's SurfCup in July. I've only been a CA resident since 2019 (was overseas prior) I am assuming SurfCup is an annual event in July. Is it just a bad coincidence that it's falling same weekend as ComicCon or is this by design?
I'm not upset about having to choose between my MCU Cosplay opportunities vs my daughter's games, I am more just poleaxed by the insane costs and lack of availability of lodging and transportation that weekend.
Unlike a lot of my NorCal Silicon Valley (and probably SoCal) brethren >$200 a night for a hotel room is insane to me. My median income vectors toward used Toyota corollas not Tesla so I got to ask WTF? How can folks afford this? And its supposed to be Stay and Play.
In March, my older daughter took part in the showcase in LV. They played a team from LA, can't remember their club name (my daughter's teammates parents probably pull more individually in a yearly salary than probably the whole team) but I took some perverse satisfaction watching those inner city young women put a smackdown on us. It was almost "Disney like". My point is, I could have seen in Las Vegas that team finding a hotel, doubling up in rooms to make it work, LV is wide enough and had the capacity to support various socioeconomic parents, but I worry for our sport, that a premier event like Surfcup, will IMO, set such a high bar for participation that we become a "rich white people sport."
I guess in retrospect, my point should have been, that I would hope future tournament directors maybe take into consideration the date of their tournaments and have more flexibility regarding the "stay to play" rule.
Honestly right now, even if they canceled "stay to play," it's not like there is all kinds of hotels that are going to be available that are more affordable. The whole SoCal area is crazy expensive July 21-25.
Much like I think "PayToPlay" is idiotic I think "StaytoPlay" is not particularly smart either, however where "PayToPlay" has always been lacking in intelligence, I believe "staytoplay" probably started out with good intentions and morphed into a money grab. Contrary to my earlier posts, I am not against capitalism, I am against everyone for themself greed because I believe it will destroy the sport.

Regarding "Stay and Play", I just don't like "hidden fees".
Add the kickback to the tournament fees and teams, clubs, and parents can decide to play it or not.
Don't advertise $1,000/team but it's actually $1,000 + $800 per family because they're required to stay 3 nights.
And lodging is one of those things where people have a lot of alternatives for - hotel reward stays, credit card travel points, Airbnb, commuting from nearby cities, camping, RVs, etc.
To tie people down to only specific set of hotels isn't making the trip more convenient. It just increases costs for each family.

Unless your kid‘s team is in the top level bracket, there are lots of tournaments which cost less and provide equally good competition.

I would even argue that the top level / flight type of teams can stay local and play up an age instead of traveling to SD or Vegas or AZ or TX or beyond if apt competition is a concern.

I would much rather do that and sleep in my own bed and save $1000 in lodging and food.

Who can afford to spend $1000/tournament x 5 every year? Is everyone in youth soccer really that rich? :p

I would even argue that the top level / flight type of teams can stay local and play up an age instead of traveling to SD or Vegas or AZ or TX or beyond if apt competition is a concern.

I would much rather do that and sleep in my own bed and save $1000 in lodging and food.

Who can afford to spend $1000/tournament x 5 every year? Is everyone in youth soccer really that rich? :p
Dont forget the $15 needed to park per day ;-)

Regarding "Stay and Play", I just don't like "hidden fees".
Add the kickback to the tournament fees and teams, clubs, and parents can decide to play it or not.
Don't advertise $1,000/team but it's actually $1,000 + $800 per family because they're required to stay 3 nights.
And lodging is one of those things where people have a lot of alternatives for - hotel reward stays, credit card travel points, Airbnb, commuting from nearby cities, camping, RVs, etc.
To tie people down to only specific set of hotels isn't making the trip more convenient. It just increases costs for each family.
I remember my first "you better stay & pay or no play" threats four years ago. First off, I took that stupid rule to the test and got air b n b for $50. I found out the hard way that a coach and a TM can make life hard for you for breaking the unwritten rules of the elite. Plus all the expensive "team" dinners. I also had to chip in ((cough up)) per diem for coaches Palace, 1st class air travel, sports car and all his lobsters & steaks. Keep in mind this coach promised me and my dd to our faces that he would only carry 18 players on his all-star roster. I heard that some coaches can carry up to 23 and that's why I got him on the record. He also promised me if I paid for his stupid private lessons he can get my dd a good deal in college. Any way, dude broke his promise left and right because Surf broke their promise to all the parents of the 03s ((sold ECNL one day and then DPL next day)) and this coach picked up two of their free agents ((and their money)) for 20 players now, extra pay and extra privates for coach. I was so shocked another top of the line coach would break his promise. His expalnation was complete horse shit and full of lies so I went around him to his boss and the boss asked, "did you get it in writing." I said, "Are you freaking kidding me?" He said you have to get things in writing because coaches always break their promises :( Basically, it all depends on if your TM is a snitch. I just talked PM with a cool dad and he is saying SD hotels are now over $400 a night. I can set up my Trailer for anyone down by Oceanside. I'm thinking of offering it for free to any family in need of a place. I love this tournament and I think "all kids" should have a chance at the Cup, not just for those who can pay $2,000 for a trip to beautiful SD.

Is Air BNb even cheaper nowadays?

seems like host now want you to clean the entire house , take off sheets , take out trash then they tack on another $150 in cleaning fees

Is Air BNb even cheaper nowadays?

seems like host want you to clean the entire house , take off sheets , take out trash then they tack on another $150 in cleaning fees
It's not $50, no way. Laguna has a room for $900 a night by the beach. I bet air b n b is way to high in Del Mar. My buddy is going through a divorce and rents one room ((shares a bathroom with another person on other side)) for $2100 a month and he has ti drive to the beach. The owner rents out 6 rooms to 6 single professionals. Dude is killing it and has another house he does the same with. $2100 is the cheap room. The Master Suite goes for $4000 a month. I think he pulls in around $20K a month for just a big house and no land. His mortgage is paid off too so he is set.

It's not $50, no way. Laguna has a room for $900 a night by the beach. I bet air b n b is way to high in Del Mar. My buddy is going through a divorce and rents one room ((shares a bathroom with another person on other side)) for $2100 a month and he has ti drive to the beach. The owner rents out 6 rooms to 6 single professionals. Dude is killing it and has another house he does the same with. $2100 is the cheap room. The Master Suite goes for $4000 a month. I think he pulls in around $20K a month for just a big house and no land. His mortgage is paid off too so he is set.
I would recommend Carlsbad campgrounds! Seen it done............

I would recommend Carlsbad campgrounds! Seen it done............
Its packed bro on the weekends. If you plan ahead 12 months, you can get's a killer spot. I would allow for tent camping on the fields this year to help with inflation and high gas cost, free over night RV parking and any relief possible. Many Surf families can open up all their houses for families in need. The middle class is now priced out of Elite soccer you guys. It truly is for the Elite parents who can stay and pay and pay to play. My buddy will be in for at least $20,000 this year just to have their dd play travel elite soccer. If they go to VA, it's $25k this year, maybe more. If your dd is on a championship team for next four years, your forking out over $100K to be looked out for the next level. I pulled my kid because this expense four years ago and just did part time.

seems like host now want you to clean the entire house , take off sheets , take out trash then they tack on another $150 in cleaning fees

I never understood that. Soon they'll ask us to mow the lawn, iron the shirts, and fix the leak before checking out...
"Please take care of the house like it's your own" they say.
Mannn, I'm paying you so I don't have to and eat pizza in bed. Don't tell me to clean up... -_-

Its packed bro on the weekends. If you plan ahead 12 months, you can get's a killer spot. I would allow for tent camping on the fields this year to help with inflation and high gas cost, free over night RV parking and any relief possible. Many Surf families can open up all their houses for families in need. The middle class is now priced out of Elite soccer you guys. It truly is for the Elite parents who can stay and pay and pay to play. My buddy will be in for at least $20,000 this year just to have their dd play travel elite soccer. If they go to VA, it's $25k this year, maybe more. If your dd is on a championship team for next four years, your forking out over $100K to be looked out for the next level. I pulled my kid because this expense four years ago and just did part time.

turn the polo fields into a KOA campground , that would be great lol

keep crying bum

You're probably right about tying but the only people that care (right now) are parents of players. Say anything and your kid is out of the club.

Overtime lawyers will smell the blood in the water and start taking clubs to court.

Just an fyi Soccer isn't the only sport that does this with Hotels, It's common in all youth sports.
No, sorry, it is NOT common in all youth sports.

I guess in retrospect, my point should have been, that I would hope future tournament directors maybe take into consideration the date of their tournaments and have more flexibility regarding the "stay to play" rule.
Honestly right now, even if they canceled "stay to play," it's not like there is all kinds of hotels that are going to be available that are more affordable. The whole SoCal area is crazy expensive July 21-25.
Much like I think "PayToPlay" is idiotic I think "StaytoPlay" is not particularly smart either, however where "PayToPlay" has always been lacking in intelligence, I believe "staytoplay" probably started out with good intentions and morphed into a money grab. Contrary to my earlier posts, I am not against capitalism, I am against everyone for themself greed because I believe it will destroy the sport.
Pair up with a few families and rent a vrbo. You’ll be better off all the way around.

Back