2022 SD Surf Cup

NorCalUSN

SILVER
So I'm trying to look ahead for this year's SurfCup in July. I've only been a CA resident since 2019 (was overseas prior) I am assuming SurfCup is an annual event in July. Is it just a bad coincidence that it's falling same weekend as ComicCon or is this by design?
I'm not upset about having to choose between my MCU Cosplay opportunities vs my daughter's games, I am more just poleaxed by the insane costs and lack of availability of lodging and transportation that weekend.
Unlike a lot of my NorCal Silicon Valley (and probably SoCal) brethren >$200 a night for a hotel room is insane to me. My median income vectors toward used Toyota corollas not Tesla so I got to ask WTF? How can folks afford this? And its supposed to be Stay and Play.
In March, my older daughter took part in the showcase in LV. They played a team from LA, can't remember their club name (my daughter's teammates parents probably pull more individually in a yearly salary than probably the whole team) but I took some perverse satisfaction watching those inner city young women put a smackdown on us. It was almost "Disney like". My point is, I could have seen in Las Vegas that team finding a hotel, doubling up in rooms to make it work, LV is wide enough and had the capacity to support various socioeconomic parents, but I worry for our sport, that a premier event like Surfcup, will IMO, set such a high bar for participation that we become a "rich white people sport."

So I'm trying to look ahead for this year's SurfCup in July. I've only been a CA resident since 2019 (was overseas prior) I am assuming SurfCup is an annual event in July. Is it just a bad coincidence that it's falling same weekend as ComicCon or is this by design?
I'm not upset about having to choose between my MCU Cosplay opportunities vs my daughter's games, I am more just poleaxed by the insane costs and lack of availability of lodging and transportation that weekend.
Unlike a lot of my NorCal Silicon Valley (and probably SoCal) brethren >$200 a night for a hotel room is insane to me. My median income vectors toward used Toyota corollas not Tesla so I got to ask WTF? How can folks afford this? And its supposed to be Stay and Play.
In March, my older daughter took part in the showcase in LV. They played a team from LA, can't remember their club name (my daughter's teammates parents probably pull more individually in a yearly salary than probably the whole team) but I took some perverse satisfaction watching those inner city young women put a smackdown on us. It was almost "Disney like". My point is, I could have seen in Las Vegas that team finding a hotel, doubling up in rooms to make it work, LV is wide enough and had the capacity to support various socioeconomic parents, but I worry for our sport, that a premier event like Surfcup, will IMO, set such a high bar for participation that we become a "rich white people sport."
check out the surrounding area like Oceanside and Carlsbad. Del Mar is expensive. Also try Encinitas. All those locations will be close enough

check out the surrounding area like Oceanside and Carlsbad. Del Mar is expensive. Also try Encinitas. All those locations will be close enough
Yeah, i've looked from Pendleton to the border the pickings are not great. And when you think you found a place in a good price range you check Yelp and you start searching again.

Yeah, i've looked from Pendleton to the border the pickings are not great. And when you think you found a place in a good price range you check Yelp and you start searching again.

My kids team is having the same issue. We were given a few choices for hotels and they are $400 a night or higher. And that doesn't include the $20 or higher per night for parking at the hotel or $10 per day parking at the field.

Temecula is a little insane now as well

try Escondido , you can avoid the 5 if playing at either de mar or Oceanside( closer than Temecula ).

You could also look at San Marcos and Vista
Chula Vista and Otay Mesa if you’re looking for cheaper options. Holliday Inn at Otay Mesa, Chula Vista and National City is around $180-220 a night.

I'm not upset about having to choose between my MCU Cosplay opportunities vs my daughter's games, I am more just poleaxed by the insane costsIn my opinion and lack of availability of lodging and transportation that weekend.
In my opinion, USSF and USYSA should stomp down hard on the stay-and-play abuses. I have observed the two extremes: A few years back, the Western Regional USYSA tournament was held in Albuquerque -- the winners of the various State Cups were expected to play in the tournament as the next step toward the USYSA national tournament a few weeks afterward. The Albuquerque committee running the show set it up as a stay-and-play tournament, which meant that the various State Cup Champions had no choice for hotel rooms except to book through the Tournament website. A quick survey showed that open-market price quotes for rooms in the same hotels were 10% to 20% below the rates quoted by the website.

On the other hand, our boys team was fortunate to earn a spot in the USL Super-20 North American Finals in Rockford, Illinois. The tournament directors there arranged for group rates lower than the open market rate at the headquarters hotel and did not require the teams to stay there (amost half of our team stayed in a big house owned by one player's uncle not far from the fields.)

Chula Vista and Otay Mesa if you’re looking for cheaper options. Holliday Inn at Otay Mesa, Chula Vista and National City is around $180-220 a night.
I think you are missing a point of "stay and play" concept about staying at tournament preferred hotels

I think you are missing a point of "stay and play" concept about staying at tournament preferred hotels
I just wish the stay and play would show how much you are saving. It always seems like if you don't book through them your team is going to get fined or penalized.

Sleep in your car

I just wish the stay and play would show how much you are saving. It always seems like if you don't book through them your team is going to get fined or penalized.
Stay and play has nothing to do with saving money for parents.

Stay and play is about kickbacks to the tournament organizers. This may or may not be the same as the hosting club.

You can tell the difference by looking at whether staying at the hotel is required. If the tournament requires certain hotels, then there is a kickback. If the tournament has a preferred list with no requirement, then they tried to negotiate a good deal for you.

I’m not sure about how pay to play works. But if you both have DOD ID’s, this is a great option about 15 minutes from polo fields. $139.00 per night (no tax) & free breakfast. You may also reserve rooms for the team depending on availability.
I've used this option before to stay at Camp Pendleton when we had games in Oceanside but there was no stay and play requirement. Surf Cup requires teams to stay at hotels listed by Maverick Sports Travel.

..., but I worry for our sport, that a premier event like Surfcup, will IMO, set such a high bar for participation that we become a "rich white people sport."
Well .. I am going to cross out the "white" from your statement. IT IS already a rich people sport. Mi kids are just starting out and this thread scares me. Hearing all this travel and even regular out of town games. Honestly I know I cannot afford it so I will definitely not going above Flight 1 no matter how good my kids improve. Sad thing is I already make 6 digits income so US definitely left a lot of talented kids behind.

"rich white people sport" you sound incredibly stupid

Well .. I am going to cross out the "white" from your statement. IT IS already a rich people sport. Mi kids are just starting out and this thread scares me. Hearing all this travel and even regular out of town games. Honestly I know I cannot afford it so I will definitely not going above Flight 1 no matter how good my kids improve. Sad thing is I already make 6 digits income so US definitely left a lot of talented kids behind.
it is an extremely expensive sport many years removed from when I was just a kid and my our recreation league only required a $5 fee for our jerseys. Uniform kits, travel, etc it gets very expensive. My opinion is that our sport will miss out on a lot of talented kids with potential in a "paytoplay" world which is incredibly stupid.

it is an extremely expensive sport many years removed from when I was just a kid and my our recreation league only required a $5 fee for our jerseys. Uniform kits, travel, etc it gets very expensive. My opinion is that our sport will miss out on a lot of talented kids with potential in a "paytoplay" world which is incredibly stupid.
I was already shocked when my local AYSO all-star/extra/premier charged $1500+ last year and now club soccer expenses is just not making any sense. I guess it is normal for ice skating, skiing, tennis...that is what my friends said but I disagree...soccer should not be this expensive.

Back